Posted: 4/16/2002 8:52:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 9:09:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Good question....

Now I have one as well...

Gloftoe....any relation to Cameltoe??
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#2]
There are very few folks out there who will speak negatively of the quality of Harris' bipods. They are sturdy, versitile, and competitively priced. Most shooters will never wear one out.

Now, there are other options (like Parker Hale) which cost a lot more but are also very high quality pieces (they seem to be built like a truck)

It seems that you may be looking for something with a high "cool factor", while not sacrificing quality. (You're a person after my own heart.)

I like the looks of the M-5 bipod offered by DPMS, but I haven't actually seen one in person (maybe someone can ring in on its quality, durability, etc?) It has a unique look to it, but it's not as flexible as the Harris 'pods. (Non extendable legs, the legs seem to be made to look cool, but there isn't much function in their looks.) Maybe this is one for you...
[url]http://www.shooterstore.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=90&Product_ID=6438&CATID=494[/url]

Re. Harris' AR "adaptor": It consists of a steel plate that fits inside an A2 handguard (not sure if it would fit an M4's double heatshields). It's tapped (threaded) to accept a threaded sling swivel stud and bracket from the outside of the handguard. The standard bipod actually "clips" into the swivel stud's hole, just as it would for all other non-AR rifles. The bipod pieces that clip onto the adaptor holes have a set of holes in them to accept a standard 1" or 1.25" sling swivel.

Good luck...squibload
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 9:58:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I understand that the M14 GI-type will also work on toher rifles, but you have to clamp bi-pod to the barrel. I bougt mine from Fulton Armory a few years back.
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 11:28:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/16/2002 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 11:21:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Could you elaborate a bit on this?  I thought that M14 bipods mounted with one allen screw, that screwed into the receiver?  Please advise on it.  

View Quote

M14 bipods are made to clamp over the gas cylinder assembly. Adding doo-dads to the barrel of any gun will affect harmonics and degrade accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I understand that the M14 GI-type will also work on toher rifles, but you have to clamp bi-pod to the barrel. I bougt mine from Fulton Armory a few years back.
View Quote

Could you elaborate a bit on this?  I thought that M14 bipods mounted with one allen screw, that screwed into the receiver?  Please advise on it.  

Also, anyone have any experience with the B-Square bipods?  They have at least one that clamps to the barrel (for an SKS or AK) Maybe it would work for an AR too?  I'm still looking for a (semi)permanent installation where the feet fold back, toward the buttstock.  Thanks!

-Gloftoe
View Quote

Okay, got one of those puppies in front of me right now. Let's see now.  There is a 3/8 hex nut with slot for a screw driver and is attached to two metal plates, tightening the nut will squeeze the two plates together around a barrel or gas cylinder.  Well I just attached it directly to the 16" fluted barrel of my 100% Bushmaster upper. Works like a champ! Looks kinda cool too.

This bipod also has indepedent adjustments for height on each leg too which I like because I'm kinda small stature-wise, also if you are on uneven ground. The shortest position works pretty comfortable for me prone-wise.  BUT keep in mind that Imbroglio is correct that attaching anything to the barrel can/will affect its accuracy, which is the reason for the free-floating aluminum handguard tubes on ARs. The free-floating tubes don't touch the barrel at all. People have been know to attach a Harris bipod mounting stud on one of these aluminum tubes and attaching the Harris bi-pod to the aluminum tube/stud.

If you decide to get one, maybe you should try to get the seller for an inspection period, because if you are doing a prone thing, bench etc it may not fit you exactly. Give Fulton a call on their 800 number if you have any further questions. Also I don't know if my bipod is 100% GI, probably is a reproduction; personally I don't really know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top