Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2002 1:56:41 PM EDT
What do you all consider accurate at 50m, 100m, 200m with like a 20" Colt .223 stock nothing fancy on it. Standing unsuported and also from using suport of some sort.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#1]
by stock, i'm assuming you're referring to factory and not the rear-most part of the rifle.  [:D]

what kind of ammo?

what is the shooter capable of shooting?  (while the rifle itself may be capable of 1" groups, the shooter may not.)
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Using 55 grain FMJ PMP southafrican military ammo out of my Bushmaster 20" Hbar.

1 MOA prone

Standing unsupported groups ranging from 2-5 MOA.

Narrated, I hit what I aim at. Meaning if I put up an A4 sized paper at any range from 0-300 meters I hit it.

Rate of fire is slow on both and with optimum breathing control, the faster I fire the larger the groups.

Groups get smaller with handloaded 55 gr. Vmax or 69gr Sierra HPBT ammo. But I like the reference of military ammo, if you can shoot good with military you can shoot very good with tailor made ammo.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#3]
While AR makes a good point. I have seen 30 year old M16s in the Army shoot consistent 1" to 1.5" groups in prone. (100yrds)

But in general ARs hover around 1" to 2.5" accuracy. (For your no thrills out of the box AR)

For your balls to the wall AR I have tested rifles that have been sand bagged & will shoot 1" at 300 yards.

But like AR said sometimes rifles can be far more accurate than the shooter behind them.

Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:24:08 PM EDT
[#4]
For good accuracy tip

# 1 Avoid full metal jacket ammo like the Plague!

#2 Get some good ammo [url]www.georgiaprecision.com[/url] sells Black Hills which will work good.

#3 I would expect 1 moa from a colt supported.  Factor in the stuff that AR Lady said too.  

HTH

btw- I probably couldn't throw a colt rifle stock of any configuration past 50 meters.[;)]
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes by stock I mean no fancy stuff on it, straight out of the box. I was using 55gr umc ammo and some ss109 62gr. at 50m with iron sights i was eating out the x ring asically and with the 9x scope i was about 2 inches low.
at 100m with iron sights i was keeping them all in the black 8 9 and 10 ring or x ring depending on target and witht he scope all shots were in the 10 or x ring the bullseye.
at 200m with iron sights i was always hitting the target which was a b-8 nra 25yd handgun target and with the scope i was keeping about a 5 to 8 inch group at worst with umc and the best group with ss109 was about 1 1/2 inches.
at 25 meters standing unsuported i was 2 or 3 inches low using the scope but all 10 rds of a group were easily wthin an inch and with irons they were 1 and 2 inch groups dead on bullseye.
my shooting buddy said it was good so did some others at the range but i wanted to get all the opinions from you all who shoot AR's alot.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#6]
headshots.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#7]
LOL
i like the headshots comment

i guess if u neutralize the threat then the accuracy is good enough
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:11:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yes by stock I mean no fancy stuff on it, straight out of the box. I was using 55gr umc ammo and some ss109 62gr. at 50m with iron sights i was eating out the x ring asically and with the 9x scope i was about 2 inches low.
at 100m with iron sights i was keeping them all in the black 8 9 and 10 ring or x ring depending on target and witht he scope all shots were in the 10 or x ring the bullseye.
at 200m with iron sights i was always hitting the target which was a b-8 nra 25yd handgun target and with the scope i was keeping about a 5 to 8 inch group at worst with umc and the best group with ss109 was about 1 1/2 inches.
View Quote

sounds good to me, well at least normal.  you didn't zero your scope at 100m by chance, did ya?

at 25 meters standing unsuported i was 2 or 3 inches low using the scope but all 10 rds of a group were easily wthin an inch and with irons they were 1 and 2 inch groups dead on bullseye.
my shooting buddy said it was good so did some others at the range but i wanted to get all the opinions from you all who shoot AR's alot.
View Quote

sounds typical.  i always get more random groups standing than i do sitting with the rifle benchrested.  there's a lot more to holding the rifle on target "freehand" so to speak.  plus, i have no upper body strength and after a while, tha rifle gets heavy and i get sloppy with the shots.

your rifle is fine.  your shooting ain't too bad either.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/9/2002 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Deadeye47 and I are planning on getting some of the Federal 62gr and heading back out to the range on the 20th and I will keep records of the ranges and rounds used on which targets and will try to post some on here as well as I plan on taking my digital camera and making some videos with it as well to try to post.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top