Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Why don't the Japs round up some whales and farm them like we do with tuna and salmon? Then they could have guaranteed siting whale watching tours as well as save fuel when they needed to 'research' one.  That should make everyone happy.  

If the moratorium was on endangered whales then I would support it, but not for the 'feel good' BS that the hippie crowd pushes.  

The Sea Shepard hippies are against farming too. When it's not whaling season they go after tuna fishermen and tuna farms. Those peoples lives revolve around protesting, if we did everything they wanted they would still continue to manufacture out rage because they would be lost without something to focus their hate onto.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:08:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Sea Shepherds are a bunch of idiots.  I don't think commercial whaling should be allowed, but I believe in harvesting of whales by individual fishermen.  I want to see the data that populations are sustainable, not some global warming pissing in the wind data.  I don't like the Japanese, they are arrogant and I'm still pissed about Pearl Harbor.  Sneaky Snakes.  I think using the excuse that there intelligent, is lame.  Look at all of the other animals that we kill, hell we kill humans everyday.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Personaly...not a fan of radical/liberal conservation groups...such as Greenpeace or the Sea Shepards.

But I do watch Whale Wars....and really don't like the Japanese that much...historicaly known for breaking treatys...arrogant/self centered nation that it is. They be 'researching' all right....'researching' to see how many whales they can catch to circumvent international treatys!.....That...and for some odd reason I find the 'Whale Wars' show entertaining...and must have rubbed off some radical conservationist kool aid from the propaganda they spew.

Shit!  Best 'reality show' on the tube...This shit being real-real...and such horse-shit as 'Pawn Stars'...'American Pickers'...'Ice Road Muther fuckers...er ah Truckers', etc just don't work for me....But I do like 'Deadliest Catch'...but not the other fishing shows.....maybe it's the ships and the sea.....maybe I'm just not interested in pawn shops, rummage sale junk dealers...and truckers....loggers....who knows...  

Anyhow...I watch the show...see the Sea Shepard Society's point(at least towards whales). Probably would shoot them if the society started jacking with my Tuna..and I was a tuna fisherman. I do think they are a bunch of liberal idiots. But it does seem to me that the Sea Shepard Society are doing what the rest of the international community should be doing. I have no problems with native tribes doing a bit of whaling as they've historicaly done...but if the US cannot go a whaling by treaty....why should the Japanese be able to blatantly violate the same treaty?

Just what do the rest of the obviously intellegent...high minded...AR shootin'...liberal hatin'...Toyota truck luvin'...Greenpeace despising..arfcommers think of whaling in general...and Japanese whaling in particular

You do know when the SS isn't messing with the Japanese they're messing with tuna fishermen.

Who are legally catching fish during a regulated season......

So are the Japs.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:11:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Sea Shepherd crew is a bunch of morons.  
That said, I am opposed to whaling.  Whales are very intelligent animals, and while we can't know for sure just how intelligent they are, I think we should err on the sdie of caution and not allow commercial hunting of them, even if we label it "research."

Tests show that pigs are smarter in some ways than dogs.  Should we not eat them?

Yeah but pigs are made of bacon, and we need that to survive.

If anyone messes with my bacon you better believe I'm going to research the shit out of it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:12:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So natives should be able to but no one else?  What a typical racist liberal you are.

If you refer to me...no. I ain't your 'typical racist liberal'....I just watch Whale wars...and don't particularly care for hunting species to extinction. Hunting critters to destruction just puts ammunition in the liberal conservationist eco-terrorist's hands.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I actually have sympathy for the Japanese, even if I do not really like the way they are going about "protesting" the situation.  

Whaling SHOULD be allowed, and the Japanese and other countries are being screwed by the continued moratorium.

The original purpose of the moratorium on whaling was to allow whale stocks to rebound/recover enough to allow limited commercial whaling to resume - but once many whale populations HAD recovered enough, the Commission admitted that they don't really have ANY intention of actually allowing commercial whaling again.

So the entire premise of the agreement that lead to the moratorium was a lie.  
Then they should leave the convention and just whale.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:16:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I like the current situation because it leads to lulz between the hippies and the whalers.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If they are so against whaling why don't they go after the Inuit that do it here?

They have guns here.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Personaly...not a fan of radical/liberal conservation groups...such as Greenpeace or the Sea Shepards.

But I do watch Whale Wars....and really don't like the Japanese that much...historicaly known for breaking treatys...arrogant/self centered nation that it is. They be 'researching' all right....'researching' to see how many whales they can catch to circumvent international treatys!.....That...and for some odd reason I find the 'Whale Wars' show entertaining...and must have rubbed off some radical conservationist kool aid from the propaganda they spew.

Shit!  Best 'reality show' on the tube...This shit being real-real...and such horse-shit as 'Pawn Stars'...'American Pickers'...'Ice Road Muther fuckers...er ah Truckers', etc just don't work for me....But I do like 'Deadliest Catch'...but not the other fishing shows.....maybe it's the ships and the sea.....maybe I'm just not interested in pawn shops, rummage sale junk dealers...and truckers....loggers....who knows...  

Anyhow...I watch the show...see the Sea Shepard Society's point(at least towards whales). Probably would shoot them if the society started jacking with my Tuna..and I was a tuna fisherman. I do think they are a bunch of liberal idiots. But it does seem to me that the Sea Shepard Society are doing what the rest of the international community should be doing. I have no problems with native tribes doing a bit of whaling as they've historicaly done...but if the US cannot go a whaling by treaty....why should the Japanese be able to blatantly violate the same treaty?

Just what do the rest of the obviously intellegent...high minded...AR shootin'...liberal hatin'...Toyota truck luvin'...Greenpeace despising..arfcommers think of whaling in general...and Japanese whaling in particular

You do know when the SS isn't messing with the Japanese they're messing with tuna fishermen.

Yes..I know...it's in my OP what I would do if I was aTuna fisherman...but I ain't...I'm a diesel mechanic..who's never eaten whale..and hates tuna.  I qualify as a 'hypocrit' to most folks probably.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:18:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Like any other conservation/hunting thing, if the population is down, restrict all killing be it for food or research until the population reaches a sustainable level again. Simple.

I hate the Sea Shepherd fucktards just because they are stupid hippies.

Already there with minke whales.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I hope the japanese harpoon and "process" that fat snaggletooth fuck that steers the Sea Shepherd Failboat.

No this would be some serious 'reality TV' I would just eat up!!

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:19:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Sea Sheep are a bunch of terrorists and I can't wait for their ships to be sunk and them to be hung from the yard arm.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#13]
FWIW, the Japanese take about 1,000 minke whales annually. The Pacific stocks of minke whales number up to 750,000.

Sea Shepherd is a bunch of criminals.  The only reason no one gives them shit is because they form partnerships with certain governments, either officially or unofficially.  Anyone who thinks they don't get help from certain governments who don't like the Japanese is kidding themselves.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The Japanese like eating whales, sort of like I like eating bacon and ribeyes.

If a bunch of India radical pirates came out here and started cutting fences in Texas and letting the cattle free would you be supporting them? Are whales more special in your eyes than a pig, cow, or chicken - and if so, please please please, oh please explain why?

We fish lobsters, crab, and all sorts of fish from the sea so why not the whales - they are not hunting endangered whales so don't let that mistake snare you.

Paul Watson is a pirate endangering HUMAN lives and will end up killing people on his crew of pirates or the Japanese whalers and will be brought to trial and found guilty. If he did any of the sort of shit he preforms daily in US waters he would be arrested and convicted in a heart beat.
Which is why he doesn't fly a US flag or go to US waters.   Too bad the Netherlands isn't willing to do shit about it.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:26:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So natives should be able to but no one else?  What a typical racist liberal you are.

If you refer to me...no. I ain't your 'typical racist liberal'....I just watch Whale wars...and don't particularly care for hunting species to extinction. Hunting critters to destruction just puts ammunition in the liberal conservationist eco-terrorist's hands.

The Japs follow all guidelines and quota's set by the international community. How is that "hunting them to extinction"?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:32:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I know it's wrong for me to feel this way but, I want to pull the trigger on that harpoon cannon so f'ing bad. I would love to book a hunt with those guys I would even pay big bucks and let the japs have the meat. I would get the head and fluke done for my game room. Somehow I think it would make me feel better about the size of my penis.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why don't the Japs round up some whales and farm them like we do with tuna and salmon? Then they could have guaranteed siting whale watching tours as well as save fuel when they needed to 'research' one.  That should make everyone happy.  

If the moratorium was on endangered whales then I would support it, but not for the 'feel good' BS that the hippie crowd pushes.  

The Sea Shepard hippies are against farming too. When it's not whaling season they go after tuna fishermen and tuna farms. Those peoples lives revolve around protesting, if we did everything they wanted they would still continue to manufacture out rage because they would be lost without something to focus their hate onto we would be sterilized vegetarians waiting to die out and leave the earth to the peaceful animals.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:33:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who are legally catching fish during a regulated season......

So are the Japs.
Point, set, MATCH.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sea Sheep are a bunch of terrorists and I can't wait for their ships to be sunk and them to be hung from the yard arm.

This I tend to agree with...despite my like of the show(another sign of my hipocrisy I guess).

What would just make this a really good series...if the Swedes or some-such liberal ass country would donate some guided missile frigates to the Sea Shepards....then we get some 'reality TV naval warfare' !!!!

I'm tired of just pissing water over the side..and tossing stink bombs at each other. I want to see some kamakaze warfare...I want to see the 'Bob Barker' impaled up to the bridge in the side of one of these 'Maru's"...the whole shiteree ablaze...and flaming liberals jumping over the side....if every other series on TV is going to be a reality show...I want some real action....like an exocet into the side of a factory ship....shit like that

Just kidding...but I would watch.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#20]
I think limited whaling should be allowed.

Whales are animals.

As with all animals, as long as the species is not endangered, their populations can and should be used by humans.

The amount taken per year, and species restrictions should be strictly enforced.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:42:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I used to not care about. But then I ate a bunch of smoked whale in Norway and it was so delicious, I now fully support it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:44:33 AM EDT
[#22]
I think the Japanese should have at least one of those water cannons hooked up to a vat of putrefying whale guts.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#23]
I told my wife if I won the lottery, I'd buy a ship and hire a crew to follow and harass the sea sheep while they harass the japs.

LOL.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they are so against whaling why don't they go after the Inuit that do it here?

Probably because the Inuit actually need the whale meat to live, while the Japanese want to use whale parts in some magic effort to make their dicks bigger.

Let's say I go with this,

What about the Russian's who cook the books on their whaling quota?

I would be against any commercial harvesting of whales, no matter who's doing it.

Wasn't my question, my question was why aren't they attacking the Russian whaling fleet?

Probably because the Russians would shoot them.

There you go, they only go against people that wont shoot at them or make them look bad in the press.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:56:05 AM EDT
[#25]

My thoughts on whaling? It tastes like beefy tuna. I was in reykavik and there was a little restaurant that offered minke whale. It's on the left in the picture.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:00:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought this was going to be about cruising for fat chicks.

A sapper would think that.........

The only way to truly prevent extinction is to make the animial worth more here than extinct.  Whales eat HUGE amounts of seafood, not just krill but bait fish too.  the touriat industry is not enough incentive to warrant full protection of a species requiring these resources.  

Whales should be culled esecially some of the more populous species, dolphins should absolutley be culled they are thick as hell right now. I do not endorse the waste of these creatures they should be harvested in a controled commercial enviroment.
If you want to save a species farm them.  Cows will never go extinct unless we do.

R U serial? Whales did fine as did the balance of the ocean before man started wiping out entire species. as did their food, i dont know where you are getting this crap that they eat "bait fish" most whales are baleen and eat noting but krill and plankton and the ones that eat larger animals usually eat deep sea squids. the other point being that whales are still apex predators and have no natural enemies and becuase of that plus their size they are extremely small in number to begin with. Their gestation periods are very long usually two years. we almost wiped out the right whale in the 19th century and then the sperm in the 20th and 200 to 70 years later their numbers have still not recovered because of their slow breeding habits. I have no problem eating animals that we can "husband" such as tuna or salmon simply because we can release literally millions of them into the ocean to harvest later. I have no problem managing deer because we eliminated their natural predator the wolf and now deer are more dangerous to man than wolves ever were due to their numbers. (car accidents and lime disease).
But large apex predator or herbivores who have a long gestation who are usually not on peoples menus such as whales and elephants, yeah i have a problem with hunting them.
Oh and PS you can't "farm" large whales.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:29:27 AM EDT
[#27]
As for whale farming...the logistical considerations are staggering.      It's far easier to hunt them.

CJ

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:19:05 AM EDT
[#29]
I tried to make heads or tails of the international  whaling treaties online...and it's hopeless. Does look like the Japanese are largely obeying the rules...but so much propaganda and double speak involved from multiple countrys...both for and against the issue..it's hard to tell whats part of the rules...and what's bullshit.

Would almost appear to me...the Sea Shepard group is racially alighned against the Japanese!   They be racist liberals!...probably 'cause they don't want to tangle with the Icelanders...Canadian Inuits, or the Norweigians.

Would appear to me...the Norweigians are whaling...or want to take whales at about the same rate the Japanese are whaling. So....begins to make the Japanese appear victims of eco-terrorism...and the Sea Shepard Society = chicken-shits for not trying to hammer the other countrys.

And the Dutch...just what the hell...letting the flag of the Netherlands fly on a vessel that openly flys the 'skull and crossbones' of a pirate...just WTF
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
As for whale farming...the logistical considerations are staggering.      It's far easier to hunt them.

CJ

It's plenty sustainable too.  All of this "OMG THEY'RE HUNTING THE WHALES TO EXTINCTION!" bullshit is just that.

And I can't believe some people here are falling for the 'magestic intelligent' creature argument.  It's not a person.  It's just an animal, and apparently a tasty one.

We're animals as well, last time I checked.  Don't know how tasty we are, nor do I know how intelligent we are, as a whole...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I hope the japanese harpoon and "process" that fat snaggletooth fuck that steers the Sea Shepherd Failboat.

You and me both

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#32]
I am starting to think over fishing is a bigger problem.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:59:57 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I told my wife if I won the lottery, I'd buy a ship and hire a crew to follow and harass the sea sheep while they harass the japs.

LOL.

Damn, I told my Wife the same thing but I went beyond harrassment of the Sea tards

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:06:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL.

Damn, I told my Wife the same thing but I went beyond harrassment of the Sea tards

Well, there's also self defense, for when they inevitably cross the line into piracy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Overfishing of what?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:15:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Overfishing of what?

I wish the marlin years of the 50's 60's and 70's when the ocean was abundant with marlin over 1000 poinds (granders) were still around. those days are long gone
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:24:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That said, I am opposed to whaling.  Whales are very intelligent animals, and while we can't know for sure just how intelligent they are, I think we should err on the sdie of caution and not allow commercial hunting of them, even if we label it "research."

So we limit animal harvesting based on the animals presumed 'intelligence.'  Got it.  

When we get to a level that's that close to human, yeah, I say we do.  I don't think we should hunt the great apes either.

Never seen a whale with any type of tool.  You're anthropomorphizing an animal because you THINK it might be intelligent.  Your perceptions have nothing to do with reality and you probably throw birthday parties for your cats.

Whale populations are healthy enough to allow limited commercial fishing and the loophole is "research".  Whether or not you like it, the Japanese are allowed BY LAW to take a certain number to do with as they please.  Whales aren't going to go extinct because of the Japanese, the Russians, or any European whaling nation.  Everyone's outrage is based on the idea that these creatures are intelligent enough that we should somehow sympathize with them.  The idea cannot be proven, has no bearing on how we should utilize them, and is a fantasy made up by little girls who believe in unicorns.  

You can't have it both ways.  Either we are the same as animals, making whales fair game, or we are somehow removed from the animal kingdom and are the "stewards of this wondrous mother-earth-being-child-father-cousin-hippie retarded horseshit".
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So we limit animal harvesting based on the animals presumed 'intelligence.'  Got it.  

When we get to a level that's that close to human, yeah, I say we do.  I don't think we should hunt the great apes either.

Never seen a whale with any type of tool.  You're anthropomorphizing an animal because you THINK it might be intelligent.  Your perceptions have nothing to do with reality and you probably throw birthday parties for your cats.

Whale populations are healthy enough to allow limited commercial fishing and the loophole is "research".  Whether or not you like it, the Japanese are allowed BY LAW to take a certain number to do with as they please.  Whales aren't going to go extinct because of the Japanese, the Russians, or any European whaling nation.  Everyone's outrage is based on the idea that these creatures are intelligent enough that we should somehow sympathize with them.  The idea cannot be proven, has no bearing on how we should utilize them, and is a fantasy made up by little girls who believe in unicorns.  

You can't have it both ways.  Either we are the same as animals, making whales fair game, or we are somehow removed from the animal kingdom and are the "stewards of this wondrous mother-earth-being-child-father-cousin-hippie retarded horseshit".

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm waiting for them and others to pull out of the treaty all together.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Every instance of commercial whaling in history has resulted in the extinction or near extinction of whatever species of whale was being hunted. Whale hunting used to be common around the coast of Japan, till they over hunted the area a hundred years ago and now have to go further and further south. Given the opportunity that sort of thing will be repeated. There is zero reason to believe that the Japanese, or any other whaling nation, would manage a commercial hunt in anything like a sustainable manner because no one ever has. They're just to easy to harvest, and the demand is so high.

The status quo is the only real solution. Japan will stick to the research hunting because it brings in enough money to be sustainable, saves face and they sill have access to fisheries in US waters. Unrestricted hunting would be much, much worse if you're worried about whale stocks.

The sea shepards should just leave well enough alone.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably because the Inuit actually need the whale meat to live, while the Japanese want to use whale parts in some magic effort to make their dicks bigger.

The Eskimos don't need it any more than the Japanese do.  They do it because it's part of their culture, just like the Japanese.

They have plenty of legal food sources, as well as handouts from the US and Canadian governments.

DK Prof already posted the correct answer.

I keep hoping and waiting for these sea Shepard moonbats to sink themselves through their utter stupidity.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Jap's at least get it labeled "research"
I think they buy all the votes they need to keep it up

Whale fans should go after the people who MAKE the policy
Not those they do what they have been told to do

Kind of like the people who put nails in trees so they can't be cut down safely
People who make the plans never feel it
Poor guy who looses his arm or life........
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm waiting for them and others to pull out of the treaty all together.

They won't. The US would cut off access to Alaskan fisheries worth a hell of a lot more to the Japanese then whale meat. I don't know if other whaling nations are staying in line for similar reasons, but it's likely.

Whaling at it's current level is a cultural 'fuck you' to non-whaling nations, and not much else.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm not exactly sure why it's perfectly OK to hunt and farm land mammals but not marine mammals.

And if we're going to argue intelligence, isn't "bush meat" pretty damn common in Africa?

I'd like to try a nice whale steak, bet they're tasty.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:20:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This, there is no need to whale any longer and the perfume industry can survive without ambergris...

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sea Shepherds are a bunch of idiots.  I don't think commercial whaling should be allowed, but I believe in harvesting of whales by individual fishermen.  I want to see the data that populations are sustainable, not some global warming pissing in the wind data.  I don't like the Japanese, they are arrogant and I'm still pissed about Pearl Harbor.  Sneaky Snakes.  I think using the excuse that there intelligent, is lame.  Look at all of the other animals that we kill, hell we kill humans everyday.

The Japanese have been a loyal and honest ally ever since their surrender in 1945. I think you are being unfair to them, especially given the brainwashing they were subjected to by their ruling class before and during WWII.

The facts are they are complying with agreements that were dishonestly negotiated to their detriment. They are not killing endangered animals.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:21:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's amazing how someone so confident in their position can't debate it without personally attacking me.
I am not anthropomorphizing anything.  Perhaps you should look the word up as it doesn't mean what you think it means.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I like the current situation because it leads to lulz between the hippies and the whalers.  

Hippy sheds a tear
Red blood flowing to the sea
My heart is at peace
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure that would have been funny, if I were 12 years old and still stupid enough to find juvenile shit like that funny.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought this was going to be about cruising for fat chicks.

A sapper would think that.........

The only way to truly prevent extinction is to make the animial worth more here than extinct.  Whales eat HUGE amounts of seafood, not just krill but bait fish too.  the touriat industry is not enough incentive to warrant full protection of a species requiring these resources.  

Whales should be culled esecially some of the more populous species, dolphins should absolutley be culled they are thick as hell right now. I do not endorse the waste of these creatures they should be harvested in a controled commercial enviroment.
If you want to save a species farm them.  Cows will never go extinct unless we do.

R U serial? Whales did fine as did the balance of the ocean before man started wiping out entire species. as did their food, i dont know where you are getting this crap that they eat "bait fish" most whales are baleen and eat noting but krill and plankton and the ones that eat larger animals usually eat deep sea squids. the other point being that whales are still apex predators and have no natural enemies and becuase of that plus their size they are extremely small in number to begin with. Their gestation periods are very long usually two years. we almost wiped out the right whale in the 19th century and then the sperm in the 20th and 200 to 70 years later their numbers have still not recovered because of their slow breeding habits. I have no problem eating animals that we can "husband" such as tuna or salmon simply because we can release literally millions of them into the ocean to harvest later. I have no problem managing deer because we eliminated their natural predator the wolf and now deer are more dangerous to man than wolves ever were due to their numbers. (car accidents and lime disease).
But large apex predator or herbivores who have a long gestation who are usually not on peoples menus such as whales and elephants, yeah i have a problem with hunting them.
Oh and PS you can't "farm" large whales.

No one is advocating the harvesting of Right Whales or Sperm Whales.  Are you intentionally trying to use the old liberal bait and switch technique here?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top