Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:33:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I CCW everywhere it is legal to do so.  Unless told not to in advance, I will probably be CCWing....and if told not to I might just CCW something smaller.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:53:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Does everyone whose house I go into need to know if I'm carrying a pocket knife?  No?  Then they have no need to know that I've got a firearm.  I carry quality firearms in quality holsters with above average retention.  There's no way the gun is coming out of the holster unless I remove it myself.  And when I'm away from home the only time the gun comes out of the holster is if I think someone's trying to hurt or kill me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you think so, why?  I'm a firm believer in "concealed means concealed", personally.

...Concealed means concealed.. means invisible... means NO ONE SHOULD KNOW IT'S THERE.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:57:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are you that bored?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:02:36 PM EDT
[#5]

by law in SC you must ask permission.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you ask every business owner if they mind if you carry concealed as you walk into their store or resturaunt or office? Why would you need to ask a homeowner. Concealed is concealed. Your personal protection is your business. It is nobody elses business. Also if you leave your weapon in your car is the homeowner going to guarantee your safety while you are in their home? Probably not.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#7]
My gun goes wherever I go. I don't ask and if they find out somehow and have a problem with it, I'll leave. I won't go back without it either. If they don't respect/trust me then they aren't my friend. Its never been a problem though.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#8]
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. Wear a gun to someone else's house, you're saying, 'I'll defend this home as if it were my own.' When your guests see you carry a weapon, you're telling them, 'I'll defend you as if you were my own family.' And anyone who objects levels the deadliest insult possible: 'I don't trust you unless you're rendered harmless'!" - L. Neil Smith, The Probability Broach
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#9]
If they don't like guns i probably don't talk to them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd say it's wrong for one reason:

A homeowner should have a right to decide how his home defense is handled.  If he wants everyone in his house to surrender in the event of any armed intruder, then I think that's his right to demand and expect.  If that means you never go to his house, so be it, but I don't think you have a right to engage in an armed defense within the home of someone who does not want or approve of armed defense.

Same thing with a business.  If the sign says no guns, then either I go in without my gun or I just don't go in.  They want to declare their establishment to be gun free?  Fine.  I think that's within their rights.  I don't have to agree.  I don't have to go in there at all.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:19:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm leaning towards "it's not even wrong when they would object to it..."
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

They're not the boss of me.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Concealed is concealed.

This.

Usually ackward telling someone on may chat with once a year, ''hey btw I'm sporting a Glock Model 19, two spare magazines and a Kahr P380 with reload), you down with that cousin?"

That said I don't visit relatives I don't politically agree with, so it is a moot point.

I normally wouldn't go loaded for bear like that when visiting someone's house.  Too hard to conceal.

One sidearm (G27) and one extra mag.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I never go anywhere without my CCW unless it is prohibited by law.  In friend's homes, or in a situation where I need deep concealment, I have found my Smith 442 to be great!  No one but me knows I have it.  You never know when there might be a home invasion while you are at the friends.  Am I paranoid?  Yeah.

Patrick
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Just don't shoot a hole in my bathroom ceiling while finger-fucking your pistol.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#16]
alaska law you have to inform, UNLESS they run a business out of their house then you are OK(table top FFL's, day care ect ect)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#17]
In Alaska you must obtain express permission before doing so.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes it is.

There is a certain degree of expectation of what you bring with you when you enter a person's home.  You should tell them, so they can be informed as to the conditions you bring with you, so they can make an informed decision with all available information. A person's home is their controlled space, and you are entering it.

If the home owner had a live alligator in their bathroom, would you want to know about it?   Or should the homeowner just "let you figure it out, cause it's not your business"?  You have a expectation that the bathroom does not have alligators in it, don't you?  When you are invited over, it is assumed your are not knowingly bringing a deadly contagious disease with you, and the home owners is not expect to need to ask.

Now if they homeowner know you carry all the time, then he sould expect you to be armed when he invites you over.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:12:29 PM EDT
[#19]
They say there's no dumb questions, but that's a dumb question.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:12:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Providing you don't take it out, why do your personal belongings affect anything or intrude on anyone? No different than a condom in your wallet...doesn't make you a rapist, nor should you have to apologize or ask permission for it being on you.

But, some people have different viewpoints on this. Pussies, mainly.

As per usual, I agree with Dr. Swingset's outlook on the matter.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#21]

I ccw in places that would make your head explode. The reason "they" don't know is.....wait for it....waaaaait for it...... They don't know!They don't fucking know!!!!! OPSEC and keeping your weapon concealed is the name of the game, learn how to play it. Otherwise stop ccw'ing cause you're doing it all wrong and need to be punched in the face.

ETA: Here's an experiment! Stop and ask the attendant of every place you enter and ask if you can carry a gun onto the premises. Then report back how that works out for ya  
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#22]
SIL decided that my niece and nephew who liked it when I came over to "play." Were better off being around their uncle rather then me saying no when invited with conditions made on my choice of dress.....

That said she would have never known if my little bro had kept his mouth shut.

As for anyplace else If my pants are on so is a filled holster.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yes it is.

There is a certain degree of expectation of what you bring with you when you enter a person's home.  You should tell them, so they can be informed as to the conditions you bring with you, so they can make an informed decision with all available information. A person's home is their controlled space, and you are entering it.

If the home owner had a live alligator in their bathroom, would you want to know about it?   Or should the homeowner just "let you figure it out, cause it's not your business"?  You have a expectation that the bathroom does not have alligators in it, don't you?  When you are invited over, it is assumed your are not knowingly bringing a deadly contagious disease with you, and the home owners is not expect to need to ask.

Now if they homeowner know you carry all the time, then he sould expect you to be armed when he invites you over.

I'm not sure that is an apples to apples comparison.

The question isn't "is it wrong to go into someone's house spraying bullets aimlessly towards everyone in the area?" If you want to say that having a gun on you isn't the norm, then you'd probably be right. That disease reference sounds kind of like being in the presence of a gun = instant death. Same with the alligator; guns are not autonomous killing machines, alligators are.

What can we take in a person's house without asking? How about a pocket knife? Mace? Box cutter? Koran? Is the line drawn at firearm? I'm as curious as anyone else. I understand that keeping secrets isn't the best policy, but neither is creating a concern where there isn't one.

We all obviously respect firearms for what they are capable of, but we all also realize that they are useless without an operator. There are literally thousands of things you could take into someone's home that they would be concerned or offended by, but that we would never give a second thought to. The difference is that those things aren't as politically charged as firearms.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top