Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Caipirinha

• 5.0 cl (1⅔ fl oz) cachaça

• ½ Lime cut into 4 wedges (or tahiti lime, but not green lemon)

• 2 teaspoons crystal or refined sugar

Place lime and sugar into old fashioned glass and muddle (mash the two ingredients together using a muddler or a wooden spoon). Fill the glass with crushed ice and add the Cachaça.[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caipirinha#cite_note-1][2][/url]

You beat me to it.

Strong drink.

But not bad to drink, very light summer flavor.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Manhattan

5oz whiskey (I prefer rye)
2oz sweet vermouth
Couple drops of bitters.

Amen.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:29:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
take vodka, poor into a large juice glass, pound it down like a man

This got me arrested once.

It wasn't funny at the time, but has been ever since. My parents still fuck with me about that night.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:34:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Manhattan = whiskey + sweet vermouth + agnostura bitters + optional maraschino cherry

Rob Roy = scotch + sweet vermouth (optionally, dry vermouth)

Gin & Tonic = well, duh.

I don't know what its called but I like it.  Drambuie + soda water + lime juice = win, especially if you like scotch.

Ooooh, never tried a Rob Roy with dry vermouth.  I usually go heavy on the bitters and light on the vermouth so I should give that a shot!

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Vodka Martini, shaken not stirred.

<––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––  

Too bad a vodka "martini" isn't a Martini.

Drink it with gin or go home.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Vesper martini:

3 to 1 to 1/2 parts Gin, Vodka and Lillet Blanc.  I suggest Hendricks and Absolut or Stoli.  Get it very cold, shake it hard if you want it diluted, stir if you want it strong.  

Garnish with a lemon twist.

Yes, it's from James Bond (though Kina dry Lillet isn't made anymore and was more bitter than today's, and Hendricks isn't your typical gin), but it's also a killer martini.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Vodka and orange juice
Take orange juice freeze into Ice cubes
Put oj cubes in glass to top fill airspaces with vodka. Sip slowly. Stir as melt occurs.

Liquorice shake:
Breyers premium vanilla ice cream
milk
anisette
make a milk shake season with anisette to taste.

This will take multiple tries to get right. You have to mix in the anisette in the blender with the milk and ice cream.

Kahlua can be substituted for the anisette.

Happy drinking
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you going fag on us again Kap?

Pour it straight into a glass and fucking drink it.  

BTW, if you haven't tried Makers 46 I had quite a bit of it last weekend.  Good stuff, recommend trying it at least once just to say you did.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:03:32 PM EDT
[#9]
ruffies + pina colada = ruffy colada
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#10]

If you like Bourbon...The Manhattan

Manhattan
5 parts American whiskey
1 part Italian (sweet) vermouth
dash of Angostura bitters to each drink
Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass and serve garnished with a maraschino cherry.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't care for gin at all and I've tried the tradtional martini recipe, and it doesn't work for me, but I spent alot of time figuring out a cocktail based on the "vodka" martini that fits my taste.

I call it "The Smoking Gun".  I based it of a drink known as the "silver bullet"
3 parts Vodka (I use Stolichnaya)
1 part dry vermouth (I've used several so no preference)
1/2 Bourbon (seems good with Makers Mark, J.D., or single malt scotch)
Shake all with ice that is fresh and not sitting in the freezer for 2 weeks and strain into a cocktail glass.  I garnish with three green olives.

Let me know if any of you try it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:11:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Throw Me Down and Fuck Me

Place the two liquors into the bottom of a shot glas. Add pineapple juice and grenadine, mix well, and serve.

Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's one I figured out last weekend and was surprisingly good.

2 parts unfiltered Sake
1 part premium tequila (I used Cabo Wabo)

On the rocks and stir.  Don't stand up too fast.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Makers 46 + glass + 2 or 3 ice cubes = win  

Drinking some right now
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#15]
A GOOD Scotch Whiskey...... add a little water..... enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#16]
One I came up with on a hot summer day, since I LOVE gin and tonics and LOVE martinis I froze a tray of tonic.

Fill shaker with tonic cubes and pour a good gin over it and shake the hell out of it.
Pour in glass then enjoy the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I drink primarily whiskey.
Generally Marker's Mark, Knob Creek, JD, Crown Royal, or Wiser's Deluxe (if I'm on a budget) on the rocks.

Give me some "classy" drink recipes. They don't have to use whiskey as a base. Not a bunch of sugary fruit shit, no Jägermeister, and no sizzurp.

Martinis are welcome, but hoping for some other stuff.
Drinks that actually fit what you asked for instead of soda and liquor:

Real Martini:  2 oz Tanqueray (The normal kind, no hypens or non traditional varients.), 1 oz Cinzano Dry Vermouth (Do not substitute Martini & Rossi), Drop or two of Fee Brothers Orange Bitters (strictly optional),

Can be shaken or stirred with ice.  Pour after very cold into Martini glass making sure all ice is left behind in the shaker.  Add 1 pimento stuffed olive, preferrebably packed in vermouth.

Manhatten:  2 oz Sazerac Rye Whiskey, 1 oz Cinzano Sweet (red) Vermouth, drop or two (no more) Angastora Bitters.  Stir with ice until cold.  (Do not shake.)  Pour after very cold into Martini glass making sure all ice is left behind in shaker.
Cherry is optional.  If cherries are used, recommend brandied cherries and not maraschino.  

These.  Except that's way too much vermouth in the martini.  A couple of drops is plenty.  
No.  My recipe is a martini.  You have been drinking straight gin.

You can't get a good Martini at a bar.  They use Martini & Rossi and it is usually old because people learned to order Martini's by watching TV.  Martini & Rossi, especially stale & old, taste like fish.  It's horrible.  Cinzano Vermouth is very good and gives a Martini a crisp, dry snap.

This goes in Martini's
http://s9.thisnext.com/media/230x230/Cinzano-Dry-Vermouth-750ML_566A93DA.jpg

Okay, I'll try it your way.  I've got nothing to lose except my liver.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:20:17 PM EDT
[#18]
3:1 Gin:Vermouth, shake with ice, pour and serve.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 10:40:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Two drinks of my own invention:

Hella Rum'n'Coke:
* 2 shots white rum
* 1 shot spiced rum
* 1 shot Jamaican rum
Splash of coke for color

Long Island Abotrion:
* 1 shot gin
* 1 shot light rum
* 1 shot light tequila
* 1 shot vodka
* 2 shots margarita mix
top off with sprite

Tastes like ginger ale.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:17:27 PM EDT
[#20]
traditional sidecar:

1 1/4 oz cognac

3/4 oz cointreau

stir (do not shake) with ice, strain into chilled cocktail glass.  garnish with a lemon twist.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:34:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
traditional sidecar:

1 1/4 oz cognac
3/4 oz cointreau

stir (do not shake) with ice, strain into chilled cocktail glass.  garnish with a lemon twist.

Thank God someone put it here. I was starting to lose faith in humanity.

ETA:  Although, your recipe is missing lemon juice.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 11:44:59 PM EDT
[#22]
some really good vodka
Kahlua
Bluebell homemade vanilla ice cream
mixed in blender
best white Russians you ever had
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:43:38 AM EDT
[#23]
manhattan
old fashioned
gin and tonic
martini (real martinis have gin and vermouth in them, if you want vodka straight up, just order it that way.  stirred too.)
neat scotch with a water back to be added to taste
rusty nail
scotch and soda
moscow mule or dark and stormy
pegu club
pimm's cup
sidecar
aviation
gimlet (again gin, not vodka)
negroni
daiquiri (not frozen)
margarita (see above)
caipirinha
mint julep
sazerac
cape cod
gin flip
gin rickey

To me these are all classic cocktails.  Some are easier to make than others.   Trying to find everything you need for say an aviation can be difficult unless you have a great liquor store.

On a side note this thread is disturbing.  A forum full of "manly men" being asked for non-sweet drinks and he gets told to make a milkshake?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:44:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Generally Marker's Mark, Knob Creek, JD, Crown Royal, or Wiser's Deluxe (if I'm on a budget) on the rocks.

Give me some "classy" drink recipes. They don't have to use whiskey as a base. Not a bunch of sugary fruit shit, no Jägermeister, and no sizzurp.

Real Martini:  2 oz Tanqueray (The normal kind, no hypens or non traditional varients.), 1 oz Cinzano Dry Vermouth (Do not substitute Martini & Rossi), Drop or two of Fee Brothers Orange Bitters (strictly optional),

Can be shaken or stirred with ice.  Pour after very cold into Martini glass making sure all ice is left behind in the shaker.  Add 1 pimento stuffed olive, preferrebably packed in vermouth.

Manhatten:  2 oz Sazerac Rye Whiskey, 1 oz Cinzano Sweet (red) Vermouth, drop or two (no more) Angastora Bitters.  Stir with ice until cold.  (Do not shake.)  Pour after very cold into Martini glass making sure all ice is left behind in shaker.

Cherry is optional.  If cherries are used, recommend brandied cherries and not maraschino.  

These.  Except that's way too much vermouth in the martini.  A couple of drops is plenty.  
No.  My recipe is a martini.  You have been drinking straight gin.

You can't get a good Martini at a bar.  They use Martini & Rossi and it is usually old because people learned to order Martini's by watching TV.  Martini & Rossi, especially stale & old, taste like fish.  It's horrible.  Cinzano Vermouth is very good and gives a Martini a crisp, dry snap.

This goes in Martini's

http://s9.thisnext.com/media/230x230/Cinzano-Dry-Vermouth-750ML_566A93DA.jpg

Okay, I'll try it your way.  I've got nothing to lose except my liver.  
Cool.  Refrigerate the Cinzano after opening.  You can even refrigerate it before making the Martini, less dilution from the ice that way.

I use the 2:1 ratio as is traditional.  3:1 might also work.  But they are really getting carried away with the Hawkeye Pierce thing when they rinse the glass with vermouth and throw it out.

Bombay Sapphire is good gin.  However, Tanqueray holds it's own in a Martini better.  Much stronger flavors.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 3:47:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Not even close to an old fashioned"
Okay what?
I learned from a friend of the family..It was our regular drink out in the woods.

2 oz blended whiskey  bourbon
1 sugar cube
1 dash bitters
1 cherry
1 slice orange

Place the sugar cube, bitters, cherry and orange slice and 1 tsp. water in an old-fashioned glass.
Muddle well, add blended whiskey, and stir. Add a twist of lemon peel and ice cubes.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:46:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Drinks are for girls.

Take good quality russian or polish vodka and drink it down.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:53:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
tonic water + vodka.  

Whiskey + cola.

simple is sophisticated.

This
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:54:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The correct way to make a martini is to set the unopened bottle of vermouth NEXT to the shaker for a second or 2, then throw away the bottle of that nasty shit. (still unopened so no one gets contaminated)
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:57:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Scotch + Glass

Repeat as necessary.

This

add a Patel as needed

Rocky Patel needs to fucking die and take his shitty cigars with him.

Can we settle on "I won't try and make you smoke one"  
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:01:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Rum + Coke + Ice + A glass to put said liquid in = 3

+ Lime for a Cuba Libre

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Manhattan = whiskey + sweet vermouth + agnostura bitters + optional maraschino cherry

Rob Roy = scotch + sweet vermouth (optionally, dry vermouth)

Gin & Tonic = well, duh.

I don't know what its called but I like it.  Drambuie + soda water + lime juice = win, especially if you like scotch.

Ooooh, never tried a Rob Roy with dry vermouth.  I usually go heavy on the bitters and light on the vermouth so I should give that a shot!  

I have a fairly high tolerance for alcohol, but Rob Roys are like my personal Kryptonite.... only in a good way.  A couple of those and I'm in my chair for the rest of the evening.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:07:32 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Ice+Capt. Morgan+Ginger ale=

Try to find this.  Will take your drink to the next level.  I love the second from the left.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:08:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Booze is good food

[nathan explosion] "...and don't just buy booze. booze ain't food." [/nathan explosion]

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Get a 12oz glass put ice in the glass add tequila to flavor and drink

no reason to ruin good booz with soda / juice / fruit or other shit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:13:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Here's something I came up with.  I mix up a big batch of it for an annual party at my place and put it into one of those round coolers with a spigot and a ziplock bag full of ice (keeps it cold without watering it down).  You can either drink it as a shot, or mix it ~50/50 with club soda (plain or lemon-lime flavored) and drink it on the rocks with a slice of lime in it (my preferred method of drinking it).  

Limey Bastard

1 part Bacardi white rum
1 part Myers Dark rum
1 part triple sec
1/2 part Bacardi 151
2 parts Rose's Lime Juice
3 parts fresh squeezed lime juice

For a single drink, I'll use a half-jigger measure following the ratios above, shake well with ice and then pour into a tall glass with ice.  Top off with lemon-lime club soda, run a lime slice around the rim and then throw it in the drink.  Very refreshing for a hot day.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:14:18 AM EDT
[#36]
try a manhatten with your favorite cheaper bourbon
any high end bourbons, blended whiskeys, scotches, can stand on their own and should not be mixed with anything
except maybe an ice cube or two or a splash of water
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:15:08 AM EDT
[#37]
mint julip with your favorite sheap to mid range bourbon
not for everyone and probably not a year round drink
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Arnold Palmer made with Jeramiah Sweet Tea Vodka is an amazing drink during the summer.  Half Jereamiah, half Lemonaide over ice in a highball.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:22:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
mint julip with your favorite sheap to mid range bourbon
not for everyone and probably not a year round drink

Got me arrested once.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#40]
My personal favorites:

Long Island Ice Tea-Lots of ingredients, very strong, very fun to play with. You can mix it a million different ways with a million different variations on mix, liquors, and everything else. I always try to get mine to look exactly like, and even taste a bit, like iced tea. With practice and variations it is amazing how close you can get.

GIN martini-As another poster mentioned, a vodka martini.........isn't. Quality gin, wash an ice cold martini glass with dry vermouth, don't be stingy with the olives and enjoy. A dirty martini isn't too bad either. Well mixed and served properly it should really not have much, if any, bite. Will be fairly smooth and have that 'sophisticated' taste you are after. However, martini's are almost dead. Here is how the conversation usually goes when ordering one:

"Yes, I would like a martini, three olives."

"Sure! What kind of vodka would you like?"

"No, I ordered a martini. Bombay Sapphire now that you mention it."

"Isn't that gin? What type of vodka would you like?"

"No, a GIN martini. A real one. Made with gin and vermouth."

"Really??? That sounds weird. But okay, I'll ask the barkeep."

Lastly, another poster mentioned a good imported vodka taken straight. Not a bad idea. Good, original Russian vodka doesn't taste anything like it's western counterparts (top shelf included). Different brands have a very distinctive flavor and taste. Goes down a lot smoother than the ole' Absolut or Gray Goose. It is a drink unto itself. Serve chilled with no ice or anything else.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 7:30:19 AM EDT
[#41]
not many barkeeps in this thread ehh?

a few thin slices of cucumber and 1oz simple syrup muddled in a highball, add 2 oz hendricks gin, fill with cracked ice, and shake vigorously for 5 seconds.

you can thank me for the cucumber gimlet later...

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The correct way to make a martini is to set the unopened bottle of vermouth NEXT to the shaker for a second or 2, then throw away the bottle of that nasty shit. (still unopened so no one gets contaminated)
If you drink straight gin cold, just order straight gin.  No need to call it a Martini.

And proper Cinzano vermouth is good.  The Martini & Rossi that has sat in a bar for a year is horrible and tastes like fish.

Already covered that.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

try a manhatten with your favorite cheaper bourbon

any high end bourbons, blended whiskeys, scotches, can stand on their own and should not be mixed with anything

except maybe an ice cube or two or a splash of water
Manhattens are made with rye, not bourbon.  You can make it with bourbon, but rye is much better in a Manhattten.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

not many barkeeps in this thread ehh?

a few thin slices of cucumber and 1oz simple syrup muddled in a highball, add 2 oz hendricks gin, fill with cracked ice, and shake vigorously for 5 seconds.

you can thank me for the cucumber gimlet later...

Yes.  I always thought cucumber would go well with gin.

They actually sell cucumber soda.  It really tastes like cucumber.  I used it to make a gin and cucumber soda tonic.  Was good.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 4:47:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Two fingers of Glen Morangie LaSetana, one nice ice cube...in a rocks glass...and a fine cigar.

Done.

Hax
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Classiest drink I know:

Single malt scotch + glass

done.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:53:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
take vodka, poor into a large juice glass, pound it down like a man

This got me arrested once.

Got me in trouble in highschool alright.

this got me introuble in college too
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:01:47 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Whiskey + glass. Fill, drink and repeat.

You know my favorite game too?

It's called "drink the whiskey" and it's pretty sophisticated.  You poor yourself a glass of whiskey, then you drink it.  Repeat until a winner is declared.

Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:14:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

If you drink straight gin cold, just order straight gin.  No need to call it a Martini.

And proper Cinzano vermouth is good.  The Martini & Rossi that has sat in a bar for a year is horrible and tastes like fish.

Already covered that.

Actually I don't call it a Martini.  I order as follows:

"Chopin, up, a little dirty, as cold as you can make it.  If there's no slush, it's not cold enough."

Gin is a spirit conceived of the devil and makes good people do bad things.

Good vodka on the other hand, is quite benign and makes for an enjoyable evening.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Gin is a spirit conceived of the devil and makes good people do bad things.

Good vodka on the other hand, is quite benign and makes for an enjoyable evening.

You're no fun...

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top