Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2002 7:34:57 AM EDT
I watched this last night and thought it was pretty good until the end which I found very disturbing. I'll tell you this much, it does nothing for the reputation of LEO's. I see that a lot of them are touchy about things that make them look bad (especially on this board and others) so they should be freaking out about this show. Any comments?
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I thought it was pretty cool. I especially liked the part where he beat the shit out of that child rapist with the phone book! [BD]

The end had me sayin WTF?????
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I watched this last night and thought it was pretty good until the end which I found very disturbing. I'll tell you this much, it does nothing for the reputation of LEO's. I see that a lot of them are touchy about things that make them look bad (especially on this board and others) so they should be freaking out about this show. Any comments?
View Quote

First, it does nothing for or against the reputation of LEOs because it is [b]fiction[/b].  The type of person who's opinion of real life events is affected by fictional television shows is the type of person who's opinion isn't worth a bucket of warm spit.

I thought that the premier episode was well written and superbly acted.  The most intriguing character, in my opinion, was Detective Wyms, played by CCH Pounder.

This all being said however, I think that the premier episode is the last one that I shall watch.  I am not naive enough to believe that there are no dirty cops out there, but there are so many more out there who are busting their asses 24/7 trying to make things better.  These cops get little attention and less support, so I see no point wasting my time with a show like "The Shield."
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 9:06:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Nimrod1193, I must disagree with you, fiction or not putting bad cops on TV tends to reinforce perceptions that are already out wether they are valid or not. Don't you remember the scandal that the LAPD had not too long ago (one among many) in which many cops were charged with everything from corruption to murder. Look at what a movie like "Platoon" did for reputation of Vietnam vets. If there is just small amount of truth to something and it is played up in a movie or TV show it makes it more real for many. Unfortunately that is the world we live in. Many of us realize that the vast majority of LEO's are good guys but a show like this does nothing to help their image. I agree that people who form their opinions from TV shows are worthless and ignorant but there seem to be more and more of them everyday. I do not know if I will watch another episode myself. I have a big problem with a show who's main character is a scumbag who kills his own. Make's Tony Soprano look like a honorable man.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 10:35:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
...Look at what a movie like "Platoon" did for reputation of Vietnam vets. If there is just small amount of truth to something and it is played up in a movie or TV show it makes it more real for many. Unfortunately that is the world we live in. Many of us realize that the vast majority of LEO's are good guys but a show like this does nothing to help their image. I agree that people who form their opinions from TV shows are worthless and ignorant but there seem to be more and more of them everyday...
View Quote

Point granted.

I also felt that killing the informant was completely out of character for Detective Mackey.  Any person who is smart enough to organize the type of criminal enterprise that he has would have to know that murdering an informant ([b]especially[/b] one with a badge) is the worst thing that he could do.  It brings down far too much heat when his organization relies on getting results and staying off of HQs radar screen.  Far better to play the informant or use the political influence Captain Aceveda alluded to to get rid of him.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 1:54:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I watched it...it was kick ass until the end when the cop was shot. Blew the whole thing.

As far as the charcter being a bad cop.....
he was getting the job done, and that my friends is effective police work!!!!

-Drug dealer/strip search. What was the problem? He ran, you gotta pay'em back  for running from you.

-Child molester/interrogation. Hey, it worked didn't it. Who cares if a shithead gets ruffed up a little?

Taking money from a drug dealer is not cool, nor is shooting a cop. Save for those two things, we would be a lot better off if police were able to dish out that kind of street justice.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 3:34:45 AM EDT
[#6]
we would be a lot better off if police were able to dish out that kind of street justice.
View Quote

YOur kidding right?  Or is the second amendment the only one you care about?
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 5:35:09 AM EDT
[#7]
I liked it for what it was. Entertainment. The shooting of the rat didn't bother me at all. It was something to build this character up as a soiled angel of vengence.

Do I think this is a true to life show? Not too sure how long this "badass" cop would last shaking down dopers. Someone would help him achieve room temperature after too much of that shit, I think.
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 5:46:59 AM EDT
[#8]
The snitch cop (a member of an elite police unit) was shot by the drug dealer in a wild shootout during a drug bust. Too bad, but shit happens and he will be buried with honors.

And as far as LEOs freaking about this TV show, there is plenty of real life stuff to freak about:

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=101189[/url]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top