Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2010 12:04:49 PM EDT
Have a Brother HL-2170W printer.  The low toner level light is flashing now.  Seems like a replacement toner cartridge is $50 for OEM, $25 for generic, and refill kits around $10.

Never refilled a toner cartridge before.  Is saving $$$ worth this route?  Or do I just take the ass rape and get a new toner cartridge?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:24:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the 2170 as well but I just got it last week.....to me, it's not worth it to attempt the refill kit so I'll just be buying the generic ones from Meritline for $22-23.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Depending on how you have to refill the toner can make a mess. I'd take a stab at the generic. I always bought OEM toner cartridges but after such a positive generic ink experience lately I wouldn't hesitate to at least try the generic toner cartridges now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#3]
nope
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#4]
How do you like the printer?  I'm in the market for a new printer (laser) and I'm not very friendly towards the Brother name...but I'm willing to give it a try.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Dear god no... do not refill toner cartridges.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:38:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How do you like the printer?  I'm in the market for a new printer (laser) and I'm not very friendly towards the Brother name...but I'm willing to give it a try.

The 2170 is awesome.  Across the board from everyone, unless you get into the $250+ HP or Samsung laserjet printers, it's the best one hands down.  Only downside is monochrome printing but meh.

eta:  The 2170 has the wireless printing on it.....if you don't need that, get the cheaper 2140.  Basically same printer minus the wireless setup.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

This.  I'm using a high-capacity generic toner cartridge for the exact same printer and it is fine.  Same print quality.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:39:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 2170 is awesome.  Across the board from everyone, unless you get into the $250+ HP or Samsung laserjet printers, it's the best one hands down.  Only downside is monochrome printing but meh.

Good to hear.  It's got good ratings on Newegg and for $89, who could say no?

How long is the toner lasting for y'all?

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had a Brother laser for about 5 years with no problems and just now probably need to get a new cartridge.   I'm getting dark fading down the edge of both sides of the copy.  What does that mean?  Once I took out the cart. and shook it to clear up a problem and that was some time ago.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:43:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a local co that rebuilds/'refills my HP laser for years. 100s of times. The answer depends. See if you have a local remanufacturer of toner cartriges, and go for it if they do it reasonably $. Works out $$$ for me big time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#11]
No, and as a matter of fact dont go with the generic, go OEM. I bet it ends up being cheaper per copy, the copy quality will be better and depending on how crappy the generic toner is, it may screw up your printer. I have have been servicing copiers, printers, etc for going on 18 years now. I have seen generic shit screw up machines time and time again.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:47:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok. Screw the refill kit.  Where to get generic cartridges?

As for the HL-2170W, it's been a great printer.  Like the wireless feature.  The wife likes being able to print from any room via laptop.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.  I'm using a high-capacity generic toner cartridge for the exact same printer and it is fine.  Same print quality.

Can you tell me where you get your generics from?

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:54:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Does Brother have a good price on a laser printer/fax wireless combo?    If I need to get a new cart for my Bro laser I pd $300 for 5 yrs ago, I may as well get a new laser printer and maybe add fax.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:55:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Try doing a dance to honor the toner gods with cartridge in hand.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you tell me where you get your generics from?

I stumbled across a local cart. store recently.  They have oem or refills.  Check google.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#18]
http://www.swiftink.com/product-p/tn-360.htm

HEATWARE15 coupon code for 10% off.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

In-store, Fry's carries the generic ones for my laser printer, but I don't know about online.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had the starter cartridge and it has lasted 2 years.  Left it on toner saver mode and I don't print much.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:02:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  Staples/Fry's were selling them for $69 for the refurb after a $30 rebate plus you could use a coupon you can buy online to bring the price down.  After coupon/rebate, my refurb is only costing me $52.

Guys, use Amazon or Meritline for the toner.  Meritline toner replacement
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I would find a printer that has an easy to install continous ink system. Usually Epson printers are the best but they don't make these systems for laser printers I think, ink jet only. I have an epson artisan and I have saved at least 1,000 dollars on ink alone so far.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I've had great success with toner refill kits from www.cartridgerefill.com for both an HP and a Xerox printer.
FWIW
YMMV
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:43:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No, and as a matter of fact dont go with the generic, go OEM. I bet it ends up being cheaper per copy, the copy quality will be better and depending on how crappy the generic toner is, it may screw up your printer. I have have been servicing copiers, printers, etc for going on 18 years now. I have seen generic shit screw up machines time and time again.

Yep, it's not an urban legend.  I've had generic toner destroy my printers on atleast two occasions at work and had to spend 80% the original cost of the printers to replace the guts inside.  It's not worth it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:09:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, it's not an urban legend.  I've had generic toner destroy my printers on atleast two occasions at work and had to spend 80% the original cost of the printers to replace the guts inside.  It's not worth it.

It's ~$150 laser printer.  It's basically disposable.  Buy generic toner or a refill kit and run it until the stuff kills it.  Spend another $150 in a year or two and buy another printer that has even more features as technology trickles down.

I have a HP1006 I got on sale for $90.  OEM toner is $60, generic toner
is $22.  I still get 1500 pages per generic cartridge it's just that when
the generic toner gets low it has a tendency to burn.  What does that
mean?  It means I throw the $22 cartridge away at the first sign of
lower toner instead of trying to squeeze every last page out of it.

Printer manufacturers know toner/ink is expensive so that's why they sell the printers at basically no profit.  All the money is made off of the consumables.  Printer ink/toner has the most mark up on it of damn near any other product on the market.  Shit.  You thought an AR-15 dust cover with JB Weld on it for $30 was expensive, it would cost you $400,000 to fill your car's gas tank with printer ink.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top