BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:17:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Whats annoying is when people automatically assume youre carrying a glock, and its an HK.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:18:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Cops seem to attract a laundry list of retards. They can't stand in one place for more than 5 minutes before some mouth breather comes up and asks something stupid. They get tired of it.

this and i carry a crappy gun because it was super cheap, i would carry my personal weapon if allowed, when people ask i just tell them its a smith which it is, it a 9mm auto ceif's special and looks like shit and the sights suck for reasons i wont mention
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 10:44:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Most do not know, or care.  Those that do are going to look at you like a freak, possible threat since it is not a common question.  Why is it hostile?  Because most of the population is gun ignorant.  

Besides you are a pretty ignorant gun owner yourself if you can't simply tell what they are carrying by passively looking at their holster.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Cops seem to attract a laundry list of retards. They can't stand in one place for more than 5 minutes before some mouth breather comes up and asks something stupid. They get tired of it.

Notice how all the cops in this thread are quoting and saying "this".

We really do get asked stupid questions all the time.

We really do get interupted during our meals by mouth breathers with no sense of the fact we are on break and would just like to enjoy our one moment of peace to get asked these stupid questions.

We really don't understand why you (not the OP, just people in general) want to know what type of gun we carry.  Why do you care?  Are you just trying to make conversation or are you looking to buy a gun based upon what someone else (we) own?

We understand it is part of the job and anyone who has been on the job more than a year finds their own way of dealing with it.  Most of us just answer the question and go on.

AS A SIDE NOTE:  Have you ever wondered why the cops hang out at the donut shop all the time?  It's because the donut shop is the one place where you usually don't find drunks at 3 am.  Think about it.  When you drink you crave protein.  You go to Denny's or IHOP and get bacon and eggs.

Most people don't crave donuts when they are drinking.  We get tired of drunks comming up to our table while we are on break and asking us what happened last week when they passed a police car with the lights on at 4th and Vine (or some other off the wall questions we have not idea about) so we go to the one place where the drunks usually don't hang out.  The donut shop.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 11:38:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

In the Northeast you would be astonished at how many LEOs don't even know what they are carrying.

"I dunno. Whatever the force gave me."

honestly I'd probably just go with this to avoid conversations with gun tards

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:03:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!!  No truer words have been spoken.  I've been on the job for only a few months and this happens all the time.  I actually stopped going out to meal and started packing a lunch in.  I don't want to hear about your fucked up life when I'm trying to have dinner
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh and another thing that I hate...when I walk into an establishment, I'm tired of some fuck up saying "I didn't do it" or pointing to another fuck up and saying "He/She did it."  You are quite original there, chief.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:16:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then he quickly said HK and walked away.

And there you have it. Snob Cop.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:24:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:24:30 AM EDT
[#11]
double tap
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:53:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Methinks there is much truth in this.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:53:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Notice how all the cops in this thread are quoting and saying "this".

We really do get asked stupid questions all the time.

We really do get interupted during our meals by mouth breathers with no sense of the fact we are on break and would just like to enjoy our one moment of peace to get asked these stupid questions.

We really don't understand why you (not the OP, just people in general) want to know what type of gun we carry.  Why do you care?  Are you just trying to make conversation or are you looking to buy a gun based upon what someone else (we) own?

We understand it is part of the job and anyone who has been on the job more than a year finds their own way of dealing with it.  Most of us just answer the question and go on.

AS A SIDE NOTE:  Have you ever wondered why the cops hang out at the donut shop all the time?  It's because the donut shop is the one place where you usually don't find drunks at 3 am.  Think about it.  When you drink you crave protein.  You go to Denny's or IHOP and get bacon and eggs.

Most people don't crave donuts when they are drinking.  We get tired of drunks comming up to our table while we are on break and asking us what happened last week when they passed a police car with the lights on at 4th and Vine (or some other off the wall questions we have not idea about) so we go to the one place where the drunks usually don't hang out.  The donut shop.

Interesting.

I always thought it was just a joke/stereotype... then I started paying attention, and sure enough - Donut Shop filled with cop cars.

That makes a whole lot of sense.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:54:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

Next, if some of the "regular guys" on this site sat they are very selective who they talk to about fierarms, and in what setting, time, etc.

It's a somewhat personal question. Would you answer a somewhat personal question if someone you don't know walked up to you and blurted it out?

Next, it might be an indicator that someone has an "unhealthy interest" in that particular equipment.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 2:20:18 AM EDT
[#15]
You are lucky you didn't have your dog with you...
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:10:49 AM EDT
[#16]
I'd rather not, and prefer a "don't bother me and I won't bother you" attitude with LEOs.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:21:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I was going to say something smart a** but, seriously, I always preface questions like that with "officer do you mind if I ask you a question about firearms?".

They usually have no problem and talk my head off.

It's all in the delivery!!

Seriously though, there have been a couple of times when the cop said he was too busy to talk right now.  So be it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:22:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then he quickly said HK and walked away.

And there you have it. Snob Cop.

Yep, it was because of the HK, not the badge.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:30:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Lotsa cops just aren't "gun people."

Might as well be asking them the horsepower rating of their car or which brand of handcuffs they carry.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:35:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Most of the recent questions I have asked is advice on concealed carry holsters.

Our Lt. at the local PD suggested I use a clip IWB holster that goes on my hip.  

I went into the PD and asked the clerk the type of question I had and the Lt. came out.  He had no problem advising me.  He sized me up (I'm a semi-large man) and said the IWB hip holster should be what I use.

Was he right?  I don't know because the custom holster I ordered from Bell Charter Oaks hasn't arrived yet but he knows WAY more about that kind of thing than I do.

Just ask nicely and if they don't want to answer......so be it.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:36:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:37:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:59:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Methinks there is much truth in this.

Methinks this too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:00:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've done it to the Park Rangers at the lake before....they carried .40 Glocks....G22 IIRC.  He said they switched to them from the .45 but he liked the .45's better as he shot better with it.

He just asked me if I was a LEO....at the time, I was still in the .mil so I said that.  He was just like, "ah, that's cool..."

I read that quick and thought it said "on the take" not "at the lake".  I was like WTF?!  What the fucking fuck?!?!  And then I reread.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:08:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Is there something wrong with doing this? I've asked many (out of curiosity) and never gotten lip from a cop before. All of them have been pleasant and seemed to be gun guys.

I asked an officer this morning what his dept carried. He stopped dead in his tracks, looked at me like I had 10 heads and said  "what are you a cop or something?" in a pretty asshole tone. After I told him no then he said "What are you? Just a gun nut or something?" Again in an asshole tone. Then he quickly said HK and walked away.

HK.

Because you suck and he hates you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:10:07 AM EDT
[#26]
I carry a customized 1911, so for me it's not too bad.  Most of the time i'll get "Wow thats a nice 1911, what did you do it?"  Then I'll shoot the shit for hours.  Rarely does someone just come up and ask me what I carry.  If they do, I know they have no clue what they are talking about.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:10:11 AM EDT
[#27]
I've asked several cops without issue.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:12:03 AM EDT
[#28]
As a matter of principal, I don't usually bother cops or anybody else that's working. That includes asking what kind of gun they carry, car they drive or house they live in. If I'm really that curious I'll just look at their hip but odds are it's a Glock anyway.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:13:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I dont ever give a shit what any of them carry. Why would you ask? Cop fetish?

When approached on the street by a civillian, you can rest assured that 95% of the time, it will be one of two questions:

What kind of gun is that?

or

Can you tell me how to get to...?

Unless it is small town USA where the officer supplies his own duty weapon, they are carrying whatever their city or county buys for them to carry.  Most of the time, it is a Glock fo-tay.  You should be more interested in what an arfcommer carries.  That decision was based on more research than just the price tag.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:14:38 AM EDT
[#30]
I've asked a couple of cops and I get "Why are you looking at my gun?" and "What's it to you" comments. Bunch of arrogant, insecure pricks.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:22:22 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I've asked a couple of cops and I get "Why are you looking at my gun?" and "What's it to you" comments. Bunch of arrogant, insecure pricks.

Meh.  Some don't know exactly what they are carrying other than "Glock" or "Forty".  Secondly, most cops don't like having idle conversation with folks while on duty (from my experience).  If they get a few minutes of free time they like to eat, go to the bathroom, and maybe do their paperwork...Some guy asking 20 million questions may not be on their schedule.

Of course that is my experience with busy city/suburb cops.  Can't speak for the rural cops but I'm sure their workload is just as heavy if not heavier.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:36:20 AM EDT
[#32]
Why would you even ask that, anyway? Can't tell by looking at it?

Only time I've ever gone up to a cop (a very sweaty and miserable looking one at that) to ask him something was to ask one if he knew where any payphones were because my cellphone just died and I had been dropped off for jury duty since my car was in the shop... had no way to call for pickup.

I got, "Oh geez, I don't know... they used to have them all over here, but I can't think of the last time I ever saw one."
"Ah well... thanks anyway."
"Yup."

Started walking away, he goes, "Hey, wait..." as he pulls out his own cellphone. "What's the number?"

Gave him the number, called for pickup, made sure to mention loud enough for him to hear that "a really nice police officer was kind enough to let me use his phone" during the call, then hung up and gave it back with a "Thanks bud, I really appreciate it, you saved me a world of trouble."

Flashed me a big smile and a "You're very welcome, sir."

Looked like he was having a shitty day and probably had not had a positive experience with the public yet that day so hopefully a little positive interaction with someone who's sane was a nice respite.

And I don't know why I just told that story, but there it is.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:46:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Why not, most of the time you paid for it.

They did too !
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:02:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Only time I've ever gone up to a cop (a very sweaty and miserable looking one at that) to ask him something was to ask one if he knew where any payphones were because my cellphone just died and I had been dropped off for jury duty since my car was in the shop... had no way to call for pickup.

I got, "Oh geez, I don't know... they used to have them all over here, but I can't think of the last time I ever saw one."
"Yup."

Started walking away, he goes, "Hey, wait..." as he pulls out his own cellphone. "What's the number?"

Gave him the number, called for pickup, made sure to mention loud enough for him to hear that "a really nice police officer was kind enough to let me use his phone" during the call, then hung up and gave it back with a "Thanks bud, I really appreciate it, you saved me a world of trouble."

Looked like he was having a shitty day and probably had not had a positive experience with the public yet that day so hopefully a little positive interaction with someone who's sane was a nice respite.

That's a nice story.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:18:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have a HUGE amount of sympathy for LE that deals with public on 'the street'. Just by nature of their job, they're dealing with criminals; practiced and professional liars, cold blooded killers, cons, whores, dope addicts, dope dealers, drunks, deranged psycho's, and general miscreants. There's nothing 'friendly' about their work environment. So, when someone approaches, they have a split second to figure out 'whats' coming at them...

I try to give them a wide space, stay out of their way and let them do their business. I do not want to get involved in their world, their professional business.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:28:16 AM EDT
[#36]
What I gather from the arfcom leo's in this thread is, the civvies are mouth breathers, how dare people ask them a question.

Darn my salary being paid by tax payer funds, where I can't answer a simple question. Darn civvies
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:39:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Oh and another thing that I hate...when I walk into an establishment, I'm tired of some fuck up saying "I didn't do it" or pointing to another fuck up and saying "He/She did it."  You are quite original there, chief.

I've lost count how many times I've heard that over the years. Now I just recognize it for what it is and laugh it off. It may be the bazzillion'th time we've heard it, but maybe the first time "That" guy has said it.

"Most" people have little, if any, contact with the Police. So when you come strolling through the door or otherwise approach them, you catch them off guard. It’s a bit of a shock factor for them.
They automatically tense up and go on alert, with the natural tendency to assume that if you are there something must be wrong.
It's also a way they can bring your presence to everyone's attention, just in case the others there hadn't noticed.
The "I didn't do it", and "He/She did it" is just their way of easing the tension by using levity. It's also an open ended statement, or more of a thinly veiled question. They are hoping you will respond with the real reason you are there. And usually, we do.

Think of it as the public's version of ARFCOM GD's "Hide your dog"...
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:44:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What I gather from the arfcom leo's in this thread is, the civvies are mouth breathers, how dare people ask them a question.

Darn my salary being paid by tax payer funds, where I can't answer a simple question. Darn civvies

Thats what you got?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:50:55 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I don't mind shooting the shit with people when I'm not busy.

If I'm on break, doing something else, or you're drunk...no I don't want to talk to you.

Oh, and by the way...I paid just as much of my own salary as you paid of it...that doesn't make me self employed...and it also doesn't make you my boss.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:16:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Is there something wrong with doing this?

Not that I'm aware of. The last gear/gun related conversation I had with a cop (after he dealt with a minor incident where I work) was regarding his Level III SERPA holster. He was happy to tell me how much he loved the holster.

I guess he wan't aware that the SERPA actually contains an evil A.I. and will lock up his gun at the worst possible moment in order to hasten his death.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:59:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Recently I was talking to this cop at starbucks about his k-9 in the cruiser.The guy was completely friendly.  We got on to guns and told him I shoot and ccw and asked about his duty piece.  He was carrying an HK USP 45 and apparently a fellow gun guy.  My other two recent LEO interactions were positive - i could have gotten a ticket from a local PD for running a light and a DHS @ the airport spot checking and I didn't have my new insurance card with me.  they both let me go w/ a verbal warning.  more often than not, I find the few give the majority a bad name.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:03:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

"Yup."

Thank you for sharing that. That was kind of you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#43]
He was carrying a HK of course he's an asshole.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:09:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

first off, I didn't gather any thing like that from this thread, what I read is that we Police Officer's are just like everyone else, we have good days and we have bad days, most days we put up with our annoyance and you can't tell, other times it shows through. Being rude usually means a complaint so most of us go out of our way not to.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:12:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Yeah, and it's usually when I'm hammered and walking out of a bar.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:14:55 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Recently I was talking to this cop at starbucks about his k-9 in the cruiser.The guy was completely friendly.  We got on to guns and told him I shoot and ccw and asked about his duty piece.  He was carrying an HK USP 45 and apparently a fellow gun guy.  My other two recent LEO interactions were positive - i could have gotten a ticket from a local PD for running a light and a DHS @ the airport spot checking and I didn't have my new insurance card with me.  they both let me go w/ a verbal warning.  more often than not, I find the few give the majority a bad name.

I don't get paid any more to write tickets, so the deciding factor to me is attitude, usually a good attitude means a warning.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:17:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't get paid any more to write tickets, so the deciding factor to me is attitude, usually a good attitude means a warning.

"Hi Mr. Reaper"........"sorry Mr. Reaper, I didn't mean it, I always try to abide by the traffic laws"........now do I get a warning from you?

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Never invite the man into your life.

/thread

you can't /thread your own post....

That said, I'll /thread it for you, since you are correct....

/thread

How dare you talk to an officer....
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:17:58 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:19:35 AM EDT
[#50]
He carries an HK.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top