Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2011 5:45:50 PM EDT
Hey there,
I'm about to file a complaint with the BBB.  I just wanted to know though; does the business get notified of who files the complaint against them?
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 5:58:10 PM EDT
[#1]
No, it is anonymous, I don't even think there is a place to put your info. So what company pissed you off?
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used it many times to get a resolution of a matter. I'll call the company, if they tell me to piss off, then I contact the BBB. Then they bend over backwards to correct the situation.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 6:11:43 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are going to file a complaint, man up to it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Serious question is serious- What does the BBB even do?

Are they like the UN and ask the company nicely to resolve the complaint, with threats of another call asking nicely if they dont?
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 6:17:58 PM EDT
[#6]
If your so spineless you want to do it anonymously maybe you shoudl rethink what your doing. I mean being a coward isn't going to get you anywhere in life. Just man up call them and try to fix it. If they don't then call the BBB and be done with it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 6:19:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope... it shows your name, phone number and address. Basically anything you provide the BBB, the company will see.

I handle any and all BBB complaints against the company I work for. Usually it's just a misunderstanding and 99% of the time the customer walks away happy. Can't go into where I work or what I do though.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 6:38:46 PM EDT
[#8]
There are businesses with *awesome* BBB ratings... And they outright *advertise* their BBB ratings to no end.

They "donate" money to the BBB.

When I bought my first house, I dealt with a realtor who was nothing short of a thug. I was from  out of town and didn't know any better.  He paid the BBB "fees" and got excellent ratings every year.

He had a pretty-big-size BBB sticker on the door to his business.

I finally had enough of his crap, he lied, and played games, and I went with another realtor.

From now on, when a company advertises its BBB rating, my guard goes up... There is a *reason* they advertise their BBB rating... and it probably isn't a *good* reason... And when a BBB executive has his salary dependent on "income" that comes from businesses looking for good ratings, they are not going to risk giving bad ratings... Yeah, after my experience trying to buy my first home from a thug with an excellent BBB rating, my guard goes up when I see a business trying to "advertise" their BBB rating...

The best rating system that works for me: word of mouth from friends and family. People I trust. If a business treats me right, I will tell my friends. If they do me wrong, I try to avoid them in the future, and will tell my friends what they did to me...
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#9]
The BBB is a fucking joke.
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 7:10:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/7/2011 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 3:53:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

As a business owner if you tell me you are going to file a complaint with the BBB, Go ahead. Want their address?

If you tell me you are going to take me to small claims court, and I feel I am right... I am willing to chance it.

If you tell me you are going to BEAR (Bureau of Electronics & Appliance Repair, Dept of Consumer Affairs) HOLY FUCK! WAIT! What do you want to do to resolve this issue?

Well, hell then, does BEAR handle HVAC issues?

Link Posted: 2/8/2011 3:55:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If your so spineless you want to do it anonymously maybe you shoudl rethink what your doing. I mean being a coward isn't going to get you anywhere in life. Just man up call them and try to fix it. If they don't then call the BBB and be done with it.

when they "fixed" it the first time they intentionally broke it.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=1135281&page=3
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 4:06:10 AM EDT
[#14]
BBB complaints have a name attached to them.  You have to give your information so the business can respond to the complaint.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 4:10:25 AM EDT
[#15]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would like to know this too.  I had a heating service call last week for my upstairs unit.  
I called a company and the tech came out, turned it on, opened it up and said my control valve was bad.  No voltmeter, not drawing, nada.
They don’t make this control valve anymore and I can get a new valve with the “retrofit” for $900 or a new furnace for $1300.
I said I needed to think about it.  I got on the net and trouble shot the problem down to the igniter, $60 with shipping.
My igniter should be here on Wed, if it works I saved at least $840….  I just want to prevent other people from getting ripped off.
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 4:47:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Oh they're great... as long as you join.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2011 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 7:07:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/8/2011 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

As a business owner if you tell me you are going to file a complaint with the BBB, Go ahead. Want their address?

If you tell me you are going to take me to small claims court, and I feel I am right... I am willing to chance it.

If you tell me you are going to BEAR (Bureau of Electronics & Appliance Repair, Dept of Consumer Affairs) HOLY FUCK! WAIT! What do you want to do to resolve this issue?

HVAC would be the state contractors board. Where are you and what is going on?

Click my link...on the last page are the most recent assessment of what the contractor "did"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top