BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:09:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
The diversity of gun laws often amazes me.

No kidding.  When I go on road trips, it is an entire evening of research to see what I have to do in each state.

For example, when I drive to Minnesota to see some family, may well just leave the pistol at home.  Goes from being able to carry it concealed without a CCW in your vehicle in CO to encasing it in concrete and duct taping it on the roof by the time I get to MN.  

When I drive down to the Whittington Center in NM, I have to watch where the Denver AWB extends since I am bringing 30 round mags.

I can CCW all over the place in Northern Colorado, but when I get close to Denver you need a map to figure out if you're legal.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:09:55 AM EDT
[#2]
In Missouri any firearm can be transported loaded with one in the pipe by anyone not prohibited by law from owning firearms.

Rifles and shotguns must be carried in the open if the person does not have a CCW permit.  

St.Louis, North Kansas City, Cape Gerardeau and a few other places prohibit open carry of firearms but can't restrict concealed carry.

Handguns can be concealed in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle without a permit by anyone over 21 years old who legally possesses the handgun.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:11:02 AM EDT
[#3]
My wife and I were walking out of a store once when I noticed one of our uninvited southern guests looking in the window of my truck.

I was moving to get a better angle on him when he started walking off with the look of

Getting to my truck I realized what had caught his eye - I had just gotten back from the ranch and had two fully loaded
m1a magazines on my console.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes. Except on reservations which have their own laws. We're a free state and trust that people will act responsibly. (Just be here legally  )
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:11:27 AM EDT
[#5]

COLORADO = internal mag loaded okay - Rifle or shotgun....Chamber must be empty. Except fo revolver or automatic pistol  Which can be ready to go.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:14:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Good to go here.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:16:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Legal in CA, just can't be in the gun.... We can even have it on a side saddle :)
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My wife and I were walking out of a store once when I noticed one of our uninvited southern guests looking in the window of my truck.

I was moving to get a better angle on him when he started walking off with the look of

Getting to my truck I realized what had caught his eye - I had just gotten back from the ranch and had two fully loaded
m1a magazines on my console.

Sort of reminds me of my sister in law when I was visiting her. I was cautioning about the duffel bag in the guest room, my room, which had my rifle in it. She wasn't surprised.....she figured I always traveled with more than just my sidearm.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:19:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
TX, carry your longarm, locked and loaded.  you are GTG legally,

Pistol is fine as well, but needs to be concealed in car, IE not out in the open.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:21:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not in Ohio. On the way to the range, no loaded magazines allowed in the vehicle.

So you get to waste all your range time loading mags?
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:22:19 AM EDT
[#12]
IIRC here in Missouri we can toss them in the car loaded with safety off even.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:25:47 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You can drive around with a loaded M16 hanging in the gun rack of your pick up if you wanted. Properly NFA registered of course.

It is legal but you could be arrested for it. Texas law in regards to NFA items has a major flaw.
Sec. 46.05.  PROHIBITED
WEAPONS.  

(a)  A person commits an offense if he intentionally or
knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells:

(1)  an explosive weapon;

(2)  a machine gun;

(3)  a short-barrel firearm;

(4)  a firearm silencer;

(5)  a switchblade knife;

(6)  knuckles;

(7)  armor-piercing ammunition;

(8)  a chemical dispensing
device;  or

(9)  a zip
gun.

(b)  It is a defense
to prosecution under this section that the actor's conduct was
incidental to the performance of official duty by the armed forces or
national guard, a governmental law enforcement agency, or a correctional
facility.

(c)  It is a
defense to prosecution under this section that the actor's possession
was pursuant to registration pursuant to the National Firearms Act, as
amended.

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

COLORADO = internal mag loaded okay - Rifle or shotgun....Chamber must be empty. Except for revolver or automatic pistol  Which can be ready to go.

Correct it is Dept of  Wildlife regulation. You cannot however have a UNCASED rifle on a ATV loaded or not.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Up until a few years ago, I could carry my M16 locked and loaded with the safety off in the seat next to me, but I couldn't carry a concealed .22 derringer in the car w/o a CHL.

W/O a CHL, you can carry a handgun concealed now in the car.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:52:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not in Ohio. On the way to the range, no loaded magazines allowed in the vehicle.

Yes, don't get stopped with loaded magazines in the car or you are in big trouble in Ohio.

Invest in a maglula loader for at the range.

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just recently in TN. Used to be a loaded magazine was considered a loaded rifle (hello shoe-string = machine gun).

Still can't have one chambered but at least we can have the magazine in it.

I didn't know they changed it.  That's good to know!

But only if you have a HCP, correct?
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 9:00:33 AM EDT
[#19]
No problem in FL.  Round in the chamber laying on the seat is GTG.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 9:01:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, don't get stopped with loaded magazines in the car or you are in big trouble in Ohio.

Invest in a maglula loader for at the range.

Yep Ohio has an absolutely retarded "loaded" definition. If I'm not mistaken you're even in violation if you have a rifle in the car that takes the same mags as your CCW.

Hopefully we get this fixed soon as it's a huge joke.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Legal in Illinois; internal mag would need to be unloaded.

Assuming you're referring only to the passenger compartment, that's correct.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 9:10:04 AM EDT
[#22]
No, not in MD.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 9:12:42 AM EDT
[#23]
I just read through the Arkansas State Code, and it only talks about having loaded handguns in vehicles.  It does not mention rifles.  So I assume we are GTG here in the Natural State.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Texas.

Loaded rifle in car is fine.

You just can't display it "in a manner calculated to alarm."

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I just read through the Arkansas State Code, and it only talks about having loaded handguns in vehicles.  It does not mention rifles.  So I assume we are GTG here in the Natural State.

I scoured the law the last time I drove through AR, it seems I recall something about no loaded rifles in a couple of regions. I think it had to do with some game and or wildlife sections of the law but I don't remember exactly.

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just recently in TN. Used to be a loaded magazine was considered a loaded rifle (hello shoe-string = machine gun).

Still can't have one chambered but at least we can have the magazine in it.

I didn't know they changed it.  That's good to know!

But only if you have a HCP, correct?

Yep.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 9:28:54 AM EDT
[#28]
I Know, I Know!!! It's MASS.

Here you can carry all the loaded mags you want. Throw them all over the inside of the truck or car and no problem. The long gun on the other hand must be unloaded, cased and locked. Unless of course you are in the act of hunting. That means travailing with a valid hunting licence from your home to hunting spot and back. Then the gun doesn't have to be cased or locked but only unloaded. However during all this you can carry a fully loaded hand gun on your person.

See what I mean. This is MASS.  Don't make no damn sense to me either.

EBR666
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 9:52:01 AM EDT
[#29]
yes  but rifles only

loaded and chambered if wanted

they will run ya in on a game law violation if you have a loaded shotgun

from our game and parks website

It is unlawful to.....

• Have or carry a loaded shotgun in or on any
    vehicle on any highway or roadway. A shotgun
           is considered loaded if there is a shell or shells in the
    chamber, receiver or magazine.

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
No, not in MD.

Yes - you can have a loaded magazine within the vehicle in MD.  There is a letter from the A.G.'s office posted in the MD shooters forum & maybe in the hometown.

Problem is:  most police serving in MD were incorrectly trained that "loaded mag = loaded gun" and they will charge you on that basis.  Have fun getting your gun back.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

We can carry unloaded long guns in our vehicles in Utah. Unloaded = empty chamber.

I've never been hassled for my AR sitting on the backseat during traffic stops, even with the magazine in.

Yep. The same is true for ATVs as well. The law is intended to prevent people from hunting from vehicles (which is also specifically prohibited).

But, it's ok to have the magazine loaded, just not a chambered round. I'm pretty sure that's so folks with tubular magazines which take considerable time to load don't have to waste a bunch of time after they exit the vehicle.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top