Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2011 6:57:10 PM EDT
want one to do a little fishin,like one with a wide bottom.narrow ones are a little tippy .any suggestions/
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Flat, wide bottoms are ok for calm lakes and ponds, but for rivers or heavier water, a deeper and narrower bottom actually makes it less likely to tip over although it feels tippier initially.

For something durable, look at the Old Town Discoveries. I've wrapped them around bridge pylons in whitewater races and had them pop right back into shape. They are might heavy to tote around alone though.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I got an old used one from the Boy Scout auctions.  Used from summer camps.  I think I gave $75, for my old one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2011 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Old Town square stern
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 4:04:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Tippa.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 4:23:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Mad River...

No other options...
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 4:29:10 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are going to be fishing solo, might I recommend a good fishing kayak? They are much easier to maneuver and easier to paddle into the wind. I have an Old Town Vapor 10 and I can actually take my 10 year old daughter along with me.

My daughter catching a redfish:

Link Posted: 2/11/2011 4:29:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Old town discovery is the standard for most ppl  the OT camper is nice for a flat water , My mom had one of those mad river poly deals about 14 foot long that seems ok . I prefer kayaks ,I have a tarpon 160i , faster , less wind issues , able to handle rougher water and I can set on ine sideways and fish with my feet in the water if I want to.

I have fished small streams to the ocean on it .

I didnt hook up to my bass boat any last year ...

Link Posted: 2/11/2011 4:32:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Mad River hands down.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 4:33:41 AM EDT
[#9]
line bottom with beer and ice.  tippy problem solved.  tipsy problem created.  its a trade off.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 4:34:18 AM EDT
[#10]
In before "get a kayak" (ETA: Damn, took too long to post)

I'm torn. I've done a fair amount of river floating on Ozark streams in both rented canoes and others owned by friends. Part of me likes the aluminum canoes like the old Grummans. They last forever and you can pound out the dents.  There's some kind of charm about a classic aluminum canoe. Still, they tend to stick on rocks and they're heavier. The plastic boats (Old Town, Mad River) are sure nice. They're light, and they tend to bounce off of stuff rather than stick. I don't think they're as durable and I suspect every canoe livery operator would tell you that. I can't imagine I would ever do enough floating to wear one out, though.

For me it would come down to whatever I could get the best deal on. If I could find a nice 17 foot aluminum canoe for $250 I'd probably buy it. By the same token, if someone offered me a good Old Town or Mad River in the $350 to $400 range, I'd be buying that. If, for some reason, I had to buy new, I'd go plastic.

BTW, a friend has a 19-foot square-stern Grumman. The thing is a barge. You can practically stand on one gunnel and the thing won't tip over.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 4:34:58 AM EDT
[#11]
It really depends on what you plan to use it for.  A good old Grumman Aluminum is fine for muddy rivers and ponds, A Poly or Royalex boat is good for rocks and kevlar is great for open water and portaging.  A good overall boat is royalex and between 15 and 17 feet.  Look into Bell, Wenonah, Old Town, Mad river and Mohawk.  I personally like Wenonah, but they are on the high end of the price scale.  

Also, call the local canoe livery and see if they have any rental boats to sell.  

The canoes from the brands I mentioned will generally be well made and well designed.  The weight of the boat is largely determined by the material.  A polyethylene boat may weigh 80 pounda while a Royalex will be 60 and a kevlar 35ish in the same design.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 4:35:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Old town discovery is the standard for most ppl  the OT camper is nice for a flat water , My mom had one of those mad river poly deals about 14 foot long that seems ok . I prefer kayaks ,I have a tarpon 160i , faster , less wind issues , able to handle rougher water and I can set on ine sideways and fish with my feet in the water if I want to.

That there is cheatin'  Drugging those poor fish like that........might just as well toss some quarter sticks in the water while you're at it........

OP - dad loves his Old Town.  Forget which model but he can unload and load it by himself with no issues and is big enough for two of us (3 if we bring one of the nephews) to cruise the lakes and rivers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 4:37:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Find an old grumann. It will last forever.
I think I paid 175 for my 17 footer.

Grumman Canoes were developed in 1944 as World War II was winding down. Company executive William Hoffman used the company's aircraft aluminum to replace the traditional wood design. The canoes had a reputation for being sturdier, lighter and stronger than their wood counterparts and had a considerable market share. Grumman moved its boat making division to Marathon, New York in 1952. Outboard Marine Corp. bought the division in 1990 and produced the last Grumman-brand canoe in 1996. Shortly thereafter former Grumman executives formed the Marathon Boat Group to produce the canoes. In 2000 the Group worked out an agreement with Northrop Grumman to sell the canoes using Grumman name and logo.[5][6] The Grumman canoes with its logo are used in the movie Deliverance
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 4:39:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mad River...

No other options...

Best company logo,a bunny smoking a pipe.I've had one for a few years and it's been pretty nice.

You can usually find some good deals on canoes on craigslist,mostly Old Towns and older aluminum around here.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 4:41:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Grandpa always told me when it comes to landing women or fish theres no such thing as cheating .
Quoted:

Quoted:

That there is cheatin'  Drugging those poor fish like that........might just as well toss some quarter sticks in the water while you're at it........
OP - dad loves his Old Town.  Forget which model but he can unload and load it by himself with no issues and is big enough for two of us (3 if we bring one of the nephews) to cruise the lakes and rivers.

Oh I also have nicities on my kayak .

Fish finder and gps  ,only pic I have , I added another ram mount later .

Link Posted: 2/11/2011 5:01:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Aluminum canoes look traditional, but they are noisy and weigh a ton.
The only two advantages they have are you can store them outdoors un-sheltered, and you can take them to the recycling center if you somehow trash them severely.

I would suggest you look at the sit-on-top poly kayaks.
The fishing models are extra wide and due to the self-bailing nature and their width, with many you can climb back on them in the water after tipping & righting them. (it is a workout and it takes practice, but it can be done)
Paddling is still easier than a canoe because you're sitting lower and so you don't need to reach "down" as much with the paddles to get them in the water.

I am biased in that I have a poly sit-inside touring kayak, and love it.... but it's not real handy for fishing or anything that requires reaching a lot of gear other than the paddle.

––––-

If you choose a kayak that has a rudder as an option, I heavily suggest you take it too. The rudder helps tremendously with control when on open water.

Link Posted: 2/11/2011 5:13:58 AM EDT
[#17]
get a gheenoe..

nmz or highsider

www.customgheenoe.com
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 5:17:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Just find a big log and chisel away everything that isn't a canoe.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 5:18:29 AM EDT
[#19]
I know it's old-school but if you can find a 17' alum. Grumman latch onto it quick. We had one we trapped in for 35+ years and it was still in great shape when Mom sold it to another trapper. Rivet construction means it is easily repaired. The trade off is weight but it's tough as nails and the most manageable/stable canoe out there. They are pricey when you can find one (we sold ours for $300) but worth every penny.

Link Posted: 2/11/2011 5:23:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The only two advantages they have are you can store them outdoors un-sheltered, and you can take them to the recycling center if you somehow trash them severely.

The fishing models are extra wide and due to the self-bailing nature and their width, with many you can climb back on them in the water after tipping & righting them. (it is a workout and it takes practice, but it can be done)
Paddling is still easier than a canoe because you're sitting lower and so you don't need to reach "down" as much with the paddles to get them in the water.

I am biased in that I have a poly sit-inside touring kayak, and love it.... but it's not real handy for fishing or anything that requires reaching a lot of gear other than the paddle.

––––-

If you choose a kayak that has a rudder as an option, I heavily suggest you take it too. The rudder helps tremendously with control when on open water.

I spent over a week in the Boundary Waters last summer.  I brought my 1975-vintage Grumman aluminum which was procured for the princely sum of $120, and my buddy brought his 2007 Old Town Penobscot.  Wanna guess which one wasn't beat to shit from rocks and whatnot by the end of the week?  Aluminum canoes are tough as shit.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 5:30:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

––––-

I spent over a week in the Boundary Waters last summer.  I brought my 1975-vintage Grumman aluminum which was procured for the princely sum of $120, and my buddy brought his 2007 Old Town Penobscot.  Wanna guess which one wasn't beat to shit from rocks and whatnot by the end of the week?  Aluminum canoes are tough as shit.

Wanna guess which one was more enjoyable to paddle?

I'm a big fan of We-no-nah canoes.  I'm pretty sure there's something in their product line that will fit your needs:

Link Posted: 2/11/2011 5:32:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I like the Wenonah line of canoes.

They are expensive but my 17' Sundowner tracks beautifully and as it is made out of Royalex it stands up to abuse.

They do make one that has a square stern if you want to mount a motor to it.

Link Posted: 2/11/2011 5:35:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Flat, wide bottoms are ok for calm lakes and ponds, but for rivers or heavier water, a deeper and narrower bottom actually makes it less likely to tip over although it feels tippier initially.

For something durable, look at the Old Town Discoveries. I've wrapped them around bridge pylons in whitewater races and had them pop right back into shape. They are might heavy to tote around alone though.

Ah, the French word is "portage".   It means "Holy shit this fucking canoe is a beast and I hope the asshole who picked this route dies screaming."
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 5:38:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Tippa.  

Mad Rever Explorer. You can have it tipped  far enough to have water running in and still not go all the way over. yes, I have done it.

Fred

Link Posted: 2/11/2011 5:42:29 AM EDT
[#25]
I have an old town discovery 158 (15'8").  It has the room of a river barge and paddles like one.

It's stable but heavy as a mofo, 85 ish pounds.  It's stable as hell but if you lean way over (tipping on purpose) she will leap like lightning into the rollover.  80 something pounds beind the gunwhale that smacks you in the head smarts.

I'm leaning toward picking up a kayak, they've fast/less effort consuming and a bit lighter.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 5:44:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Also check out Nova Craft:  http://www.novacraft.com/our_canoes.htm
They're from Canada, eh.  I bought a Prospector last spring.  It is an awesome boat.  They have really nice nylon laced seats, which I like a lot better than cane or webbing.

Since you are in Virginia, you need to check out Appomattox River Company.  www.paddleva.com
I bought my canoe from them and had it shipped to me.  I did it all over the phone, and they were very helpful.  You can try them out before you buy at their stores.  They claim 2500 canoes in stock, and their prices are very good.

I did a LOT of research before buying, and had pretty much settled on the Nova Craft before calling ARC.  I talked to the owner at length on the phone and told him what I wanted without mentioning any brands or models, and he immediately recommended the Prospector, so I knew my research was good.  I ended up calling and talking to 3 different people there before I actually made my purchase and all were very knowledgeable and helpful.  I planned on a trip to ARC for a weekend to try boats, but in the end once I found it was cheaper and easier to ship.

ETA:  Kayaks are great.  I have 2 and they are usually faster and easier to paddle.  Much more efficient.  I bought the canoe so I could start taking the kids with me.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 5:47:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm a big fan of We-no-nah canoes.  I'm pretty sure there's something in their product line that will fit your needs:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/green_c/Camping/111_1138.jpg

Can't say I've ever had an issue with paddling an aluminum canoe, and I've gone plenty of miles in Royalex and Kevlar.  They're a sight nicer to portage, but I'm pretty indifferent to the way they perform in the water.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 6:05:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I've had a 17' Lowe canoe for over 20yrs.  It is stable, very durable and controllable.

It is a bit heavy but it won't fold up in a swift rock strewn river.  I've used it in Saginaw Bay in medium swells and didn't worry about tipping over.
eta: if you can find one, a late 60's early 70's Areocraft will last two lifetimes.

Link Posted: 2/11/2011 6:10:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Mad River hands down.

This !

Link Posted: 2/11/2011 7:06:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v723/green_c/Camping/111_1138.jpg

Can't say I've ever had an issue with paddling an aluminum canoe, and I've gone plenty of miles in Royalex and Kevlar.  They're a sight nicer to portage, but I'm pretty indifferent to the way they perform in the water.

I'm not a snob.  I have both:

My 17 foot Sundowner goes on long trips due to it's light weight and efficiency:

My 17 foot Mich-I-Craft gets used around the cottage as a beater and a sailing canoe since it can sit out in the sun all summer and under the snow all winter w/o any damage:

I also have a 17 foot Grumman square stern canoe to which I mount a 4 HP Johnson at the cottage but I have no pics.

I can definately tell the difference in glide after the stroke and overall energy expenditure for a given speed between the aluminum canoes and the lightweight Royalex Sundowner.  Most We-No-Nah canoes are optimized for speed at the expense of other performance characteristics.  For example my Sundowner has very fine ends.  These make for a wet ride in the rapids or large waves.  It these circumstances I'd chose one of the aluminum canoes over the Sundowner.  Better yet, for and all-a-rounder, I'd choose a canoe of the Prospector design (made by many companies), a Mad River Explorer, or one of the now discontinued Dagger canoes all in Royalex.

Link Posted: 2/11/2011 7:18:47 AM EDT
[#31]
I am more involved with "racing" canoes than fishing, but I agree with the guys saying Wenonah. They make good canoes for just about every use. I also think that you will be happier with a narrow, tippier canoe than a wide, slow one. After a few trips balance will come natural to you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 7:22:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Tag for info.

I've been wanting some sort of canoe or kayak for a while.  I always drool over the ones they have at Dunham's but never buy one because "I want to research online first" then I never look anything up.
Link Posted: 2/11/2011 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Tag for info.

I've been wanting some sort of canoe or kayak for a while.  I always drool over the ones they have at Dunham's but never buy one because "I want to research online first" then I never look anything up.

A Minnesota II or a Jensen 18 would be my canoe if money weren't an issue.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 12:54:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:...I spent over a week in the Boundary Waters last summer.  I brought my 1975-vintage Grumman aluminum which was procured for the princely sum of $120, and my buddy brought his 2007 Old Town Penobscot.  Wanna guess which one wasn't beat to shit from rocks and whatnot by the end of the week?  Aluminum canoes are tough as shit.

I would suggest that if both of you were bouncing off rocks the whole time, then both of you brought the wrong kind of boat for the conditions.

Though I admit it may be that nothing else would have done much better... Next time you might note what kinds of small boats other people use in the same area.

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 3:59:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Lakes, rivers, just you or other people?  What's the story here?  That makes a big difference on length, keel shape, etc.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 4:02:58 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Yes they are.  

I'm guessing your buddy had dry feet––that's why his boat got beat to shit.  I ramming the shore is your thing, then aluminum is definitely the way to go.  Personally, it makes me shudder.

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 4:07:53 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

I am more involved with "racing" canoes than fishing, but I agree with the guys saying Wenonah. They make good canoes for just about every use. I also think that you will be happier with a narrow, tippier canoe than a wide, slow one. After a few trips balance will come natural to you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

I'm not with you there 100%.  We had a Mad River that was terrible for fishing.  Very unstable unless it was fully loaded.  Someone would blink and shit would go sliding around in the bottom.  Not exactly quiet like ninja.

Link Posted: 2/12/2011 4:12:37 AM EDT
[#38]
I've got a Coleman Scanoe with swivel seats. It's great for fishing both the James River and taking out on the lakes.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 4:18:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

First post wins.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 4:29:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Just remember that 'being easy to paddle' isn't terribly important if you're going to spend most of your time floating down a river.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 4:30:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Mad River makes a nice boat.  Royalex is about the best combination between cost, durability and weight in my opinion, although it gives up a little rigidity.  Very forgiving material.

I'm in the market for a 19' Bell or Wenonah kevlar in the next year or two.

Can't go wrong with Old Town for a lazy river "do all" canoe.

I had a 9' kayak for fishing.  I far prefer a canoe and sold the kayak.  Kayak was harder on my back, allowed fewer positions for sitting, less gear, and didn't give me any options for taking others with me.  It takes some practice to handle a 16' canoe meant for 2 people solo, but it can be done without much trouble.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 5:09:17 AM EDT
[#42]
I had a Canoe to fish out of...and went with a Kayak (I'm on 2nd or 3rd generation now)...the Canoe was a pain in the ass to put on the car (esp. after paddling for a long while).    I'd recommend a good fishing Sit On Top kayak....Ocean Kayak makes some nice ones (Prowler/Trident 11T, etc.) and there are other dedicated angler kayaks from other makers.    First time out in the Trident 13, I intentionally rolled it...and had no trouble getting back in (even with my excess poundage).  

Regardless of what you get..."Rig to flip and Dress to Swim".

AFARR
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Lakes, rivers, just you or other people?  What's the story here?  That makes a big difference on length, keel shape, etc.

lakes, rivers, me and the son or wife.stable enough to fish out of. no more than two people at a time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#44]
look at some 2 man kayaks, maybe brands like cobra or hobie. canoes are unstable imo and the only advantage is storage space, other than that i would prefer a kayak.
Link Posted: 2/12/2011 3:25:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Get 2 kayaks or 3 , that way they only sink themselves if they go over lol

Got this one from dicks last year for 170 for my step son

Im going to get the wife a kayak this year
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top