Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2002 10:16:54 AM EDT
Hey All,
I hope you can help. I worked a trade for 2 handguns. The seller asked for the name of my local FFL which I gave he said that he went to a website and verified that they were indeed an FFL. The seller then shipped both pistols to my FFL. The seller is NOT an FFL and when the guns got to my FFL they refused the package because they did not come from and FFL. MY FFL said that the seller had broken all kinds of state laws and the guns were probably stolen..  Were they right???    
Thanks
PC
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I beleive that a non ffl can ship to an ffl. Some do not know or do not beleive this.

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:45:20 AM EDT
[#2]
There is no FEDERAL law that requires a FFl-FFL transfer. You (non-FFL) can MAIL a long arm to an FFL. You (non-FFL) can UPS/Fedex a handgun to an FFL.  You can even send a firearm to yourself in another state, quite legally under federal law.

But SOME states require FFL to FFl transfers, and all sorts of other silliness.
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Shipping pistols are not the same as rifles.

[b]Pistol shipping must be done from a FFL dealer to a FFL dealer if pistol is crossing state lines[/b]. This is my interpretation of out-of-state firearms purchases. Rifles may go from the seller (non-FFL) to a FFL dealer then on to purchaser.

So I'd say you got good info from your FFL.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#4]
If you can ship your gun back to the manufacturer without going through a dealer, why would you need a dealer to ship to another dealer? {not flaming, asking a real informational question}
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you can ship your gun back to the manufacturer without going through a dealer, why would you need a dealer to ship to another dealer? {not flaming, asking a real informational question}
View Quote

This is a not a transfer of firearm ownership and falls under repairs of a product.

His question concerns the transfer of firearm ownership across state lines.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/3/2002 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Arrgh!

Read this:

[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b9[/url]

Link Posted: 4/3/2002 12:03:38 PM EDT
[#7]
mr_wilson,

Federal law (and few, if any state laws) require that a handgun be shipped from an FFL holder.  Also, BATF does not care about change of ownership of a firearm.  They are concerned with transfers of the firearm itself.  When you ship a firearm to a gunsmith for repair, it is a transfer.  When it is shipped back, it is another transfer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top