Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2010 6:28:08 AM EDT
Guys,

I just found out I am going to be headed to Raton, NM for a couple days October 21-23, dates variable.  This is a fully funded business trip where the business should take only an hour and a half of one day.  It looks like I either need to fly into Pueblo, Colorado or Santa Fe, New Mexico.  Get a rental and drive to Raton.  Which is the better drive?  Tell me how I can make a fun trip out of this business trip?  (Happily married, so no Hookers and blow) lol  I know that the Whittington Center is 10 miles south of Raton.  I am a Life Member of NRA.  But, I don't want to transport firearms by air so is there really anything to do at Whittington Center if not taking an M1A to try at 1000 yards?  What else is there to do?  Where should I stay?  Any great hotels or must see sights in the area?  I know that Taos, NM has spa resorts and stuff like that.  I don't see any events the week i am to be there.  
What about flying into Pueblo and enjoying scenic drive down and back from Raton?  Just looking for suggestions as to how to make great time out of short business trip.  Places that might rent a Jeep Wrangler and let me enjoy a scenic drive rather than a Chrysler and a boring highway commute.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:33:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Fly in to Santa Fe. The drive is pleasant. Serious food there. Raton ,,,nothing to see or do that I know of.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:33:18 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Guys,
I just found out I am going to be headed to Raton, NM for a couple days October 21-23, dates variable.  This is a fully funded business trip where the business should take only an hour and a half of one day.  It looks like I either need to fly into Pueblo, Colorado or Santa Fe, New Mexico.  Get a rental and drive to Raton.  Which is the better drive?  Tell me how I can make a fun trip out of this business trip?  (Happily married, so no Hookers and blow) lol  I know that the Whittington Center is 10 miles south of Raton.  I am a Life Member of NRA.  But, I don't want to transport firearms by air so is there really anything to do at Whittington Center if not taking an M1A to try at 1000 yards?  What else is there to do?  Where should I stay?  Any great hotels or must see sights in the area?  I know that Taos, NM has spa resorts and stuff like that.  I don't see any events the week i am to be there.  

What about flying into Pueblo and enjoying scenic drive down and back from Raton?  Just looking for suggestions as to how to make great time out of short business trip.  Places that might rent a Jeep Wrangler and let me enjoy a scenic drive rather than a Chrysler and a boring highway commute.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I would fly into Pueblo honestly and drive to Raton

Less traffic.
the NRA range is about all I am aware of for fun

If you have a few hours, just drive to Colorado Springs for the day

Pikes Peak, Garden of the Gods, lots of things to do there

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:41:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I would check with the Whittington Center to see if they still have shot guns for rent,  Marvelous range there.  Look at their web site to see what is going on there.  Take a warm coat.

I would also check out Capulin moutain,  it's run by the National; Park service
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:44:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I would check with the Whittington Center to see if they still have shot guns for rent,  Marvelous range there.  Look at their web site to see what is going on there.  Take a warm coat.

I would also check out Capulin moutain,  it's run by the National; Park service

So, October is cold in New Mexico?  Good to know.  I sent an email to Whittington Center.  Awaiting a reply.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:46:29 AM EDT
[#5]
You may want to cross post this in the New Mexico HTF.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 7:02:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Ain't much there except the Whittington Center.  There's an airport in Raton, but I'm not sure it's big enough to have scheduled service.

Scenery's nice either direction from Colorado or Albuquerque (biggest New Mexico airport).

If you were a Boy Scout you might visit Philmont.

I'd bring my fly fishing stuff, but you'd still need to drive.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I know that the Whittington Center is about all there is in Raton.  I was hoping some of the guys might recommend things to do in Santa Fee or Taos, or Pueblo or someplace in between to do when my business in Raton is done.  Any scenic drives in that region that are must do kinda things as this may be my only trip to that area in my life.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:29:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Responed in NM Hometown....

Cold in Oct ? could be...it was 36 one night last week visiting our other place  before Labor day weekend. West Taos county at 7300 elev.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:40:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I know that the Whittington Center is about all there is in Raton.  I was hoping some of the guys might recommend things to do in Santa Fee or Taos, or Pueblo or someplace in between to do when my business in Raton is done.  Any scenic drives in that region that are must do kinda things as this may be my only trip to that area in my life.

Going North into Colorado from Raton is pretty scenic ...lots of mountains etc....or you could head west in Taos, Red River and Angel Fire...the drive itself will be pretty spectacular. Most of that area is about is hiking, fishing, rafting, 4 wheeling, skiing  etc. so unless you have time for that you'll be mostly sightseeing.  Go to the Red River Gorge Bridge outside of Taos for sure...There is some shopping in Taos if you want to buy for the wife..

ETA. I once drove 100 miles in NE New Mexico without seeing a gas station so top off when you can.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:47:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I work in Santa Fe.
The main draws here are the old town Plaza, the art galleries everywhere (especially Canyon Road), Many good restaurants, a few museums and some nice scenery.
Whittington Center is the only thing that comes to mind in Raton. It's a bit of a drive, but Taos is cool, especially if you like art and moonbats.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:35:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Can't help on the flying part of your question, but while in Raton you MUST SEE the NRA's Whittington Center. It is 50,000 acres of shooting bliss. None better that I've ever seen any way.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:45:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Oddly enough, I'll be out there a couple weeks before that. I'm flying into Santa Fe. I love driving thru New Mexico.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top