Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:23:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Due to my school schedule it will be a few more weeks before I can get it out on the water, but that will give me a chance to tighten up a couple minor maintenance issues.

Obligatory Page 2 ownage stuff.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:33:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about getting into sailing for a while.  I've been out a couple times with friends and the pace is - therapeutic (OK, it's been fairly calm when I've sailed ).

I decided to learn how, so today I bought a Capri 14.2 to pick up the fundamentals and polish some skills before moving up to something bigger.

With the rising costs of gasoline, the wind is still free.

Congrats! I love sailing.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:53:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Have fun. I just took my kids out overnight this past weekend and we all had a blast.

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:46:18 AM EDT
[#4]
My sailboat is a little more homegrown but loads of fun none the less.

Sailing canoe, "S.S. Soggy Bottom":

Link Posted: 9/16/2010 5:52:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not big into wind boats but my sister is. She has a 34' Beneteau.  

The first time we went out in it, (No place to put a fishing rod) she asked "Isn't this great?" I said, "Sis, we've been out almost two hours and we can still see the marina"  

Our speed was 1.2mph on the gps. .

It's a floating RV.  A NICE floating RV, but I prefer a boat that actually can go places over the horizon sometime today.

I remember pulling into my marina once after a week long Striped Bass Slay-athon and noticing there was a tournament checking in at the same time.  

I was toting the last striper to the cleaning station and waiting in line next to the passengers from the charter fishing boat that tied up at the same time.  They started ragging on me for having only one fish.  

Once I explained that he was just the latest addition to the freezerfull of fillets we'd collected over the past week on less than $20 worth of diesel............

Sailboats move all day at a perfect trolling speed without the engine running to scare the fish.
Sailboats can go all the way around the world between refueling stops.
Sailboats have their best days in weather that keeps the powerboaters at home wishing they could go out.  

There is nothing better than waking  up at anchor, already on your fishing grounds, making coffee, and then sitting back with Bob Marley bumping along while you fish and wait for the powerboat crowd to finally get everything set and show up.  

It ain't about the speed.  It's about how much fun you have getting there.  

My favorite fishing GPS location is 66 miles form the marina. The SECOND best spot is 36 miles southeast of that.

On an average trip i'll fish three wrecks and a floating oil rig for tuna, round trip is somewhere right at 140 miles.   I'd like to be back by Monday of next week.

Why?  I'd rather stay out.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top