Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2002 3:17:38 PM EDT
I just recently finished reading "Into the Storm - A U.S. Marine in the Persian Gulf War".  It contains this interesting passage:

...we heard the familiar thump of rotor blades in the distance, to the west.  We scrambled around, grabbing rifles and looking for defilade.  We heard another sound, too, but this one didn't sound like a helicopter.  Nobody could make it out.  Then, breaking out of the clouds, a Marine UH-1 Huey appeared, slowly flying across our field of vision.

Then we could make sense of the noise.  We heard the unmistakable voice of Robert Plant belting out the lyrics to Led Zeppelin's "Black Dog".

It was a surreal moment, like something out of "Apocalypse Now", hearing rock and roll blaring out of a flying war machine.  The helo was, most likely, on a psychological-operations mission designed to rattle the Iraqis-- as if the tons of bombs falling on their heads hourly weren't doing the job.

The Marines loved it.  Grinning like madmen, they threw their fists into the air, pumping them in time to the music...
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 3:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Killin is much more fun when jammin Zeppelin!

[kill]
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#2]
My personal favorite- when the army Rangers had Manuel Noriega cornered in the Papal Nuncio in Panama city, they positioned loudspeakers in the street & blasted rock music at the compound 24 hrs a day. Favored tracks were "Renegade" by Styx and "Out to get me" by Guns 'n Roses.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 3:59:43 PM EDT
[#3]
"Senator Son"----by CCR
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 4:16:13 PM EDT
[#4]
In Nam the seawolves had speakers mounted for some surrender tapes some REMF dreamed up. Then one of the guys had an idea and put in a hendrix tape on a fire mission. It scared the VC enough to stop their firefight. I can't remember the name of the book  but it was a good read.
Link Posted: 4/10/2002 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#5]
That's "Fortunate Son" methinks sarge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top