Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2002 6:52:42 AM EDT
Ok, I was at the range (actually a buddies place out in the country)testing out my new Oly Arms .223 plinker. I saw this at a gun show last year and picked it up for my wife becuase of the price.

Well, I got through about three or four mags when the bolt broke in half right where the cam goes through.

Anybody ever had this happen before? I have never heard of an AR bolt breaking. I can only suspect poor metallurgy. Anyone else have negative experiences with the Oly .223 plinker?

I will be calling the dealer today to see if they'll make good.

Thanks for any input you guys might have.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 6:55:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no experience with Oly products but I have seen other post here regarding the bolt breaking on them.  You might want to do a search and see if anything turns up.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 6:55:33 AM EDT
[#2]
No to the bolt problem but my muzzle brake got loose and played hell on my grouping. I took it off and shoot plain barrel now.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Muzlblast,
     There are two post I found, one in trouble shooting called- Bolt Broke in Haft, and the other in General Firearm called- Bolt Broke?  Both regard Oly products.  I would post the links but I'm computer illiterate.
Bill3508
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:05:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow-that is serious. Catastrophic bolt failure. The bolt is suppose to be manufactured of hardened high-strength steel. Did you buy the rifle new from a dealer that was 100% Olympic Arms manufacture? Olympic has a lifetime warranty on their guns. I don't think Oly manufactures it own bolts themselves, but buys them from an outside vendor. I have an Oly bolt that I bought from brand-new, and on the side it has stamped "SE" which I suspect means Smith Enterprises. I have read from Quality Parts Co/Bushmaster catalogs that they magnetic particle inspect their bolts because some may have manufacturing defects that are not visible to the naked eye, and they make it clear that there are sub-standard bolts in the market place. Please let us know what the resolution.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ok, I was at the range (actually a buddies place out in the country)testing out my new Oly Arms .223 plinker. I saw this at a gun show last year and picked it up for my wife becuase of the price.

Well, I got through about three or four mags when the bolt broke in half right where the cam goes through.

Anybody ever had this happen before? I have never heard of an AR bolt breaking. I can only suspect poor metallurgy. Anyone else have negative experiences with the Oly .223 plinker?

View Quote

The AR15 is the worlds most advanced combat rifle and is preferred by military forces everywhere in the world. It is a well known fact that the AR15 never malfunctions and if it does..it is an abnormality.

Whereas the AK47 and the M1A are peices of obsolete junk compared to the AR15.( Not to mention that the prehistoric M1 Garand was last used during the Jurassic Age some 65 million years ago. )
I am sure that the AR "malfunction" that you just experienced is due to an illucination caused by not taking your medication.

As for me..I am very happy to be shooting prehistoric rifles...at least I know that when push comes to shove...they will drop a T. Rex everytime.

Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

The AR15 is the worlds most advanced combat rifle and is preferred by military forces everywhere in the world. It is a well known fact that the AR15 never malfunctions and if it does..it is an abnormality.

Whereas the AK47 and the M1A are peices of obsolete junk compared to the AR15.( Not to mention that the prehistoric M1 Garand was last used during the Jurassic Age some 65 million years ago. )
I am sure that the AR "malfunction" that you just experienced is due to an illucination caused by not taking your medication.

As for me..I am very happy to be shooting prehistoric rifles...at least I know that when push comes to shove...they will drop a T. Rex everytime.

View Quote

That's nothing, I have the new AR15 1/2 (yes as in fifteen and a half) that is all new and made completely of polymer.  It weighs around a pound fully loaded and is accurate out to 1500 yards.  However, the polymer barrel exploded after the first shot.  It sure looked cool before that though.  My friend has a 2" metal pipe about 3 feet long with one end welded shut, he pours in some gunpowder and then some nails, chain links, rocks etc. then taps on the back with a hammer until it goes off.  That thing is damn reliable!!  He makes fun of my AR15 1/2 because his "PIPE-47" (as he calls it) may be ugly but it just won't break.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:12:28 AM EDT
[#7]
When the bolt broke in half, was the sound it made kinda like "Plink!"?  [:)]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
When the bolt broke in half, was the sound it made kinda like "Plink!"?  [:)]
View Quote

[b][blue]Smart Ass[/b][/blue]
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

This happened to me a few weeks ago at Knob Creek.  It was the first round of the first magazine on the first day (Friday).  I chambered a round, flipped the selector to Auto and squeezed the trigger.

[b]BAM!![/b]  Instead of a burst, I got one round that sounded too loud, my hand and face was stinging, and the magazine floorplate blew out and dumped all the rounds onto the ground.

I picked up the magazine parts and ammo, and took the rifle back to the bench.  I had to unscrew the buffer tube and pull the bolt carrier back so I could get the front of the bolt out through the magazine well, then I could close the BC so I could open the upper receiver and remove it.

It turns out it was a defective aftermarket bolt (no manufacturer's mark), and once I replaced it with a DPMS part (the only vendor there who was selling name-brand, non surplus M16 parts), the rifle ran great for the rest of the weekend.

Hey - shit breaks and nothing lasts forever.  And some parts are made better than others.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Marvl you politician! (just kidding)

Happily I have spoken to the dealer and they are going to replace my bolt. Yes customer service still exists. Other than the bolt everything worked fine. I'm glad I am not the only one this has ever happened to.
Thanks all!
Muz
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 1:22:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I would say that is typical OLY quailty.  I am pretty sure if it was non-US commerical factory ammo it is not warrantied.

Oly's AR15 is not safe for mil-spec ammo or reloads.  The warranty information I read said as much. I have had very negative experience with the "customer service" people.  Using the word "service" is really generous for OLY.  Good Luck
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:03:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would say that is typical OLY quailty.  I am pretty sure if it was non-US commerical factory ammo it is not warrantied.

Oly's AR15 is not safe for mil-spec ammo or reloads.  The warranty information I read said as much. I have had very negative experience with the "customer service" people.  Using the word "service" is really generous for OLY.  Good Luck
View Quote

I've owned 2 Olys (pre-ban) so far, and while I haven't put as many rounds through them as I have my M1A (I'm on BostonTerrier's side here) they haven't given me any problems.

Mil-spec ammo such as 5.56x45, 7.62x51, etc, is actually loaded milder than its .223 Rem/.308 Win counterparts. I think the general insistence that "commercial" ammo be used is because some nations making military ammo aren't exactly known for the best QC.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 11:09:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

This happened to me a few weeks ago at Knob Creek.  It was the first round of the first magazine on the first day (Friday).  I chambered a round, flipped the selector to Auto and squeezed the trigger.

[b]BAM!![/b]  Instead of a burst, I got one round that sounded too loud, my hand and face was stinging, and the magazine floorplate blew out and dumped all the rounds onto the ground.

I picked up the magazine parts and ammo, and took the rifle back to the bench.  I had to unscrew the buffer tube and pull the bolt carrier back so I could get the front of the bolt out through the magazine well, then I could close the BC so I could open the upper receiver and remove it.

It turns out it was a defective aftermarket bolt (no manufacturer's mark), and once I replaced it with a DPMS part (the only vendor there who was selling name-brand, non surplus M16 parts), the rifle ran great for the rest of the weekend.

Hey - shit breaks and nothing lasts forever.  And some parts are made better than others.
View Quote

Shooter Scenario: AR15Man - "Bang...Bang...Bang.....(four magazines later) KABANG!!!!" - "Oh Sh!t!" Shooter grabs spare Bolt..and Magazine..

M1 Garand Man - "Bang..Bang..Bang..Bang..Bang..Bang..Bang..Bang..KACHING!" - "Oh Sh!t!" - Shooter reaches for next loaded Enbloc...

Link Posted: 5/8/2002 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Just an FYI, I've owned 2 Oly prebans and they always functioned flawlessly for me (knock on 308wood).  Of course, those were built some years ago.  I don't know if the company is changing direction.  Hopefully not.

Oh, by the way, being called a politician really hurt. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 11:37:24 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Mil-spec ammo such as 5.56x45, 7.62x51, etc, is actually loaded milder than its .223 Rem/.308 Win counterparts. I think the general insistence that "commercial" ammo be used is because some nations making military ammo aren't exactly known for the best QC.
View Quote

Sorry but I hate to break it to you, but MIL-SPEC ammo is loaded hotter than commercial 223. Thats why you shouldn't use 5.56 in guns designed for 223 because the 223's weren't built for the higher camber pressures. Check out the Ammunition Forum and it will explain it.

As far as the bolt breaking on an OLY PLINKER  thats why it broker, OLY's plinker is just that, a PLINKER! It is their cheapest AR-15 they sell, I believe the lower and upper are CAST and that the barrel is NOT chrome lined nor is it cut to a 5.56 chamber.....You get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Shooter Scenario: AR15Man - "Bang...Bang...Bang.....(four magazines later) KABANG!!!!" - "Oh Sh!t!" Shooter grabs spare Bolt..and Magazine..

M1 Garand Man - "Bang..Bang..Bang..Bang..Bang..Bang..Bang..Bang..KACHING!" - "Oh Sh!t!" - Shooter reaches for next loaded Enbloc...
View Quote

Great, you've made your point, you apparently feel the Garand and M1A are combat perfection.  Now quit trolling.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry but I hate to break it to you, but MIL-SPEC ammo is loaded hotter than commercial 223. Thats why you shouldn't use 5.56 in guns designed for 223 because the 223's weren't built for the higher camber pressures. Check out the Ammunition Forum and it will explain it.

As far as the bolt breaking on an OLY PLINKER  thats why it broker, OLY's plinker is just that, a PLINKER! It is their cheapest AR-15 they sell, I believe the lower and upper are CAST and that the barrel is NOT chrome lined nor is it cut to a 5.56 chamber.....You get what you pay for.
View Quote

Well I took a look at the ammo forum and it does say that mil-spec is loaded hotter. Problem is, I've seen specs showing that commercial is loaded hoter as well - I want to say 51,000 C.U.P. for commercial (.308 win) vs 47,000 C.U.P. for mil-spec (7.62x51.)

It's just like the "dimensional differences" dispute - I've seen some reputable sources say they're dimensionally indentical, and others say they aren't. When you have 2 sources with impeccable credentials but who say different things, which do you believe?
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#18]
OLY HAS GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE AND WARRANTY. Hope everything is resolved to your satisfaction.  I have 3, and totally love the 2 I have shot. The fit and finish on the 3rd is awesome...hope it shots as good as it looks!  Have you visited their website and owners forum?  Tom S.(Rattler) can be especially helpful!
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#19]
If it Broke right where the cam pin goes it problably was do to the fact there was and edge
around the cam hole.

The thing with metal is that there needs to be
a radius instead of an edge which problably cause your failure. like on a shaft for example,
you lathe out a shaft, then on the end lathe out
a shoulder without a radius, then lathe out another shaft with a small radius the stresses on the shaft would cause the one shaft without a radius to break at the shoulder. Every time I lathe out a something I put a very small radius on it to keep it from fracturing and round out the edge.

Link Posted: 5/8/2002 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well I took a look at the ammo forum and it does say that mil-spec is loaded hotter. Problem is, I've seen specs showing that commercial is loaded hoter as well - I want to say 51,000 C.U.P. for commercial (.308 win) vs 47,000 C.U.P. for mil-spec (7.62x51.)
View Quote

Problem is, you're looking at the stats for the basic 7.62mm military ball ammo and assuming that it applies to all military small arms ammo.  There are several different loadings of 7.62mm ammo listed for the military and some of them match the civilian loadings.  M193 and M855 5.56mm ammo is loaded hotter than most civilian .223.  The M882 9mm FMJ is loaded to the specs used in Europe which would be roughly a 9mm +P+ going by the SAAMI specs.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 4:04:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Nakid you make an excellent point about the cam hole not being radiused. I too used to work in machining and understand this philosophy.
Anyways, the dealer I bought the gun from is going to replace the bolt so everything is cool.
Thanks for the replies. [:D]

Edited to add my apologies to MARVL. I don't want to violate the forum conduct code on profanity!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top