Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2011 8:27:35 AM EDT
Guy is delivering and setting up my new washer/dryer from Lowes.

Am I supposed to tip the guy when he's done?

To be honest, I'm really not inclined to. I'm sick of everyone expecting a little extra from me just for doing their job.
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 8:29:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Then don't tip. He is getting an hourly wage. I too am tired of so many expecting a tip.

What makes him more entitled to a tip than the cop who comes when you house gets vandalized or the nurse who draws your blood?
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 8:29:46 AM EDT
[#2]
No, but you could offer him a soda or a cup of coffee.

It always pays to be nice.
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

To be honest, I'm really not inclined to. I'm sick of everyone expecting a little extra from me just for doing their job.

Are they earning tip wages (like waitresses, bellhops and pizza delivery)?    

Link Posted: 3/19/2011 8:34:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are they earning tip wages (like waitresses, bellhops and pizza delivery)?    

No way.

Link Posted: 3/19/2011 8:36:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This, but no beer until after your shit is setup.
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 8:38:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I used to have a side job delivering appliances.

I wouldn't dream of getting a delivery like that and not tipping.
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Well how much am I supposed to tip him then?

Link Posted: 3/19/2011 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#8]
The only tip I give delivery/setup guys is don't fuck up my stuff/track shit on my floor.

Plus I usually give them a Gatorade or something to quench their thirsts after they finish, sometimes lunch if they come at the right time.   One guy asked if that was marijuana he smelled and if I would smoke him up.

Link Posted: 3/19/2011 8:42:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is what I do. I will offer them a drink or something and maybe something to eat depending upon the time of day. I don't think they need to be tipped since they are doing their job and not making less than minimum wage.
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#10]
No they're not pizza delivery guys or waiters.
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 8:45:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I work in the retail furniture & appliance business.  My delivery guys don't get tips very often.  I'd say that most days they don't get any tips––and a full day is something like 15 deliveries.

If they do an exceptional job or your delivery is particularly difficult, a tip might be appropriate.

My guys definitely don't go into a home expecting a tip.

ETA - sometimes a tip of a 6-pack is better than cash.

Link Posted: 3/19/2011 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#12]
What about a UPS driver that just unloaded 500 lbs.of ammo?
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Did you have the option of picking up the appliance yourself?

If yes, and you declined, you could throw him $20.  

If the store has everything shipped from a warehouse; I wouldn't because I couldn't have brought it home myself.

Hope that makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I will only tip if they go above and beyond. For example, moving a heavy oar armoire up a flight of stairs.

I bought a treadmill and the teamster driver hinted for a tip, but I ignored it since I know he makes more than me. And didn't do much.
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

One guy asked if that was marijuana he smelled and if I would smoke him up.  

Did you?

Link Posted: 3/19/2011 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Tipping is reserved for exceptional service.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 8:54:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I used to work for lowe's, and I did deliveries sometimes.  I never expected a tip.  In fact, we were specifically told not to take tips.  Occasionally people would insist upon it, and that was nice, but I never had any expectations of it.  None of the drivers or people I went with ever complained about not getting tips or anything either.
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 9:00:25 AM EDT
[#18]
When I had my new gun safe delivered, I tipped the two deliverymen 20 bucks.

Nothing said I had to I guess, but I felt they earned it.

(I would have felt like an ass just signing the delivery acceptance form and saying "goodbye" while they were standing there with sweat pouring off of them).
Link Posted: 3/19/2011 9:00:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Well how much am I supposed to tip him then?

When I got my big screen TV, the two guys that delivered it came up two flights of stairs.

I threw them a tenner each.

Delivered a Sub-Zero up three flights once, the guy threw my buddy and I a twenty each. And I thought we were worth it.

Of course, we did the job right... took down doors, didn't leave a mark.

Heck, on tough jobs, we damn near took folks' houses apart. But, when we left, there were no dings on doors, no scratches on walls... no damage at all.

We took out time, and we did it right. A lot of deliverymen don't.

If they do a good job, I think ten each isn't unreasonable. (Washers and dryers aren't that heavy.)

Watch how they work. Do they take care? Then thank them for it. Like I said, a lot of guys don't.

Heck, as long as someone was willing to take care of us, we'd take the cardboard, too. And that was NOT our job.

Refrigerators were the best. For a $20 removal fee, we'd take the old one away, and folks were happy to pay it.

And then we'd go sell it to the junkman.

Link Posted: 3/19/2011 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Tipping is reserved for exceptional service.
 YMMV.
And when it comes to appliance delivery, there is definitely "good" service and "bad" service.

Link Posted: 3/19/2011 9:03:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

When I had my new gun safe delivered, I tipped the two deliverymen 20 bucks.

Nothing said I had to I guess, but I felt they earned it.

(I would have felt like an ass just signing the delivery acceptance form and saying "goodbye" while they were standing there with sweat pouring off of them).
I guarantee you... they were grateful.

Link Posted: 3/19/2011 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I bought a porch swing a couple of weeks ago frOm a guy set up on a lot close to my house. It was a great price and quality swing. I was in my car and told him I would have to come back and get it some other time when I had a truck. He asked where I lived and I told him a mile away. He said he would bring it for me. When we unloaded it he looked in the back of his truck and handed me a set of hardware to hang it. He got a $20

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 8:29:36 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I will only tip if they go above and beyond. For example, moving a heavy oar armoire up a flight of stairs.

I bought a treadmill and the teamster driver hinted for a tip, but I ignored it since I know he makes more than me. And didn't do much.

I was a Teamster driver delivering Furniture & Appliances for Montgomery Wards we were paid $5.30 a stop, there were days I didn't make minimum wage. When hired it was promised that deliveries would be close enough to make at least 4 an hour, didn't work out that way and I quit after 6-7 months.  

Link Posted: 3/20/2011 8:30:42 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I always do this, but never tip

Link Posted: 3/20/2011 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Still no, that's his job and the company's truck and gas.

The one time I received tips was delivering medication at a pharmacy.  Of course it was my car and my gas, but the pharmacy paid my hourly time.  Eventually the pharmacy went to a different hourly rate for deliveries since many patients couldn't or wouldn't tip.  

Link Posted: 3/20/2011 8:50:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I always tip anyone that steps foot in the house.  I don't know why, but I would feel funny not doing so.  What they make isn't a factor in this for me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

had a hot chick once deliver a couch from crate and barrel - i offered her a test drive on my new couch, she didn't think it was funny

Link Posted: 3/20/2011 8:55:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

They are unionized... They get nothing.
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 9:02:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are unionized... They get nothing.

Also make between 60-80k a year.
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 9:04:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

anytime someone does a really good job, im inclined to tip. if i get a rude guy, or a slacker, or someone whos doing something halfassed, no tip......... especially for waitresses.....
Link Posted: 3/20/2011 9:04:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Top Top