Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#1]
fired my Yugo M48A today for the first time.  looks good, nice stock and barrel.  only $200 at a gun show.  i paid arond $15 for a box (20rds) or winchester.  i'm not going to use corrosive ammo in it.  sure has a nice 'bang' to it.  at 25yds my groups were from 1-3'.  not too bad with iron sights (for me anyway).
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 7:44:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Can anyone suggest some good sites for C&R firearms?  Message boards dedicated to them and such?  Thanks, I'm just starting to get interested in them and want to LEARN LEARN LEARN!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can anyone suggest some good sites for C&R firearms?  Message boards dedicated to them and such?  Thanks, I'm just starting to get interested in them and want to LEARN LEARN LEARN!!
View Quote

This is the best I've found: [url]http://pub42.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums[/url]
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are interested in the Russian Mosin Nagants, your one-stop shop would be [url=www.mosin-nagant.net]www.mosin-nagant.net[/url].  Can't think of any better site than that.

[url=www.battlerifles.com]www.battlerifles.com[/url] is another good one.

the_reject
Link Posted: 4/17/2002 9:07:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I would go with the mauser,and if you decide to go with the mosin nagant make sure you get a rifle.

If you get the 44 carbine it will kick like a rem 7mm mag.    They are all battle tested war rifles so you can't really go wrong,just a matter of personal taste as I see it.  Happy Shooting.     bob cole
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 8:44:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Mauser, of course. US 1903 rifle patterned after "The Backbone of the Wermarcht".
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:00:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Have you considered a K31 (straight-pull bolt action) in 7.5x55swiss?

AIM has them for $89.95, shipped, and the one I bought last week is a fine rifle.  All SNs match, the wood is a little beat up (hey, these were service rifles, not something that was built for ww2, never used, and stuck in cosmoline until no one wanted em anymore) but the bluing is nice, and the bores are AWESOME.

Ammo is a little steep (about $0.40 a round) but it's not too bad.
View Quote

Whoa, finally someone who knows a thing or 2 about a thing or 2.

I just recieve my 1000 of GP11 7.5, and am taking my k-31 shooting for first time this weekend. I CAN HARDLY WAIT!!

These weapons are in my opinion, are the sleepers of WW2 weapons, will shoot 1 MOA, bore looks brand new, blueing is 99%, trigger is 3 1/2 pounds at most, detachible mag, ammo is avalible now , Aimsurplus.com is best price anywhere on GP11 ammo.

Sig is actually the company that produced this weapon, so for you sig guys out there, this is a must.
Awesome weapon!
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I own a M38 Turkish Mauser along with k-31 swiss

Guys you really can't beat the duribility of a mauser action.  Over 100 year of proven duribility. It really is amazing when you stop and think about it. The greatest US military bolt action rifle was based off mauser action( 03 springfield), and its still not as good, there is some componites they "redesigned" that didn't match the original mauser.

I have one vote for Mauser, and another for the K-31 Rubin Schmidt.
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Whoa, finally someone who knows a thing or 2 about a thing or 2.

I just recieve my 1000 of GP11 7.5, and am taking my k-31 shooting for first time this weekend. I CAN HARDLY WAIT!!
View Quote

Awesome!  Let us know how well it shoots...  The $90 deal from AIM is really tempting, especially with free shipping...

the_reject
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#10]
you should just buy one, hell I'm thinking about buying one for spare parts. The mags alone are $50!

Ammo is the only problem with these rifles.

GP11 (7.5x55mm) was finallly import little while back so we can shoot these weapons.
There's alot of GP11 around from what I hear, so I'm not worried about it running out.
Its just sorta expensive, I always buy ammo in bulk so I'm picky about prices, it costed me like $350 for 1000 rounds(included shipping). But I don't plan on shooting this weapon like my AR so the price isn't that big of a deal.

I would buy one ASAP, there was only 500,000 of these made throughout its lifespan, so I bet there's not many left.

Once again, the only thing cheap about this weapon is the price. The Swiss know there
SH!^ when it comes to firearms!
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 11:03:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm sure you already know it, but for the sake of posterity in this thread (since it appears others are getting some decent info from it), M38 Mosin Nagant carbines were not originally to have bayonets at all - more as a crew-serve weapon.

They are also a bit more desireable as collectors items than the more common, fixed bayonet-stylin', essentially identical M44 carbine.

the_reject
View Quote

Well, not QUITE identical.

I have a a late M38 (made in 1944) that was arsenal rebuilt using an M44 stock.  They took the time and trouble to "repair" the notch in the stock where the M44 bayonet went.  A little sliver of wood, held in place by 6 little tiny pegs...

And when you pull the handguards off, the barrel is machined so roughly it looks like the surface of a phonograph record. The contrast is astounding.

I finally found the brand new khaki canvas Russion sling I needed to make this gun complete.  Apparently fresh from an arsenal rebuild, all the parts are numbered and match, from buttplate to magazine floorplate. I paid $125 for it.

I LIKE the Victorian look of the Mosin-Nagants. The curve of the line of the butt stock is unmistakable.  A decent quality MN is as accurate as any rifle used in WWII, and more accurate than many. I may yet buy a Finnish M39 built on a pre-1899 receiver and barreled by Sako. More than 100 years of history there, and the round is STILL in military use today.

I'd look seriously at one of the 6.5mm Swedes, as a choice.  No blinding flash, no agonizing bruises, but one of the more accurate rounds out there, very versatile, from varmints to elk, if you reload. Prime Carl Gustav models are still out there in excellent shape.  Many are marked with bore diameter and condition, even.

BTW, I finally ordered up some reloadable MN ammo, 180 grain jacketed soft points (Privi Partisan).  Seriously considering taking it hunting next fall, but will probably go with the new, shiny Rem 700 in .260 Remington (essentially equivalent to the 6.5 Swede).
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I LIKE the Victorian look of the Mosin-Nagants. The curve of the line of the butt stock is unmistakable.  A decent quality MN is as accurate as any rifle used in WWII, and more accurate than many. I may yet buy a Finnish M39 built on a pre-1899 receiver and barreled by Sako. More than 100 years of history there, and the round is STILL in use today.
View Quote

[url=www.floridagunworks.com]Florida Gun Works[/url] might have what you are looking for $119.95.

the_reject
Link Posted: 4/18/2002 1:28:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Tinker, Re Mosin M38's
'...I finally found the brand new khaki canvas Russion sling I needed to make this gun complete. Apparently fresh from an arsenal rebuild, all the parts are numbered and match, from buttplate to magazine floorplate. I paid $125 for it.'

Just rub it in, why don't you....  You are right regarding the rough machining on the wartime Mosins.  Mine's a '43 & has a M44 stock but no 'fix' on the bayonet cutout.  I agree on the Victorian look, part of the reason why I bought a Nagant revolver to compliment the M38.  The SMLE never really appealed to me & the '03 Springfield is just kinda 'there' but I'd love to buy a M95 straight pull Steyr, a Lebel or Berthier & a Krag.

Link Posted: 4/24/2002 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I bought the bullet.

Er, in this case, the rifle.  Tula manufactured hex receiver Mosin Nagant 91/30 from [url=www.gunsnammo.com]www.gunsnammo.com[/url] - $177.99 when I finished up.  Seems to be a bit of a premium price to me, but I'm certain that I'll get what I'm hoping for.

As for bullets, I'll be scoping out the gunshow this weekend for surplus and new manufacture 7.62x54R.

Wish my rifle luck, and I'll post pics when she gets here!

the_reject
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top