User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a NDE once or twice.

My wife asked me, "Does this (dress) make me look fat?"

I inadvertently said, "Yes."

I believe I saw the "white light" after that.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:00:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 This is going to end up like the dowsing thread, except there's even better documentation of the physical cause.

I guess I missed the dowsing thread.  Summary?

People think dowsing is real.  Science behind dowsing is questioned and shown to be bunk.  Randi Foundation and Arfcom prizes are presented as ways to make money from dowsing.  People still think dowsing is real because they think they did it.  Ideometer effect is explained ad nauseum.  People still think dowsing is real.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:01:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
 This is going to end up like the dowsing thread, except there's even better documentation of the physical cause.

People think dowsing is real.  Science behind dowsing is questioned and shown to be bunk.  Randi Foundation and Arfcom prizes are presented as ways to make money from dowsing.  People still think dowsing is real because they think they did it.  Ideometer effect is explained ad nauseum.  People still think dowsing is real.

Wow, I'm kind of surprised it went that way.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:03:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have them all the time. I'm dreaming that I can't breath. And just before I die I wake up. And thank god my wife is pulling the pillow off my face just in the nick of time. It seems I have a bad habit developed latley where I pull the pillow over my face when I sleep. I'm really glad my wife is kind enough to pull it off my face. I'm afraid if she's not there I may actually die.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have them all the time. I'm dreaming that I can't breath. And just before I die I wake up. And thank god my wife is pulling the pillow off my face just in the nick of time. It seems I have a bad habit developed latley where I pull the pillow over my face when I sleep. I'm really glad my wife is kind enough to pull it off my face. I'm afraid if she's not there I may actually die.

I do that all the time, sleep with a pillow covering my face...
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Oxygen deprivation.
You can have a near death experience, without nearly dying. I did it many times as a kid.

I am not going to outline the technique. I learned it when I was in like 5 or 6th grade. I am not going to go through it here because someone will try it and die.

You will get a feeling of euphoria, floating, see the bright lite, maybe even talk to your dead grandmother.

As I said, I did this about a dozen or so times in the 5 or 6th grade (forget where I learned it). I would not even THINK of trying it as an adult, but it does replicate the near death experience pretty well.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Superstitions, family legends and personal experiences are very difficult to explain away through words alone.  The human brain has a hard time not believing personal experiences weren't real.  If those experiences are backed up by a culture that has told you those experiences are real, it takes a lot of effort to disbelieve it.

Edit: I guess what I said also goes for NDE experiences.  Lucky me.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Superstitions, family legends and personal experiences are very difficult to explain away through words alone.  The human brain has a hard time not believing personal experiences weren't real.  If those experiences are backed up by a culture that has told you those experiences are real, it takes a lot of effort to disbelieve it.

there are also a bunch of atheists and skeptics here though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I couldn't possibly do it justice.

Hold please...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

there are also a bunch of atheists and skeptics here though.

Oh, the majority of people were laughing in the thread at a minority.  Most people on Arfcom do not appear to believe in dowsing. Sorry if I gave the wrong impression.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#11]
that reminds me, I need to re-up my subcription to Skeptic magazine

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

17 pages of magical thinking, refutation and denial...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I had to quit buying it, unemployment sucks...

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The reason it's so similar all over the world is that everybody's brain suffers the same effect similarly.

DMT is a helluva drug.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

What kind of topics do they cover and how do they cover them?  In short, is it worth reading?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

What kind of topics do they cover and how do they cover them?  In short, is it worth reading?

it's absolutely worth reading.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I 2nd that. Absolutely. The lead Skeptic gave a TED talk that was very good. Worth the watch.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I 2nd that. Absolutely. The lead Skeptic gave a TED talk that was very good. Worth the watch.

It's an awesome read and covers all sorts of topics. I may have an article or two I could send you for editorial review.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:38:37 PM EDT
[#19]
My mom had one at age 5. She cites it as the basis for her faith.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:42:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's an awesome read and covers all sorts of topics. I may have an article or two I could send you for editorial review.

Are we talking an online article or a physical piece of paper?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

PDF

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PDF

I'd love to see an article.  Thanks.
Edit: PM sent.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Relevant to my interests.

I had a heart attack while driving home, alone, from visiting a customer in June '05.  A volunteer fireman and a Michigan State Trooper kept it from being permanent.  No near death experience, although I believe in the afterlife.  It was as if I was passing out with just enough time to think it strange that the darkness closing in was a dirty brown/gray instead of the black I had experienced when passing out years before.  The next I knew (think a light switch turning me off, then on) was that I was looking up at a light and thinking "Shit.  That's a light in an ER.  I musta had a heart attack after all."

This is all to say that while I DO believe in NDEs, I did not experience it myself.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Oxygen deprivation.
You can have a near death experience, without nearly dying. I did it many times as a kid.
I am not going to outline the technique. I learned it when I was in like 5 or 6th grade. I am not going to go through it here because someone will try it and die.
You will get a feeling of euphoria, floating, see the bright lite, maybe even talk to your dead grandmother.
As I said, I did this about a dozen or so times in the 5 or 6th grade (forget where I learned it). I would not even THINK of trying it as an adult, but it does replicate the near death experience pretty well.

You were doing this in 5th grade??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erotic_asphyxiation

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

2 Nov '98   .......I had a VERY brief––-and casual––- "encounter" with Gabriel..........I was having a heart attack and "coded" in the ICU after being treated/monitored in the ER for several hours.I remember being suddenly nauseus and told my wife to grab a trash can because I was going to throw up...and then the alarms went off.A nurse rushed  in and started slapping me (just like the movies) She told me to "stay awake,don't you go anywhere..stay with us".....I remember a nurse rolling a big machine in the door and a 1/2 doxen other people coming in....I remember my wife being ushered out the door,crying. And then  I passed out

I don't know what the sequence of events was after this...I was defibrilated 3 times  INSTANTLY  I recognized that I was being shocked...somewhere in this period of time....I saw a young man,dressed in  a white suit,wearing a white hat.I remember DISTINCTLY our brief encounter......this young man said "My name is Gabriel and you're going to be OK"...........  I simply replied "Thanks,Gabe"  .................I woke up some hours later and was transported to a larger hospital with better cardiac facilities.

Believe whatever you want........ you weren't there,I was.

Simply awesome.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:22:51 PM EDT
[#26]
People that believe in God will not except the scientific explanation, and sceptics  will never believe in religion or the afterlife. I prefer to error on the side of caution
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Oxygen deprivation.

Is it the cross your arms over your chest while standing trick... it involves a buddy right? I think I remember that in 6th grade too.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:51:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oxygen deprivation.

Is it the cross your arms over your chest while standing trick... it involves a buddy right? I think I remember that in 6th grade too.

Ya, he's talking about "off the wall".

I did that when I was a kid; that's just oxygen deprivation...IDK if it would have the same effect, but who knows?

Speed

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 5:56:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

People that believe in God will not except the scientific explanation, and sceptics  will never believe in religion or the afterlife. I prefer to error on the side of caution

So you trust the medical community on physiological issues?

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't know what some of the posters in this thread are shooting for, but nobody seems to be arguing that NDE's are real save the few posters who've had them.

I really can't see the point in trying to prove/disprove an experience someone claims to have had
Showing physical causes of an NDE is interesting, but doesn't actually prove/disprove the spiritual experience people claimed to have had.
Let's Please NOT turn this into a "dowsing thread"; as there is no argument here,  save telling someone an experience they had didn't happen
Speed

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Showing physical causes of an NDE is interesting, but doesn't actually prove/disprove the spiritual experience people claimed to have had.

I think it's just a matter of saying there's a REALLY simple explanation of what people are experiencing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:38:14 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it's just a matter of saying there's a REALLY simple explanation of what people are experiencing.

Ok, but the premise is wrong. You are trying to prove/disprove a spiritual experience (i.e. OUTSIDE the physical realm) w/ physical explanations

No problem if you don't believe in any other states of existence, but obviously, anybody interested in these stories, doesn't DISbelieve in a spiritual realm.

I don't think you will find an argument in this thread, like you might in a religious thread.

There is no dogma, nobody is saying "you must believe in this or else", or "this happened but you need faith".

They are just stories; the events that brought these experiences into place differ, but the stories are very similar; take that as you like, but I find it interesting...to say the least
Speed

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Thank you everyone for your stories, keep them going!
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, but the premise is wrong. You are trying to prove/disprove a spiritual experience (i.e. OUTSIDE the physical realm) w/ physical explanations

Well, I don't think it's a matter of trying to disprove anything.  It's just saying, I hear your experience and there's a really simple explanation for it.  It sounds like you want to put your fingers in your ears and shake your head and have a spiritual experience, no matter what.  Which, by the way, isn't a problem for me.  

If you stand in the street and scream that the sun is disappearing during an eclipse, understand that someone will probably walk by and explain what's actually going on.  I think that's what's happening in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Oxygen deprivation.

Add a boner to the equation and you've got the scenario that killed that dude from INXS.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:09:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Docs put me under,cooled me down and stopped my heart for quite some time to do some stiching (five way bypass). Then they fired me back up again.

Possibly it was the heavy duty drugs but I got nothing, about a dozen hours  missing all together , not sure how long my heart was stopped for.

Not discounting other folks experiences but I can't remember anything
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, I don't think it's a matter of trying to disprove anything.  It's just saying, I hear your experience and there's a really simple explanation for it.  It sounds like you want to put your fingers in your ears and shake your head and have a spiritual experience, no matter what.  Which, by the way, isn't a problem for me.  

If you stand in the street and scream that the sun is disappearing during an eclipse, understand that someone will probably walk by and explain what's actually going on.  I think that's what's happening in this thread.

No problem.

We are free to believe/disbelieve what we want.

I never said i had this experience, nor am I arguing any physical factors that may contribute to a NDE (in fact I brought up the most conclusive clinical study that replicates the experience).

I don't appreciate the accusation that I am "putting my fingers in my ears", looking for a spiritual experience.

If you read through my posts, you will find nothing indicating my disbelief of any physical causes (except maybe for the Oxygen deprivation, which i tried a bunch of times as a kid).
No need to berate folks or compare them to someone unable to comprehend basic astronomy...people just form different opinions w/ the same evidence and different experiences

Speed

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:14:42 PM EDT
[#38]
In reading those NDE stories on the website Speed posted, all have a common theme. Those stories are very cool, I love the common theme in them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:17:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This pretty much sums up my stance.

I'm not saying anybody didn't experience something, I'm saying that the cause may be far more simple than some of the other propositions.

the human brain is an AMAZING thing, which we are literally only beginning to understand. It is, however, very fallible. I would take its own subjective impressions with a grain of salt, particularly about events that are occuring at a time when we can (I think) all agree that it is itself not functioning properly, i.e. during oxygen deprivation or other traumatic events. Since the brain is the organ doing the perceiving, it is by nature only suitable to provide a subjective perception of anything. I don't think anyone here is lying or making things up. I do think though, that they are not really in a good position to make objective statements, which is why I'm trying to look at the preponderance of evidence from objective sources, which seem to imply a physiological origin.

More study is needed, like anything else involving perception, the brain, and consciousness. This stuff fascinates me.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:17:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Docs put me under,cooled me down and stopped my heart for quite some time to do some stiching (five way bypass). Then they fired me back up again.

Possibly it was the heavy duty drugs but I got nothing, about a dozen hours  missing all together , not sure how long my heart was stopped for.

My understanding is you will not get an NDE unless you are clinically dead.  Otherwise you are just asleep. Even in the case of being on a bypass machine.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
2 Nov '98   .......I had a VERY brief––-and casual––- "encounter" with Gabriel..........I was having a heart attack and "coded" in the ICU after being treated/monitored in the ER for several hours.I remember being suddenly nauseus and told my wife to grab a trash can because I was going to throw up...and then the alarms went off.A nurse rushed  in and started slapping me (just like the movies) She told me to "stay awake,don't you go anywhere..stay with us".....I remember a nurse rolling a big machine in the door and a 1/2 doxen other people coming in....I remember my wife being ushered out the door,crying. And then  I passed out
  I don't know what the sequence of events was after this...I was defibrilated 3 times  INSTANTLY  I recognized that I was being shocked...somewhere in this period of time....I saw a young man,dressed in  a white suit,wearing a white hat.I remember DISTINCTLY our brief encounter......this young man said "My name is Gabriel and you're going to be OK"........... I simply replied "Thanks,Gabe"  .................I woke up some hours later and was transported to a larger hospital with better cardiac facilities.

Believe whatever you want........ you weren't there,I was.

Not only do I believe you, I think that part's hilarious (not to be insensitive).
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#42]
A friend of mine had an experience during a heart attack where he left his body, saw what people were doing in the room and even in the hall, nurses station and family members in the waiting room. They later were amazed at his recounting of what they spoke about, who came and went, etc... His wife was sort of spooked when he told her he saw her sitting "Indian style" at the foot of the bed....this while he was in trendelenburg (head down) position and "out".
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:12:17 PM EDT
[#43]
n/m

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#44]
I suppose you could say I had one but I've yet to ever hear someone say they experienced what I did. In 1999 I had extreme blood loss due to a silly accident. I had the whole tunnel thing except I got to the other end of that tunnel. I had no sense of euphoria, I heard no voice, I saw no relatives. What I saw is hard to put into words, no matter how I try to explain it no one understands. I felt at the time that what I was seeing was outside of my comprehension and if I stayed I would go mad. A oxygen deprived brain doing weird things? Probably, but it did affect me none-the-less.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:20:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I have heard of other people not having it either, including my father who almost died of a heart attack over 20 years ago. At the time he told me all he could remember was telling the doctor his chest hurt and waking up in the hospital bed without a clue of what happened in between. What he didn't learn until later was that his heart had stopped for almost 4 minutes before they could resuscitate him.

If NDE & OBE are produced in the brain naturally, I wonder why not everyone has a memorable NDE/OBE when they are clinically dead.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:39:32 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
One time I sneezed and farted at the same time.

If I did that right now, I wouldn't be able to start a thread about the results.  Thank God shift's almost over.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:59:51 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I suppose you could say I had one but I've yet to ever hear someone say they experienced what I did. In 1999 I had extreme blood loss due to a silly accident. I had the whole tunnel thing except I got to the other end of that tunnel. I had no sense of euphoria, I heard no voice, I saw no relatives. What I saw is hard to put into words, no matter how I try to explain it no one understands. I felt at the time that what I was seeing was outside of my comprehension and if I stayed I would go mad. A oxygen deprived brain doing weird things? Probably, but it did affect me none-the-less.

Cthulhu fhtagn!

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:01:13 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem.

We are free to believe/disbelieve what we want.

I never said i had this experience, nor am I arguing any physical factors that may contribute to a NDE (in fact I brought up the most conclusive clinical study that replicates the experience).

I don't appreciate the accusation that I am "putting my fingers in my ears", looking for a spiritual experience.

If you read through my posts, you will find nothing indicating my disbelief of any physical causes (except maybe for the Oxygen deprivation, which i tried a bunch of times as a kid).

No need to berate folks or compare them to someone unable to comprehend basic astronomy...people just form different opinions w/ the same evidence and different experiences

Speed

Fuckin' Dowsers, how do they work?

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

So what did you see?
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I thought this was another Glock thread.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top