Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2002 11:04:08 PM EDT
I have three gun safes,The first is a 5 foot tall 32 inch wide converted jewlers safe.the second is the biggest ,It is 6 and half feet tall and it is 44 inches wide ,double door jewlers safe.
the last one is a 5 and a half foot tall,50 inch wide old jewlers safe,mossler.
I found out I can buy an older jewlers safe for about 500.00 bucks or less and convert it very easy.
You take and line the inside with 3/4 inch plywood,build a box and slip it into place and then use self tapping screws to secure the plywood to the inside of the safe.
Then you line the inside with indoor outdoor(very thin) carpet.
Next you need to install golden rods to keep out
the dampness.
The reason for the plywood is it makes it easy to install hooks and racks.
When you drill into the safe through the carpet for the shelves or racks make sure you burn the carpet where you drill,otherwise the carpet will unravel and run,use a small
soldering Iron to fuse the carpet before you drill.
If anyone here needs any help with one of these just send me instant message.
John
Look in the local papers and ask around ,alot of times people will give you one just to get rid of them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:36:15 AM EDT
[#1]
By any chance are these safes fire resistant, typically??
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 10:57:31 AM EDT
[#2]
How about drywall instead of plywood?
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#3]
misterhemi,Yes most of them have a good fire rating.

JIMBEAM, I wouldn't use drywall ,you are defeating the purpose,you want something that will hold the screws for shelving and hooks,not to mention you want to glue the carpet to the plywood.

Here's another tip for you guys,since i have done 4 of these so far,You can pick up an 18 inch florescent light kit from home depot for about 20 bucks,then you install it in the cieling of the safe.
Next if you want to doll it up,measure the inside of the door/doors and you can take the extra carpet you have left over down to any carpet store and have the edges bound and then install the carpet on the door/doors.
Link Posted: 4/7/2002 11:58:03 AM EDT
[#4]
thats an interesting idea.

i have heard of people useing old refrigerators. but havn't seen any instructions.

hehe i would like to get a commercial walk in refer and build that up, that would be "cool".
get it?
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#5]
JIMBEAM
I guess you could skip the plywood and glue the carpet to the metal inside the safe and then use self tapping screws to attach the racks and hooks you use.
Link Posted: 4/8/2002 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#6]
That sounds good. Now I need to locate an old safe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top