(not joking )

Going to need pictures of this.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:21:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Here ya go.

One 1957 vintage, 1/2 ton, iron, steel, and aluminum side-hack rig

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:26:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Guys use magnets from hard drives on your bikes.  Small and weigh very little but they're very strong.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Happens to me all the time. I run them. I'd definitely challenge the ticket
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Been to court on this a couple of time's. The key is how long did you wait? If you just assumed that you did not trip the light because the other light went first thats why you got the ticket. You still will probably get a pass from a judge. Just tell the judge you waited a reasonable amount of time and you have had trouble before at that same light. I've always had mine dismissed. But I'm also always patient at lights. I told the judge once that I waited 15 minute's.

I waited roughly 3-4 minutes while I was moving the bike around and stomping (apparently in vain) on the ground.  This light is very quick about turning the instant you show up at the intersection.  It turned immediately when the other car pulled onto the sensor.

Fight it. I bet you win. This is a constant frustration for biker's. And most traffic courts are aware of the problem.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#8]
I've heard that putting the kickstand down on the cuts in the road will help.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't think there is such an exception here in Texas.

But I know of several lights where the weight of my motorcycle is not enough to cause the light to change.

When I use to ride, my HD plus me was not enough to trip the sensors.

An '89GIXXER isn't. I've akways wondered about this too.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I never got a light to trip at any intersection when i rode.. I waited a long time then would just run it. I would take that shit to court in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Another reason to build roundabouts. Whenever my signal phase gets skipped, then I know I'm not getting detected.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Tell the judge. I call officer discretion.

No such law here.

i hope the judge sees it that way.

What did the cop expect the guy to do, set there all day? If had changed lanes or something, then he would have gotten him for that.

The cop should have understood and maybe just have given him a warning if anything.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Another reason to build roundabouts. Whenever my signal phase gets skipped, then I know I'm not getting detected.

Violates the fucking ADA.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:
So, a "friend" just got a ticket for "running" a red light on his motorcycle after coming to a complete stop.  He stomped on the ground to make the damn sensor notice him.  He rolled back and forth.  No luck.

Arent most of them magnetic?

Ive always read that the fix it is to glue a small speaker magnet to the bottom of the bike.

They work on magnetic field disturbance I believe, and I've heard the same.  United Nuclear has a good selection of high powered smaller magnets too, but a speaker magnet should do it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

But I know of several lights where the weight of my motorcycle is not enough to cause the light to change.

It's not the weight, there is a loop of wire that has a loop detector in the box for the light controls, it's a magnetic field or something to that effect.

They make something you can mount to your bike if it's to small to trip traffic lights.

Ever notice when you pull up to a light, there is a spot where the pavement has been say cut, that's where the wire is put in place.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A red light is a red light.

You certainly don't ride a motorcycle.

When it holds you for 15 minutes, it is no longer a safety issue, run through it.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Guys use magnets from hard drives on your bikes.  Small and weigh very little but they're very strong.

Hard drives don't have permanent magnets in them.  They have platters that are affected by magnets.  The TINY read/write heads have electromagnets in them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I have the same problem with my lifted truck, it may trip them 1 in 10 tries.  I run them too.

Me too.

Wait one full cycle then run it.

Never gotten caught.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:19:05 PM EDT
[#19]
So, I just went out and tried it again.  I sat at that fucking light for 5 minutes in one direction and 7 minutes going the other direction.  The ONLY way that sensor got tripped was when another car pulled up behind me.

ETA:  The kickstand trick didn't work.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:34:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Vehicle detectors in the ground at lights detect ferrous metals not weight.

If you can see the square saw cut in the ground put your bike on one of the corners as that is its most sensitive area most likely to detect you being there.
All aluminum and you can have problems.....corner of the loop in the ground is your best bet.

Around here, the newer intersections are camera sensed:
http://www.humantransport.org/bicycledriving/library/signals/signalcam1.jpg

My city is going this way.  My Grand Cherokee wouldn't trip the signal at one of our intersections.  They installed the cameras and they work great.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 3:37:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you can see the square saw cut in the ground put your bike on one of the corners as that is its most sensitive area most likely to detect you being there.
All aluminum and you can have problems.....corner of the loop in the ground is your best bet.

My city is going this way.  My Grand Cherokee wouldn't trip the signal at one of our intersections.  They installed the cameras and they work great.

The light at the main exit to my neighborhood (exits onto a highway) is camera controlled.   I noticed several times that it will NOT detect me on my motorcycle.   I usually go out the other exit anyway, since I don't have to wait for a light, tho.

Most traffic signal detectors are inductive (magnetic)
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:25:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

When I use to ride, my HD plus me was not enough to trip the sensors.

Same for me  here in California.  My personal rule is (regardless of the law): I'll wait for three complete light cycles.  If my light doesn't change by then, I'll make sure it's safe to proceed, and go.

Judges are not out to ruin your life.  I think that if you made it clear that you had waited a good bit but the sensor just wasn't working, then it will be dismissed.  The LEO was just doing his job––he may have just come up on you when you broke red.  Cops are pretty reasonable people, and many of them ride, as well.  They've been there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:30:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So, I just went out and tried it again.  I sat at that fucking light for 5 minutes in one direction and 7 minutes going the other direction.  The ONLY way that sensor got tripped was when another car pulled up behind me.

ETA:  The kickstand trick didn't work.

Take it to court. Bring an iPhone video of you waiting 5 minutes at said light. Claim you waited 10 and you had no other choice but to go.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:41:40 AM EDT
[#24]
If the opposing traffic gets 2 green before mine turns I go through it. There was an accident just down from the light one night when I was comming home from work and cops were everywhere. I sat at that friggen light through 4 cycles before I said screw it. Now I just go if the road is clear.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:47:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A red light is a red light.

I'm pretty sure everyone here knows what color a red light is.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 4:54:14 AM EDT
[#26]
I heard of a clever solution.  I have not tried this myself, though, so no real experience.
If the light doesn't "see" you kill your motor.  Then start it back up again.  The field from the starter motor, usually down low on the bike, will activate the magnetic sensor.

Like i said i have never tried it but it seems as likely to work as anything.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:32:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard drives don't have permanent magnets in them.  They have platters that are affected by magnets.  The TINY read/write heads have electromagnets in them.
Oops...  

The read/write head assy has a large electromagnet on one end and the r/w heads on the other. This large electromagnet is then placed in a strong (permanent) magnetic field; two strong rare-earth magnets. The heads are moved by changing the magnetic field in the electromagnet, which acts against the permanent magnetic field.

In this way, the r/w head placement can be electronically controlled vs. mechanically controlled. Remember when HDs had to be low-level formatted from time to time? Or when the mounting position could cause problems? These problems are handled by sensing the signal strength of a read operation and minutely changing the head position for maximum signal. Constantly adjusting the head position can't happen on a mechanically-aligned head design.  

[/thread jack]
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:46:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Killing the engine and restarting is suggested by Virginia DMV to trip the magnetic sensor.

For the camera sensors, I will back up a little and angle the bike.  This seems to make a big enough target to trip the camera.

Suicide.  Terrible suggestion by any DMV.  A motorcyclist aboard a bike NOT RUNNING is a target and not able to move away from an offending vehicle.

Flip the kill switch back and forth, hit the starter.  Takes about a second.

It was actually a guy on a Harley that pulled up next to me one time and told me that trick, long before I read it from the DMV.  I was even on my sportbike at the time.  

But typically, if it's obvious the light doesn't detect me and I don't see any popo, I just go.  

Quoted:
I heard of a clever solution.  I have not tried this myself, though, so no real experience.
If the light doesn't "see" you kill your motor.  Then start it back up again.  The field from the starter motor, usually down low on the bike, will activate the magnetic sensor.

Finally, somebody else who's heard of this.  
That's apparently how it works.  

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:52:18 AM EDT
[#29]
And I had that happen LOTS of times when I had a MC.

Let me say this. If a cop is watching a light and then sees a MC (hell, a car) sit at a non functioning light and then cautionsly go through it when safe, and THEN writes a ticket, then he is a chickenshit asshole.

I would probably pull them over, just to check for a drunk. But in NO WAY would I ever write a ticket for that offense.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:54:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah sure,  sensor cameras.

With ammo and currency detectors in them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:03:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Lights should be a a timer reguardless of the sensor. If they relied just on a sensor they would all be red all the time unless a car drove up to them
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 6:06:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Lights should be a a timer reguardless of the sensor. If they relied just on a sensor they would all be red all the time unless a car drove up to them

Ever driven around at 3:30 a.m.?   The main road will stay all green and the side roads stay red, until somebody pulls up.

It's actually a very enjoyable time to be driving or riding.  

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top