Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2002 9:42:19 PM EDT
I have an athlon 1.4 ghz processor with 224mb of memory. This thing was super fast with windows 98 but crashed alot. Now with windows xp its slow but never crashes.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:47:58 PM EDT
[#1]
oops  ;)
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#2]
First of all, Ken 226, how do you get 224MB?  You mean 256MB?  Also SKSBoy, Athlon 1.4GHz is AMD, not Pentium.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:53:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
First of all, Ken 226, how do you get 224MB?  You mean 256MB?
View Quote

My guess would be a AGP video chip on-board, with 32 megs of main memory assigned to it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:55:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
First of all, Ken 226, how do you get 224MB?  You mean 256MB?  Also SKSBoy, Athlon 1.4GHz is AMD, not Pentium.
View Quote

I'll take a stab at it!  It's a Compaq and it robs 32mb for the video memory.  Shit they don't tell you when you buy it.

Damn, Kar98 beat me to it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#5]
its an AMD Athlon 1.4 with an Asus a7a266 motherboard. I have 1-128mb stick of ram 1-64mb stick of ram and 1-32mb stick of ram. It runs everything ok it just takes alot longer for programs or individual windows to open than it did under windows 98se
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh oh Kar98 is here I'm gone , actually there are several things you can do to optimize your system's performance , too many to list here :
Here are some good links
[url]www.anandtech.com[/url]
[url]www.viahardware.com[/url]
[url]www.sysopt.com[/url]
[url]www.socketa.com[/url]
[url]www.amdzone.com[/url]

I could go on and on , but this isn't the place for it .
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#7]
for example when i click on "start" under windows xp it takes about three seconds for the start menu to appear. Under win98 the start menu came up the instant i clicked the start button. and when i start Ghost Recon under winxp it takes about 45 seconds befor the program starts, under win98 it took about 10 seconds.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#8]
You should run more than 256 or Ram. Win XP uses up a lot of ram just to run the OS. I have 256 megs at work, if I open too many programs at the same time, things get slow and buggy.

512 is probably minimum for XP. DDR ram is cheap now, I just bought a single 512 stick of PC2100 ram for $140.00.

Also, customize your display and get rid of all the fancy window effects. I basically customized my XP interface to look like the classic Win-nt and everything sped up.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 11:30:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 12:04:10 AM EDT
[#10]
You may also want to scan for viruses, they eat up CPU and can impact a systems performance.

I would also say get more RAM while the stuffs affordable; in XP your going to want about 256~384 minimum in RAM. Also, get your self a faster Hard Disk.  Believe it or not, your HD causes the greatest impact to performance of your system, more than your processor and ram.  Just remember to have enough RAM so you don’t have to page to the HD so much, that’s a [b]Major Plus[/b].  
- Sulaco
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 3:20:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I am running on a new Micron PC at the office with the following, and it's operating at light speed!

2.0Ghz P4 CPU
1.5gig PC133 SDRAM
10k RPM SCSI A/V HD's (2)

I have found that XP seems to be power hungry, and needs a ton of reserve memory to operate properly.  Also, since you "upgraded", you should make sure that your drivers are up to spec to use XP... most are not!
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 3:59:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have an athlon 1.4 ghz processor with 224mb of memory. This thing was super fast with windows 98 but crashed alot. Now with windows xp its slow but never crashes.
View Quote

You have to turn off all the pretty effects like fade ins and shadowing. I just built a Pentium 4 system with Windows XP and I left all that memory and speed robbing crap turned off.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:06:15 AM EDT
[#13]
If you just did an upgrade over your Win98 OS and not a reformat, fresh full install, that
could cause it too. Also, make sure all of your drivers are current and strip off all of that
gay eye candy crap that XP loads up by default.

If you're using cheap crappy no-name from the hack shop memory - toss it and get some good sticks of Crucial.
Crap memory can cost you in speed & performance. Win98 may have been able to deal with it, but ever since Win2k, it's gotta be good stuff!
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:55:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's your computer.

Get more memory, it's dirt cheap anyway.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:03:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am running on a new Micron PC at the office with the following, and it's operating at light speed!

2.0Ghz P4 CPU
1.5gig PC133 SDRAM
10k RPM SCSI A/V HD's (2)

View Quote

You Bastard!

Eric/Tyler
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 6:05:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Make sure you do a fresh install of XP. I had a Win98 machine I "upgraded", ran slower than molassas.

Preformed a clean install, and it's lightning quick. The PC is a P3 500 with 256 megs ram. XP runs fine on it as long as I installed it clean.

I have XP running on my primary machine, and it's FAST!

P4 2.53 ghz (just came in yesterday!)
1 gig RDRAM
120 gig hdd

Av.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 6:42:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Huge diffrence here.. I was using Win 98 (Crap. Absolute crap.) then installed XP.. Really sped things up.. This is on an assemblage of parts faintly resembling a computer, running an AMD K6II, and around 400 odd MB RAM.. (I just stuff in what I can find and afford..It's a computer, not a rifle.)

Shoud fly on your rig, considering the description..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 7:44:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Having to wait 3-5 seconds for a response is not typical, regardless if you are using DDR RAM or the older SDRAM.

It would appear that your PC is busy doing other tasks.  I would try to bring up Task Manager, and order your processes by CPU time.  This should tell you what processes are currently utilizing the CPU.  You can also use Task Manager to check the memory stats, and see if you have utilized all your memory, and the PC is having to swap memory space to disk.  This would definatly slow your machine down.

An easy way to sort out your problem is to reboot your pc.  Start all your nomal program, one at a time while checking your system response.  If you have one applicaiton that causes a slowdown regardless if you load it first, then you have an application that is running at a high priority and taking controll of you CPU.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#19]
For shits and giggles, I had a tech here where I work install XP over 98SE.

Same problems you seem to have. Response time stinks, 3 second delay when he clicks the Start button, just downright slow.

Told the tech to preform a fresh install on the same machine, no problems. Ran quite fast.

The machine the tech used was a Dell Optiplex GX200. 256 meg memory, P3 9XX mgz (don't remember the spec).

Av.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top