Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2002 11:34:56 AM EDT
Ok, this may be a stupid question but what is a "TROLL".  I see it and have been called it once but have no idea what it means.  Please enlighten me.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#1]
A little ugly creature that lurkes below the bridge.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#2]
...or, in the context of the question, someone trolling, i.e., "fishing", for responses to an inflammatory statement or topic just to stir $hit up.  Usually done for one's personal enjoyment.

the_reject
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#4]
a troll is a person who posts controversial topics to stir up arguments. there are visiting trolls, who pass thru lighting fires, and there are resident trolls who are long-time members and continually post about topics known to cause arguments. these may even be popular and respected members who post the majority opinion.  

the name comes from fishing, and refers to the practice of casually cruising along, casting out little hooks clothed in interesting tidbits, solely to see who will rise to take the bait.

what motivates them is poorly understood, but some think it is an immature love of seeing their names in print
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I see.  Unwanted difference of opinion =[:K]

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 11:45:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks
View Quote

Ah, maybe that's why people call you a troll...
View Quote

since we are not all the same person, and have different opinions on one issue or another, eventually we will all earn the title. when your turn comes, wear it proudly.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Let me re-word that.  when the truth cannot be handled, then Troll statement can be used as a easy out on an issue.  Got it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 12:11:43 PM EDT
[#9]
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside"
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#10]
lurker:
..., and there are resident trolls who are long-time members and continually post about topics known to cause arguments.
View Quote

Uh-oOOoh.
Hope we don't have any resident trolls here.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hope we don't have any resident trolls here.[:D]
View Quote

If you see any can you point them out....

Me and Eric haven't seen one before.

What?

Why are you looking at us like that?
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 12:28:13 PM EDT
[#12]
see also: religious posts about existence or nonexistence of dieties, xmas, easter etc.

see also: Garandman's replies to religious posts from trolls who do it just to watch the fireworks (g-man cannot resist them)

[peep]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 12:42:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#14]

I'd say it's more like, when your [i]opinion[/i] cannot be handled, then calling you a troll can be used as an easy out.  Truth is subjective around here.  
View Quote

Very well said.[beer]
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unwanted difference of opinion =[:K]
View Quote

Let me re-word that.  when the truth cannot be handled, then Troll statement can be used as a easy out on an issue.
View Quote

That is precisely how some members use the word. Different members attach different meanings to the word, to suit themselves.

In fact, the Forum Conduct rules do not prohibit controversial posts. (If controversy were against the rules, this would be a real dry place.)

GoatBoy defines trolling in the Forum Conduct Code:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/announcement.html?id=25[/url]

P.S.  People who attempt to silence opposing viewpoints by improperly using the word "troll" are generally not very skilled shooters.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#16]
My definition of troll is someone who would adopt as a screenname the name of a worthless, POS ex-president. [;)]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:21:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My definition of troll is someone who would adopt as a screenname the name of a worthless, POS ex-president. [;)]
View Quote

See how you are.  Now my feelings are hurt.[stick]
Link Posted: 5/3/2002 5:27:48 AM EDT
[#18]

I'd say it's more like, when your opinion cannot be handled, then calling you a troll can be used as an easy out. Truth is subjective around here.
View Quote

Very well said. That happened to me once.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top