Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:28:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I was handing off some unused demo to a guy who was too prideful to let anyone know he didn't have a clue what he was doing.

I had everything laid out nice and flat and safe on two different tables for him to come by and inspect before he took possession.  One table has all the charges and the other has the firing system components.  Easy enough.

This dude comes up, looks over the hand receipts and the tables full of goodies and signs it.  

I guess he was in a hurry, because he proceeds to dump everything into a big aviator kit bag.  I mean he's just two-hand-shoveling it all in as fast as he can, MDI, a spool of det cord, small sheet charges, thermite grenades, C4 charges, all of it.  Oh yeah, the firing systems aren't protected.

Read that last part again.

Luckily, I was able to stop him before he really started piling all the charges in on top of the firing systems.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:42:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
An accident I had today:

I was changing out a chemical feed pump at our cooling tower and was disconnecting the pump discharge line. Well, before I had the line off, it blew and showered me in sodium benzotriazole in a 1% NaOH solution. It shot me in the face and then across the back as I instinctively turned away. I immediately went to the chemical shower and eye wash station to get cleaned up. I felt like an idiot.

The pump discharge should NOT have been pressurized, but there was a block in the line that caused the problem I was there to fix so the line was charged. I was an idiot for not checking.

Anyway, I'm fine, but my prides a little hurt. I had all my PPE on and that saved it from getting in my eyes...WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES.

What are your guy's stories? Lost fingers/hands, etc?

You work at Suncor?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:08:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm a rookie cop still in F.T.O......take a fucking wild guess

Are you the one going around shooting dogs?
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:45:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I worked as a lot attendant at a used car place for one summer.  I think this was in 94 or so.  We had a car that had just come back from the repair shop that fixed some damage to the right front of the plastic bumper.  I pulled it into the bay area in the back (through a one car garage door).  Well I cut the corner just a little too wide (was making a right hand turn into the garage).  When the left front of the car was closest to the concrete wall I thought "Damn I think that's a little close".  Sure enough once I had it parked I looked at the left front of the newly painted bumper and it had scrapped the wall as I was going in.  I kept my trap shut and didn't say a thing.  It was late in the afternoon and it was my last day at that shitty job.  No one ever said anything about it to me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:58:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I was banging a First Sergeants daughter when I was in the Army. Our favorite place to "play" was the base commanders back yard.

Yep, took my life into my own hands for a little piece of tail. What was I supposed to do? She was a gymnast, could fold both legs behind her head.........

Oh wait a minute, was this a thread about screwing up at work, or getting screwed at work?

And to 1SG Williams.... I treated your daughter with the utmost respect.  I "respected" the hell out of her....

And to Major Allen, you jackass, I did things to your daughter that are illegal in 38 states. Sbe was walking funny after every time we met.
You never should have said you forbade your daughter to date enlisted men. Sucka!

Whew...glad to finally get that off my chest, been keeping that a secret for 18 long years!

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 2:58:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
An accident I had today:

I was changing out a chemical feed pump at our cooling tower and was disconnecting the pump discharge line. Well, before I had the line off, it blew and showered me in sodium benzotriazole in a 1% NaOH solution. It shot me in the face and then across the back as I instinctively turned away. I immediately went to the chemical shower and eye wash station to get cleaned up. I felt like an idiot.

The pump discharge should NOT have been pressurized, but there was a block in the line that caused the problem I was there to fix so the line was charged. I was an idiot for not checking.

Anyway, I'm fine, but my prides a little hurt. I had all my PPE on and that saved it from getting in my eyes...WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES.

I have installed and repaired chemical feed equipment for cooling tower/boiler systems for the last 7 yrs. I moved from installer to tech support after blowing out a disc in my back though. Kind of like the gun is always loaded, the line is ALWAYS CHARGED until you verify its been depressurized. Also, it doesnt have to be charged with chemical. The injection valves fail constantly and fill the discharge line with tower water. 316 stainless steel filled with a 92% sulfuric acid that has a failed check valve will turn into a sagging sprinkler system after the acid is diluted and sets in the line for awhile. Not fun to walk up on the sprinkler thats 20' overhead.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 3:25:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I stuck my hand in a table saw several years ago.  Still have all of it, looks OK, but the thumb doesn't work quite right anymore.  A few years after that, I cut a biscuit slot in the tip of my left ring finger.  The latter was really stupid; you pretty much gotta TRY in order to hurt yourself with a biscuit joiner.

Jane

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:05:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I worked at a meat market/deli when I was a teenager and easily distracted.  I was slicing some cheese one day when a gorgeous girl walked in, and sent the end of my thumb into the cutting wheel.  Ended up in the ER, and ruined a 5 pound block of American cheese.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:06:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Running a CNC punch press and loaded the tooling wrong in one station... A .490" Square punch and a .25" Round die

You can put a square peg in a round hole with 33 tons of pressure.....once

I was running an Amada turret punch and put a .25" x 40." rectangle at 0 degrees and the die at 90 degrees.  Ouch!

Vulcan94

The sheetmetal guy did the the same thing at the shop I used to work at. The Strippit was not happy.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:10:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I was putting a workstation on the domain and omitted a number from the IP addy (domain is all static). When it connected I got a duplicate IP network error. I immediately disabled the network adapter and checked my spreadsheet to see what box I conflicted with and it was one of the servers.

Fortunately the affect was minimal, but it was still quite embarrassing.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:35:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I was late with my homework and tried to sneak it in the professor's file...but he saw me and then started a shitstorm with my classmate.

:)

Hax

See me after class.

I admit it...I LOL'd.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:43:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I stuck my hand in a table saw several years ago.  Still have all of it, looks OK, but the thumb doesn't work quite right anymore.  A few years after that, I cut a biscuit slot in the tip of my left ring finger.  The latter was really stupid; you pretty much gotta TRY in order to hurt yourself with a biscuit joiner.

Jane

Lost the ends of  three fingers on my left hand in a table saw many years ago.  I still do woodwork, but am very, very careful around the powerstuff...and, I admit, nervous around tablesaws.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 4:53:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I dumped a whole pallet of glass encased candles on accident with my forklift.  Must have been about  500 of them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:18:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bent the ejecter plate on a 50k $ plastic injection mold. Replaced the bushings and clamped the piss out of it to staighten my fuck up. It was in a 140 ton Battenfeld

I used to work in two different injection molding plants. Both had machines ranging up to 3200 tons, mostly Cincinnati Milacron. You wouldn't BELIEVE the shit you can bend/ break with that much clamp pressure (wasn't me, I'm just the planner)!

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:22:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:28:08 AM EDT
[#16]

A few go-arounds at work, some my fault, some not...when a plane costs about a little under a dollar every two seconds to operate, a 15 minute go-around is expensive.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:29:21 AM EDT
[#17]

While going to a 2 year tech school and learning automotive stuff I was co-opping at one place and another mechanic needed someone to tap on a brake light cover to see if it would get the new bulb to light up.  Me lightly rapping it with my knuckles broke the cover.  Shop covered half and I covered half but it just busted due to being old plastic.

I got put on one mechanic's comeback, he was in the middle of a big job and I was not doing anything.  The car had a slight leak from the valve covers.  Took them off and in changing the gaskets found out the previous mechanic had cleaned a layer of cork off some cork gaskets with a piece of sheetmetal in between 2 layers of cork.  What he had looked right but would not seal.

I pulled out the original gasket remains and his replacement gasket and got some fresh gaskets and things were sealed up.  

That mechanic took a lot of ribbing on that one because he had complained about how hard it was to clean out the original cork gaskets while originally doing the job.

When doing king pin sleeving I now and then had to take a 2nd cut because I screwed up the measurements and setting things up for the first cut.  

Generally my screw ups just made an easy job harder or caused me to have to spend a little bit of my money to replace whatever I screwed up.

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:37:23 AM EDT
[#18]
I've never really screwed up too bad at work, but about ten years ago I was working in a Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki/Yamaha/Arctic Cat/Bombardier dealership, selling motorcycles and ATVs.  One of the other salesmen sold a new ATV.  It was common for us to load it into the customer's pickup, because that can be scary for someone who's never done it.  There were weeks when you'd do it 20 times or more, so we were all really talented at loading these things and rarely used the chains to secure the ramp.  

So he set up the big aluminum ramp, got on this guy's new machine, started up the ramp and realized he wasn't carrying enough speed.  Then he broke the cardinal rule and squeezed the throttle to make it up.  The ramp kicked out just as the front tires got on the tailgate and the ATV fell backwards on top of him.  

He had a couple scrapes and bruises, the handlebars of the machine were bent and it was a little scuffed, but nothing was hurt as bad as his ego.  After that we were all required to use the safety chains on the ramp.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jane

Lost the ends of  three fingers on my left hand in a table saw many years ago.  I still do woodwork, but am very, very careful around the powerstuff...and, I admit, nervous around tablesaws.

I once tested a dado cut freehand, the block of wood shot across the room and left a dent in the wall.  Not a scratch on me.  Blessed around woodworking equipment, I tell ya, not to mention far more careful than I was as a callow youth.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#20]
I did 100k+ damage to a building with a piece of heavy equipment. And I may or may not have pictures of said accident scene.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#21]
One of the most interesting "ah shits" was done by one of my co-workers in the warehouse....

The factory set in an industrial park that had a railroad spur running thru it to service the various factories. The warehouse crew use to have to drive a forklift over the railroad tracks to get to an outside storage area. Instead of just slowing down and gently crossing the tracks, the warehouse crew decided they needed a faster way to cross the tracks. So they got a large 4'X6" steel plate about 1/4" thick, and they left it beside the rail crossing. Whenever they needed to go to the storage yard they would use the forklift to place the plate over the rails, and then run back and forth over it.  Yeah you probably guessed....

One day one of the warehouse guys forgot to remove the plate from the rails when he was done. That night a switch engine came into the industrial park with three empty hopper cars. One hopper car went over on it's side, the second just jumped the tracks. We come to work the next morning and BNSF has a crew and equipment getting the rail cleared. BNSF charged $10,000 for the clean up, but the guy kept his job in the warehouse. The best part was the guy was Native American so we had an endless supply of fun making comments about how "he stop'em big iron horse"...
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#22]
a while back i had been floated from the icu to a telemetry floor. This was a while back, when you had to manually thread the IV tubing into the IV pump. Anyway, one of the tele nurses threaded the tubing into the IV pump upside down.

The net result? for 2 hours she infused blood from the patient up into the bag of IV antibiotics. Imagine a 250cc bag of fluid filled with 500cc of antibiotics and blood. It looked like a giant water balloon
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:10:08 AM EDT
[#23]

Working on a hospital remodel, was after hours and I was working on the floor below the one being remodeled capping heating lines we had pulled from up above. So I'm standing on a 8 foot ladder trying to get a plug started in a 90 and there's some insulation on the 90 that's getting in my way so I grab a big handfull and tear it out of my way and pull it out of the hole I was reaching in to work. Hand came out holding a big handfull of asbestos. Someone walking by recognized it and they shut down that area of the hospital for a while.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#24]
I worked at Menards for a summer doing morning stocking.  Generally I was out in the lumber yard replacing the lumber people would take.  Well Im stocking lumber, and a guy comes up behind me and asks me to load some roofing shingles into his trailer.  No problem.

I get on the forklift, get the shingles and drive to the side of his trailer.  "No", he says.  "Just drive it all the way on the trailer and put it at the front so we can get the rest of the stuff and we dont have to unload it by hand".  I tell him that the forklift alone weighs too much and that the forklift and shingles DEFINITELY weigh too much.  "Isnt the customer always right?", he asks.  

Well, some times they are wrong.  I drove the forklift onto the trailer ramp (mangling it up pretty bad) until I started noticing that the guys truck was only on the front tires.  I start to back down and he yells "no just floor it and get up there!".

So I throw it in forward and drive onto the wooden floored trailer only to hear cracking and splintering.  The guy looks at me like and I back off the trailer as fast as I could and the truck slams quickly to the ground.  Ruined the trailer.  

Guy says "well, I told you to do it, so I wont say anything to your manager".  
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Maybe someone can coax Gravity_Tester to retell his stories from when he worked at the airbag plant.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 10:46:53 AM EDT
[#26]
In my past radio life, I did once or twice sleep through my station ID time at the college station. It was a 5am shift.

I learned on vinyl, reel to reel, and tape cartridges. Those of you accustomed to servers full of digital audio won't appreciate this. I was running a night show playing CDs. 2 of the 3 CD players went TU, so I couldn't smoothly bounce between songs. There was an old rack of tape cartridges on the wall, so I started pulling some. My manager got after me for playing a Kiss song on an adult contemp show. I told him that wouldn't happen if they actually paid to keep their equipment maintained. They went digital shortly thereafter.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#27]
We were flattening some brass lugs in a press.  I had the guards all set up, it was idiot proof....

Then they hired a better idiot.

The safety guards were sheet lexan, mounted to the front of the dies, and that floated, completely blocking the area between the tools as soon as the press started to move.  There was a 1/4" gap when the press was all the way open, so you could push the now flat part out the back, and slide a new one in with the "pusher", a piece of aluminum scrap with a U shape cut out of the end.  You never put your fingers in the machine if you followed directions, the only risk was ruining a part by crushing the pusher into it.  If you weren't paying attention, and tried to stick your fingers in there on accident, they wouldn't fit under the guard even when it was all the way open.

I had shown the new idiot what to do, and stayed near him for an hour.  Yes, I had that much faith in him.  He was doing OK, so I moved on to do other things.

About an hour before the shift was over, I heard a scream from the press area......

I run over, I see him holding his right hand in his left, with blood running from between his fingers....

He had wedged the guards open because the pusher was too difficult to use.....

End result, all the fingers (what's left of them) are perfectly even with the tip of his pinky finger, right across the hand.  He lost the tips of three fingers to crushing damage.

I have felt the earth rumble when dies have been crossed in the Amada, and Stripits.

There's a wall with a hole crushed in when a press "operator" crushed a set of tooling, cracking off a chunk, which flew into the wall....

I was 5 feet away when a chuck came out of a lathe at full speed.... shattered the safely glass, and sent the operator to the bathroom to wipe out his pants.... He had been watching through the window.

I had a 5" knock off Scotchbrite grinding pad come off a hand held grinder at 12,000 RPM once... It ripped my sleeve, and left a gash most of the way along my forearm.  The sales guy who sold them to us said "That can't happen" so I loaded another one up, and ZING, off it went.  Missed him by about 4', but he still turned white as a ghost, and gave us a full refund on the blanket order.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:14:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Nothing at all to do with me, but this is the epitome of a Bad, BAD day:

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#29]
A turret ring on an Abrams will eat anything that gets in its way.  These don's work so well when they are in 10 pieces strewn about the floor of your turret..

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:44:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I was putting a workstation on the domain and omitted a number from the IP addy (domain is all static). When it connected I got a duplicate IP network error. I immediately disabled the network adapter and checked my spreadsheet to see what box I conflicted with and it was one of the servers.

Ah come'on....people are in here talking about slicing off fingers and the best you've got is an IP conflict?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:45:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I dumped a whole pallet of glass encased candles on accident with my forklift.  Must have been about  500 of them.

It could have been worse!

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:05:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It could have been worse!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8ZmOgMlyRE

You duped me by 31 minutes and 40 some odd seconds  

Link Posted: 9/3/2010 12:07:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I helped accidentally our whole website once.  Was working with someone on adjust our sync scripts and wasn't paying attention.   Sync this empty directory to all 4 webservers!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I was handing off some unused demo to a guy who was too prideful to let anyone know he didn't have a clue what he was doing.

I had everything laid out nice and flat and safe on two different tables for him to come by and inspect before he took possession.  One table has all the charges and the other has the firing system components.  Easy enough.

This dude comes up, looks over the hand receipts and the tables full of goodies and signs it.  

I guess he was in a hurry, because he proceeds to dump everything into a big aviator kit bag.  I mean he's just two-hand-shoveling it all in as fast as he can, MDI, a spool of det cord, small sheet charges, thermite grenades, C4 charges, all of it.  Oh yeah, the firing systems aren't protected.

Read that last part again.

Luckily, I was able to stop him before he really started piling all the charges in on top of the firing systems.

When I was working at the airbag plant, one of the mags we stored propellant in also had a cage for scrap propellant. One night, while I was out getting propellant for production (LOVA-RDX based propellant), one of the waste management guys saw the mag open, so he came by to transfer in some scrap. We're standing in the mag, shooting the breeze (I already had my stuff, but since I had opened the mag, I couldn't leave it unattended to be closed up and secured by someone else), and I just happen to glance down as he opens the tube (big cardboard tube that LOVA ships in-holds 28 lbs) and starts pouring bags of scrap into the tube in the cage.

Something shiny caught my eye as it fell into the tube-turns out, instead of scrap LOVA, he grabbed a container filled with initiators. Un-shunted, scrap initiators. Unbagged, un-shunted, scrap initiators. Pouring into a tube with about 15 pounds of RDX, sitting in a magazine with about 35 thousand pounds of RDX.

I watched him extract all the initiators from across the street, then, once I was sure he had gotten them all and wasn't going to turn a significant portion of the immediate area into a smoking hole in the ground, I secured the mag.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:38:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Worked as a night stocker in a grocery store many years ago. About 2 AM every morning the trucks would start coming in the dock with dairy, produce, meat, etc. It was always the shift leaders job to help the driver unload using a powered pallet jack. I happened to be in the back when the load being brought out was an entire pallet of eggs, shrink wrapped, in boxes and there had to be about 24 cartons in a box and about 40 boxes on the pallet. The entire edifice was about 8 ft tall by the width of a pallet. My job was to walk ahead of the pallet and move anything in the walkway so that it wouldn't get in the way. Unfortunately the pallet driver didn't notice the pipe sticking out of the wall about 7 ft from the floor and about 2 ft into the aisle. Its amazing what happens to a pallet of eggs when it catches an immovable object, is then jerked to a stop and emergency backed full speed. I now know that 1 person cannot hold a pallet full of eggs upright once it decides to topple over. I also know that it took the shift foreman the rest of the night to clean up the eggs. We could have served scrambled eggs to the entire city but once they hit the cement it was a little too grungy to scoop up and serve!  The shift foreman got his butt chewed but not too bad. I got the evil eye but since I was helping and not just standing around slackjawed I got off w/o a big a$$ chewing! Lesson learned is look overhead when moving a load even if you're told to clear the deck first!
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bent the ejecter plate on a 50k $ plastic injection mold. Replaced the bushings and clamped the piss out of it to staighten my fuck up. It was in a 140 ton Battenfeld

I used to work in two different injection molding plants. Both had machines ranging up to 3200 tons, mostly Cincinnati Milacron. You wouldn't BELIEVE the shit you can bend/ break with that much clamp pressure (wasn't me, I'm just the planner)!

I started out in injection molding when I was 18, I'm still in the business 17 years lately.  During my first unsupervised set up of an injection molding machine (old 400 ton Newbury), I forgot to put it in low pressure mode.  The bang it made when it closed shook the building.  There was a 1/2 -13 stud sticking out of one of the ejector rod tie-ins that was flattened and it bent the ejector plate.  It also destroyed the locating ring on the mold and the sprue bushing in the platen.  

When I was 14 I worked part time at a VW repair shop.  I was moving a floor jack out of the way so I could sweep and somehow the handle fell down and dented and scraped the door of a customers car.  The boss/owner scolded me but then told the customer probably wouldnt notice and they werent going  to tell them about it..  The owner of the shop was later arrested for dumping leftover automotive paint in the river.

Around that same time I also worked part time as a janitor at a nursing home.  We had just gotten a heavy snowfall and the nursing home parking lot was being plowed.  The idiot plow driver pushed a pile of snow up against and through the window of one of the rooms.  The snow and broken glass landed on a poor old senile guy laying in bed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah come'on....people are in here talking about slicing off fingers and the best you've got is an IP conflict?  

LOL

Well I did have a story about laying in a shower stall, puking, when I worked offshore. At the time, I was very embarrassed and felt like a total landlubber newbie but after a half hour the salty-20+years-offshore engineer came in and laid on the floor of the shower stall next to me and puked, too.

I had been stacking anchor chain in a chain locker for about 45 minutes and was puking too much (very rough that night) and they pulled me out and sent the engineer in. So it started off feeling like a screw-up at work and then he came and puked to vindicate me.

/csb
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I was diluting some antibody one day and spaced out on my units.  The stock was at 5mg/mL.  I had previously written down that I needed 1.1ug/uL which is equivalent to 1.1mg/mL just expressed with smaller units.  I accidentally diluted down to 1.1ng/uL (1.1ug/mL), and there went $2,800.

Ouch!  Couldn't re-concentrate the ab with a 50KDa Centricon or similar?

A long time back I loaded our autoclave with a batch of plasticware - without noticing that some dumbass had changed the cycle temp from 121 C to 131 C.  I learned that the melting point of polyethylene is somewhere between those two temperatures.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#39]
It was pretty icy one day and in Texas everything pretty much shuts down when it's icy. I was at work and most everybody else wasn't so I was chasing my ass all day trying to cover for everyone else and I fucked up and scrapped about $250,000 worth of material. I got a raise.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#40]
This is nothing compared to some  of the tales in this thread, buuut:

Customer comes in and purchases a Special Order Husqvarna zero-turn mower.
Delivery runs it over to their house. As they are unloading the mower, one of the ramps breaks. The mower lands upside-down, snapping off one of the control levers.
We order a replacement, which arrives with a large, obvious chip in the paint. We put the new mower on a pallet, and deliver it on a "pig truck", which is a large flatbed with attached forklift. The Assembler rides along, and upon arrival switches the chipped part between the first and second mowers, resulting in one good mower.
The first mower is placed onto the pallet vacated by the second. As the Delivery guy goes to load up the first mower, he rams the forklift into the customer's carport, crushing the guttering along the edge of the roof.
Customer never got angry during any of this.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Maybe someone can coax Gravity_Tester to retell his stories from when he worked at the airbag plant.  

Was that at TRW?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Nothing at all to do with me, but this is the epitome of a Bad, BAD day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GXdMUk0Ysc

That puff of smoke when he cranks it at 0:23 is freakin priceless!!

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:57:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Working at a Chevy/Hyundai dealer I replaced the clutch master cylinder (hydraulic clutch) on an old Excel, and lowered the lift just enough for the tires to be touching the floor. I was trying to bleed the air out of the system, and not realizing the tires were on the floor, started her up. I had the clutch applied but too much air in the lines so it didn't disengage. The tires spun, the car launched off the lift and slammed straight into my new $5,000 Snap-On toolbox. I went to get the Service Manager and he laughed his ass  off. The Excel was so old and beat up you couldn't really tell there was any add'l damage, but because it was my fault the shops insurance wouldn't cover my tool box. I spent the rest of the afternoon prying out the bottom 5 drawers of my box and hammering them back into a usable shape. Over the next couple of days the other mechanics started covering my toolbox with Band-aids. That was in 1996, the Band-aids are still there.........

I'm not a mechanic anymore, but to quote Jeff Spiccoli, "......I got an awesome set of tools".
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:58:22 PM EDT
[#44]
A friend and I were working tech.  He was carrying a Laserjet 4 printer.  Pretty bulky, fairly heavy.  We were trying to get on an elevator.  The door was just closing and I jumped in front of him to try to grab it, and knocked the printer out of his hands.  It landed on his foot.  Buncha cursing, a week or so of limping, but nothing broken but the printer.

I had a load of the old tit-shaped iMacs tube-down on carpet in the back of a van, six or so, all fairly new.  Took off without closing the rear door, dropped three out the back onto the asphalt.  No survivors.

There have been one or two "oopses" with backups too, where I messed up the "to" and "from" essentially, rewriting important data with the contents of the drive I was going to use to store the backup.  That's always fun to fess up to.

Yea, I've got a streak'a dumbass, but I like to think my overall impact is to fight rather than assist entropy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You're living on the edge......you'd better slow down.

I brought down Liberty Mutual's network for an hour doing the exact same thing. They supplied the IP addresses for our equipment though, so took awhile to figure out what was going on and where the duplicate IP was. Not my fault.

The infamous "Stuck Bit" theory strikes again, and it's cruel mistress "FM" (F@ck1ng Magic).

Q: Hey, how'd you fix it?
A: FM
Q: What was wrong with it?
A: It had a stuck bit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:30:37 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

The best screw up story I've ever heard was one a truckdriver told me just this past Spring, he was up around Schenectady? or in that area hauling a trailer and at some point a wire was hanging too low and his trailer caught it and he actually began tearing down high voltage power lines, he felt a bit of resistance and looked in the rear view mirror and saw a sheet of fire behind his truck, transformers etc...he caught the road on fire...this happened a few years ago and it was covered in the local news, tons of fire and police called to the scene. Amazingly, he was not found to be at fault for that and is still driving.

Yep. The utilities are required by law to hang lines high enough for a standard height van trailer to fit underneath, even on residential streets.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:08:38 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Quoted:
I have felt the earth rumble when dies have been crossed in the Amada, and Stripits.

There's a wall with a hole crushed in when a press "operator" crushed a set of tooling, cracking off a chunk, which flew into the wall....

I was 5 feet away when a chuck came out of a lathe at full speed.... shattered the safely glass, and sent the operator to the bathroom to wipe out his pants.... He had been watching through the window.

I had a 5" knock off Scotchbrite grinding pad come off a hand held grinder at 12,000 RPM once... It ripped my sleeve, and left a gash most of the way along my forearm. The sales guy who sold them to us said "That can't happen" so I loaded another one up, and ZING, off it went. Missed him by about 4', but he still turned white as a ghost, and gave us a full refund on the blanket order

I seen a guy I trained on the Press Brake put in the wrong dies once, I figured he would catch it right away.

As soon as I thought that I heard a loud bang and he was doubled up on the floor

A chunk of lower die split and hit him flat faced rightin the belly, he was laying there trying to catch his breath   I told him he was damn lucky it did't yaw in flight or it would have really fucked him up.

Where I work I started as a grinder, we had the same problem rightin front of the 3M rep he was watching through the window when a Scotchbrite pad took off of my grinder and nailed me inthe nuts.......It was a good thing I had leathers on or I would still have a lump in my throat, same thing  Company got a full refund on them.  I noticed now 3M makes them so they are attached with a spindle nut  

too bad you don't have video of that.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 11:39:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
An accident I had today:

Next time make sure the marzelvanes are in flux with the recipricating dinglearm before disconnecting the pump discharge line!

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top