Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#1]

here ya go...

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/liberty86%2Fasshole%2520%281%29%2Ejpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Wasn't *quite* sure, got a litle edgy, there.  I don't normally discuss sexual habits and practices in person, let alone the internet.  Uptight, perhaps?

It's [u]Wilbert[/u] Fordyce (no, really)... a very smart and funny man with a hearing impediment (which actually made him even funnier).  One of his little quips was, "People with better things to do don't suffer so much."  That, and "information is a very low-grade way of changing behavior."  I really liked him.

This your guy?

Gracián, Baltasar

(bältäsär´ gräthyän´) (KEY) , 1601–58, Spanish Jesuit philosopher and writer. A scholar, satirist, and epigrammatist, Gracián frequently ran afoul of Jesuit authority. El héroe (1637) and El político (1640) are treatises on the ideal qualities for political leaders. Agudeza y arte de ingenio [the wit and art of genius] (1643) is an analysis of poetry. Oráculo manual y arte de prudencia (1647) contains maxims and instructions for acquiring worldly wisdom. Gracián’s masterpiece is the allegorical and pessimistic novel El criticón (3 parts, 1651–57), which contrasts an idyllic primitive life with the evils of civilization. It brought him exile and disgrace.
View Quote

Cool!  I admire your depth.  Me, I'm too lazy and too stupid to work my way through such things.  Straight as an arrow, just lazy and stupid.

I'm sure I, too, would appreciate any satirist that gets exiled for his ideas.  Tell me more...
View Quote

The Art of Worldly Wisdom sits on my desk at all times along with The Art of War, The James Thurber Collection, and the Holy Bible.

It's an eclectic mix. I highly recommend Gracian's works and you can find most of his writings on the internet by searching his name in Google. One site escapes me but it did have the entire compendium of his maxims. The Catholic Church hated him because he was considered a total radical. Especially since he was a Jesuit (who we all know were/are the ninja of the Catholic Church).

I thought it might be Wil. Fordyce at first but the other famed Fordyce is James, a famous Scottish minister who was actually sort of revolutionary for his day. Since your moniker is DScott, I took a chance on the cultural association instead of the more obscure behavioral academic. I was delightedly proven wrong.

Link Posted: 5/7/2002 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
benDover,

entertaining series of posts, this one. although not as funny as when i checked your user profile out of curiosity, and saw a dude wearing a skirt!! thats not you is it? even funnier because i saw that guy on TV this morning on that male version of "The View" show. so is it you? i need to know.

View Quote

Heavens no. That pic was for an old post on here from many months ago. How on earth could I have an Angelina Jolie and a CZJ gallery, but then be posing in a skirt? Use some logic my good man.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top