User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/13/2010 11:25:16 AM EDT
Imam Says NYC Mosque Site Is Not 'Hallowed Ground'

Published September 13, 2010
| FoxNews.com

The imam leading the effort to build an Islamic community center and mosque near ground zero says there is a "misperception" that the proposed site is sacred ground.

Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf said Monday that the location where the center would be built, two blocks from the World Trade Center, has a strip joint and betting parlors nearby. He says it's "absolutely disingenuous" to suggest that it is "hallowed ground."

Rauf, speaking before the Council on Foreign Relations, also said that a resolution to the raging debate over its location is being examined.

"We are exploring all options as we speak right now, and we are working to what will be a solution, God willing, that will resolve this crisis, diffuse it and not create any unforeseen or untoward circumstances that we do not want to see happen," Rauf said during a question-and-answer session following his speech Monday.

He did not elaborate on whether the options included moving the center from a site two blocks from the World Trade Center.

But in response to a later question, Rauf said the proposed location, while controversial, was important.

"We need a platform where the voice of moderate Muslims can be amplified. ... This is an opportunity that we must capitalize on so the voice of moderate Muslims will have a megaphone," he said.

During his remarks, Rauf also raised the question of whether the project was worth the controversy.

"The answer is a categorical yes," he said. "Why? Because this center will be a place for all faiths to come together in mutual respect."

He noted: "The world will be watching what we do here."

He also decried some aspects of the debate surrounding the proposal.

"Let us therefore reject those who would use this crisis ... for political gain or even for fame," he said.

Critics of the proposal say putting a mosque so close to where Islamic extremists brought down the World Trade Center in 2001 shows disrespect for the dead. Supporters cite religious freedom.

Fox News' Eric Shawn and the Associated Press contributed to this report

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#1]
landing gear went through the roof of the building, its technically part of ground zero.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:28:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I think Bill the Butcher needs to stop by
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

landing gear went through the roof of the building, its technically part of ground zero.

is that true?

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah. 9-11 just made me more upset. This really pisses me off. Dave_A and the rest should be in here soon to defend the fuckwad Imam, and back him up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

is that true?

yes
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#6]
What a piece of work.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:31:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

BODY parts were spread farther than where the mosque is being considered.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:33:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Absolutely the point!

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:33:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am so pissed, right now. This is seriously in outrage. My co-worker got me all hyped up saying how fucked up this is. He's an old vet and said this is a disgrace to Americans how they piss on us and tell us WE NEED to be more PC, they can shove a PC right up their ass. This is war.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:34:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Folks, remember- we need to be sensitive to those who are showing insensitivity towards us.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:37:37 AM EDT
[#11]
My sensitive side says  THIS SIDE TOWARD ENEMY
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Folks, remember- we need to be sensitive to those who are showing insensitivity towards us.

So basically, fuck sensitive?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Fuck the Imam...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:39:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am so pissed, right now. This is seriously in outrage. My co-worker got me all hyped up saying how fucked up this is. He's an old vet and said this is a disgrace to Americans how they piss on us and tell us WE NEED to be more PC, they can shove a PC right up their ass. This is war.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Strippers and betting parlours didn't attack America. MUSLIMS did. Pretty simple really.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:00:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Strippers and betting parlours didn't attack America. MUSLIMS did. Pretty simple really.

I always give libs a multiple choice test-
"On 9/11, america was attacked by:
a) soccer moms
b) right wing christian extremists
c) muslim men of middle eastern origin between the ages of 18 and 31
d) CEOs
e) the bloods
"

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I am beginning to try and figure out a way to get tha Iman of New York and his pack into one set of buses and the entire Westboro Baptist Church in another set of buses and enter them on oppossite sides of someplace like Madison Square Garden with a pile of 200 chainsaws heaped in the middle of the arena and have them just go at it.

After that I am going to go a couple of blocks and get the Muslim family, and the Jewish family  down the block and have them over for a nice Kosher barbecue in my back yard and we can sit there and watch their kids play together like they are supposed to.

Better yet, I'll leave the parents home and invite the grandparents over to watch their grandkids play.

That way us old men can sit down together and gripe about our prostates.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:01:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Sad part is I haven't seen anyone really cover this shit but Fox. This story is for real fucked up. No matter what just for the decency of it since we show it to them WAY too much do not build this mosque how fucking hard is that?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

a) soccer moms
d) CEOs
e) the bloods
"

I wonder how many get it right. probably not alot.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:02:51 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

is that true?

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a) soccer moms

d) CEOs

e) the bloods

"

dude your avatar cracks me up!

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Body parts may still be there.

I coulda swore I heard on FOX while they were debating this that they said the bulding right next to it were condemended and not searched. EVER.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#23]
"Islam is too good a religion for the Arabs."

If the mosque is built at the proposed site, I will make a committment to celebrate every 9-11 anniversary by driving up to New York and sticking strips of uncooked bacon on the sides of the building.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#24]
His associate believes 9-11 was an inside job.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:11:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I heard Imam Rauf's speech at the Council on Foreign Relations on the radio live. Came over her by ship at 17, was impressed by the statue of liberty, had to adjust to a secular society, became an Imam, a naturalized American citizen, prays toward Mecca five times a day, took an oath to the United States of America. What is disturbing is the implied threat he keeps alluding to, IF THEIR ISLAMIC CENTER ISN"T BUILT AT THAT LOCATION! We Americans have been attacked all over the world by Muslims since our Embassy in Iran was stormed in 1979. There is no way I believe in appeasement. They will look at it as a victory, and keep advancing.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Fuck the Iminama or whatever the fuck he is. For all these years our troops have been and still are over there fighting and dying to depfend our nation from being attacked by these fucks again.Now we're being attacked on a different front.It amazes me that this is even news,that it is even being considered,or will possibly become reality.Just another day of shit being shoved down our throats that we cannot control.Who will the vendors for materials be?Who will transport the materials? Who will actually work on the construction crews?Boycott the fuckers. Who is the one person that could simply tell the fucks NO,move your shit somewhere else?AH fuck.Fuck it and fuck the insanaman fuck and all the fucks who look like him.Fuck.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:19:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

a) soccer moms
d) CEOs
e) the bloods
"

I wonder how many get it right. probably not alot.

No, be fair. Most DID get it right.

It's the ones that didn't that scare the hell out of me.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
His associate believes 9-11 was an inside job.

His associate is likely correct; inside because Muslim radicals cased the WTC towers as a target at least since 1992.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
"Islam is too good a religion for the Arabs."

If the mosque is built at the proposed site, I will make a committment to celebrate every 9-11 anniversary by driving up to New York and sticking strips of uncooked bacon on the sides of the building.

I was thinking maybe a crop duster spraying lard or ?  Lard is toooooo refined though.  But they could clean it off I guess maybe with a petroleum product.  I've heard one could sanitize it pretty well with a mixture of gelatinous petroleum and some kind of flint or magnesium.  Just thinking!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:21:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I think Bill the Butcher needs to stop by

Not that I would advocate anything, but these things do happen in NYC.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I am beginning to try and figure out a way to get tha Iman of New York and his pack into one set of buses and the entire Westboro Baptist Church in another set of buses and enter them on oppossite sides of someplace like Madison Square Garden with a pile of 200 chainsaws heaped in the middle of the arena and have them just go at it.

After that I am going to go a couple of blocks and get the Muslim family, and the Jewish family  down the block and have them over for a nice Kosher barbecue in my back yard and we can sit there and watch their kids play together like they are supposed to.

Better yet, I'll leave the parents home and invite the grandparents over to watch their grandkids play.

Well said, Sir. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:55:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:57:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:58:11 PM EDT
[#34]
The mosque will never be built here. This tool is posturing and fomenting hate to further his political/religious agenda. It has never been about tolerance or "mutual respect". Hell the name Cordoba should have given it away.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ground zero is the point directly under an explosion. Ground zero in Hiroshima is the point directly under the bomb when it detonated, not a mile away where a building was destroyed, or 5 miles away where. Little miss Ashima's tea cup was knocked over and broken.  So no, technically I wouldn't say it is "part of" ground zero.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#36]
That guy/cleric/whatever title they wanna be called is full of shit. They could literally put their mosque anywhere else in NYC but they take aim for as close as they can get to ground zero.

Coincidence? I think not.

It is hallowed ground; FUCK ANYONE THAT SAYS IT ISN'T.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:11:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That guy/cleric/whatever title they wanna be called is full of shit. They could literally put their mosque anywhere else in NYC but they take aim for as close as they can get to ground zero.

Coincidence? I think not.

It is hallowed ground; FUCK ANYONE THAT SAYS IT ISN'T.

You ever wonder how the Amerian Indian felt when shopping malls were erected on top of burial sites?

I think we all know now.  

The difference is the American Indian had already been defeated when this occurred...wait...a minute...

TRG

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Is he still threatening terror attacks if they don't build it there?????
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ground zero is the point directly under an explosion. Ground zero in Hiroshima is the point directly under the bomb when it detonated, not a mile away where a building was destroyed, or 5 miles away where. Little miss Ashima's tea cup was knocked over and broken.  So no, technically I wouldn't say it is "part of" ground zero.

Believe me if they could build the fucking thing within the footprints of the Twin Towers they would.

The property they want to build the mosque on is as close to the site where thousands of innocent people were murdered by fanatic islamisists that they could get their hands on.

And the attention they are getting as well as the controversy they have caused is exactly what they want; it'll make them seem all the more powerful when their mosque is erected.

In the unlikely event that the construction doesn't move forward; they'll play the victim card and gain a victory that way.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Add to this there are already dozens and dozens of mosques in Manhattan, this thing was originally called "Cordoba" and was planned to open Sept. 11 2012.

This is all a huge "FUCK YOU" to America, pure and simple.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:15:47 PM EDT
[#42]
frankly i hope those folks keep blithering away until november. just one more reason to vote the slackers out of office.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Oh dear Lord... Dust from the Two Towers probably circulated the Earth and fell across various regions of every continent at this point.  Shall we pretend all that land is somehow sacred, too?!?  

Respect for the dead is one thing... the abortion going on with respect to the Mosque (from both sides) borders on using the dead for ones own political agenda.  The Imam is hijacking the dead to show how intolerant Americans are, and how oppressed Islam is in America.  Those opposed to his building of the Mosque (from the standpoint of, "there ought to be a law,") have forgotten what makes them American... and they are using the dead to justify their hate and destruction of the religious freedom that made this nation great.  

This whole mess is a contrived distraction, and I am, quite frankly, surprised and apalled at how easily so many of you have bought into it hook, line and sinker.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:19:22 PM EDT
[#44]
I tell you what pisses me off the most is that its always us conservative Americans who have to back down.  If we don't like the illegals coming over we are racist and we should be quiet and back down, if its the Muslims who want to build a victory mosque on ground zero where other Muslims massacred thousands of Americans then we are islamophobes if we don't like it and that the Muslims will be mad and do violence against us if we stop it so we should be quiet and back down.   If we don't like homosexuals or pedophiles in our schools preying on our children we are bigoted homophobes and need to be quiet and back down.  If we don't like our tax dollars being taken from us to give to bums/welfare/ghetto pos's then we are again racists and need to be quiet and back down.  I pray for the day when their will  be such a outcry of 'ENOUGH' from the American people who then get their pitchforks and torches and smash the fuck out of anyone who spouts this PC BULLSHIT!     I am sick and tired of this country always having to be the one to back down.  FUCK THEM AND THE FUCKING HORSE THEY RODE IN ON!!!!!!!!!!!!  I think that the first requirement of any future President or any other so called leader is that they NEVER back down to any foreign Gov on anything and if they do any kind of appeasement they are automatically kicked out of office.  Rant Off.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#45]
You'd think that idiot would get the point that the general populace DOES NOT want that built there. But instead, he continues to push. Why? Because people are giving him a forum to do so.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:24:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I heard Imam Rauf's speech at the Council on Foreign Relations on the radio live. Came over her by ship at 17, was impressed by the statue of liberty, had to adjust to a secular society, became an Imam, a naturalized American citizen, prays toward Mecca five times a day, took an oath to the United States of America. What is disturbing is the implied threat he keeps alluding to, IF THEIR ISLAMIC CENTER ISN"T BUILT AT THAT LOCATION! We Americans have been attacked all over the world by Muslims since our Embassy in Iran was stormed in 1979. There is no way I believe in appeasement. They will look at it as a victory, and keep advancing.

Pay attention to this.
It has nothing to do with a mosque, property rights or anything else.

The mosque a ground zero is a victory flag, pure and simple. Nothing else.
Why can we not find out who is really financing this project?
There is a very gray money trail, leading to the voices of the most vocal for the mosque. Bloomberg and the rest.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
You'd think that idiot would get the point that the general populace DOES NOT want that built there. But instead, he continues to push. Why? Because people are giving him a forum to do so.

Because, if he can generate the funds and get people to build it*, the First Amendment protects his right to do it... no matter how uncomfortable it may make you feel.

This is no different than a soccer-mom who cries about how uncomfortable she is because you exercise your right to carry a weapon.

Either the Constitution means something, or it's just so much paper.

*The beautiful part about our system of freedom lies in the fact that the construction firms can refuse to build his precious Mosque.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:29:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is so right!!!!!!!!!!  Well said.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:31:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is so right!!!!!!!!!!  Well said.

You're damn right!  Perhaps we should just cut to the chase and round them all up like we did with the Japanese during WWII.  It is, after all, war.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#50]
For the record, I don't like the idea of the Mosque there any better than y'all... I'm just not quite ready to sacrifice the Bill of Rights on the altar of comfort.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top