Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:29:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Up here Lowes and HD are right across the street from each other.

Both are busy, Lowes a bit brighter in terms of lighting, but both are clean.  

One of the differences I've noted is that at Lowes, good luck trying to find an employee when you have a question.  At HD you can usually find an employee but when you ask a question you'll be lucky to have the person know the answer.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:33:03 AM EDT
[#2]
FYI- Menards sells CRAP.  Everything in the store is the cheapest mfgr they can find.  There is ZERO quality in the stuff they sell.  Their wood sucks ass too.  good luck finding a straight piece of lumber- and their "treated" lumber...I swear they store it in a swimming pool before putting it out on the floor.  fucking 8 foot 4x4 weighs about 300 lbs, and when it finally dries, you could make a bow out of it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:41:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I prefer Lowes to fail .  That way all the unhelpful, unfriendly people who work there have more time to text and bs with their friends.  They have become as worthless as Best Buy.  It's too bad I can't buy lumber online.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:42:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Co Worker just put in an inground pool.  He got financing.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:43:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Home Depot story.

I had remodeled a kitchen in a previous home and ordered custom formica countertops. No big deal. I order it, pay for it, and it arrives a couple weeks later.

I go to another Home Depot in a different state and I want to remodel the kitchen. So, I talk to this woman and tell her I want to order custom formica countertops. She starts giving me this spiel about buying the pre-cut countertops and then I can cut them to size. I tell her I would rather order custom countertops and then she continues trying to sell me on buying the pre-cut countertops and the money I would save. I just left after that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:43:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Home Depot hasn't been a well run company since it was taken over from the founders years ago. Stores are dead, filthy, employees all hanging out in fron of the store smoking cigarettes. Ignorant employees who haven't sent 5 minutes learning anything about the building trades, etc.

Home Depots around here are nothing like that, parking lot is always full, store is clean, employees are knowledgeable and friendly.

The Home depot in Vermont (WIlliston) is a million times better then the local Lowes. Every other Home depot store I go to sucks, I am a huge Lowes fan but will not go near the Lowes in South Burlington.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:47:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Our Lowes is great, and HD sucks. Almost every time I go to HD I have to dodge the water treatment salespeople disguised as salespeople. How would you like to ask someone where to find something, only to ask you how your water tasted? WTF? For lumber, I go to a little lumber yard in the middle of nowhere, a few miles from my house. The owner and his staff are very professional, they deliver to my door for $10, and I have never received a bad board or post from them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:53:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Neither store sells 11/16" hs drill bits.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:56:56 AM EDT
[#9]
The husband and wife owners of our small town hardware store saw the handwriting on the wall and sold out.  Now they wear the orange aprons at HD.  Whenever I pop in there, they take care of me just like back in their old store.  Can't beat that kind of service.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Home Depot hasn't been a well run company since it was taken over from the founders years ago. Stores are dead, filthy, employees all hanging out in fron of the store smoking cigarettes. Ignorant employees who haven't sent 5 minutes learning anything about the building trades, etc.

Home Depots around here are nothing like that, parking lot is always full, store is clean, employees are knowledgeable and friendly.

same in MD, minus the smart and friendly kick
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:00:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

same here in CA. HD is way more popular than lowes here.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:01:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:01:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:02:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I wish I had a real lumber yard nearby. It's a crap shoot between Lowes & HD on who has the shittiest lumber for the worst price. I've noticed a change in attitude in the HD employees, lately they have actually become helpful. Where as Lowes employees have become professional hide-n-seekers. One thing pissed me off about HD last week though. I was going to spend about $500.00 on tools and asked for a 10% discount. Manager said they can't do that anymore unless I got a HD credit card. Nope, I'm paying cash. No deal. I said okay, told him thank you, I going to Lowes and use their 10% discount.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:03:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Around here, the HDs are all very disorganized and dirty, and the few times I've gone in there the employees seem nasty.  I think they have low morale.

The Lowe's on the other hand are well organized and clean, and most of the employees are helpful and courteous.  I take my dollars to Lowe's when I need something.

Based on local market conditions here, I would agree with the OP's assessment, but of course the conditions in one local market do not necessarily reflect the national scene.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:04:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
FYI- Menards sells CRAP.  Everything in the store is the cheapest mfgr they can find.  There is ZERO quality in the stuff they sell.  Their wood sucks ass too.  good luck finding a straight piece of lumber- and their "treated" lumber...I swear they store it in a swimming pool before putting it out on the floor.  fucking 8 foot 4x4 weighs about 300 lbs, and when it finally dries, you could make a bow out of it.

Exactly. I bought an 8' 4" x 4" treated to build a base to put my gun safe on. By the time it dried out it was so bowed I could not use it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:05:11 AM EDT
[#17]
We have a Lowes and Menards side by side each other.  I only go to Lowes if Menards doesn't carry/have what I'm looking for.  Menards staff is plentiful, helpful, knowledgeable and prices are better.  Also I think it is corporate policy to hire hot women from multiple experiences in the two stores I frequent.  

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We have had different home improvement store come and go over the years in this area Builder's Square, Plywood Minnesota. Now it's Lowes and Home Depot, the have all been larger and better financed than Menard's. But Menard's still stands strong.

I get 95% of what I need from Menard's, better products and great staff.

Don't forget about Knox.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:07:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

this.

Same here.  The HD closest to me is a "tier 2" store or something like that.  Meaning that their sales aren't as high as some stores, so they have a slightly smaller selection of everything.  But the employees are nice, customers are always there, and it's a decent place to shop.  The nearest "tier 1" store is only 20 minutes away but is also nice.

The nearest lowes is full of hoodlum employees, everyone there pretty much either doesn't know or just doesn't care.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:09:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I make it a point to go to Ace instead of HD and Lowes, if I have a question the hardware guy is older than me.  They don't carry as much as a big box store, but you avoid a lot of the hassles.

The HD shopping experience in the nearby stores reminds me of Kmart, Lowes is more like Target and always preferred between the two.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lowes FTW!

After visiting my first Lowes, I haven't been back to HD.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#22]
While I don't think HD is gonna go under, a consolidation might not be too far off.

There are 6 Home Depots within a 20 minute drive from me, almost as many as there are Wal Marts. The one closest to me is usually a ghost town, employees outnumber the customers.

Lowes seems to have driven the market a bit, since they came to town, Home Depot has shifted focus somewhat towards the DIY crowd and away from the professional.

Lowes is pretty much useless IMO, but worth a visit once and a while. They hate stale inventory and blow much of it out at a loss just to free up the shelf space. (Example: I got a 50 foot fiberglass fishtape for $20 there on closeout, they are usually $100+).

I remember Home Base for one reason, when they were going under I picked through the store on one of the last days it was open. Everything was 90% off and the hardware aisle was virtually untouched. Man, I cleaned that place out.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I don't care how knowledgeable the employees are about anything except the location of items.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:16:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My prediction, Home Depot will fold. Without the commercial sales that kept them going for years, they obviously do not have the marketing or management saavy to keepthem up and running throughout this economic storm unlike Menards and Lowes. I predict HD will fold in this area with Menards taking up the slack in the market share.

It's hard to keep a fleet of 50k sf box stores open selling flowers to fat housewives.
Unless there is a major turn-around in the construction world, which won't happen for years, HD is over.

Just my guess.

I rarely go to HD as Lowes is closer by 3 minutes.  I have issues with both stores having the aisles closed while they are restocking.  Hey, I need something in there.  Also hard sometimes to manuver a shopping cart with all the pallets of stock in the way and the temporary display of product. Put the shit away and keep the ailse clear.  I wonder if the 'tards that run these companies pay attention to the comments you guys are posting.  The wife never shops these places, goes to the ACE hardware nearby. Would rather support the local company than a big box.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:18:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I do most of my shopping at Home Depot.   Much better electrical section.

I find that their electrical section may suit the homeowner, it is nowhere near on a jobber/pro level.

I use a local supply house ( Friedman Elect.)  Both Lowes and HD markup on things like boxes and cut to lenght wire is absolutely insane.        I will usually use lowes for the CR15/CR20 recepticals,  I am not impresses with what Leviton is putting out lately,
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:19:32 AM EDT
[#26]
If you are displeased with the major home improvement stores, try checking out a local hardware/lumber store. My dad has used Fox Lumber in OKC for as long as I can remember. Smaller companies/individually owned are great for customer service.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:20:20 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Well it happened to Builders Square during the last economic slump.

I remember Builder's Square. Seems to me Home Depot replaced them around here.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:24:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here in SE Idaho.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If you are displeased with the major home improvement stores, try checking out a local hardware/lumber store. My dad has used Fox Lumber in OKC for as long as I can remember. Smaller companies/individually owned are great for customer service.

Very true.    Whipples lumber used to be down the road,  their CS and lumber quality was first rate.  

I have another local place prices are good,  especially doors and windows,  lumber is decent.  Down fall is I have to take time off of work to get there when they are open.  

Hardwood products,  (lumber, flooring, moulding) there is a sawmill about half hour away.    Their product is worth every penny.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Given a choice Lowes over HD.  Even for Saturday kids build and grow, Lowes is better.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:26:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remember "Builder's Square", RIP...

Wasn't there another one called "HQ" or something like that?

anyone remember HomeBase?
The world ended when HomeBase when under

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:27:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Home Depots I go to here used to suck.  Management must have been changed as the stores have some of the best service I have had.  Employees come up and ask if they can help as I walk through the stores, they go out of their way to find info.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:28:11 AM EDT
[#33]
The biggest joke of all as far as HD and Lowes is their "heating" section.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:29:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Both Lowes and Home Depots near me are always crowded.

Must be a regional thing.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:36:02 AM EDT
[#35]
pros don't shop at hd, lowes or menards!
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#36]
HD goin stong here.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:44:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My prediction, Home Depot will fold. Without the commercial sales that kept them going for years, they obviously do not have the marketing or management saavy to keepthem up and running throughout this economic storm unlike Menards and Lowes. I predict HD will fold in this area with Menards taking up the slack in the market share.

It's hard to keep a fleet of 50k sf box stores open selling flowers to fat housewives.

Unless there is a major turn-around in the construction world, which won't happen for years, HD is over.

Just my guess.

Most Construction Companies don't use Home Depot or Lowe's for the majority of their purchases. If they do they won't be in business long because Lowe's and HD's prices are ridiculous. Most GC's buy materials from other sources at better prices. In the 15 years I've been in construction we've always tried to limit our purchases from HD and Lowe's unless it was an emergency.

They get a lot of business from DIY homeowners. The number of people making their own home repairs and remodels in a bad economy increases. All of the HD's and Lowe's in my area in FL are always busy. Despite the crappy housing market and high unemployment.

I could see HD and Lowe's both using the economy as an opportunity to close lesser performing stores. Like HD did when they shed their Expo Stores. If the economy stays at the level it is now I don't see them folding. Now if it gets a lot worse then nobody will be safe. And that's a real possibility.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:48:29 AM EDT
[#38]
I don't shop at either much, but I've always preferred Home Depot. They have always carried more products that I've needed and wanted.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#39]
I tend to go to Lowes, but will be going to HD this afternoon.

One thing all these comments actually show?  It is the individual store managers who make all the difference, whichever chain he works for.  Some folks Lowes are surly, some folks HD is rude.  It's not the corporation that affects that, it is the leadership provided by the individual store manager and shift managers.

I will say, the day the HD near me opened their doors so I didn't have to go to Hechingers anymore was glorious.  They were unable to find and sell me a BBQ propane tank on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, back in the day of buying indivual empties.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:09:39 AM EDT
[#40]
I prefer HD over Lowes. It's damn near impossible to get help or a question answered at Lowes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:12:07 AM EDT
[#41]
The HD near me that I go to is as crowded as ever.  It is clean, many of the employees have been there for years and are knowledgable and it is generally a well run store.  The Lowes by me, on the other hand, is crap.  No employees are ever around and when they are they are usually 18 y/o girls that don't know shit.  The store is dark, the product displays are all trashed.  The store just generally sucks.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:12:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That describes both HD and Lowes here in OK. I just roll the dice when I have to get home supplies because both offer an equally suck-ass experience. The one redeeming quality about Lowe's is that their Kobalt tools are decent. I don't even recall what tool brand HD carries.

I've actually heard some decent things about the Kobalt tools but haven't had any in my hand yet.

Aren't they made in China? If I need to buy a tool I first look for made in the USA. Then I look for made in Tiawan. Then maybe Mexico. After that its a crap shoot. Most of the Channel Lock stuff seems to be USA some Cresant, Some Irwin.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:13:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Neither of the two are what they used to be.   I used to prefer The Home Depot, but that was over 10 years ago.  Now I'll go find what I want, and price match both stores and find whoever is cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

The Home depot in Vermont (WIlliston) is a million times better then the local Lowes. Every other Home depot store I go to sucks, I am a huge Lowes fan but will not go near the Lowes in South Burlington.    

Been ti the one in Williston. Its pretty nice. Right behind the Wally World on Rt2 ( I think )...Right?

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:20:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Remember Home Quarters?

They went out of business because their stores sucked.  Stock was scattered all over, too few employees, and their prices matched the new Lowe's that came to town.  They didn't last a year in this area after the first Lowe's opened.

We have a new Rural King store here - the place is full of customers, and the checkout line is busy.

I made out like a bandit when HQ went out. Bout tons of Romex wire & elec. boxes & such at a deep discount
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:27:49 AM EDT
[#46]
When we first bought our new home I was comparison shopping a lot of things between HD & Lowes...

Then the Arfcm thread on HD supporting kiddie booths at a homo events
Now Lowes gets all my money.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#47]
I was recently told by a friend that the person that started Lowe's was the ex-wife of the owner of Home Depot.  She divorced him and took the money she received from the divorce and started Lowe's.  Does anyone know if this is true or not?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#48]

I shop at both. One thing about Lowes that annoys me is that EVERY sign, sticker, placard, scribble, etc.  in the store is in Spanish.

We are in Ohio. There are very few legal citizens here who don't speak English.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:35:07 AM EDT
[#49]
It will not happen, if anyone would fold my bet would be on Lowes.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:36:38 AM EDT
[#50]
I hate menards and figured they would close before home despot.  Lowes, however, is where it's at.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top