Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:45:52 AM EDT
[#1]
The German tanks in Ringo's "Watch On The Rhine"   They called them Tigers.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Warhammer tanks are really cool, but they suffer from too many guns of too many different calibers with too limited field of fire problems. Where the hell do they put all that different ammo. That compromises the amount of ammo carried for the main gun. It would be more wise to just have one larger gun then a whole bunch of randomly sized guns. It's barely out of the WWI tank mindset.

Oh, I definitely only posted them for 'rule of cool', even I know they are pretty ass-backwards in many ways. That and they Imperator Titans with fancy Cathedral-Fortresses on the top, or the equally baroque Imperial Navy space craft.

One thing I have always loved about the Imperium is that it is struggling to regain lost technology all the time, and seems unable or unwilling to invent new things (Cult of the Mechanicum and all that).

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What was that tank from Hammer's Slammers?

Agreed, Drake, while not a tanker certainly was in the thick of it during his service with the armored cav in Nam.and it shows in his books.

And while I love the BOLO's and Bun Bun..they are not in the true sense of the word "tanks" Ones a mobile defense system and the other is a self propelled cannon.

Agreed, hence my dual preference of BOLOS and then the slammers tanks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#4]

The dark haired chick was sorta hot, in a nerdy, post apocalyptic, carpet munching kind of way.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:57:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:KRSiFlHhSOuTCM:http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8149/sheva.jpg&t=1

SheVa tank.  In particular, the one known as "Bun Bun", especially in it's post modified version, with the metalstorm turrets on the roof.

See my avatar.   Viva La Bun Bun....

Eat nukes, Posleen c-decs!  

What series are you guys talking about?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:KRSiFlHhSOuTCM:http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8149/sheva.jpg&t=1

SheVa tank.  In particular, the one known as "Bun Bun", especially in it's post modified version, with the metalstorm turrets on the roof.

John Ringo's Posleen Series.  Starts with 'A Hymn Before Battle"

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:04:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

John Ringo's Posleen Series.  Starts with 'A Hymn Before Battle"

And well worth the read.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bolo. Bolo Tank

this self aware AI completely devoted to humanity, larger than a city block, with a main gun that can shoot Frontline heavy Cruisers out of orbit as well as blow up small cities
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:09:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I love that pic.

Certainly a "cooler" picture of a version of Bun Bun, I used to have it as my wallpaper on the work computers when I was stationed in the UK.  The other pic, sadly, is more true to the description in the book.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:10:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also- it should be noted that the M2 Blower series is NOT the biggest, baddest tanks in the HS universe. The Terran Authority Star Marines use the HSAg series that uses anti-gravity as their propulsion system allowing them to deploy from orbit. Their armor is slightly heavier then the M2s and they use a rapid fire twin 10cm powergun which actually does more damage then the full on 20cm.

Reference?  I thought I'd read all of Drake's Slammers work and I don't remember those.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, Drake, while not a tanker certainly was in the thick of it during his service with the armored cav in Nam.and it shows in his books.

And while I love the BOLO's and Bun Bun..they are not in the true sense of the word "tanks" Ones a mobile defense system and the other is a self propelled cannon.

Fun fact: Why does Drake use the name "Platt" for his particularly weak, rotten characters?  A critic named Platt gave a poor review of an early work and opined that it was full of the "queasy voyerism" so common in book written by men who'd never seen combat.  Drake's been getting his sweet, sweet revenge ever since.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mark 30+ BOLO

Serious bad ass alien stomping power.

mark XXXIII  3 200cm hellbore main guns and 6 30cm hellbores as defensive armaments, plus it carried its own hovertanks and small strike craft for fire support, wont even go into all its secondary wepaons such rapid fire mortarsm infinite repeaters, missiles, and so on
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#13]

+1
Mk V, right?

Mk III

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:40:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Land Raider FTW!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:48:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Lack of any kind of ground clearance or suspension, right angle slab sided hull, lack of turrets in favor of sponsons FTL!

Before you freak out, I have many a Land Raider in my collections.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:55:58 AM EDT
[#16]
BOLO
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:57:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mark 30+ BOLO

Serious bad ass alien stomping power.

mark XXXIII  3 200cm hellbore main guns and 6 30cm hellbores as defensive armaments, plus it carried its own hovertanks and small strike craft for fire support, wont even go into all its secondary wepaons such rapid fire mortarsm infinite repeaters, missiles, and so on

I am pretty sure that in the book, Bolo: Old Guard, they have Mark XXXIV Bolo's with Hellbores and Hellrails.  I will have to look when I get home.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Lack of any kind of ground clearance or suspension, right angle slab sided hull, lack of turrets in favor of sponsons FTL!

Before you freak out, I have many a Land Raider in my collections.  

I miss that game haha, still have all my pieces in the basement but have not playing in 15 years or so.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:01:22 AM EDT
[#19]

This one, because without it, the others don't work!

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#20]
It appears SciFi tank design is heavily influenced by WW I and spiders.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Go TRON, or go home.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Don't have a lot to add. The Hammerhead hovertank from Mass Effect 2 was pretty cool though:

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:16:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

It appears SciFi tank design is heavily influenced by WW I and spiders.

Here's some that aren't.  I always liked the Renegade Legion tanks.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:24:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The German tanks in Ringo's "Watch On The Rhine"   They called them Tigers.

Those were "proto bolos" and manned by the SS for good measure...
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#26]
BOLO....For the honor of the Regiment........
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:31:37 AM EDT
[#27]

Ogre FTW

3 meters of carbide/ceramic/something or otehr armor. 60 tread units on a MKV, more on a MK3 and MK4 but less armament on the smaller, faster types. Carries Theater Nuclear missiles. Fires nuclear warheads from it's gun batteries.

Has no crew, it doesn't need one due to it being an autonomous AI unit. It has no feelings, it has no mercy, it has only a mission.

Man, that brings back good geeky memories! I have the Ogre game and the GEV game in the attic somewhere still I think.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Always been partial to a M.A.C. II

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also- it should be noted that the M2 Blower series is NOT the biggest, baddest tanks in the HS universe. The Terran Authority Star Marines use the HSAg series that uses anti-gravity as their propulsion system allowing them to deploy from orbit. Their armor is slightly heavier then the M2s and they use a rapid fire twin 10cm powergun which actually does more damage then the full on 20cm.

Reference?  I thought I'd read all of Drake's Slammers work and I don't remember those.

Crap- I'll look it up when I get home. It is not actually in a Hammers Slammers book per se- its in the book that Drake wrote within the Slammers universe but the Slammers were not featured. However, as Drake himself has stated that this book WAS in the Hammers Slammers universe and was contemporary to the HS unit we considered the TSA vehicles and troopers to be canon for the mini's (which Drake agreed was the case). Iirc, the Slammers had just been turned into the 1st Friesland Defense Force.

The HSAg (or HSaG- I can never remember which one is lower case) is also a modular system- the main turret can be removed to make a very heavily armored APC or replaced with a high intensity medium laser used in the anti-artillery/anti-air role.

And if any mini gamers out actually have the Hammers Crucibles rules my rules are the Elite skills, many of the optional rules, all Elite personalities and Molt rules. All of that has been my contribution to the game system.

Also if you go to David Drakes official site and navigate to the gaming area the blower miniature shown there- Drake's Hammer- is mine.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crap- I'll look it up when I get home. It is not actually in a Hammers Slammers book per se- its in the book that Drake wrote within the Slammers universe but the Slammers were not featured. However, as Drake himself has stated that this book WAS in the Hammers Slammers universe and was contemporary to the HS unit we considered the TSA vehicles and troopers to be canon for the mini's (which Drake agreed was the case). Iirc, the Slammers had just been turned into the 1st Friesland Defense Force.

The HSAg (or HSaG- I can never remember which one is lower case) is also a modular system- the main turret can be removed to make a very heavily armored APC or replaced with a high intensity medium laser used in the anti-artillery/anti-air role.

And if any mini gamers out actually have the Hammers Crucibles rules my rules are the Elite skills, many of the optional rules, all Elite personalities and Molt rules. All of that has been my contribution to the game system.

Also if you go to David Drakes official site and navigate to the gaming area the blower miniature shown there- Drake's Hammer- is mine.

I remember this too. I forget what it was in, but it was in one of the later ones, slammers had to make some long range run, and the threat was the terran marines were gonna drop on them. I forget if they did that or not though.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Bolo mk XXXIV with Hellbore and Hellrails , there was also Bolo mk LX with some pretty exotic hardware. Also included for consideration is the alien tank in The Voyage (Hammers Slammers) which used a molecular compression technology to destroy a starship.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The sheva from posleen series.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Bun Bun FTW!  The Sheva units used Abrams turrets the way current tanks use M2's and M240's

with an Honorable Mention for Hammer's Slammers.  

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Fuck your tank.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#37]

A Mark XXXIV Bolo would grind it up under a tread.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:58:07 PM EDT
[#39]

That's what I was coming to post.  

Blood for the Blood God!

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Only for those of us old enough to know.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:01:40 PM EDT
[#41]

That thing get dragged through a Tapco Catalog?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#42]

Anyone ever play this?

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:15:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That thing get dragged through a Tapco Catalog?

I think its a nice set of upgrades for a stuart (at least thats what I think is buried under all that shit).
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Photo's of David Drake approved Slammers vehicles. Dave worked diligently with the miniature makers to make sure the vehicles ended up looking like how envisioned them:

Slammers jeep with tri-barrel:

Combat Car:

Combat Car- Command Variant:

Slammers M2 blower "The Beast":

Slammers M2 blower "Drake's Hammer" - command variant:

From my Hammers Slammers mini's game on a custom 6'x16' table:

Slammers breakout:

Slammers blowers following a platoon of combat cars:

Texian Panavia Raven gunship coming in hot:

Terran Authority Star Marine HALO HSAG13 tanks and AA unit in TSA fort:

The blower "Booby Trap" leading the way:

SLammers and Texian forces advance past burning Zaporoskiye Brigade scout unit:

For thos really interested here is the link to the official Hammers Slammers mini games site- tons of additional pics from various launch games and shots from the rule book:
http://www.hammers-slammers.com/home.htm
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Yes, but if you had thousands of them operating in swarms, it could cause problems

Quoted:

One shot from a hellbore, and that little toy would be vaporized.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yes, but if you had thousands of them operating in swarms, it could cause problems

Quoted:

One shot from a hellbore, and that little toy would be vaporized.

Just add that to any post here other than the bolos...

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

DEATH TO TELEMARKETERS!!

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:01:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte

Landkreuzer P 1500 Monster
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:28:25 PM EDT
[#50]
I made this to honor my friend, First SGT Carlos N. Saenz.  KIA, Iraq, 5/5/2006.

The Saenz Heavy Hover MBT.

Digital sculpt that I rapid-prototyped.  
Last two pics are conventional cannon, and a heavy gauss cannon.
1/100th scale (15mm scale) it came out around 4 inches long.  
The hellionproductions link doesn't work anymore.  Sorry.

Best,
JBR
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top