Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2002 5:04:25 PM EDT
last fall my neighbors male pitbull came over the 4 foot fence and came after my 16 yearold son. He made in the house before the dog could bite him, so I went next door and told the owner to get the dog out of my back yard. Which they did, never said they were sorry or anything. I let it go, today my wife walked thru the gate to the back yard and didn't know that the neighbors newest pitbull had jumped the fence and when she got to the back door she seen the dog out of the corner of her eye, but the door was locked, I was home from work today and herd the frantic beating on the door and got there in time to save her and get her inside. So this time I had no choice but to call the police, also I thought enough to video the dog in my backyard, when the dog saw me in the door it came after the camera man, I stepped into the house before it got to me but have it all on tape. The owner comes home and see's his dog in my yard and pulls it over the fence before the police arrive. The officer asks where the dog is and I tell him it is back in its yard, but that this time I have it on film. the officer watches the video and proceeds to cite him for not having his dog on a leed. This is bullcrap, what do you think?
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:06:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#2]
As a dog lover...I say shoot it.  The dog is not the problem, it is the owner.  Unfortunately it is a crime to shoot the owner.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't see why anybody would want the liability of owning a pitbull or Rottwieller. They are both originally breed as fighting dogs. Theres been reports of one attack after another of kids mostly by these two breeds. I wouldn't want to own one. If they bite or mangle the nieghbors kid you could lose your house and everything else. Its not worth it in my opinion.
CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Many years ago I knew this a-hole who owned a very large, and very defensive Pitbull. I was walking near his house one night coming home from a party, and from out of nowhere, here comes this dog. I made it, barely, away from this dog, and it scared the crap out of me! The next time I saw the guy that owned the dog, I told him what had happened, and he basically told me tough shit. He said it was a mean dog, and I would be better off to stay away from it. "Fine" I said and left it at that. Two weeks later, I went over there in the middle of the night, stood near the fence until the dog noticed I was there, and when that bastard got within 10 feet of me, I put 230 grns. of Federals finest right between her eyes. Next time I saw the A-hole owner, I told him, "shame what happened to your dog, shoulda kept a better watch over it, huh?" I still feel good about doing that!

Oh yeah, I lived in a small town, with one cop, so it was easy to get away from the "scene" when I was done. I don't reccomend trying this in a large city, or heavily populated neighborhood.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:17:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Many years ago I knew this a-hole who owned a very large, and very defensive Pitbull. I was walking near his house one night coming home from a party, and from out of nowhere, here comes this dog. I made it, barely, away from this dog, and it scared the crap out of me! The next time I saw the guy that owned the dog, I told him what had happened, and he basically told me tough shit. He said it was a mean dog, and I would be better off to stay away from it. "Fine" I said and left it at that. Two weeks later, I went over there in the middle of the night, stood near the fence until the dog noticed I was there, and when that bastard got within 10 feet of me, I put 230 grns. of Federals finest right between her eyes. Next time I saw the A-hole owner, I told him, "shame what happened to your dog, shoulda kept a better watch over it, huh?" I still feel good about doing that!
View Quote

RIGHT ON![^]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Any dog that attacked my wife or my kid would be worm food.

As FirearmTom1 said, it's not the dogs themselves, but what the owner encourages.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, that is another way of handling it.  I still think that the owner would have been a better choice.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#8]
There's an old saying "No such thing as a bad dog, only a bad owner".

I'm pretty sure there's nobody on earth that loves dogs more than I do.  I've raised cattle dogs for more years than I care to admit.  Having said that, I have shot/killed a few strays, including a pb, that got onto the property and threatened horses or my dogs.  If you can legally discharge a gun in your neighborhood, I wouldn't hesitate for a minute.  If you can't, a cattle prod in the mouth might intimidate him for a day or two.

Best of luck!

-hanko
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:31:26 PM EDT
[#9]
If legal, shoot the it.

If not, tazer its ass.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:33:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Confusius say: "Man holding AR, got solution in hand!"
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#12]
having worked in a vet clinic and handled these kinds of dogs first hand...this is the number one reason why i would like CCW passed in my state.  i have had a couple close calls.  if it were on my property i.e. jumped over a fence, it would be shot.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:37:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I can't see why anybody would want the liability of owning a pitbull or Rottwieller. They are both originally breed as fighting dogs. Theres been reports of one attack after another of kids mostly by these two breeds. I wouldn't want to own one. If they bite or mangle the nieghbors kid you could lose your house and everything else. Its not worth it in my opinion.
CAPITALIST
View Quote

Let me first say that I am a pitbull owner, and that many with a pit bull bias really don't know much about the breed.

As far as your statement about numerous reports of pit bull attacks, a guy did a study many years back about these reports and found that the MAJORITY of the time these reports were unfounded. Generally these reported pit bull were just mutts of unreckognizable breed, and that the term pit bull is used to sensationalize the story.

Also, there is a vet in town who worked in a large city where only him and one other vet in the area would even see pits. So he's seen alot of them.

According to him, he's never had a pit bull turn on him.

He says he can't say the same thing about poodles, and that poodles and a few other breeds are by far more vicous than pits.

See by breeding these dogs to fight, the breeders also attempted to breed out any dogs who were people aggressive. If you knew anything about dog fighting you'd understand why that would be.

Generally pit bulls are very people friendly, but very animal aggressive. You probably haven't been around alot of pit bulls, and base your opinion on one bad dog you've met, or what you hear. I have been around alot, and can tell you from personal experience they're good dogs.

The problem lies in backyard breeders who don't really appreciate the breed, and breed the wrong dogs for the wrong reasons.

With all that being said, if I had a dog come after my wife and kids on more than one occasion, and I truly felt they were in danger I'd shoot them no matter their breed. Especially if the cops would do no more than ticket the owners.

Was that long winded enough?
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:39:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Ethylene Glycol (Anti-freeze)  would work wonders. Dogs love that stuff (and so do KIDS so watch out) because its taste very sweet.

Its not the EG that gets you, its the metabolited formed from it in your sysytem that does you in.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) when the metabolites form and collect in the kidneys it will cause renal failure generally within hours. = DEATH!

Just in case you guys ever encounter the situation, the old antidote for it which is readily available to all of you (at least those over 21) is ethanol....plain old good fashioned drinking alcohol (competitive inhibitor of EG in the blood)  Patients used to be given ethanol IV and left on it for days. Imagine that hangover!

They have a faster working antitode used in the ER these days so don't go trying to treat EG poisoning at home at home.  Imagine that...saving yourself from the EG and dying from alcohol poisoning!

BTW, a gatorade bottle filled with E.G. thrown over a fence or beside a fence should do the job.

P.S. I'm really a dog lover :)
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#15]
SEA well said, I am glad that you still came to the same conclusion.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#16]
It is sad, really sad.
I wish that all of you didn't have these bad experiences with "pitbulls". By proxy, the American Pit Bull Terrier is viewed by many in the same light as guns and gun owners are. For one reason or another, you only hear about how [b]BAD[/b] they are.

As hanko said earlier: There's an old saying "No such thing as a bad dog, only a bad owner".

The same can be said for firearms.

I am, in fact, in the process of writing an article about the American Pit Bull Terrier. I hope that you guys (and gals) will like it.

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/TylerDurden%2FDebogator%21001b%26w%2Ejpg[/img]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/TylerDurden%2FDebokiss%2EJPG[/img]

Tyler
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:51:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
He says he can't say the same thing about poodles, and that poodles and a few other breeds are by far more vicous than pits.
View Quote

Uh, yeah. But when poodles go bad, they are subject to being stomped to death before serious damage is done. Not so with pit bulls, huh?

See by breeding these dogs to fight, the breeders also attempted to breed out any dogs who were people aggressive. If you knew anything about dog fighting you'd understand why that would be.
View Quote

I don't know anything about dog fighting and don't have any desire to. Please explain to the group how animal aggressive and people aggressive are mutually exclusive.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Just to add: I've never had a "bad pit bull experience," and my wife had a female pit for 14 years that never bit a soul and was, by all accounts, a wonderful pet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:55:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Regardless of breed I would place a .12 riot gun by the door for the next time the dog comes on your property.

If one of my bird dogs got loose in my area and threatened another human I would fully expect them to be shot. But since they're just pointers they might just stand there and point instead of attacking.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#20]
That mutt would come in my yard and attack a member of my family only once.  Better to shoot the dog than have it do great damage to a person, especially a child.  Think about it for just a second:  The mutt has left its yard and has intruded into yours.  It is acting in an aggressive manner to your child.  What more provocation do you require?  'Nuf for me.  Self defense would be an easy case to make here.
No dog gets my kin without sacrificing its life...never.
I think that most Americans would be appalled at the incredibly huge numbers of dog bites requiring emergency treatment at the hospital each year in our country.  The number is staggering, and most victims are kids.
I'm a long time dog lover and owner...but bite a kid...adios!
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Seamusmcoi, and TylerDurden are 100% correct. Unfortunately it is against the law in some states to shoot the owners who should never be allowed to own a dog. While I've never owned a Pit or a Rotty, I have had enough contact with them to know that a bad or abusive owner will make most any dog aggro. The dog owner in this case needs to be found in a shallow grave IMHO.

In any case the owner is responsable (or in this case an irresponsable A-hole) for his dogs actions.

Try the anti-freeze bit on your neighbor[:D]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:59:52 PM EDT
[#22]
 Next time that dog gets in your yard, shoot him. I have shot them with 40's, 9's, and buckshot and I recommend buckshot.
 This is your family we are talking about and injuries never heal right. If two of those dogs get on one of your family members, it will be black suit time.
 I would give my neighbor fair warning, but you have a real problem and the bottom line is either the dogs or someone you love is going to be injured or killed.
 Don't worry about some BS "shooting in the city" crap. Don't call the police and if someone else does, don't answer the door. Just roll that sucker up in a tarp and get rid of him after dark.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:03:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't see why anybody would want the liability of owning a pitbull or Rottwieller. They are both originally breed as fighting dogs.
View Quote

Sir, I respectfully disagree with your statement. Rotties were bred as working dogs, to help push livestock along and for protection of the owner, not as a fighting dog as you have put it.

I don't know the history of Pitbulls.

But there is no sense in getting into the viscous dog debate here, that is not what this thread is about.
View Quote

I can't count on one hand the amount of time I've been minding my own business walking down the sidewalk in different parts of town or
been at some festival somewhere and had a Rottwieller lung at me or my family unprovoked. Many times the owner laughed and thought it was funny. Its not an isolated incident. The last time it happened I was vinyl siding a house I bought to fix up. Everytime the nieghbor let out his 100 pound Rottwieller it came up over the fence trying to get at me. It didn't do it again after I broke a 2x4 over its head. You can never convince me they are mild gentle dogs. We just had an incident in my home town where a Rottwieller attacked a little girl and tore up her head. She needed cosmetic surgery. Right after that on the news there was a report of a pair of Rottwiellers killing a women that was walking door to door trying to get the nieghbors to sign a school petition. You might have a good one, but I've never had a good experience with one.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#25]
In my experience pitbulls with a good owner are a very friendly breed.  The problem with them is morons owners them and train them to be viscious.  You should never have to feel menaced by someones pet when you aren't on their property.  I love animals, hell I'm even a vegetarian, but you should put it down one way or another.  I'd shoot it next time it came in your yard and tell the neighbor the same will happen to their next dog if it comes in your yard.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let me first say that I am a pitbull owner, and that many with a pit bull bias really don't know much about the breed.

As far as your statement about numerous reports of pit bull attacks, a guy did a study many years back about these reports and found that the MAJORITY of the time these reports were unfounded. Generally these reported pit bull were just mutts of unreckognizable breed, and that the term pit bull is used to sensationalize the story.

Also, there is a vet in town who worked in a large city where only him and one other vet in the area would even see pits. So he's seen alot of them.

According to him, he's never had a pit bull turn on him.

Generally pit bulls are very people friendly, but very animal aggressive. You probably haven't been around alot of pit bulls, and base your opinion on one bad dog you've met, or what you hear. I have been around alot, and can tell you from personal experience they're good dogs.

The problem lies in backyard breeders who don't really appreciate the breed, and breed the wrong dogs for the wrong reasons.

With all that being said, if I had a dog come after my wife and kids on more than one occasion, and I truly felt they were in danger I'd shoot them no matter their breed. Especially if the cops would do no more than ticket the owners.

Was that long winded enough?
View Quote

To tell you how many problems we've had with Pitbulls in our area. There is an ordinance that makes owning a Pitbull illegal in our city. They are the only dog on the list. I'm not bullshitting you. Owning one in the city limits is punishable by a large fine, jail time or both. I think that says something if theres a law against ownership.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#27]
    Just went through the same problem with the dog next door. Got home after dark and the dog got between me and the house. I had my .45 but was hesitant about discharging it in the subdivision. Owner raised the garage door and called it in the house. Police said animal control would ticket them if I had vidios but if a dog was posing a theat to people or property I would be within my rights to shoot it. Might be in court on civil charges for killing the dog.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Uh, yeah. But when poodles go bad, they are subject to being stomped to death before serious damage is done. Not so with pit bulls, huh?

View Quote

I don't know anything about dog fighting and don't have any desire to. Please explain to the group how animal aggressive and people aggressive are mutually exclusive.
View Quote

About the poodles, you are correct about the small variety. But those large poodles can be, and are, very dangerous.

But overall I agree with you about what I think you're trying to say. A vicious pit bull is a very scary animal that can produce alot of damage. But there are many other large breeds that are just as scary when vicious. St. Bernards, Labs, Great Danes. I've known scary dogs of many breeds, but for some reason only pit bulls make headlines. Again, it's sensational.

As far as why dogs bread for fighting aren't generally people aggressive, you have to know about how dog fights are handled.

There are three people in a ring. Two handlers and a ref. Would YOU want to be in the middle of a dog fight and have to break it up? Well that's what happens in dog fights.

So the old breeders tried to breed out any people aggressive behaviour just like other traits are bred into other dogs. No body in a dogfight wants to be bit, so people aggressive dogs aren't tolerated. There are rules and regulations and most fights don't end in death.

Just so you know, I don't fight my dogs. But I know alot about the breed.

Any other questions?
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Apart from some dogs, who go just as wacko as some of us do (often because of diet as much as training), it's really hard to blame the dog – it's normally the sicko owner who's at fault.

Unfortunately, as long as these sicko owners are with us, we have little option but to take extreme measures to ensure that once threatened, our kids, wife and ourselves are not maimed or killed by some "insane" (thanks to owners with I.Q's less than their number of tattoos) animal with enormous potential for damage.

It is indeed very sad, because man has never had a greater, more faithful and more selfless an ally (horses are okay, but dumb).

Like so many things, it's the sicko, scum-sucking, bottom-feeder, lowest- stratum-of-the-gene-pool HUMAN who can always be trusted to f*ck it up something great.

You know, if we're the "top dog" as it were – we've a helluva lot to answer for!
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#30]
No other questions. As I said earlier in this thread, I've got no gripe against pit bulls at all. I just don't buy it for a second when folks try to tell me that they're no more dangerous than any other kind of dog.

Would you rather be savaged by a pekingese or a pit? Exactly.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Owning one in the city limits is punishable by a large fine, jail time or both. I think that says something if theres a law against ownership.
View Quote

Sounds familiar.

Hmmm... Just like all of those GUN laws, eh?

I will stay on topic here - and I agree that violent/aggressive dogs should be put down ASAP.

Tyler
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I will stay on topic here - and I agree that violent/aggressive dogs should be put down ASAP.

Tyler
View Quote

Well said, sir. I think we can all agree with that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:33:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I keep 4 adult so-called "man-eating" Rottweilers.
I know they are big babies at heart, and even when they broke through the fence, inflicted no injuries.
Nonetheless, I have raised and replaced my fences, and made sure NONE of my neighbors have a "close encounter" with any of my doggies.
I know people may be afraid of the breed, and for the love of my dogs, I make SURE no one encounters them unexpectedly.
The fault is, of course, with the owners, but the poor dogs always pay the price.
Defend your family, shoot the dog if it threatens you on your property, but remember, it is the owner that is at fault, not the dog.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:41:51 PM EDT
[#35]
It is aginst the law for me to discharge a firearm within city limits. I got a crossbow. Strays bon't go far after a nice broadhead to center mass. In this case I would shoot it while it was in the neighbors back yard. Wait about 60 days so that it doesn't die right after you filed a complaint.

Nobody and nothing messes with my family.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Capitalist,

Would you apply the same logic to guns? If guns are against the law in the city limits there must be something to it.......

It is the owner, not the breed. Some breeds given the right circumstances, easily become people aggressive. But all breeds have the potential, heck it used to be that Dobermans were the feared breed.

We need to get beyond the stereotype's, and the liberal hype. If you are not comfortable owning a Pit or Rotty, fine, I respect you for that, but I am, and I train my pets and don't let them run loose. I will not allow aggression, unless it is against a perceived threat to my family. And then the dog places themself between my family and the aggressor, only attacking if the aggressor proceeds closer.

I have known more friendly Pit's and Rotties than aggressive ones.

But that said, I will not approach one without the owners permission, nor any breed for that matter. And if a dog (any breed) becomes a threat to me or mine, it ceases to be a threat.

It comes back to being a responsible owner/parent/person, you are responsible with your guns, dogs, cats, children, money, car, etc. any of these can be misused/abused and create dire circumstances for others.

dave
View Quote

Dogs can be fine and then snap and attack . It might be a bad day for the dog and the nieghbors little kid could come over and try to play with the dog when it doesn't want to and it attacks it. A vicious dog has a mind of its own. A gun doesn't. A gun is an inanimate object with no brain. If left in a vault it will not jump out and kill or mame by itself. Your comparison doesn't make any since.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ethylene Glycol (Anti-freeze)  would work wonders. Dogs love that stuff (and so do KIDS so watch out) because its taste very sweet.

Its not the EG that gets you, its the metabolited formed from it in your sysytem that does you in.  Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) when the metabolites form and collect in the kidneys it will cause renal failure generally within hours. = DEATH!

Just in case you guys ever encounter the situation, the old antidote for it which is readily available to all of you (at least those over 21) is ethanol....plain old good fashioned drinking alcohol (competitive inhibitor of EG in the blood)  Patients used to be given ethanol IV and left on it for days. Imagine that hangover!

They have a faster working antitode used in the ER these days so don't go trying to treat EG poisoning at home at home.  Imagine that...saving yourself from the EG and dying from alcohol poisoning!

BTW, a gatorade bottle filled with E.G. thrown over a fence or beside a fence should do the job.

View Quote

Gee, you really must be a dog lover.  Throwing a gatorade bottle filled with antifreeze over the fence sounds like the perfect solution to me. [rolleyes]  Are you the kind of guy who also throws ground beef laced with mouse poison to the neighbors' dogs when they bark too much?

Roxyquail, if the dog that attacked your wife and son comes onto your property again, shoot it.  No questions, no apologies.  You have every right to feel safe on your own property.

It sounds like your neighbor shouldn't be allowed to own a Chihuahua, let alone a larger dog.

BTW, the breed of dog doesn't matter.  It's the ability of the owner to handle and train the dog that counts.  I own a female German Shepherd who won't jump our 3 foot tall chain-link fence to leave the property, but God help you if you enter the house or backyard without being invited.  If I invite you into my house, she will place herself between you and me at all times, until SHE feels comfortable with you.  It's the training and socialization of the dog and not the breed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Well I didn't mean to get anyone upset about their own dogs, My dad had a couple of pitbulls when I was living at home in my teens. These dogs were never a problem toi anyone but we keep them contained in our yard. I don't live in the city limits of cincinnati, but I do live in the same county. I live where it is against the law to discharge a firearm, large subdivision, If the man doesn't contain the pitbulls in the future the video tape will run all the time. and since my yongest is 16 now I will keep the backyard off limits to us for a week or two. after that the police will get the video tapes and so will the county prosacuter, and my lawer. I will take it to civil court and let the people of cincinnati decide who wins this.  thanks for the info.....
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:02:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dogs can be fine and then snap and attack . It might be a bad day for the dog and the nieghbors little kid could come over and try to play with the dog when it doesn't want to and it attacks it. A vicious dog has a mind of its own. A gun doesn't. A gun is an inanimate object with no brain. If left in a vault it will not jump out and kill or mame by itself. Your comparison doesn't make any since.
View Quote

Let me cut to the chase, it is about personal responsibility.

Nothing more, nothing less. You are stuck on the dogs. I don't let my dogs be around others when I am not around, I don't care if it is a pomerainian, black lab, beagle, blue tick, bloodhound, rottie, or weiner dog.

When people refuse to be responsible, other people get hurt or die.

I am finished with this thread, as I am starting to wear thin, and I don't want to start a flame war.

I recommend that you possibly look at this logically rather than emotionally, my frustration comes from having to explain logic to a fellow gun owner and shooter.

Please don't take this wrong, if you do then let me apologize at the BRC, I'll buy you a beer and we will discuss which is  better, Armalite or Bushmaster.

Dave
View Quote

I guess we agree to disagree. I wish I was going to the BRC, but alas I can't. Maybe if its closer to Ohio next year I'll go and we can have a beer.
CAPITALIST
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:10:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

The gold standard treatment of EG ingestion still includes ETOH.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No other questions. As I said earlier in this thread, I've got no gripe against pit bulls at all. I just don't buy it for a second when folks try to tell me that they're no more dangerous than any other kind of dog.

Would you rather be savaged by a pekingese or a pit? Exactly.
View Quote

Funny you should mention that.  I bought some furniture from a couple who had a psychotic Peke.  It sent the woman's sister to the emergency room, having torn out a huge chunk of her thigh for no reason at all.  Both women together -- reasonably healthy 30-ish American work-out-at-the-gym yuppies -- couldn't drag that vicious little dogshit off her.

They had to keep it penned up, nobody allowed around it.  I can't imagine why they kept it.

Having heard what the little dogshit could do, I would much rather be attacked by the pit bull, because if I got half-devoured by a Peke, I'd never be able to live it down.

It's 95% a problem of the owners, and only about 5% the dogs' fault.  Almost any dog can be trained to be a decent, loyal, upstanding defender of home and hearth.  It's the moronic owners who turn the critters into savage beasts.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:04:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:12:44 PM EDT
[#44]
You may want to consider putting up a higher fence.  Pit bulls can EASILY hop a 4 footer.  I've seen some get over a 6 footer.  If trained well, they make excellent frisbee dogs (if you can get them to let go).

I have to concur.  It's the breader, not the breed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#45]
"Ethylene Glycol (Anti-freeze) would work wonders. Dogs love that stuff (and so do KIDS so watch out) because its taste very sweet."

"BTW, a gatorade bottle filled with E.G. thrown over a fence or beside a fence should do the job."

DSR-1
You are either a complete a$$hole or a troll. Anyone who would advocate poisining an animal and letting it suffer like that deserves to be shot a hell of a lot more than the dog. I don't care what is has done, if you want to kill it, you do it cleanly, and humanely.

TylerDurden
Beautifal dog. Looks just like mine, except mines ears are bigger, and she just had a third of her tail amputated because of an accident with the front door.

Chris
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#46]
"Junior", a 2 1/2 year old red nose APBT hopped over the 7' privacy fence at my old house on several occasions (he was never aggressive toward humans at all). The last time he scaled that fence got him killed - he was hit by a car, and we had to euthanize him.

R.I.P. Junior
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#47]
"Pitbulls" are subject to the same type of BS hysteria that AR15 type rifles are.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:50:55 PM EDT
[#48]
Thanks Chris!

If you have any pics of your APBT, please let me know - I would like to use some pics of our members dogs in the APBT article I am writing for this website.

If you are interested, send me an e-mail.

Tyler
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#49]
When you count every bite German Shepards bite more people than any other breed.

If you eliminate the justified bites, police working dogs, guard dogs ect, and only count the unprovoked/unjustified bite, the cocker spaniel has the most bites.

Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Rottweilers and pits are great dogs.  Just like AR15s if they are not handled right they can go off and get someone hurt.  Let's ban stupid owners from having dogs.  Pitbulls were not bred to be human agressive!  Most pits I know would only pee on your shoes as they roll over on their backs for you!  

I love the post about how there is a law against pitbulls in town.  That was funny as hell.  It  sounded like a soccer mom!  

And yes, if a dog was a family member I would shoot the S.O.B. in defense of the human.

thedave is right.  I agree with him.  I train dogs 5 days a week.  I train Rottweilers, pitbulls, GSD, malinois, dobermans, boxers, ect.  I train dogs for Schutzhund, IPO, police work, house dogs, S&R dogs and show dogs.  If one trains a dog right it knows how to react in situations.  If you tie it to a tree and throw rocks at it, hell yes it will become agressive.  Who's fault is that!?  Do people know anything about drives in dogs?  I would seriously recommend people who think the dogs are evil and should be banned to read up.  Read up on training and behavior in animals.  Goto a local Schutzhund club and see the dogs work.  What kind of dogs are out there doing S&R?  What dogs do some people think were there after 9-11 searching for people/bodies?  What is different with these dogs?  Training and responsible breeding.  

LOL, if anything, people should talk about cats, they cause more emergency room visits than dogs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top