User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Your research is flawed.

Krav Maga is the IDF's martial art. It has zero aesthetics, and it is designed to do damage. There are no tournaments, you learn to use whatever is at hand.

Quoted:
From what I've researched, Krav Magna is a flashy movie star fight sequence discipline with near zero practical combat applications. YMMV.

How can you tell the difference between the legit krav maga places vr the watered down stuff?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#2]
If it is for actual use then Krav.

If you just want to get in shape and maybe eventually fight in matches then join an MMA gym and train in kick boxing, muay thai, and jiu jitsu.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:13:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your research is flawed.

Krav Maga is the IDF's martial art. It has zero aesthetics, and it is designed to do damage. There are no tournaments, you learn to use whatever is at hand.

Quoted:
From what I've researched, Krav Magna is a flashy movie star fight sequence discipline with near zero practical combat applications. YMMV.

How can you tell the difference between the legit krav maga places vr the watered down stuff?

Off the top of my head, do a little research and determine what it takes to become certified as an instructor in the different Krav organizations.

My instructor is certified to teach by the Krav Maga Federation. Even though he holds a 3rd degree black belt in Shotokan Karate and a 2nd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, he started training as a "no belt" in Krav Maga. Only after advancing through the different levels of training was he accepted into a rigorous instructor program and earned the right to teach under the Krav Maga Federation. He's been certified for a little while now and he's not a black belt yet - again, this is a guy with several European Karate championships under his belt and actually earned a place on a European national team for Shotokan Karate.

Other Krav Maga organizations will let you attend their instructor's course for a few weeks and that, combined with a significant cash payment will allow you to teach. There's a very mainstream "Worldwide" Krav org with a flashy website that falls into this category.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:16:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Krav Maga

Jiu-Jitsu

Eskrima

In that order.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:23:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Grab my arm."

"No, not there."

"That's too low."

"There, that's perfect. Get ready for the ass kicking of your life!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hh10UVpfpy0

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#6]

I suggest Cheap Trick at Budokan

Thank me later

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:33:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Commando Krav Maga got in to some trouble with the Instructors being fakes or something like that. One guy lied about his military record and who trained him

http://www.fakeselfdefenseinstructors.com/2010/02/commando-krav-maga-is-in-trouble-aiziks-fraud-is-being-investigated-and-reported.html
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:36:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Commando Krav Maga got in to some trouble with the Instructors being fakes or something like that. One guy lied about his military record and who trained him
http://www.fakeselfdefenseinstructors.com/2010/02/commando-krav-maga-is-in-trouble-aiziks-fraud-is-being-investigated-and-reported.html

That is the ONE problem with Krav being tought here in the USA. You have to do your due diligence when looking for a Krav Maga instructor because there are alot of phonies out there or instructors that just don't teach it right.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not sure how much practical application Krav Magna has, but I'm pretty sure Krav Maga has been well tested...

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the ONE problem with Krav being tought here in the USA. You have to do your due diligence when looking for a Krav Maga instructor because there are alot of phonies out there or instructors that just don't teach it right.  

Commando Krav Maga is an absolute scam.  Moni Aizik, the founder, has been proven to have falsified his martial arts training background and military credentials.  As I understand it, he can't even show his face in the US for fear of being sued for his unethical business practices.

If you're looking for legit Krav Maga instruction, stick with organizations affiliated with Krav Maga Worldwide, Krav Maga Alliance, or International Krav Maga Federation (IKMF).  And stay very far away from anyone affiiliated with Commando Krav Maga AKA CKM.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:50:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I suggest Cheap Trick at Budokan

Thank me later

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Great album!

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:09:00 PM EDT
[#12]
I know people love to pick on TaeKwon-Do here, but I'll have to put my $0.02 worth in here.

I had 27 years into TKD, 23 of them teaching it.  I wasn't too terribly interested in promoting every time I had the chance so I ended up with a Samdan black belt in ITF style.  For those of you who may not know much about TKD other than what you hear / read, ITF is the original style, blending Shotokan karate and TaeKyun.  It has no relationship to the newer WTF (Olympic) style TKD.  Just for reference, my textbook includes Nihanchi Shodan as a legitimate hyung / kata.

After a number of years in TKD I decided I needed to branch out.  Forays into Shorin-Ryu, Ueichi-Ryu and Aikido broadened my horizons.  

One thing I can tell you, to paraphrase the late, great Bruce Lee... "when I first started in martial arts, a punch was just a punch.  After I learned for a while, a punch became something more.  After I had spent a number of years in martial arts I found that a punch was just a punch."  I found that there are only so many ways that the human body can move.  TKD, JKD, Shotokan, Wu-Shu, Muy Thai... they all emphasize particular aspects but in the end they are all the same.  
Now, grappling vs. striking arts are a whole 'nuther story.  Despite what a number of people say, NOT all fights end up on the ground.  BJJ is not the be-all, end-all of martial arts but some grappling skills are essential to a well rounded martial artist as are striking skills.  Just as you don't want to JUST have a gun in your arsenal of skills you do not want to only have grappling / striking skills.

I guess what my long-winded post is saying is to find a good school and study whatever style it is until you are proficient.  THEN branch out.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I've wanted to take Krav Maga for YEARS.

Unfortunately, the nearest place to take it is an hour's drive from me and when you add the high cost of instruction with the cost of gas and time (time is money for me) it is just cost prohibitive.  

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, I have an opinion.

Forget Krav, focus on dedicated studies and blend them together as you are able, once you gain enough experience to do so.

For example- study boxing, Muy Thai and BJJ. You're more effective knowing all three than learning someones idea of a hybrid.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yes, I have an opinion.

Forget Krav, focus on dedicated studies and blend them together as you are able, once you gain enough experience to do so.

For example- study boxing, Muy Thai and BJJ. You're more effective knowing all three than learning someones idea of a hybrid.

That's great, but it takes a lot of time and money to learn three different disciplines. Some folks have jobs and families to spend time with in addition to training.

Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Muay Thai or Western boxing
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I have an opinion.

That's great, but it takes a lot of time and money to learn three different disciplines. Some folks have jobs and families to spend time with in addition to training.

Then I'd join a reputable gym that teaches all three (many do) and alternate nights between hands and ground game, mainly focusing on hands. Takedown defense would be high priority too.

That's just my opinion, and preference.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top