Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2002 3:52:24 AM EDT
4 Canadian Soldiers were killed overnight in Afganistan and 8 wounded ( 2 life threatening) when an American F16 dropped at least one 500lb bomb on their position.

It seems that the Canadians were practising night fire activities at a range 5km south of Kandahar when the accident took place.

I sure hope that this does not cause our government to pull out.

Ironically the Canadians just got back from a service in Honor of the 4 American dead from the weekend.

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:16:53 AM EDT
[#1]
As much as the politics of the Canadian gov't disgust me (only slightly more than those of my own gov't) and the sheeple mindset of too many of her people.....

...let me extend my condolances to our "brothers in arms" north of the border.

They died with honor.

Freedom isn't free.

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:32:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks G-man..

There is going to be an investigation as to what the hell went wrong.

Word up here is that he bomb was lazer guided.......so who was lighting up our troops?

Sounds like a commo mixup if you ask me.

One must also feel for the pilot in situations like this...he must be going through utter hell!
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 4:55:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I heard it on the way in, saddened by hearing that the pilot didn't investigate, accidents like this make me understand better that war just sucks period because inevitably good and innocent people die in the process.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:06:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:16:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks G-man..

There is going to be an investigation as to what the hell went wrong.

Word up here is that he bomb was lazer guided.......so who was lighting up our troops?

Sounds like a commo mixup if you ask me.

One must also feel for the pilot in situations like this...he must be going through utter hell!
View Quote

Absolutely on all accounts.

Ultimately I blame the bastards that took Vieques, PR away from us as a training gfround.

It is ENTIRELY conceivable that this pilot LOST training time due to those bed wetting jackasses that whined about the flora and fauna at Vieques.

And yes, I'll bet the pilot WISHES he were dead. A tragedy for all involved, especially for the relatives of the dead.

[red]edited to correct the spelling of VIEQUES [/red].....because one of our missions should be to correct each other,and because I am sure Garandman will not mind my having done so! [:)] Ed Sr
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 5:24:24 AM EDT
[#6]
CTVs Rod Black ( a leftie reporter if there ever was one ) is now claiming that the pilot was told NOT to attack?

The story goes on that he was told to wait till the "Brits" cleared the area.......

Surely things are not that F'd Up!!

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:00:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Ed....someone to watch over me.  [O:)]

I is stil mad abowt it. So madd I spelt it worng. Twyce.

[:D]

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:15:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 9:51:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My sincere condolences to our Canadian Brothers and their families for the loss of brave young men in Afghanistan.

"Friendly" fire is not friendly and a bitch to accept!
View Quote

What Ed said.  (Cause I can't say it any better.)
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn..!

Indications are now that the pilot did not listen to ground control orders NOT to fire!

The antis are going to play havoc with this one!!
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#11]
First and foremost, my condolences to the families and friends of these brave young men.

I sincerely hope this wasn't some hotdog young pilot mistake.  I think we need to wait until all the facts are in before pointing fingers.  

It's difficult to trust the media who so often report "hearsay" in these situations.

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Joseph Green has made available an online condolence book.  The address is:

[URL]http://hooler.com/vbpro/ppcli33/[/URL]

or you can go to www.ppcli.com and be directed to the site.

Dead are Sgt. Marc D. Léger, 29, Cpl. Ainsworth Dyer, 25, Pte. Richard A. Green, 22, and Pte. Nathan Smith, 27. The injured soldiers are Sgt. Lorne E. Ford, 33, MCpl. Stanley P. Clark, 35, MCpl. Curtis R. Hollister, 29, Cpl. Shane R. Brennan, 28, Cpl. Brian M. Decaire, 25, Cpl. Rene Paquette, 33, Cpl. Brett R. Perry, 26, and Pte. Norman D. Link, 24.

Link Posted: 4/18/2002 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry this happen to our brave brothers in arms.  Like EdAvila said "Friendly fire is not friendly".  I just hope the pilot wasn't trying to be a hotshot.  The left wingers will make hay out of the tragedy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top