Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2002 7:07:48 AM EDT
I know I could never replace my babies in the event of theft, but how do I insure my guns with my insurance company. I would call them and ask...but I don't want to alert anybody to the fact that I am an *evil* gun owner if I dont have to. Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#1]
You need an additional rider to cover your weapons, also best to have pictures and replacement vales before consult w/ insurance agent. Safes and other security measures will reduce or get you a discount with most reputable insurance companies.

My 2 cents,
Mike
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:31:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Ditto to what Mr. Wilson said.  My insurance company provided coverage for "sporting equipemt" up to $2000.00 I had to purchase a rider for anything over that.  I provided them with a list of the waepons make, model, and value.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:59:08 AM EDT
[#3]
1. Check your existing homeowner's or renter's insurance policy.  Some cover firearms under "unscheduled personal property" up to their current value or replacement value in accordance with the rest of the policy.  Unless the policy specifically excludes firearms or specifically places a deductible on them, they're already covered.  However, if your collection is valuable you might want to get a rider as discussed by others.  (I have enough unscheduled personal property coverage to replace all of my firearms, computer equipment, cameras, tools, etc.)

2. If you aren't already a member, consider joining the National Rifle Association.  NRA membership includes some insurance for theft or loss of firearms.  It's only $1000, but worth thinking about.

[url]http://www.nrahq.org/givejoinhelp/membership/[/url]

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:03:54 AM EDT
[#4]
state farm insurance co is very NRA friendly.  i purchased renters insurance that covered 2500.00 and got that upped to (i'm not telling you) for free.  plus, they took about half of my renters insurance off of my car insurance, so i'm only paying like 15.00 a month for excellent coverage (500.00 deductible.)  take pictures with serial numbers and place them in several safe places (one outside your home with someone you trust)
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:15:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Well. It just so happens that State Farm is my insurance company. I just got off the phone with them and quietshoez is correct. They said that I am covered under my normal insurance policy and assured me that I would be taken care of should somebody come in and jack my safe out to the uhaul. less the 250 deductable. She also told me that I should keep pics and serial #s in a very safe place, but they are not required to be filed at the office. Thanks everybody.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Three words:

Collectibles Insurance Agency
P.O. Box 1200-SGN
Westminster, MD 21158
1-888-837-9537
[url]www.collectinsure.com[/url]

Hope that helps.

Jarhead94
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:00:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Three words:

Collectibles Insurance Agency
P.O. Box 1200-SGN
Westminster, MD 21158
1-888-837-9537
[url]www.collectinsure.com[/url]

Hope that helps.

Jarhead94
View Quote

What a deal this place has! Seems very reasonable.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:46:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I had an Allstate homeowners policy, and my 'sporting equipment' was only covered up to like $1,000.  They were willing to issue an upgrade, but I had to provide a description of each firearm, including serial numbers.  Forget that.

Instead, I got a policy through the NRA.  They just want to know the total value of the covered property.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Doesn't NRA provide some insurance for your guns?
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 10:15:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Keep a list of all of your serial numbers. WHile you can "report" a weapon as stolen, it can't get entered into the big national file of stolen guns unless you have the serial number.

Seriously, I was just talking to an ATF agent the other day, and she made the comment that a "responsible" gun owner (and the agent included herself) always kees a serial number list of all of their weapons. I can not begin to tell you how many dirtbags I have encountered with stolen weapons, but the guns weren't reported as stolen becuase the owner didn't know the darned serial number. It takes a couple of months to do a trace on a weapon, and I usually wind u talking to Joe Gunowner who says "Yeah, my pistol got stolen two years ago in a burglary, but I didn't know the serial number." The dirtbag will still get charged with the stolen gun, but most of the time they have already disappeared when you finally get the warrant three months later.

Keep a list of all of serial numbers for anything expensive, not just guns. Engrave your Driver's License number (not your SSN) prominenetly in at least two places on every item of property that you own that is worth more than $25. That is basic crime prevention, and about the only way you will ever get any of your proerty back if it is stolen. And before I get flamed, I am not suggesting putting your DL # on your guns, but I have done it to magazines.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:04:28 PM EDT
[#11]
The girlfriend and I have Farmers, and our renters policy covers EVERYTHING in the house with a $500 deductible. Even asked the agent if this included guns-she said yes, but take pictures of them, record the serial numbers, and store in 2 different places. This policy IS tied in with our vehicle & boat insurance. Damn good rate, too.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#12]
State Farm, the not so pro-gun company........[url]http://www.scfirearms.org/garya.htm[/url]

[blue]FYI[/blue]
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
State Farm, the not so pro-gun company........[url]http://www.scfirearms.org/garya.htm[/url]

[blue]FYI[/blue]
View Quote

OH GREAT!
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Reading your policy is a real great idea.
Lots of stuff gets hidden in there, not just about guns.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#15]
You don't always [I]have to [/I] have an "additional rider" or "personal article floater" to have your firearms insured.

As usual, you should contact your insurance company, but here is what I found by calling mine, USAA:

1. The personal article floater was great because it could have a lower deductible than the rest of the homeowners policy, and it could cover stupid things like "I left my gun at the range overnight and it wasn't there when I went back for it"  The downside to the P.A.F. is that they wanted a complete listing and appraisal of all firearms to be insured, and sales receipts.  You're obviously privacy conscious, so this may not be the route for you.

2. [I]My [/I] standard home-owners policy covers all my firearms, without having to give all my private information to the insurance company.  I had to be sure to document everything I had in pictures and lists of S.N., but that stays in my fire-safe and in my safe-deposit box.

In the event of a loss I calculated that the higher cost of the homeowners deductible would be offset by not having the additional monthly cost of the P.A.F. if nothing was stolen in two years.

YMMV.  Seek professional advice.

Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:50:48 PM EDT
[#16]
well ladies and gentlemen, I am an insurance agent by profession and an avid gun enthusiast. I would be more than willing to discuss any questions you might have in concern with this issue. send me an email or personal message and I will give you my office number.

Ian
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top