Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2002 8:13:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:25:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:33:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:43:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:44:45 PM EDT
Back then, if you were just a ethical person you followed all the laws. Jefferson once said "Ignorance is no excuse for the law." I don't honestly know if he would say the same thing today. Back then, the average Joe that just was a good man could get by without any run-ins with the law. Today a decent man can't even live like that. With so many laws, morals just don't work the way they used to.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:46:32 PM EDT
Based soley on what I've learned from books and Western historians, I think the best thing about that period of time would be the code of honor most pioneers had. If a man gave you his word, you knew you could count on it. Helping neighbors was a common occurence. Women and children were held in a high regard. Harming either just wasn't tolerated.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:49:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:54:09 PM EDT
The Best Part of the Pioneer Days. Well, I guess my Primary interest in those days would have been being a Mountain Man. I would have lived like that. Any laws that I would enforce. Well in my particular instance , as mentioned above, I would have to live by the laws of mother nature. And I am not talking about the GREENS PERVERTED LAWS. Taking my knife and probbing across a frozen river , or Digging holes to make shelter. Or keeping my Powder Dry. How to shoot a Grizzly bear. Or how to find shelter in a snow storm. You know the laws of the Planet Earth and A Human beings problems with survival, you know the Laws you Can't Repeal. Ben
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:55:49 PM EDT
I feel sorry for anyone who had to eat hardtack. Its like eating dehydrated bricks!! -T.
Top Top