Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2001 7:52:25 PM EDT
I almost want to plaster my truck from bumper to bumper in cigarette company stickers and be the "anti-truth".

I HATE THESE COMMERCIALS, I swear these ones and the new Sprite commercials have you buried up to your ears in smug annoying horses**t.

The truth ads are going around talking about giving people 50% more stuff cause "they care" for you and don't want you to get lung cancer.  It's so stupid, it leaves a taste my mouth similar to that I get with welfare people and their "what's in it for me" attitude.

Hello!  Tell people to stop smoking because it's likely to kill them, don't make it so that they expect you to give them something before they'll think of quiting smoking.  You get the feeling that government sponsorship of people who are trying to quit smoking is right around the corner, "ah... you're too sick from withdrawls to goto work?  That's okay government will supplement your income till you feel better!"

Just wait until you see some of these new commercials, they are getting some pretty heavy rotation.  In my mind these are more annoying than all the creative things these TRUTH people were doing with body bags that represented people who have died from smoking.
Link Posted: 3/21/2001 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#1]
yeah, i hate those goddamn things. every other comericial is TRUTH, or "friends, the anti-drug." they say theirs a teen smoking epidemic. well, thats all how you look at things, if your a negitave, "wet-blanket" type you might think this is a problem, but if your a "glass is half full" guy you might see it diffrentaly. they call it an epidemic, i call it population control. natural selection, if kids are to damn stupid to not start smoking with all we know today, then i dont want to pay for their wellfare.
Link Posted: 3/21/2001 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd like to add those nerve-grateing Levi's ads to this as well.  Those morons can't carry a tune and they SUCK!  Why the hell would you go on national television and humiliate yourself?
Link Posted: 3/21/2001 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#3]
i hate the sprite ones where "people" rap. the only thing i like about rap is when "gangsta-rappers" kill each other.
Link Posted: 3/21/2001 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#4]
This is your brain: [:)]

This is your brain on TV: [%|]

Any questions?
Link Posted: 3/21/2001 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I e-mailed them a few months ago about how people have the freedom of choice and that their annoying comercials only show how stupid they really are.  They responded with a short letter explaining how the cig companies are evil it was the SOS.
Link Posted: 3/21/2001 9:15:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you heard the government sponsered commercials about how cigarettes are as adictive as heroine? Now I hear nurses and doctors saying the same thing. Maybe there is a scientific study to show that, but in my real life I know people who try to quit smoking and they are irritable but nothing like a heroine user who actually looks like they are physically sick.
Link Posted: 3/21/2001 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you heard the government sponsered commercials about how cigarettes are as adictive as heroine? Now I hear nurses and doctors saying the same thing. Maybe there is a scientific study to show that, but in my real life I know people who try to quit smoking and they are irritable but nothing like a heroine user who actually looks like they are physically sick when they don't have it.
Link Posted: 3/21/2001 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you know that there was a law (or it was a proposition) that was passed in kalifornia that MAKES the cigarette industry fork money over so the state can make those stupid commercials?

It is kinda like the NRA being forced to pay for HCI anti-gun ads.
Link Posted: 3/21/2001 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Did you know that there was a law (or it was a proposition) that was passed in kalifornia that MAKES the cigarette industry fork money over so the state can make those stupid commercials?

It is kinda like the NRA being forced to pay for HCI anti-gun ads.
View Quote

I read somewhere about a law that was sponsored by Clinton that said the gun industry actually has to kick back a certain percentage of their profits to sponsor anti gun education. Also under Clinton's USF&W service money from hunting license fees (money that is supposed to be used to fund habitat for game animals, and other prohunting related programs) was used to fund anti-hunting education in public schools. Ain't government grand?

Kyle
Link Posted: 3/22/2001 12:48:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I e-mailed those "truth" farts telling them to push laws that target the young underaged smoking offenders.  Since their commercials seem so serious and all.

Also told them:

- Their commercials absolutely suck

- Cite youths at high school who openly smoke in public around school grounds

- Cite the kids if they attempt to purchase smokes

- Get a life

- Joe Camel didn't make me smoke and he's just a scapegoat

There was much more than that and I really let them have it good.

I dared them to e-mail me back with a response and the course of action they were going to take against young smokers.  

Not surprisingly, they never sent one.
Link Posted: 3/22/2001 1:27:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you see the one where they go to a "poor" neiborhood and count all the adds on the store front , then they go to the "rich" neiborhoods store and there isn't as many, and they say "Maybe it's a racial thing" Hey dumbass did the tobacco company force the store owner to put them up. These people are complete dumbasses. Lets all make the rich tobacco companies look evil they made me smoke. Bullshit they've never had to depend on tobacco to pay bills and damn sure don't know what a hard days work is like. Notice most of these people fit into the anti gun,tree hugging,PC,homo loving bunch , they're no more than a bunch of left wing libs. Oh! I wonder how much of the tobacco settlement money went to this crap and not back to the farmers , bunch of dumbasses!
Link Posted: 3/22/2001 1:35:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Is tobacco still a government subsidized crop?
Link Posted: 3/22/2001 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#13]
These commericals are part of the settlement. They pay for them to be aired.  Its utter bullshit.  What a waste of money.  
I am just waiting for the anti-gun ones to start airing.
c-rock
www.illinois-shooter.org
Link Posted: 3/22/2001 6:56:10 AM EDT
[#14]
yeah the truth ads are utter BS if they want to stop teen smoking go after the real problem the demand not by sueing the cig compmanys to make your bs commercials most teens just blow off the commercials anyway "yeah right thats only a commercial" also if you want to smoke go ahead its none of my busniss what you do to your body same with other stuff ie druggs ramble ramble ramble. the one main preventiev thing that keeps me from smoking is when i look at all the money i can spend on ammo instead of on smokes
Link Posted: 3/22/2001 7:32:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Yeah....I'm with C-Rock,when does the anti-gun and anti-hunting ones start?
Link Posted: 3/22/2001 7:40:41 AM EDT
[#16]
We are having a real problem here around the univ. campus of people putting the TRUTH stickers all over peoples storefronts, drive thru machines, atms etc. I guess doing something harmful to your own body on your own accord is wrong but vandalism is ok, dumbasses.

Also their newest one they single-out blacks in public to talk to, and tell them that "cigarettes give black smokers lung cancer at a 50% higher rate than whites" WHAT???? These I'm guessing leftists are the ones that keep screaming for tolerance and racial harmony, yet they are ALWAYS the ones trying to divide us by color, however small that division is it's always there in whatever they talk about, it could be toilet-paper preferences "well the black users of charmin.." the word is AMERICAN not black not white, AMERICAN.

Do we have a doctor in here? 50% higher rate is an awful big number, I'd think from my little tiny bit of knowledge that'd mean there has to be some kind of genetic prediposition, and wasn't there a study just recently saying that
genetic differences between an average black man and an average white man were normally no more varied than the differences between two men of the same color?
Link Posted: 3/22/2001 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd like to add those nerve-grateing Levi's ads to this as well.  Those morons can't carry a tune and they SUCK!  Why the hell would you go on national television and humiliate yourself?
View Quote

I guess it's embarassing enough to go on tv paid by a gun-grabber company like levis, probably being broadcast on a gun-grabber network, that shit...why not go all the way?
Link Posted: 3/22/2001 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Both the feds and state each gets $1+ tax per pack sold.  The cig. manu. gets something like $0.30 per pack.  Instead of banning cigs. they sue the manufactures for their profits.

Then what do we get, Dumb adds.
Link Posted: 3/22/2001 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By H   E  -  M   A   N:
Have you heard the government sponsered commercials about how cigarettes are as adictive as heroine? Now I hear nurses and doctors saying the same thing. Maybe there is a scientific study to show that, but in my real life I know people who try to quit smoking and they are irritable but nothing like a heroine user who actually looks like they are physically sick.
View Quote

No slam, just a point. I have quit smoking & you are sick without it for a while. there was a thread here yesterday about quitting. Most of us use a patch or something to quell the withdrawals. Make no mistake nicotine is a powerful substance. I knew a junkie once who told me honestly that Cigs were tougher to kick than heroin. He never made it off smokes. It is about personal descisions, no doubt, but the tobaco companies are scum.
Scott
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top