Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2010 7:48:41 AM EDT
I have a Whirlpool natural gas dryer that "squels" for the first 5 minutes or so when initally started.   Sounds like a bearing or something, belt slipping, not sure.

It's a:

LGR5644JQ2

Serial number  MM0801538

Type D433-NAT-1206006-FM22

Best place to start on fixing this problem?    Thanks.

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:58:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a belt or dryer drum coaster/spacer (not sure what it's really called.
Does the drum turn freely and with enough power to flip the dryer load when turned on?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:00:39 AM EDT
[#2]
If it is a front loader you may be able to remove the lower front panel to determine where the sound is coming from.
I had a similar noise on my old front loader and isolated it to a bad bearing on the idler wheel, it just kept getting louder.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:05:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Sounds like a belt or dryer drum coaster/spacer (not sure what it's really called.
Does the drum turn freely and with enough power to flip the dryer load when turned on?

it's a front loading machine.

The drum seems like it turns with no problems.   It looks like the back of the machine will come off with no problem to get at the "innards", but wanted to get a few ducks in a row before i get into this project.

The machine operates like it should, but it does squel for the first 5 minutes or so when running.

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:08:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I used a small (2") putty knife to open the lid on mine. The section where the front panel meets the top.
I had a broken belt. Was a PITA to switch but very doable. An extra set of hands really helps here. I had my son help me.

If it works under load it's probably a pulley or drum roller.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:13:22 AM EDT
[#5]
I did find the parts list for the machine, but haven't tracked down the factory manual.    I do have a fairly new Reader's Digest "How to Fix Anything" book I should go look at.

gotta run.    Thanks a lot!!

vmax84
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top