Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2002 9:33:47 AM EDT
I had a very tender one at a steak house the other day. How do they make it and about the juice?  Thanks Jay
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Ok you can kinda do this with just about any steak, but Ribeye is what you want. The secret is how it is cooked. In a restraunt it is cooked in a sham(sp?). It is basically a low heat slow cooker. You can mostly duplicate this at home with a crock pot.

Toss in all steaks and cook turn them once in the process. You can stack them but you gotta "shuffle the deck" or the middle ones will be very rare and the top and bottom ones well done.

The juice is called "Au Jui"(sp?) and can probably be found in the spice aisle as a mix.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I just have my steaks done rare and they are all tender and "juicy".
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:59:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I was on my way to "Tatjana" thread to throw my hat in the ring, but I sensed something was amiss on this thread.
DrFrige didn't tell you to also bruise then rub on Rosemary. It was either a forgivable oversight or a commy inspired plot![:D]
But the important thing is not to use table salt in the rub. It will dissolve and cause you a lot of problems. Use Kosher.
Also, "prime" rib has been graded as such. You can also get a "standing rib roast" if you don't want to pay extra for the "prime."
"Choice is the lowest grade of meat."
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I got this recipe from Cooks Illustrated, and have gotten compliments on it since then:

Allow the Meat to come to room temperature (more on the cut of meat to use later), about 4-5 hours.  

Rub the outside of the roast with olive oil and then smear spices on it--I generally keep it simple with salt/pepper/toasted onion powder and garlic, maybe a little celery salt instead of regular salt.

Put it in a large dutch oven on top of the stove, and sear each side until nicely browned.

Put the meat (bone side down if it still has the bones, on a rack if it doesn't) in a pan, put some beef broth in the bottom of the pan--not enough to touch the meat itself, just to keep a moist environment, and to be filtered later for the Au jus to go with it.  A splash of red wine is good in the broth also.

Put it in a 200 (Two Hundred) degree oven for about 30 minutes per pound.  You need a good oven thermometer to make sure of the temp.  Up to 225 is fine also.  A good in the roast meat thermometer is a great help, or a good instant read thermometer--try not to open the oven very much during the cooking.

Use the standard scale--about 120 for rare, 135 for medium, 145 for med/well, and screw you if you want a nice piece of meat done well.  It will be a little pinker than you are used to in a steak, but will be damn close to a good (you need a real prime rib oven for GREAT) prime rib in a restaurant.  Serve after it sits ONLY 5 MINUTES!!!  A regular cut of roasted meat is supposed to sit for 15-20 minutes to let the meat juices re-distribute throughout the roast, this comes out a little too cool to do that with, and doesn't need as much resting time.

The cut--a Bone-In Rib Roast (the same thing the Rib-eye steak is cut from) works good, or a boneless Rib Roast is fine also.  The bones are good for soup or for a dog to gnaw on.  If you use the boneless.  There are 7 bones (a butcher would know how they are numbered, but I am not sure) in a standard Rib Roast.  Usually you get it cut into a 3 bone roast and a 4 bone roast.  I get the one with one solid piece of meat in the center of the roast.  At the other end, it separates into 2 pieces with a layer of fat in between.  

I have tried a Select Cut from the local Grocery store, and it turns out a little tough.  Get Choice at a minimum, and if you can find Prime grade beef, DEFINITELY go with that, as it will be worth it on the table.

I serve it with the strained Au-Jus from the bottom of the pan and a creamy horseradish sauce.  (Mashed 'taters and sautee'd mushrooms go well with it also).

Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I Take the Prime Rib rub it down with my favorite seasonings then put it aside. Take rock salt (the same kind you use for making ice cream) and fill the bottom of the roasting pan till you just cover the rack. Then place the Prime rib on the rack. Finish covering the prime rib with the salt. Yes completely cover the prime with the salt. Put it in a preheated oven at 225 ish till ribs internal temp is about 130. Take the Prime rib out and brush off the salt and server with your favorite fixings.

I know it sounds funky put It turns out outstanding it probably the best recipe for Prime I've every had. And NO it not salty. The juice mix with the salt to create a cavity for the prime and all it's Juice to cook its self in.

Clinth
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 3:42:09 PM EDT
[#7]
These recipes are all fairly labor intensive.  Here's what I do:

Make a reservation at a good restaurant.  When the waitress shows up, order prime rib.

I find this yields excellent results with a minimum of effort. [;)]
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#8]
 Let roast get to room temp. Cover with lots of olive oil and salt. Rub the salt and olive oil in real good and let set for a few hours. Slow cook in oven until the internal temp is about 150. Remove from oven, cover with foil and let set for 15 min. As you can see it takes a long time to do a good prime rib.

Also, if you go out to a steak house for prime rib try to get a look at the ones coming out of the kitchen. Sometimes they run out of the slow cooked roast and will cut uncooked roast and cook it like a steak.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Could you start at the beginning?  There's was a cow wondering around my backyard when I left home, and I'd like to have prime rib for supper tomorrow night.  Just where do I cut?z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top