Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2002 5:57:54 PM EDT
My wife agreed to let me get a gas grill for my birthday and I have been looking all over but can't decide.  I want something that will last a life time but would like it to stay under $500.

What do you guys suggest?

TIA

John
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:15:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#2]
[url]www.weber.com/Public_Weber/index.asp?section=grills[/url]

Weber, these grills consistently outperform
more expensive models.

I have a Genesis Silver C

These can often be found at Sears/Lowes/Home Depot   for $400-450

A nice feature is many of the parts can be replaced/upgraded later with stainless stuff.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Hands down, get the Weber.  I've had a version similar to the current Silver B model for about 7 years now.  By far the best performing grill I've owned (I cook out at least twice a week).

Get a WEBER!!!
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:54:14 PM EDT
[#4]
My wife and I bought a Weber Silver A last June and would highly recommend it.  We grill at least 3 times a week unless its really cold.  We got the cast iron grates which are more work, but I like them.  

We give Weber two thumbs up! [^][^]

Added:  I think we paid $450
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Get a Sunbeam so they can come out of bankruptcy and my stock could go up and actually be worth SOMETHING.

But seriously...  Weber seems to be a pretty good grill. You can see their warranty info here: [url]http://www.weber.com/Public_Weber/services/BBQWarrantyTableServices.asp?Where=warranty[/url]

oops...  that's just the one model. Try here and you can check out the warranty for different models (probably very similar):[url=http://www.weber.com/Public_Weber/index.asp?section=services&mainpage=BBQProductFirstPageNew&Pnm=where&Pval=warranty]Weber Warranty Page[/url]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 10:03:33 PM EDT
[#6]
> something that will last a life time

That's the catch.  I've gone through a Weber and two Char-Broil's in the last 12 years.  They rusted so badly they were unusable even though they were stored on a screened porch.  The heat from the burner will make even stainless steel corrode.  Any suggestions on something cheap?  We use the same large propane tank for my emergency heat, so I can justify to my wife saving-up to buy a replacement.z
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 11:52:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Be a man, spend $80 and get a weber kettle, charcoal.  If it ain't charcoal, it ain't grilling.

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 1:25:32 AM EDT
[#9]
WEBER

Anything else is a waste of money
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a weber Silver A a couple years ago, great grill.  I'd like the heavier grates, but the standard models are better than the one's you'll find on any Sunbeam, Charbroil, etc. The three burner model is more versatile and larger. After three seasons of use, the Weber still looks almost new.

I recently stumbled across a "super grill" from Vermont Castings (who make some of the best wood stoves in the world).  For about 1300.00 you get a gas grill that serves as a grill, broiler, rotisserie, and oven, plus it has a solid commercial grade gas burner on the side.  Weighs a TON.  The grates are cast iron slabs designed to hold the heat.

No way I could justify spending that much on a grill, but if money was no object, that's what I'd buy.

Weber makes a great gas grill for the money.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#12]
GAS??? Who the hell uses gas??? Use Pecan, Apple, Hickory, Mesquite, Cherry.

Go to your local Neighborhood scrap metal place.  Get a 36" pipe abut 3 feet long.  Get you some Wire Mesh 1/16".  And two peices of Angle iron about 12" long.  Get a peice of Six inch pipe about 36" tall / you might want two.
Get one peice of square tube 2" about 48" tall. and two larger peices of square tube about 4"
Get two heavy dutie castor wheels.  get a peice of 1/16" plate about 2 foot square.
Get two heavy duty hinges.

With a cutting torch cut a hole from the 12o'clock pos to the 3O'clock position about 2 feet wide.  This will be your door. Weld the Hinges on the Top of the pipe are the 12 and take your the metal fromt he hole you just cut and weld a handle on it.
Weld Steel plates on both ends of the 36" pipe.
Weld the 18" angle iron in the bottom of the pipe about 18 " apart. Cut your wire mesh to fit inside the pipe on the angle iron.

You get the idea.

Your Food Taste Will improve 100% and you don't have to eat Hamburgers that tast like they past through an Exxon refinery.

Ben
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks guys.  The reason I want the gas grill is because I don't want to take all night just to grill two steaks for the wife and I.  I have a larger wood/charcoal grill that was built into the back yard.  I use that when I want do do alot.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:50:43 PM EDT
[#14]
A Gas grill ? You gotta be kidding ? Don't get a gas grill.
Listen to the poster about the side-box type.

You can cook them in a skillet and the oven if your just cooking for two.

Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Let us know when you get so we can start driving.

[<]:)][<]:)][<]:)][<]:)][<]:)]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 1:55:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Weber is the only grill to go with.You can generaly get a good buy on them at Home Depot and they always carry the parts and accesories.I have the rotissery for mine and it is a great addition.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top