Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2002 5:41:03 AM EDT
Ok, I'm going to rant a little bit here.

I go to my local range I won't say the name, but it is just North and East of Dallas In GARLAND and it is a PUBLIC RANGE. Anyway I intended to do some break-in on my new 24" bull barrel upper I just finished assembling.
I get there and ask for a lane and the guy behind the counter tells me he has to check my ammo (first time that has ever happened). They do not allow FMJ, and I know this, so I stopped and bought a box of 55gr Rem. SOFTPOINT on the way. I show him that box of ammo and he asks if that is all I have. Now, I have my shooting bag with me and it has a couple of mags. filled with FMJ. I didn't lie to the guy and said no, I have FMJ in my bag, but the only ammo I am shooting is the softpoint. I didn't even think about leaving my other mags at home, they are always in my shooting bag. He looks at me and says, "Get out, you are banned for life, do not ever come back here.", as he is cutting up my range card. I thought I heard wrong, and asked him what was up. He told me that he was sick of people bringing stuff in that they know they can't bring to this range. I was dumbfounded.
I looked at him for a minute, thought about trying to talk to him about this and realized that this a-hole was just mad at everything and wanted to flex what little power he actually had in the world. I packed up my stuff and left. Now I will tell everyone I know about the incident and let them know what kind of people run that place.
I could see them kicking me out if I had actually been shooting FMJ, but I didn't know that I would be banned for having it in my bag.
Nothing like getting convicted before you commit a crime.
I could also see if I had caused trouble there or if I had been warned about something in the past, but this was the only time I have ever had anyone say anything to me there.
Needless to say, myself and the 5 or so people who I shoot with on a regular basis will not be giving that range any more of our money.

Rant mode off.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:47:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:48:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you caught the counter guy having a crappy day, still no excuse for his attitude whatsoever.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:50:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the support, I am still dumbfounded that it all took place. Now I have to find another place to shoot...amazing what effect one a-hole can have....
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 5:52:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:05:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Already in the process of finding out who owns the place. I will most certainly send him a letter and let him know what kind of people he has working for him.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:06:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sounds like you caught the counter guy having a crappy day, still no excuse for his attitude whatsoever.
View Quote

Unfortunately, the counter guy at the PUBLIC RANGE I know of in GARLAND is a crotchety bastard to everyone, when he's not running off at the mouth about how he was a Special SEAL Forces Ranger Force Airborne Sniper.

Joho, the next time you want to do some shooting, send me an email or IM and we can hit Backwoods on 380 or Collin County.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:17:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Jarhead,
So you know who I am referring to huh...great personality on that guy...
I will take you up on that offer, I'm always looking for people to shoot with.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:23:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Joho, I too just built up an 24" bull barell and need to go break it in, give me a shout (you too Jarhead)  I would like to do some shooting with you guys.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:30:05 AM EDT
[#9]
JFP,

I'm on-board with that. I actually have another buddy who's got a 24" bull barrel he needs to break in as well (prairie dog hunting trip is comming up...wooo hooo)
I'll drop you and jarhead an email today.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 6:52:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Joho, you really should contact the manager or owner of that range.  Don't let that knucklehead run you off.

BTW, I've noticed over the past 5 years or so that there's absolutely nothing nice about Garland.  This adds to the list.
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/29/2002 7:24:08 AM EDT
[#12]
ilikelegs,

Yep, I have been to the Collin Co. Range, twice. Nice bunch of guys, and an ok range...oh, and they allow FMJ.
The only reason I had gone to Garland was that I think the Collin Co. range is forced to be closed on Sunday and Garland is only 15 min. from my house. (not sure, about closing on Sundays but I know they have to close early) I didn't want to drive all the way up there and have to turn around. I guess I should have called and checked. At least now I know what kind of operation Garland is.
Does anybody know the owners name, so I can send him a letter and tell him what kind of people he has working for him?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top