Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/30/2002 9:13:45 AM EDT
I need to replace a hard drive in an older Gateway computer and would like to know if Gateway has their own special architecture that makes it more difficult? I tried once to replace the modem in it and me and the replacement modem company's support could not get it to work after many hours of trying. I finally took it to Gateway and they put in the exact same modem I tried and naturally it now works fine. The jumper thing and being a software driven modem seemed to be to much for support. Thanks Am-O-Tramp
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 10:16:35 AM EDT
It should not be a problem. How old is this gateway? You may have to be careful partitioning the HD when you install it to get the full capability of the drive. The first time I swapped an HD I did not and later had to format it and re-partition, and obviously reinstall everything in the process. Before you actually do the swap make sure you have all your software. You'll need all your drivers for modem, soundcard, CD-Rom et. al. As well as your OS, win 98 or whatever you want to run and MS office. But as far as it being a Gateway and doing the switch should not be a problem.
Top Top