BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:54:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Forgot:

If you don't have a fenced back yard, get used to the idea of walking the dog at LEAST twice a day.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have a short-legged female (my wife picked her out) and she is seven now. I also have a cat that we had before her and a Boston Terrier that is twice her size, she rules the house and takes no shit! She has no idea that she is only a 12lb dog and I have had her run head long barking with hackles up at a rottie and she was the size of its head. The only thing that freaks her out is little dogs, two gay guys walking a min-pin puppy and she was like WTF is that?

She is to smart for her own good sometimes and will find trouble if she's bored. If the boston has a toy she wants she will go get another one to distract him and when he goes for it she will go and get the one he had. One time my wife made some goofy noise that she didn't like and she came running over all in a huff. My wife thought it was funny so she made the noise again...the dog looked her square in the eye, squatted and pissed as if to say "See, look what you made me do and don't do it again!"

If you live in an apartment I would say don't do it, they need exercise and run time. We have invisible fence and it's a little easier to exercise them in the house because they are so small. They LOVE the laser pointer. I would also caution you living alone they will get bored and into trouble if left alone for to long. I think two is easier in that they entertain each other and wear each other out a bit but two jacks will conspire against you!

They are smart, fun and big dogs in little bodies but very willful and think everything is theirs. Every night I have to tell mine to get off my pillow when I go to bed and she gives me the obligatory grumble-growl as she does it. You hear lots of JRT horror stories so I guess mine isn't bad by Jack standards.

My advice...get a Boston Terrier instead. All the attitude of a terrier but willing to lay on the couch and relax when you want to.

Meh, I live in an apartment now, and Steve is fine.  He goes where I go, except work.  

JRT's are awesome dogs, they just need patient owners.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I got mine from the pound, I couldn't leave this little girl there.  She is a very smart and loyal dog.  As people have already said, they are high energy.  She runs, jumps, and plays all day then crashes in the evening.  The only problem I have with her is she hates other animals especially squirles. She will go after any dog that walks by.  She has started dog fights with much bigger dogs while I was walking her.   I keep her on the leash all the time, unfotrunately other people don't feel the need to do the same.  I would like to get another dog, but I think there will be a continuous fight between the two.  My yard is fenced in but I keep her on a rope so she doesn't tunnel out or slip through the gate if someone come in.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:07:45 PM EDT
[#4]
MY Grandmother had a Jack Russell terrier.  If you are a guy and setting down he would come up put both front paws on your knee, put his head on his paws and look really cute. So of course you would reach out and pet the cute dog on his head.   The little sucker had you then.  He would start pissing up and down your leg.  Of course you then kick the little sucker across the room, he would then stand there and growl at you.  When GrandMa heard his growl she would yell at you for kicking him across the room.  The key was not to pet him
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Have to throw this out there because I just found it again while going through pictures. Rhino trying to play with a BC and forgetting he was next to a wall.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m196/borg103/rhinowall.jpg

OMG!!!  Now that is a "herp! derp!" moment, right there!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#6]
We love ours. We wanted to find him a new home for the first two years we had him. Wedecided if we gave him to anyone else that they would kill. And I swear every time we had the talks about getting him a new home it seemed like he was listening because he behaved better after every one of those talks.

Ideas in our JRT book that few JRTs die of old age. Most die because their cat-like curiosity gets them into deadly situations or their owners kill their annoying asses.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:14:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just go ahead and throw away your rugs and nice furniture.

Again, bullshit...just get baby gates for when you're away.  Make sure it's the kind with metal inside, or they'll chew through it.

I've got two, not bullshit. My GSD NEVER ruined a thing in 13 years. These bastards ruin everything they come into contact with.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:30:29 AM EDT
[#8]
They CAN be good dogs if you are really patient and you train them correctly, but they have the potential to be balls of energy that zip randomly around your house and destroy your stuff.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:00:38 AM EDT
[#9]
We love ours.  He never chewed any furniture or rugs either.  Unfortunately he has arthritis in his back, started at age 5, and is on meds for it.  Friendliest dog ever.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:07:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I have one. Good smart little dog but they are yappy and shed like a mother. Every time I touch the dog hair goes flying. This is a year round problem. I won't get another, too much hair.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:23:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Get a Boston Terrier if you're going to go small.

Mine:

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:41:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Super Hyper, think Tasmanian devil on cappuccino.

We have a friend with a JRT sweetest dog in the world, does not consider herself a dog, she's a person in a fur coat. It s not typical JRT not hyper, probably because it was born with a defective hip and is really mild.

We even will dog sit her when our friend goes away on vacation. And my wife does not like dogs or cats or any other furry animal but she makes an exception for this dog.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:50:34 AM EDT
[#13]
JRT are awesome but really crazy little fuckers. I ended up getting a rat terrier, more mellow but still with plenty of wild in them

gus the rat terrier
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Our two morons!

They are getting old the male is 15 (black and white) and the female is 10.  However, they kept things out of the yard in their younger days!  I believe this was 2 years ago.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top