[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Make pickles.

It's easy.

Made some today.  It's super easy.

It is not easy to make e.g. genuine dill/sour pickles. It is easy to make fake ("fresh pack") pickles.

Fake pickles (like the kind that are most often sold in jars in stores) are basically just cucumbers cooked and marinated in vinegar. Real pickles don't use vinegar (or they very little). They are fermented in a salt brine over a period of a couple of weeks. The sourness comes from the sugars in the pickle turning to lactic acid during the fermentation process. With fake pickles on the other hand, the sourness comes from the acetic acid in the vinegar.

Real pickles tend to be stronger and saltier than fake pickles. They are awesome, but are often hard to find in stores (and even harder to make with good results). If you can find some in your area, try Heinz Premium Genuine Dill Pickles. If you've never had a real dill pickle you'll be amazed. These things make a typical fake "fresh pack" pickle (e.g. Vlasic or Claussen) taste like water.

O.K.  
I don't make pickles anything like you described, and they are certainly as "real" as any other.

There is a reason that only pickles made in the traditional way (fermentation in a salt brine) can be labeled as "genuine"; while others can't be (they usually use the term "fresh pack" which is a euphemism for "not genuine"). BTW, I'm speaking specifically of dill and/or sour pickles. I don't know if the concept of "genuine" is even applicable to weird pickles like "bread and butter pickles" or "mustard pickles".

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:27:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Little boy says to his mom "Are you going to stick that one up your butt like you did the last one" as she stands holding a cucumber in the produce aisle at Kroger.

Priceless

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:32:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Make pickles.

It's easy.

It is not easy to make e.g. genuine dill/sour pickles. It is easy to make fake ("fresh pack") pickles.

Fake pickles (like the kind that are most often sold in jars in stores) are basically just cucumbers cooked and marinated in vinegar. Real pickles don't use vinegar (or they very little). They are fermented in a salt brine over a period of a couple of weeks. The sourness comes from the sugars in the pickle turning to lactic acid during the fermentation process. With fake pickles on the other hand, the sourness comes from the acetic acid in the vinegar.

Real pickles tend to be stronger and saltier than fake pickles. They are awesome, but are often hard to find in stores (and even harder to make with good results). If you can find some in your area, try Heinz Premium Genuine Dill Pickles. If you've never had a real dill pickle you'll be amazed. These things make a typical fake "fresh pack" pickle (e.g. Vlasic or Claussen) taste like water.

O.K.  

I don't make pickles anything like you described, and they are certainly as "real" as any other.

There is a reason that only pickles made in the traditional way (fermentation in a salt brine) can be labeled as "genuine"; while others can't be (they usually use the term "fresh pack" which is a euphemism for "not genuine"). BTW, I'm speaking specifically of dill and/or sour pickles. I don't know if the concept of "genuine" is even applicable to weird pickles like "bread and butter pickles" or "mustard pickles".

What are you, the pickle police?  Pickles come in many varieties, they're all "genuine."  The OP didn't even ask about anything specifically related to pickles, or their history; just what to do with extra cucumbers.

My pickles are easy to make, delicious, and get rid of your excess cucumbers.  I don't care if you approve, or think they're "real."

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:48:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Make pickles.

It's easy.

O.K.  

What are you, the pickle police?

I didn't define the terms.

Pickles come in many varieties, they're all "genuine."

No, they're not.

"The old-fashioned way of making dill pickles, fermenting cucumbers in a salt-brine, produces the type of dill pickle commercial picklers call a "genuine dill pickle." While you preserve most other kinds of pickles by using acetic acid present in vinegar, this type of dill pickle is preserved by lactic acid produced during a fermentation process that takes place over several weeks."

A similar thing applies to cheese. Something like Kraft Singles may colloquially be referred to as cheese, but it is actually "processed cheese" (AKA: "cheese food").

The OP didn't even ask about anything specifically related to pickles, or their history; just what to do with extra cucumbers.

My pickles are easy to make, delicious, and get rid of your excess cucumbers.  I don't care if you approve, or think they're "real."

I was addressing your "super easy" claim about making "pickles". Using shortcut methods that result in something that is not genuine often is "easy". I was pointing out that while it may be easy to make pickles using the time-saving "fresh pack" method, it is not easy to make genuine pickles. I also pointed out that genuine pickles taste very different than "fresh pack" pickles, and that a lot of people have never even had them; and may be worth trying some.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:04:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Slice.  Slice onions too.
Put both in vinegar with black pepper.
Chill and eat.

Chop.  Mix with plain yoghurt, Mint and black pepper.
Serve on top of grilled or roast meat and as a salad dressing.

Cut into sticks.  Chill.   Eat.

Pickles.

Dildos

Core and stuff with spicy tuna like a sushi roll.
Slice and eat.

Eat, plain while drinking  REALLY cold Hendricks Gin.

Chop.  Put in Gazpachio.

Slice thin.  Make sammiches with dill, cream cheese, capers and bread with the crust cut off.  Impress hoidy toidy ladies.  

Slice really thin.  Arrange in layers to make sculptured animals.  Drizzle with an oil based sauce that has lots of strong flavors.  Eat the animals as a salad.

Throw at people that piss you off.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:49:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:05:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Mrs. Woermer. "Cucumbers are sensuous".
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:26:14 AM EDT
[#9]
They make damn good ammo for tater guns!
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:26:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Make pickles.

It's easy.

O.K.  

No, they're not.

"The old-fashioned way of making dill pickles, fermenting cucumbers in a salt-brine, produces the type of dill pickle commercial picklers call a "genuine dill pickle." While you preserve most other kinds of pickles by using acetic acid present in vinegar, this type of dill pickle is preserved by lactic acid produced during a fermentation process that takes place over several weeks."

A similar thing applies to cheese. Something like Kraft Singles may colloquially be referred to as cheese, but it is actually "processed cheese" (AKA: "cheese food").

The OP didn't even ask about anything specifically related to pickles, or their history; just what to do with extra cucumbers.

I was addressing your "super easy" claim about making "pickles". Using shortcut methods that result in something that is not genuine often is "easy". I was pointing out that while it may be easy to make pickles using the time-saving "fresh pack" method, it is not easy to make genuine pickles. I also pointed out that genuine pickles taste very different than "fresh pack" pickles, and that a lot of people have never even had them; and may be worth trying some.

Fuck me

Tier 1 pickles
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:27:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm very surprised and relieved that this thread turned out the way it has.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:39:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Make pickles.

It's easy.

O.K.  

No, they're not.

Fuck me

Tier 1 pickles

No shit.  Fucking know-it-alls make me not want to offer any advice.  

I normally don't let GD bother me, but being talked to like a child by someone who is full of shit, pisses me the fuck off.  Fuck this.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Make pickles.

It's easy.

O.K.  

No, they're not.

Pickle snobbery.  Wow.

You introduced "genuine" into the discussion.  Prior to that, we were all just talking about how to dispose of some surplus cucumbers.

I don't think the OP is planning to can and market any pickles he might make on a commercial scale, so I don't think that any crazy food industry standards for "genuine" pickles really apply.

"Genuine" pickles might be great, but you've elevated the pickle argument to beans vs. no beans heights in a single thread.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:26:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Let's get this thread back on track You can make some nice hors d' oeuvres by slicing them thick, about 3/4 to 1 inch, hollowing the center with a spoon, or better yet, a melon baller, and filling it with  pretty much anything you think would taste good. My personal favorites are a nice crab salad, with lemon and dill, or a "mousse" made with chopped shrimp, roasted garlic, and cream cheese. Give it a try
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#16]
First you need to oil one.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top