User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Picture Quality on a HD CRT FAR surpasses anything else available today

My 34" Sony is down for repairs (gotta replaces 3 ICs on 2 boards in it) but it looks good enough to make that a no brainer

It was rated as a 720p set but can take a 1080p signal from a HTPC and it just looks amazing

LCDs can't do Black like a CRT

I don't know about that. I don't think any thing is as good as a high end Pioneer or Panasonic Plasma.

I have a sony XBR 34 widescreen, and the picture quality is outstanding, looks even better with professional calibration. HTPC is almost done tweaking and will move onto this set. No hdmi, but does have DVI.
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:

My 36" sanyo went out a few months ago. I put out for the trash to pick up. It was still setting there the next day and I still haven't managed to get rid of the heavy bastard. City trash sucks ass. When I lived out in the country they took anything you set out.

Put it out with a sign saying For Sale-$50. It never fails that someone will either steal it or buy it within 3 days.

Good idea but it may be tough to sell.  It snapped the tie down strap and fell off the dolly and cracked the case when I was trying to get it out of the house.  It looks like shit now.

Link Posted: 5/20/2010 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
At 250+ pounds, I guarantee no one is going to steal it, not that they'd want to.

You can sell them to folks in bad neighborhoods who are tired of having their LCDs and Plasmas stolen!
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#4]
There's a much more fun way to get rid of those things - target practice and tannerite.
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 5:17:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I picked up a 30" widescreen Sony WEGA on Craigslist.  HD video and movies look great... color quality is much better than your average LCD.

SOB is heavy though... ~150lbs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 5:25:00 PM EDT
[#6]
High-Def?  OK.  Standard definition?  
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A 40" tube TV will probably cost you more to get rid of than an entry level LCD will cost you to buy in the first place.  Maybe an overstatement but trust me that thing is going to be an immoveable monster.  Even 30"+ tube TVs are often a multi-man operation to move.

There is a good reason why someone is giving it away for free.

Yep.
I have a 32" Sony Wega flat screen crt tv.
The thing weighs right at 190 lbs.
It is virtually brand new, I've tried giving it away free but no one wants it.
Guess I just need to call Goodwill and see if they'll come over and pick it up....

No one in my area will take a CRT no matter what shape it is in.

Link Posted: 5/20/2010 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I just got rid of my "old" 36" Samsung HD CRT. The fucker was a heavy bitch
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 5:32:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I dunno about tube but I have a rear projection that was new right when HD was starting to come out.  It doesn't even have an HDMI hookup.  It supports HD but only through component cable.

Anyway, it is a world away from my new LCD TV.  I couldn't believe how much better the LCD looked.
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#10]
My TV weighs 210 pounds and is hanging from the ceiling.   It has a 9" CRT.   And two more of them.    Three 9" CRTs in a front projection unit.
It'll probably be with me for the next decade or so.  It's one of the top performing display devices in the world right here and right now even though

its manufacture date is 1997.     I rebuilt it and retubed it a couple of years ago and it's had a few performance enhancing modifications done to it.

It was capable of resolving the best that HD has to offer, BEFORE HD even existed in the consumer market.  

But then again,  it's a 40,000 dollar machine at original price.    And it's still made to this very day,  for the flight simulation industry.  The lack of

any fixed pixel structure and extensive capability for warping the image to be geometrically correct on some very interesting screen shapes

gives it certain home field advantages in that particular market.  

There isn't a part that isn't readily available for it,  should I need them.

Right now I'm gearing up for Phase III of its ongoing modifications program.   It's not CURRENTLY among the top TEN individual CRT projectors

on the planet,  though it once was.   It will be again, and soon.   If my latest new mods work out as intended, it'll be back in the top ten and

might actually make it all the way to number 1 on the picture quality list.      I'm developing new modifications that nobody else has ever put into this chassis type before.

I have no use or desire for a digital (LCD, DLP, or other) type of TV set or projector.   They do not offer a better picture compared to where I'm already at,

so why bother?

Size and weight don't bother me.   Picture quality is more important to me.   So I'll stick with my versatile CRT projectors for now.

But I wouldn't expect MOST people to think the same way.

CJ

Link Posted: 5/20/2010 5:40:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I dunno about tube but I have a rear projection that was new right when HD was starting to come out.  It doesn't even have an HDMI hookup.  It supports HD but only through component cable.

Anyway, it is a world away from my new LCD TV.  I couldn't believe how much better the LCD looked.

MORE THAN LIKELY,  your RPTV is in dire need of a thorough cleaning.   EVERY RPTV gets accumulated dust and dirt on the lenses and back mirror and often the

liquid coolant that's in the chamber between the CRTs and the lenses has grown murky.

With a coolant flush and change and a thorough cleaning,  you might be amazed at just how GOOD your old fashioned CRT RPTV may look again.

The cost to do this is pretty cheap.    If you can remove the CRT assemblies safely and correctly and take the lenses off,  drain and flush the coolant chambers (Windex

is excellent for the washout of the chamber) and reassemble it,  add baby oil or pure mineral oil as the new coolant.    The rest of the work is just a full role of paper towels

and a lens cloth or two and lots of Windex WITH AMMONIA.   20 bucks and a few hours of work can get your set back up to a really impressive picture.

There was a time when a man could make a good living doing ONLY that which I have just described.  Two or three jobs a day,  75 bucks each,  minimal costs involved.

Easy work with obvious results.

CJ

Link Posted: 5/20/2010 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a Sony Wega 27" in my bedroom and it works well and has a good

picture.

Link Posted: 5/20/2010 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#13]
sony is great my mom has a +30 year old trinitron.
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 5:52:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I humped a lot of 37" Mitsu's back in the day.
When that was the biggest tube you could get, it was the industry standard.
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey, the only TV in my house is a 32" CRT and I have no plan on getting rid of it.  Why replace it if it works fine?

This.  I've got a 32" Toshiba that I got in 97.  Still running strong with a good picture with TONS of hours being on.  Not getting rid of it till it dies.

I have a black matrix from 96", cost of maint.,  Zero dollars. They also use a LOT less energy then the new flat screens. I'll keep it til it dies.
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 7:25:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
In terms of raw picture quality, a good HD CRT is very hard to beat.

Were these mid to late 90's 40 inchers HD at all? I'm thinking not. What does CRT mean?

No, and that is why people say they aren't as good as cheap modern TV sets. I think the resolution of old school TV's is something like 480i if using modern terms. HD starts at 720p

To maximize the image of your gaming consoles today, old school TV's are fine for Nintendo Wii, but you would prefer to have 720p or greater for your PS3's and xboxes.

CRT = cathode ray tube

CRT technology has been doing "HD" for decades by the way, in the form of computer monitors. While the same tech is used in both old TV's and older monitors, the resolution was significantly greater for monitors due to many other differences I cannot type out here due to time. High quality CRT monitors still produce a better picture than most LCD's in color reproduction. LCD technology is nowhere near finished though whereas CRT is dead.
You guys saying you had large HDTV...I think those are actually Enhanced Definition, which is in between the old school 480i and HD's lowest 720p. EDTV runs at 480p(instead of 480i).

Correction to the above: I just did some looking around and apparently many companies did go hi-res with CRT towards the end of CRT life. I guess they changed from the method of regular TV and made them like computer monitors, but in TV style casings. However, you asked if this was during the mid/late 90's. That is still a no, more like 21st century only.
Live Long and Prosper! Post 1701
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 9:17:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Love my plasma wont ever look back to old heavy space consuming tubes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 9:26:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Toshiba 32" tube TV. It is 6 years old and refuses to die. I don't have to worry about repair men or delivery guys coming back, breaking in, and stealing it.  I will upgrade when it dies, but it is still running like the day it was bought.
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Have fun at physical therapy for bulging discs in the lumbar spine area.
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey, the only TV in my house is a 32" CRT and I have no plan on getting rid of it.  Why replace it if it works fine?

This.  I've got a 32" Toshiba that I got in 97.  Still running strong with a good picture with TONS of hours being on.  Not getting rid of it till it dies.

Word!  I have one too. Bought around 2002 & it was one of the last big glas tube sets.  Runs fine & won't get rid of it 'til it croaks.  Aren't some of these newer TV owners some whiney bitches?

I have a 32" Toshiba Cinema Series too. Bought it in '97 and the picture still looks great.  I have a feeling it will be around for quite awhile, as it is a very good quality tv for its day.

Link Posted: 5/20/2010 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

My 34" Sony is down for repairs (gotta replaces 3 ICs on 2 boards in it) but it looks good enough to make that a no brainer
It was rated as a 720p set but can take a 1080p signal from a HTPC and it just looks amazing

I don't know about that. I don't think any thing is as good as a high end Pioneer or Panasonic Plasma.

I have a sony XBR 34 widescreen, and the picture quality is outstanding, looks even better with professional calibration. HTPC is almost done tweaking and will move onto this set. No hdmi, but does have DVI.
Sign me up for the Sony KD-34XBR970 club.  Have had this tv about four years and it will not die.  It has HDMI and fantastic component inputs.

I wish Sony would go back to making CRT's.

Link Posted: 5/20/2010 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I still have the first series original Sony WEGA , I thought it was a 36" but it measures almost 38" diagonally,  "flat screen" crt.... one of the first commercial units with componet inputs, and I beleive the front glass was like 4" thick to be that first 'flat screen'

It weighs a SHIT-TON®  Its like 12 years old, and I always told every person that came over to my apartment, and said they wanted it,  back then   "If you can carry it out by yourself, the TV is all yours...."   Many folks tried, not a single could lift it solo    

Try to imagine going into bestbuy/circuit city / radio shack in 1999 and asking for a  "componet cable"    and imagine about 536 people handing you a composite / RCA cable   lol.....   I wont even get into the next TV with a DVI input and those cables bein non-existent at the time.  Thanks god for hdmi now.
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 10:10:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I love my Sony 40 XBR.  In HD or DVD mode it's the same size screen as a 36" TV.
Love the CRT WEGA picture.
Got it in 2004 when there was still mostly 4x3 programming.
It has DVI HD, not HDMI.
It weighs on the order of 300+ lbs.
It was funny watching 6 Japanese movers trying to lift it.
When it craps out I will go to flat panel now that progressively more programming is heading to 16x9.
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#25]
there is nothing that can compare to a properly tuned CRT setup

nothing

and yes to the poster that thinks a Panasonic lcd or plasma looks good - yes a proper CRT will blow it away

and I've viewed the 20K+ pro series Pioneers too and they also don't look as good

cmjohnson is describing a set that is the top 10 world wide for Picture Quality

read that again - top 10 in the WORLD
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#26]
My 42" plasma heats up one end of the house about 8 degrees F if my daughter watches evening TV shows. Fuk its hot in here
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 2:47:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

THIS.

Hence the reason why I am still running my Mitsubishi CRT rear pro. 73in screen, 9in CRTs, HD. Somebody paid almost $13,000 for it brand new (not me). Have a 32in Sony CRT set in the shop too.

Have seen folks pull out perfectly functional HD CRT sets from built in entertainment centers, toss them in the trash and replace them with the same size LCD. Then bitch that the picture quality isn't as good.

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 2:50:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I bought a big Mitsubishi in 35" or 37" I can't remember in 1992 when Mitsubishi gave you a rebate for being in an area affected by hurricane Andrew, why I have no idea but I took them up on it. Loved the TV and yes it weighed a lot. Maybe it was tied to hurricanes but it lasted till Katrina got it with a power spike.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 2:50:50 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

THIS.

Hence the reason why I am still running my Mitsubishi CRT rear pro. 73in screen, 9in CRTs, HD. Somebody paid almost $13,000 for it brand new (not me). Have a 32in Sony CRT set in the shop too.

Have seen folks pull out perfectly functional HD CRT sets from built in entertainment centers, toss them in the trash and replace them with the same size LCD. Then bitch that the picture quality isn't as good.

+1,absolutely!

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 2:54:30 AM EDT
[#30]
My 32" tube looks better than my 36" LCD

Won't buy a TV from walmart again.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 2:57:44 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

My TV weighs 210 pounds and is hanging from the ceiling.   It has a 9" CRT.   And two more of them.    Three 9" CRTs in a front projection unit.

It'll probably be with me for the next decade or so.  It's one of the top performing display devices in the world right here and right now even though

its manufacture date is 1997.     I rebuilt it and retubed it a couple of years ago and it's had a few performance enhancing modifications done to it.

It was capable of resolving the best that HD has to offer, BEFORE HD even existed in the consumer market.  

But then again,  it's a 40,000 dollar machine at original price.    And it's still made to this very day,  for the flight simulation industry.  The lack of

any fixed pixel structure and extensive capability for warping the image to be geometrically correct on some very interesting screen shapes

gives it certain home field advantages in that particular market.  

There isn't a part that isn't readily available for it,  should I need them.

Right now I'm gearing up for Phase III of its ongoing modifications program.   It's not CURRENTLY among the top TEN individual CRT projectors

on the planet,  though it once was.   It will be again, and soon.   If my latest new mods work out as intended, it'll be back in the top ten and

might actually make it all the way to number 1 on the picture quality list.      I'm developing new modifications that nobody else has ever put into this chassis type before.

I have no use or desire for a digital (LCD, DLP, or other) type of TV set or projector.   They do not offer a better picture compared to where I'm already at,

so why bother?

Size and weight don't bother me.   Picture quality is more important to me.   So I'll stick with my versatile CRT projectors for now.

But I wouldn't expect MOST people to think the same way.

CJ

CJ,

What kind of projector are you running? I have a Seleco HT200hd sitting out in the shop. I sadly don't have the room or time to do a projection setup so I would love to get rid of it, but would prefer to have it go to a good home. Know anybody looking for one?

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 2:59:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I have a 36 inch Sony. the motherfucker weighs over 250 lbs.  it will never be moved from its spot.

Ditto - I have mine pushed into a nook and for the life of me have no idea how I got that heavy beast placed where it currently sits.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 3:53:20 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

CJ,

What kind of projector are you running?

A HEAVILY modified Marquee 9500LC.   More mods incoming this summer.

I developed the "frankenyoke" concept  (Retrofitting different focus yokes to Marquees which are superior to the stock focus yoke, and modifying them to be an ideal match for the Marquee's driver circuitry) and we're up to 3rd generaton development on them now.      Next I'll be putting the flare, astig, and triangularity adjustments under electronic control thanks to the sudden availability of a set of CPC coils from a scrapped Sony G90.   I'll have to build my own interface for them but it's really not much of a challenge as all I need is a few carefully calibrated DC voltages.

I'm running Mike Parker's Gen II model 03P VIM and neck cards.    I soon hope to try out the new VDC production cards.

I'm working on a deal to try to get some ultra high resolution CRTs which are essentially "one of a kind", as a complete set.  They have higher resolution capacity

even than the revered P19LUG series.   They have no time on them and there's just one set...and I want it BAD.

The entire video chain is under analysis to see just how much additional bandwidth can be pulled out of that system with carefully though out modifications.  The long

term target is a full 500 MHz.  

Some of the engineering is beyond my own abilities but I have the ability to network with engineers who CAN handle it.  As long as I make them happy I can get them

to help out here and there, which is all I need.

My biggest problem is TIME.   I have too many activities to engage in and can't do all of them at once.  

CJ

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 4:13:36 AM EDT
[#34]
I still have a 27" Magnavox in my bedroom that works great.  First thing I bought with my money on boot leave in '95.

I also have two Samsung LCD's (46 & 52) that look amazing.  The CRT doesn't stand a chance.

Just this week I had to take a 53" rear projection to the dump to get rid of it.  Tried donating it, but they wouldn't take it unless it worked (only needed to have convergence amp replaced).  No hit for a free TV on craigs list, nor with a FREE sign hanging on it for two days.  To have it recycled would have cost at a minimum $42.  So I ended up just taking it to the dump which was free.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 4:18:53 AM EDT
[#35]
We just gave away our last CRT: A 1998 Zenith 25" with decent sound. It was a heavy little sucker. Nice television, but the 32" VIZIO 1080p that replaced it is much better.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 4:40:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A 40" tube TV will probably cost you more to get rid of than an entry level LCD will cost you to buy in the first place.  Maybe an overstatement but trust me that thing is going to be an immoveable monster.  Even 30"+ tube TVs are often a multi-man operation to move.

The reason I may be getting it is the family member who owns it had a stroke and will no longer be able to use it. We don't know what we are going to do with all their stuff............strokes are a truly aweful thing to happen to someone.

Well I'm very sorry to hear that.

I think my advice is still good though.  If you can get the TV out of it's current location and into the back of a truck, your next stop should be your local recycling center.  Keeping it just makes more work for yourself down the road and it's really only a matter of time before LCD TV's in that size range are a dime a dozen.

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 4:43:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Word!  I have one too. Bought around 2002 & it was one of the last big glas tube sets.  Runs fine & won't get rid of it 'til it croaks.  Aren't some of these newer TV owners some whiney bitches?

I've got a 36" Sony HD flat screen.
Got it for $900 back when a 32" plasma or lcd was twice or 3X as much.
I swear 6 months after I got it all the prices came crashing down.
It works fine though.
Weighs a ton.
I wonder how much electricity it eats up though compared to a new flat panel tv.

I have one 26" CRT left in my house.  When the power went out last summer I plugged it into my APC battery backup so I could watch some TV.  It only ended up drawing 40 watts of power and gave me a couple hours of play time iirc.

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 5:02:18 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I always wanted one growing up as a kid but they cost something like $3,000+ and weighed 200+lbs. Anyone ever had one or still have one in service? How does the picture quality compare to today's tv's? I have the chance to get a 40 inch Mitsubishi that is in very good condition for free. Are these even worth taking and using these days? It still seems like such a cool TV and they were truly the best in their day! What does the hive say about these?

P.S.
How well do these TV's work with video games like X-Box360?

Yeah, I got one.

The TV itssetl is fine.  Be predaired to get a set of guns for it @3-5 hundred installed.
NOT GOOD for video games (unless its Pac Man)

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 6:43:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.
I have a 32" Sony Wega flat screen crt tv.
The thing weighs right at 190 lbs.
It is virtually brand new, I've tried giving it away free but no one wants it.
Guess I just need to call Goodwill and see if they'll come over and pick it up....

They won't.

Most thrift stores these days will not take old tvs anymore because they can't get rid of them and end up paying to have them taken away.  

Nobody wants those old tvs. Not even poor people

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 7:25:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Sony 34" widescreen Wega XBR here......the same buddy that gave me shit about buying a CRT instead of a Plasma or a DLP has gone through 3 of them while my 50 year old technology CRT still looks perfect.

I guarantee my heavy assed CRT will outlast any plasma or lcd

My next TV will be a LED LCD.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I still have the first series original Sony WEGA , I thought it was a 36" but it measures almost 38" diagonally,  "flat screen" crt.... one of the first commercial units with componet inputs, and I beleive the front glass was like 4" thick to be that first 'flat screen'.

Going back even further, Sony earned bragging rights for having the first CRTs with a front face that only curved in ONE direction . While everyone else had picture tubes that were bulbular on the front, Trinitrons were semi-cylindrical - and that made them moar better!
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 12:56:12 PM EDT
[#42]
I still have a 38'' magnavox that has a wierd greenish tint at the top of the screen. I thought it was cool since it was the biggest TV I've ever had, plus it was free from a dumpster, obviously stolen since the coax jack was ripped out, but a little superglue fixed that. I liked it until I stepped up to the big leagues and got a 55'' Samsung LCD
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#43]
I just gave away a Sony 36" tube in perfect working condition. I'm glad I'll never have to move that thing again.  2 guys show up and they realize that they can't handle it and come back with another 2 guys and finally cart it off.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#44]
My tv is from 1994, works good enough for me.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 1:39:52 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

I always wanted one growing up as a kid but they cost something like $3,000+ and weighed 200+lbs. Anyone ever had one or still have one in service? How does the picture quality compare to today's tv's? I have the chance to get a 40 inch Mitsubishi that is in very good condition for free. Are these even worth taking and using these days? It still seems like such a cool TV and they were truly the best in their day! What does the hive say about these?

P.S.

How well do these TV's work with video games like X-Box360?

Mitsubishi made them in 35" and 40".  I had bought a 35" in 1995 and it died last year at nearly 15 years old.  It had thousands of hours on it.  A friend had the 40" which it weighed 192lbs and had its own lift handles built into the sides of the TV to move it.

This is the type that I had with the stand as well.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top