User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:19:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question for the guys recommending KAC, do you really feel the extra $2500 - $3000 additional to the cost of other models mentioned, Armalite / Larue is worth it?  Are thet THAT good?

You can find them for about 1800 more or so than larue/mws.

Its lighter, has less recoil, ambi controls, supposed to be able go 5000 suppressed without cleaning, a bunch of other nice stuff. I thought it was worth it.

I own an AR10 too, I much prefer the SR
http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/5323/33684821.jpg

OK, how is the same weapon system lighter weight with less recoil?
Plus, at least on the army side, lots of bad words spoken about the M110
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Question for the guys recommending KAC, do you really feel the extra $2500 - $3000 additional to the cost of other models mentioned, Armalite / Larue is worth it?  Are thet THAT good?

Its lighter, has less recoil, ambi controls, supposed to be able go 5000 suppressed without cleaning, a bunch of other nice stuff. I thought it was worth it.

Check out the length of the gas system on the SR25 EMC.

Lots of army things are weird and un-understandable to me, so I cant comment on that.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
so after building my 5.56 AR, and then building an AK, i want to set my sights on a .308.

after looking at all the options, im going crazy.
here is what ive narrowed it (HA!) down to.

LMT .308 MWS
KAC SR-25 EMC
Noveske N6 (16 or 18")
GAP AR-10
GAP Gladius (not sure if want to go bolt route or not, but damn its a sexy rifle)
Larue Stealth OBR (probably 16")

i want to be able to run and gun with it (minus the Gladius if i decide on that), so i will be going collapsible stock, probably 16". but i also want to do some prone precision shooting.  

any thoughts/advice/flaming (this is GD after all), are welcome.

KAC is nothing but problems for the .mil.... the triggers are an instant change-out now to Geisselle due to the KAC triggers biting the dust rather quickly. The Brits learned from our issues with KAC and went with LMT. The term I heard was "Fragile / Delicate" to describe the KAC, but to be fair grunts tend to excessively hard on stuff as general rule.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out the length of the gas system on the SR25 EMC.

Lots of army things are weird and un-understandable to me, so I cant comment on that.

Retardation of bolt unlocking due to the back pressure caused by the can.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:04:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
AR 10's are very good rifles.
Agree, I have two. I have a 20 inch AR-10 with DD rail, two stage trigger, and a nice scope and PRS stock, that will shoot close enough to those expensive rifles that most shooters couldn't see a difference. I have about 2 grand in it.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Since you asked:

- .308 rifles are heavier than you think.  They start around 9.5 - 10 pounds, empty.  Would you like to load it, like with ammunition?  One loaded 20-round mag weighs around 1.5 pounds.  Want an optic?  A sling?  A light?  If you intend to "run and gun," look for the lightest weight.  For example, thin barrel vs. heavy target barrel.  Otherwise, you won't run very far or very fast.

- Long barrels (20" - 22") are awkward in buildings, vehicles, close brush.  But 16" barrels have tremendous flash and noise –– very unpleasant.  IMO, 18" is the best length for a .308 barrel.  Smith Vortex is the best flash suppressor I have tried, but I have not tried them all.

- Collapsible stock is good, for easier transport.  Folding stock, like the FAL Paratrooper variant, is even better.

Tsk, tsk....not this one:

It is a heavy sucker though....fully loaded without the suppressor its just shy of 14 lbs.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:28:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Saiga
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:30:59 PM EDT
[#8]
An 18" LaRue OBR would be my first choice.  Second choice would be a Noveske N6 18" complete rifle.  I'm not a real big fan of the Vltor stock or the SWS rail on the Noveske, but I wouldn't change them out. If I were building one I'd use a shorter and lighter rail, and probably a Magpul UBR or maybe an A1 stock.  I think it might be a little front-heavy in its standard configuration.  My "long range starter kit" was a Savage 10PC bolt gun in .308.  I'm very happy with it, especially for the $700 I paid for it.  I still want a .308 semi-auto though.  I'm debating whether to buy the OBR or build a rifle up from parts.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#9]
FAL or fail.
- BG
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
FAL or fail.

- BG

I have a DSA.
It isn't all that.
Its a good gun, but the AR systems are better IMHO.
Plus the accuracy is horrible.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:07:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Thats funny, my DSA is dead nuts on, fast and accurate, be it a bit heavy, I really just think it needs a LOP reduction by about 1.5"...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:10:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Poll = FAIL.

Needs Armalite AR-10 option.

Given the two choices the OP must be only considering an option that uses the Stoner SR-25 type of magazines.   I wish the current Armalite AR-10 gave us the option to use SR-25 magazines.  Armalite's decision to continue with modified M14 magazines has kept many of us on the fence or looking at LMT, DPMS, etc,...   Don't misunderstand me.  I think that Armalite makes some of the best Stoner .308 rifles and offers the best options of any maker out there, but like many others we want to use the original AR-10/SR-25 type magazines especially as more and more makers are manufacturing the SR-25 magazine.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:39:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:10:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Get a FAL and prosper

Unless you like to reload

I've had two FAL's and both of them shot like lasers but fucked up every piece of brass that ever went through them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:20:16 AM EDT
[#15]
AR platform is not really the best for a decent .308

Get a tried-and-true battle rifle if you want a 762x51.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:02:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't have the cash, but I am pondering saving for a year or two to get into 7.62 as well.

Of all the advice, the trigger issues with the M110/Knights are very real per TACOM-RI.

Reliability

Accuracy

Weight

Modularity

These would be my criteria, and the common-receiver SCAR is front runner for 3 out of 4, and the only one with small/medium caliber conversion potentially on the horizon.

Per reviews, SCAR seems to have abnormally soft recoil compared to its peers in 7.62 as well.

Reliability seems satisfactory through testing and with current military end users, thus far.

Accuracy I can't speak of, but I'm willing to bet the SCAR is less accurate than a LaRue or other comparable 7.62 AR's.

Time will tell but the platform seems to be doing everything one could want, aside from the goofy stock and (to some) short fore end.

I think the Kel-Tec RFB is a stellar concept, and if they had spliced in a variant of the AUG barrel changing capability it would be my preference, especially with smaller caliber conversion.

Since it doesn't, I say SCAR in 7.62.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:42:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Not alot of positive experiences with .308 AR's.Ergonomically and accuracy wise they were superb but reliability was lacking ,in some cases extremely so.Went on Lightfighter and asked about .308 AR's in general and the KAC in particular.The consensus was the same,lack of reliability.Now,I love my M14s,I have several in various configurations and they are all superbly accurate and stone reliable,but I still yearn for an .AR in .308.The LWRC REPR had me seriously chomping at the bit when it was first announced ( believe it was initially called SABR).Gas piston system,left side charging handle and right side bolt release.The mag problems they had pretty much killed it for me but this thread led me to look them up again.It appears the mag issues have been solved.I'll still wait and check reviews on newer rifles to make sure their good to go.Abit pricey but what the hell.I have a National Match M1a  that I rarely shoot that I can sell,i'll still have 3 others including a Warbird built chrome-lined Scout in case the REPR isn't up to par and the fucking zombies/red chinese/hippies/illegals/tweakers/Canadians get froggy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:44:28 AM EDT
[#18]
LMT bought by the British Army and designed to shoot unlinked 7.62mm to a high accuracy and not fed high end uber ammo
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:45:54 AM EDT
[#19]
look at fulton armory UPR AR10 ,  price is good and mine makes the bolt gun guys give me dirty looks. FWIW  , the range master at my range in Virginia Beach said there was a demo scar 17 at the range a few weeks ago and he said it was too light and didn't feel good and was not very accurate with match ammo but again I WAS NOT THERE SO IT MAY BE BS.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:47:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
ummmm.... FAL  ftw?

FAL is always the answer.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 10:09:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:53:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm in the same boat, but I'm debating over a HK91 clone (PTR-91) or a FAL.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:59:20 PM EDT
[#24]
i think right now the LMT is winning it for me. im still thinking of the GAP, but the wait time is killing it for me...then again, im going to germany for 3 years soon, so i wont be getting the rifle till i get back...then again, there might be a better choice by then so this thread was kind of pointless

but i really appreciate everyone's input!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#25]
also TimJ, great avatar, 9th company was an awesome movie
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top