Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2002 11:36:52 AM EDT
Are you a hekahoploktaomaist?

I recently heard some news about the world's oldest person--a 114-year-old who currently lives in Japan--and started thinking about the term "centigenarian"--meaning a person who has lived a hundred years or more.

So what would you call a person who owns a hundred guns or more?  It's bad form to mix language roots, so I stuck to Greek for the entire word, and came up with:

Hekahoploktaomaist: a person who owns a hundred or more guns.  "Hekaton:" hundred, "Hoplon:" weapon, "Ktaomai:" possess.

Here is the term being used in two sentences: Are you a hekahoploktaomaist?  Hekahoploktaomaism is something I certainly aspire to, but doubt I will ever achieve.

What do y'all think?

Should someone form the Hekahoploktaomaist Society of America (HSA)?

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 11:58:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you a hekahoploktaomaist?
View Quote

No, but I play one on tv.....

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:08:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Shhh.......They are listening.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:24:03 PM EDT
[#4]
[red][b][size=6]WAIT.[/red][/b][/size=6]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Shhh.......They are listening.
View Quote

Who me?  I collect lengths of plastic pipe.  Store it underground to keep down clutter.   [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/sardonic.gif[/img]

That's my story, and I am sticking to it...

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/biggrin2.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#6]
No, but I am a Hoplophile, so that 100 mark will come sooner or later.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:40:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm not one yet.  Anyone come up with the word based in latin?  Hekahoploktaomaist is just hard to say [:)]
View Quote

I'll see what I can do in that department, too.  Yep, the Greek is a bit tough.  I'll check out the Latin.  It will begin with "Cent" for sure..."
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:50:10 PM EDT
[#8]
You best not use that word in scrabble.....I don't want to see that word on the board..
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:59:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anyone come up with the word based in latin?  
View Quote

Yes, it's Centarmahabist.  Kind of boring and monochromatic.  Then Latin is always boring and monochromatic when compared to Greek.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top