Too bad I'd have to wait in line eh?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Do you speak English?
Do you pay taxes?  

-IF SO- Welcome!  

Are you on welfare?
Do you have any chilln' name NaQuisha, Latoyna, or KaPedra?

-IF SO-

To answer your question, there is no downside to being a Canadian.  Canada is a the best country in the world.  We have most of the freedoms of the USA and no black on black crime!  

That's because there's only one black guy up there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Could prove useful to have a Canadian passport if traveling abroad in certain areas...

I can see some potential up-sides to having dual citizenship. What are the downsides?

I'm a dual Canadian/American citizen, living in the US.  I can't think of a downside.  Canada doesn't tax based on citizenship, it taxes based on residence.  If you are not resident in Canada (or don't have significant residential ties) they can't tax you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats, eh?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:02:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Could prove useful to have a Canadian passport if traveling abroad in certain areas...

I can see some potential up-sides to having dual citizenship. What are the downsides?

I'm a dual Canadian/American citizen, living in the US.  I can't think of a downside.  Canada doesn't tax based on citizenship, it taxes based on residence.  If you are not resident in Canada (or don't have significant residential ties) they can't tax you.

Do you need to file a tax return each year even though you do not owe any taxes?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Has anyone forwarded this to ICE yet?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#7]
OK, I've put some pretty serious thought into this over the last 20 minutes while making dinner.

The following are advantages of being Canadian:

#1.  You can buy cheap Norinco guns (even though you shouldn't) and then brag about having the ability to buy them even if you haven't or won't on Arfcom.

#2.  Everyone in the world (by default) likes you.  

#3.  You can bitch and moan about stupid Americans.

#4.  You can have as many abortions as you want.  

#5.  You can marry whoever you want.  

#6.  Medication is cheap(er) here

#7.  Codeine is available OTC.

#8.  We don't let halfricans run things up here.  

#9.  Canadian cigarettes are way fucking better then US brands.

#10.  When people send you emails with "People of Wal-Mart" pictures you can thank your lucky stars that that shit doesn't happen up here.

#11.  Wal-Mart doesn't check your receipt while leaving.

#12.  You won't have to worry about ever shopping at LaRue ever again because they don't ship up here because their too fucking cheap to register for a mother fucking export permit and don't think much of the Canadian market or Canadians, obviously, to which I can say kiss my hairy fat ass.  

#13.  You can make fun of french Canadians and can't be called a racist.

#14.  As a country, we can piss off whoever we want and know that we won't suffer any of the consequences of it because America always has our back (or will handle it for us ).

I'll add more as I think of them.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who were you pulling for in winter olympics hockey?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:12:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
they will tax you as soon as they figure out your one of them.

Nope. Unlike the US, Canada and most other countries only charge taxes if you reside in the country.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can't be Preside.... never mind...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:13:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you need to file a tax return each year even though you do not owe any taxes?

No.

When I moved from Canada to the US, that first year I had Canadian income and US income.  My final Canadian tax return was for that partial year, and I indicated on the return that I left the country on a particular date and was non-resident after that.  It's sometimes called a "departure return".  I cut all my ties with Canada (no bank accounts, no property, etc) and that was that.  Not necessary to file returns once you are a nonresident.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't tell anybody, but I hate hockey
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:15:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I am too for the same reasons.
Pretty cool eh?
I need to contact the embassy and get the process started.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:16:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, your cutting ties with Canada and moving here was not by choice eh?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am too for the same reasons.
Pretty cool eh?
I need to contact the embassy and get the process started.

Goddamn we have all kinds of filtraters in the wire tonight!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Am I the only one in this thread who is NOT Canadian?

Eh?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:18:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Do you have an uncontrollable urge to come to Florida in the winter?

Are you a lousy tipper?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
To answer your question, there is no downside to being a Canadian.  Canada is a the best country in the world.  We have most of the freedoms of the USA and no black on black crime!  

You crack me up
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:20:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Are you a lousy tipper?

You got fucked over by a bunch of bad-tipping Canadians, didn't you?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Are you a lousy tipper?

I was in Vancouver this spring on vacation and over-tipped just aboot about everyone. I guess that was my little contribution to American public relations abroad.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:32:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

part of the hockey-hater purge of 1993
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

part of the hockey-hater purge of 1993

LOL

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:34:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Maybe not out west... different story in Malvern or St. James Town
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm sorry.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Holy shit, I almost forgot about the TAVOR!

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#26]
I TOOK THE TEST......NO GO.

Other than the time in '76 that I tried to cross the border and the Canuks denied me entry and then got caught at another crossing and promptly told to leave or face jail time I have never gone back.

I hear the have some good strip clubs though.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Canadians are always dreaming up a lotta ways to ruin our lives. The metric system, for the love of God! Celsius! Neil Young!  They walk among us. William Shatner. Michael J. Fox. Monty Hall. Mike Meyers. Alex Trebek. All of them Canadians. All of them here.  When have you ever heard anyone say, "Honey, lets stay in and order Canadian food"? Think of your children pledging allegiance to the maple leaf. Mayonnaise on everything. Winter 11 months of the year. Anne Murray - all day, every day.  Like maple syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OK, I've put some pretty serious thought into this over the last 20 minutes while making dinner.

The following are advantages of being Canadian:

#1.  You can buy cheap Norinco guns (even though you shouldn't) and then brag about having the ability to buy them even if you haven't or won't on Arfcom.
#2.  Everyone in the world (by default) likes you.  
#3.  You can bitch and moan about stupid Americans.
#4.  You can have as many abortions as you want.  
#5.  You can marry whoever you want.  
#6.  Medication is cheap(er) here
#7.  Codeine is available OTC.
#8.  We don't let halfricans run things up here.  
#9.  Canadian cigarettes are way fucking better then US brands.
#10.  When people send you emails with "People of Wal-Mart" pictures you can thank your lucky stars that that shit doesn't happen up here.
#11.  Wal-Mart doesn't check your receipt while leaving.
#12.  You won't have to worry about ever shopping at LaRue ever again because they don't ship up here because their too fucking cheap to register for a mother fucking export permit and don't think much of the Canadian market or Canadians, obviously, to which I can say kiss my hairy fat ass.  
#13.  You can make fun of french Canadians and can't be called a racist.
#14.  As a country, we can piss off whoever we want and know that we won't suffer any of the consequences of it because America always has our back (or will handle it for us ).

I'll add more as I think of them.  

also you have milk in bags.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Canadians are always dreaming up a lotta ways to ruin our lives. The metric system, for the love of God! Celsius! Neil Young!  They walk among us. William Shatner. Michael J. Fox. Monty Hall. Mike Meyers. Alex Trebek. All of them Canadians. All of them here.  When have you ever heard anyone say, "Honey, lets stay in and order Canadian food"? Think of your children pledging allegiance to the maple leaf. Mayonnaise on everything. Winter 11 months of the year. Anne Murray - all day, every day.  Like maple syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.

Dude, you forgot about our #1 singer of all time - Rita McNeil (speaking of mayonnaise)

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:49:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, you forgot about our #1 singer of all time - Rita McNeil (speaking of mayonnaise)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn3I57XYe-M

wtf is that thing

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:59:46 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wtf is that thing

That "thing" is our #1 Canadian pop star.

http://www.ritamacneil.com/page/page/6890676.htm

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Better start liking that bagged milk.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#33]
good day mate
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Hoser
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:04:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Now you have to make sure to say "eh" and "hoser" a lot, and pronounce the word "sorry" as "sorey."
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:23:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Go to Canada and buy one of these.

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-SSD/SSD-BD-MP44.shtm
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#37]

You will now have the irresistible urge to give moosehead.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#39]
So, what hockey team do you play for? And what position? Eh?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#40]

Based on the information you provided, it appears that you are not a Canadian citizen
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

wtf is that thing

That "thing" is our #1 Canadian pop star.

http://www.ritamacneil.com/page/page/6890676.htm

Then that's something in common, our #1 popstar was a white woman too: Michael Jackson

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I was born in the US and have lived my whole life here. My dad was a US citizen when I was born but my mom was Canadian at the time (she has since obtained her US citizenship).

Anyway I was doing some nostalgic Youtube surfing watching the intro to "Danger Bay", one of my childhood favorites, which happened to be filmed in Vancouver, BC. Somehow this got me remembering that my mom had told me in the past that I could get my Canadian citizenship if I wanted to. For fun I decided to look this up to see the eligibility requirements and turns out they have a test entitled, I kid you not:

"Am I a Canadian CITIZEN?"
(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules-citizenship.asp)

So I took the little test, answered a few questions and the result I received was: "Based on your answers, you are likely a Canadian citizen. "

Not "you could be granted citizenship if you apply" but "you are likely a Canadian citizen, as in right fucking now."

So now what? Will my head start flapping? Will I have to do join the Army next time I'm in country? Not exactly sure what to do with this new information, but I'm sure you guys will be able to help out.

???

Cool story, Eh?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#43]

Speech impediment to follow, eh?

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I was born in the US and have lived my whole life here. My dad was a US citizen when I was born but my mom was Canadian at the time (she has since obtained her US citizenship).

Anyway I was doing some nostalgic Youtube surfing watching the intro to "Danger Bay", one of my childhood favorites, which happened to be filmed in Vancouver, BC. Somehow this got me remembering that my mom had told me in the past that I could get my Canadian citizenship if I wanted to. For fun I decided to look this up to see the eligibility requirements and turns out they have a test entitled, I kid you not:

"Am I a Canadian CITIZEN?"
(http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules-citizenship.asp)

So I took the little test, answered a few questions and the result I received was: "Based on your answers, you are likely a Canadian citizen. "

Not "you could be granted citizenship if you apply" but "you are likely a Canadian citizen, as in right fucking now."

So now what? Will my head start flapping? Will I have to do join the Army next time I'm in country? Not exactly sure what to do with this new information, but I'm sure you guys will be able to help out.

???

You are going to have to start drinking bad beer, eh.  By the caseload you hoser.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:44:37 PM EDT
[#45]
For those of you suggesting going shopping for cool import rifles, I'd love to, too bad I couldn't bring them home to the states.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Winter 11 months out of the year is fine by me, but the rest you can keep.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Bummer, The United States doesn't recognize dual citizenship.

The US doesn't have a special category for "dual citizens", no.  The US considers me an American citizen.   I'm required to enter the US with my American passport. Canada considers me a Canadian citizen.  I have two passports, and no problems.  I also have a NEXUS card.  Makes crossing the border fast and easy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#49]
I sent my paperwork in july of '09

Had my Canadian citizenship certificate in March of '10.

It made it very easy for me to work in Canada between jobs.

All you need to know can be found at lostcanadians.org

I carry two passports, a Canadian passport to enter Canada, and a United States passport to enter the States.

I travel internationally on business, Which passport would you enter Australia with?

By the way, it is illegal for any U.S. citizen to travel to Cuba.

Dual citizenship is recognized by the U.S. government.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Now you have to be polite!

On the plus side, you have a pretty snappy national anthem! And "The Maple Leaf Forever!" is nice too.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top