Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:31:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Funny it seems to me all the portly older guys are cutting center and the younger skinnys are fiddling with their uber tactical widgets/weapons during the rare times I go to a public range. They make my jowls shake with laughter just watching them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:31:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, they're just blocking out all the skinny people in the group pics.

to be fair some of the skinny folk have been eaten

The law of the jungle. Skinny ones cook faster, less time to wait.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:35:14 PM EDT
[#4]
If Shooting is a hobby then Firearms are not tools .
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Firearms users tend to me middle-aged, middle-class men.

Middle-aged, middle-class men tend to have a few extra pounds on them.  Usually not obese, but stereotypically "overweight."

Surprise.  

This.

I don't think most people understand what obese really is.

Obesity is an excess proportion of total body fat. A person is considered obese when his or her weight  is 20% or more above normal weight. Pretty straight forward...
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:38:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Middle-aged, middle-class men tend to have a few extra pounds on them.  Usually not obese, but stereotypically "overweight."

Surprise.  

I'd say more likely this, as you need money to play the gun game.

But...in my personal opinion (backed up by 6 credits of psychology) I'd say that many social misfits are drawn to firearms because they represent power without discipline.
Social misfits runs the gamut from the socially awkward & relatively harmless to the real strange cats.

I was going to say... Big fat dudes hope guns protect them when they cannot protect themselves.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:39:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

no its to make up for not seeing there dicks.. they need a phallic symbol to hold on to..

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:1bHwdw6feOVSvM:http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt29/yowhound/swords/fencing.jpg&t=1

Gentlemen, this is how you properly own someone.

Understatement

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There is no doubt that I use guns to compensate for a lack of physical prowess.  I'd rather win a gunfight than win a boxing match.

Well at least that makes sense to you.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:42:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
No jogging required at the gun range

Not unless you have a sadistic trainer who makes you run a couple hundred yards in full gear before firing to simulate stress and the other physical reactions you can expect in a shooting or combat.  

Yes...shooting wasn't as fun once it was accompanied with "You didn't get off the X when you presented your secondary...take that sandbag of brass and run the hill a few times to help your memory."

I gotta say I disagree.  Shooting was fun as kid learning.  But the most fun I had shooting as an adult all involved shoot-n-move senarios.  Buddy tactics during Basic Tng, 3-gun matches, or shooting classes.  Adding in the moving made it more challenging and fun.

Sure there is more wind sucking involved (especially for those of us that are gravity challenged) but when you do it right it's a much greater sense of acomplishment than shooting a clover at 100y from the bench.

I know what you mean and agree - the trainiing I got (and still get) from the PD is a ton of fun.
Even though it sucks clearing rooms with that body bunker it is just as much fun (even more) than shooting tin cans with a .22LR.
I tend to differentiate between "grown up fun" and "kid fun"
For instance - whisky doesn't taste "good" the same way that ice cream tastes good.

Anyway - we need to get together with MD_shooter for some more testing, and soon.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

There is no doubt that I use guns to compensate for a lack of physical prowess.  I'd rather win a gunfight than win a boxing match.

Trouble is, the trouble that finds you in life isn't always a gunfight.
Plus, should you be shot, the better your physical condition, the better your chances of not only surviving your wounds, but of being able to continue to stay in the fight.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
pshe!w pshew! pshew! my masheen gun did miss the target. FUCK YOU TARGET!!! i was mezmorized by meatloaf. i will eat you now there is no escape.

http://www.thevault.cx/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/guy-with-gun.bmp

I'm a big guy myself, but has anyone pointed out the irony that he can't fit thru the "Fitting Room" door behind him?

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

no its to make up for not seeing there dicks.. they need a phallic symbol to hold on to..

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:1bHwdw6feOVSvM:http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt29/yowhound/swords/fencing.jpg&t=1

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, shooting is a hobby that (nominally at least) doesn't require much physical exertion.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I resemble that remark  

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:51:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Compared to which sedentary hobbies?

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:52:53 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trouble is, the trouble that finds you in life isn't always a gunfight.

That's true sometimes it's a large chunk of polish sausage. Ditka!
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Surprise.  

But...in my personal opinion (backed up by 6 credits of psychology) I'd say that many social misfits are drawn to firearms because they represent power without discipline.
Social misfits runs the gamut from the socially awkward & relatively harmless to the real strange cats.
I think you are absolutely correct.  And I never really looked at it that way until now.  Lots of non-athletes seem to be drawn to shooting, and it is often the only manly thing they do as a hobby.  

Damn dude, I am thinking of a long list of people I know that fit the criteria.  For shame, I bet a number on our very website could tell you everything about a black rifle, but couldn't start a chainsaw if their life depended on it.  Or set up a tent or use a fly rod.  

You just hit on something.

I was going to say the chubby guys are usually the ones with the detailed knowledge because they get most of their scoop from reading books vice humping the weapon over hill and dale. And tend to be the ones who are the most hung up on proper nomenclature and terminology.  A scientific study done by me just this minute with no basis in fact shows that the more you are over the 20% body fat the more likely you are to bash someone for saying clip instead of magazine.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:08:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
as a certified fatty, I too, take umbrage at where this thread is coming from, since these days the rotund seem to have been cast lower than pedophiles or murderers. (thank you mrs obama)

but anyway, the whole point of the fire arm is to be able to apply force "over there" without actually having to get "over there".   even the skinniest among us can not run 1000 feet per second up to a target and hit it with a killing blow.

I think the pedophile thing is your own hang up. And I swear we are getting more like DU blaming the Obama's for everything like they did with Bush.

Anyhow, the point I have tried to make with folks is in a real world situation vary rarely will it be like standing in a lane at a shooting range. It will be a dynamic situation and we have to depend first on our bodies to protect us than a firearm.

I know they are only movies but look at those movies where a guy or a couple is terrorized by some dude for hours and across lots of ground. If you cannot jog a few miles at a pace that allows you to carry on a convo you should get there.

I am no longer the stud I was as a young Marine and at 45 with a ton of surgeries to put my body back together again I'd rather not exercise but I do it precisely because I am not that young stud anymore. I work hard at keeping a real world level of physical conditioning.

Being mentally and physically tough is far more important than being an expert marksman. when I talk about being overweight with people I don't do it to bag on them. I do it because I think being physically fit and physically tough is important when it comes to protecting ourselves and family.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:15:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#21]

I have read that an estimated one in three Americans own a firearm.

According to the CDC in 2007-2008 they estimated 34% of Americans 20 and over were obese.

So I would expect to see about 1 out of every 3 guys with a firearm obese.

Obviously there are overweight people and there are obese people. Not exactly sure on the percentage of Americans who are "overweight" outside their

healthy BMI range, but I would expect that the percentage of Americans overweight would at least be double that of those obese.

Probably more men than women are overweight.

More men into firearms than women.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#22]
i think the shooting hobbies attract far more dicks than obese folks
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:41:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Surprise.  

I think you are absolutely correct.  And I never really looked at it that way until now.  Lots of non-athletes seem to be drawn to shooting, and it is often the only manly thing they do as a hobby.  

Damn dude, I am thinking of a long list of people I know that fit the criteria.  For shame, I bet a number on our very website could tell you everything about a black rifle, but couldn't start a chainsaw if their life depended on it.  Or set up a tent or use a fly rod.  

You just hit on something.

Pfft.  Smallmouth bass on spinner bait or go home.

A lot of people use fly rods where you don't have to use a fly rod.  You're aiming for the holes anyhow.  Might as well get IN the hole.    As long as current is below 1 ft/sec or so you're fine with a lure and I think it works better than flies.

At least on the Susquehanna.  *shrug*

ETA:  Now that I think about it, I've never fished South of Virginia.  Canada, ME, PA, NY, MD, DE...  but never down South.  

Well, FL if offshore counts but that's a different game and I only play it if someone invites me on their boat.
I think I should have put baitcaster instead.  But the truth be told, I would wager I have caught more fish on an ultra light spinning reel using a beetle-spin.  I live an hour away from some of the best Rainbow Trout fishing east of the Mississippi, and I would rather jig for Crappie(pronounced Crap-pee btw) or throw a rattle-trap for largemouth about ten to one.

I love this website BECAUSE it is full of outdoorsy men.  Just like the shooting sports, its about 1 in 5 who are what Doctors_308 was talking about.  But we all know the guys who buy gun clothes like chicks buy shoes.  Or who think its a great skill to turn on a drill or drive a nail with a hammer.  

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:58:03 PM EDT
[#24]
WOW! Hard to believe 2/3rds of the people here are siding with the Wookie and then bashing other gun owners on top of it. Why should you care if the guy at the bench next to you is overweight? I guess the next thing will be ganging up on the overweight for supposedly causing your insurance to go up come Obama Care. At least the portly don't take themselves so seriously as you obnoxious skinnys do.  I'd say lighten up but then some of you would disappear.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If woodworking is a hobby, then my hammer is not a tool....
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Oh I see, sort of like how if woodworking is a hobby then hammers are not tools.

Right?

And how since growing flowers or plants for a kitchen garden is a hobby, shovels and rakes are not tools.

Right again, yes?

And how if cooking is a hobby then kitchen knives aren't tools.

Right again, yes?

And how if tinkering is a hobby then pliers and screwdrivers aren't tools.

Right yet again, am I?

Even being so wide of the mark of logical thinking, you're on to something.

The fact is, for a large number of gun owners, guns are tools only in a vague, general, secondary sense.

Most people collect or shoot guns as a pastime and a hobby.

Police and armed services use guns as tools for their work, and some people buy a pistol to carry around or keep by the bed in case of trouble.

Ar15s, the topic of this forum, are the very definition of guns as a hobby. They don't fill any kind of useful niche for people that aren't soldiers or police officers.  The ar15 is the ultimate hobby gun, so it's no surprise the site is so popular, nor that  A whole cottage industry supplies gadgets and doohickeys and flashy aftermarket parts to the hobbyist community.

My own tastes in collecting don't run this way at all though I'm afraid. I never got into the fixation with 'customizing' things, buying something basic and then 'personalizing' it by spending oodles of time snapping on or off whatever it is the thing is missing.

I like things which are special in themselves for one reason or another.  I don't think something is genuinely unique if it's only 'unique' in as much as you've done something to it that nobody else has chosen to do.

A gun with exquisite carvings on it is a special and unique in itself.  Taking a gun and painting it blue might make it the only blue gun in town, but who cares? Anyone else could paint his gun blue too, or red for that matter.

Same is true of an ar 15 rifle with doohickey X-1 attached to the side rail, doohickey KRS-99 on the other side, and tactical spectrum tan color whizbam 4000 grip on the bottom rail of its McSuper Rails Carbon-X KZ-1000 rail add on.

I guess certain hobbies have always been this way. People tinker around with their cars and paint stuff on them, or computers or stereos or whatever. A different breed from a car collector, i suppose.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:10:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Yup, come on by and my fat-ass will pump a couple of rounds into you.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

pshe!w pshew! pshew! my masheen gun did miss the target. FUCK YOU TARGET!!! i was mezmorized by meatloaf. i will eat you now there is no escape.

http://www.thevault.cx/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/guy-with-gun.bmp

Ya know he's a member here.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:24:46 PM EDT
[#29]
And what is wrong with tactical padding?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Hell one of us damn near killed a guy in a wendy's drive through Line cutting incident.

I support his actions.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

So it's the posers who are the fat guys. The men who see firearms as tools are probably for the most part in better physical condition.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#32]
tons of fat people here...
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#33]
As someone who spent several years sitting behind gunshow tables (which I'm still not sure why I did that) I can honestly say the shooting sports are indeed comprised of the following:

65% morbidly obese men who are all ready to fight the police and Marine Corps, yet cannot find a t-shirt large enough to cover their belly who's ego's completely override their ass. These guys also tend to be single, or upon occassion have an Asian wife that speaks no English and looks like she belongs in a Bangkok strip joint AND for whatever reason, drive fullsize 2wd pickups with a V6. Who the fuck buys a 2wd fullsize V6 pickup?

15% complete fucking homos (not gay people)

20% regular people who just like guns. Obviously you guys make up this 20%

I love guns and love to shoot and hunt but I tend to hate gun people more than any other subset of American culture. Ok, yes I hate hippies more, especially the know-it-all college hippies.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
as a certified fatty, I too, take umbrage at where this thread is coming from, since these days the rotund seem to have been cast lower than pedophiles or murderers. (thank you mrs obama)

but anyway, the whole point of the fire arm is to be able to apply force "over there" without actually having to get "over there".   even the skinniest among us can not run 1000 feet per second up to a target and hit it with a killing blow.

I think the pedophile thing is your own hang up. And I swear we are getting more like DU blaming the Obama's for everything like they did with Bush.

Anyhow, the point I have tried to make with folks is in a real world situation vary rarely will it be like standing in a lane at a shooting range. It will be a dynamic situation and we have to depend first on our bodies to protect us than a firearm.

I know they are only movies but look at those movies where a guy or a couple is terrorized by some dude for hours and across lots of ground. If you cannot jog a few miles at a pace that allows you to carry on a convo you should get there.

I am no longer the stud I was as a young Marine and at 45 with a ton of surgeries to put my body back together again I'd rather not exercise but I do it precisely because I am not that young stud anymore. I work hard at keeping a real world level of physical conditioning.

Being mentally and physically tough is far more important than being an expert marksman. when I talk about being overweight with people I don't do it to bag on them. I do it because I think being physically fit and physically tough is important when it comes to protecting ourselves and family.

Not to be a dick, but what I most take away from your posts is that you are always trying to convince people or teach people something. People find that annoying.

I agree with you that this site is no different then DU, same shit, different day.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I suspect that a lot of overweight "gun people" developed their interest because 1) it doesn't require any physical effort, 2) you can do it by yourself (they don't have girlfriends) 3) there is a lot of stuff to read & learn, so they can gain develop self esteem by becoming an expert at various aspects of gun culture.    

Or, maybe they just like to shoot stuff...  

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#36]
From what I've seen:

At gun shows and in gun shops?   Over-represented.   At the range?   Represented at about the same rate as the national average (i.e. high and getting higher).    

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:40:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think you misunderstand.  See, when your athletic/skinny, and use a firearm, that's OK––it's manly.  If you're fat, it's because it's a "physically underdemanding sport", or about "power projection without discipline".  Using that logic, athletic people who use firearms are pussies.

It's just general ARFcom "fattist" statements.  Fatties are the only safe target, anymore.  No more racial jokes, no more Nationalist jokes, no more sexist jokes, sexual politics/harassment is preached from the get-go, religious tolerance forced down our throats, every special-interest lifestyle defended rabidly...there's got to be some place we can safely spew our vitriol, our all-powerful urgings to smite and utterly destroy others while keeping our security clearances, social standing, and clean criminal record––and that place is filled with fatties, targets for the slaughter for everyone.  Fuck Fatties!  Fuck fatties in their fat, stupid, slavering, food-encrusted faces!  Yeah!  Get 'em!  

Fuck...now I'm all winded after the exertion of typing all that.  I'm going to need a bag of Doritos and a six-pack of Coke to cool down...before dinner.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:42:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Point and click.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:46:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Have you been to a bowling alley recently?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:47:57 AM EDT
[#40]
They're everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:48:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Surprise.  

I was going to say... Big fat dudes hope guns protect them when they cannot protect themselves.

LOL!    So true, at least in my case...I'll have to ask skinny people why they CCW.  Your logic indicates that Fatties need guns because they can't protect themselves.  So, if you're fat, you can't protect yourself.  Skinnies must be able to protect themselves, and therefore don't need guns...so: Skinnies who carry guns, or shoot guns, must be...what...pussies?

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:48:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Quoted:

lol!
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:51:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I found that my groups got tighter as I put on more weight.

Sort of the theory behind the 'heavy barrel' on my varmint rifle  
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 1:12:31 AM EDT
[#45]
I go shoot with a guy who is rather large.

I'd bet money that he would out run and out shoot most of the members here.

He moves quite well for a guy his size.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:01:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
"are you stuck to my back honey?"
"yes. there is a pizza here."

http://www.vat19.com/blog/pizza-back.jpg

Why do people let themselves get that big?
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:04:59 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Have you been to a bowling alley recently?

Yup. Hadn't been to one in years. Landwhales.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:05:00 AM EDT
[#48]
There's a correlation between gun ownership and rural as well as southern states.

And there's also a correlation between southern states and obesity.

Correlation does not imply causation, but there you have it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:07:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I go shoot with a guy who is rather large.

I'd bet money that he would out run and out shoot most of the members here.

He moves quite well for a guy his size.

He moves quite well, but not for long. He may outshoot, but he can't keep up for very long. In a real-life situation the stress would kill him, if not one way, then another- he couldn't keep up. Fat taxes a body. Human beings weren't designed to be obese.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:08:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There's a correlation between gun ownership and rural as well as southern states.

And there's also a correlation between southern states and obesity.

Correlation does not imply causation, but there you have it.

There are a lot of fat people up Nawth, too. Education, salary and lifestyle play a role as well.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top