Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2002 9:40:59 AM EDT
What is the best 4-port Cable/Modem?

When I say the "best", it actually means best for the money.

Thanks for all insights.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 9:50:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Use the cable modem supplied by your ISP, provided it's not an internal or USB port model, or something else that works with your ISP (USWest/QWest used to work only with Cisco 675/678, for instance), and connect that one via Cat5 cable to a $30 to $60 hub from Linksys or any other brand-name model you can buy at your local comuter store.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 10:20:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Just to clarify, the cable modem itself is a 1 port device.  You need something else to get multiple port access.  If you're looking to buy a cable modem you need to know which ones are compatible with your service, your cable company can give you a list of compatible modems.

If you're like most cable modem users you've got 1 external address and the Linksys is absolutely the way to go if you want to connect up to 4 machines to share that 1 external address; it  uses a service known as NAT (Network Address Translation) to transparently allow you to share the line.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=273755

If you've got something like what AT&T Broadband used to call their "Home Networking Option" you've got multiple external addresses and you would just need to buy a cheap 10Mbit hub.

Link Posted: 3/25/2002 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#4]

I am currently renting my cable modem from my ISP for $10.00/month. I want to get rid of this monthly payment and just buy my own cable modem which is the first step and then hopefully get a router.

So I guess my question should have been,"If I was to replace my ISP provided Cable Modem, what would be the cheapest but most reliable brand out there?"

Really appreciate the help guys! thanks in advance.

<<<>>>
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 10:26:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So I guess my question should have been,"If I was to replace my ISP provided Cable Modem, what would be the cheapest but most relaible brand out there?"
View Quote

Punch the name of the model into the SEARCH window at ebay.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#6]
To strictly answer your question, look at the Motorola Surfboard, it has a better reputation than the 3COM POS gear (and I don't mean Packet Over Sonet either!).

You *really* want to think hard about the benefits of buying though.  If you continue to rent, your demarc is a $5 Ethernet cable; everything upstream from there is completely the responsibilty of the service provider.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:30:44 AM EDT
[#7]
You really should check your Cable Company first.  They might have special requirements in terms of hardware.  Maybe their web site will have a list of apporved cable modems.

Or perhaps they even require cable modems with DOCSIS system.

I personally have a Linksys BEFCMU10 and a DLINK DI704 router.  Bought them on ebay brand new at 91 and 61, respectively.

Friend of mine is saying to stay away from Motorola surfbaord.  He's not very happy with it.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top