Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2002 4:14:42 AM EDT
my computer is new, built in January of this year, wyth all the latest up grades & full of gigabytes, etc., when surfing the.net it is so slow i get page not found because it, as i was told, "...times out..."

when i first got it, it was so fast i cudn't keep up wyth it, now i sit & wait more than i read.....

i am on a dial up modem & connect at 26,400b, which is shytty, but it's the best i have ever gotten, i live in a remote area & the telephone Co. tells me they only gurantee phone service, there is no other service i can get other than satelite.

i have Norton anti virus 2002 & it says i am virus clean, so what can i do to speed up this snail ??

i run W-98......., any help out there ??

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 4:39:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Is your PC slow loading all websites or just AR15.com? Reason I ask is because this website has been running awfully slow lately. I too thought it was my connection but when visiting other sites they loaded almost instantly.

Try going to tools....internet options....clear history. Yes, your PC stores every site you've been on. Then perhaps go to system tools and defrag your hard drive. Takes a bit of time to do and you'll have to re-boot after completed. Basically this puts all your files back in order and should make your PC run a bit quicker.

Sounds like your PC is still under warranty and if all else fails try calling tech support.
Yeah I know.....it's a last resort. Your approximate wait time is 50 minutes! Good Luck

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:04:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Code39,

it is slow on all surfing, but much slower on AR15.com, i call the local shop who custom built this thyng & all they tell me is that it is my phone line connection, i try to clear history & temp. i-net files two or three tymes a week, i tried to defrag, but the puter refuses to do so, so sometyme this week it is going back to the shop....

will some installed software slow i-net surfing ? the shop told me a few days ago to uninstall "Adobe Photoshop Elements", "...it is a hog on disk space & scatters files all over your HD..." is what they told me, i told them that if this peice of crap is not capable of running big programs they done somthyng wrong !!!!

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:31:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Well it very well could be your phone line and a slow connection. I wonder how much free space you have left on your hard drive??
You know, you could have the shop that built it install a larger HD? If that is the problem.
Wonder how fast your PC would run on another connection.??
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:55:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
my computer is new, built in January of this year, wyth all the latest up grades & full of gigabytes, etc., when surfing the.net it is so slow i get page not found because it, as i was told, "...times out..."

[red]when i first got it, it was so fast i cudn't keep up wyth it[/red], now i sit & wait more than i read.....

i am on a dial up modem & connect at 26,400b, which is shytty, but it's the best i have ever gotten, i live in a remote area & the telephone Co. tells me they only gurantee phone service, there is no other service i can get other than satelite.

i have Norton anti virus 2002 & it says i am virus clean, so what can i do to speed up this snail ??

i run W-98......., any help out there ??

View Quote

I am confused-- when you first got it, it was supposedly really fast, that you could not keep up with it. 26.4K is SLOW. I use that speed every day to check my email and www.JobRelatedStuff.com. You need to check with your phone company or internet provider. Try NetZero and see if you get a better connection.

Right now, I call into a 33.6K connection, but mostly connect at 26.4K or 24.0K.

When I use NetZero, and I can get 56K, with their advertisements. If you want a way to remove NetZero's banners and have more than 10 hours a month, pay the $9 or so per month and have a mini banner, which is way better than AOL's crap.
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 11:22:30 AM EDT
[#5]
will call waiting cause problems ??

if so,i just found out about an hour ago during a F.Day phone call from my son & i heard three fast tones three separate tymes, after i hung up, my SIL called & said she tried calling, "the phone rang, but no one answered, & i got worried..." soooooo.., apparently i have call waiting & i never ordered it !!

Code39,
i have a newly installed 40 gig HD, the 20G went bad, is it possible that is the problem ? that is about when my puter slowed down !! also, can, or do different mfgrs. of modems (int.) make any difference ? my puter shop uses a very cheapo modem, saying, "there's no difference", which i find hard to belive, to me it's lyke having a good scope vs a Leapers, [:D]

Energizer,
trust me ol pal, to me 26,400b is FAST !! i have called the phone service Co. & they tell me that due to my remoteness, they only gurantee adequate phone service, we are calling about a dedicated line tomrw.  

i'd slit my wrists b4 i went to AOhelL [:D]

Link Posted: 6/16/2002 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Could be; I had this problem in the college dorm.  I didn't know we had call waiting, but it turns out that it was making me lose connection a lot.  If it beeps your line, it might just confuse the modem for a while until it synchronizes with the remote modem again (possibly at a lower speed!)

also, can, or do different mfgrs. of modems (int.) make any difference ? my puter shop uses a very cheapo modem, saying, "there's no difference", which i find hard to belive, to me it's lyke having a good scope vs a Leapers, [:D]
View Quote

Absolutely.  A cheap modem uses your computer's main CPU to do all the analog->digital signal processing, which isn't easy.  I had a celeron 700 MHz system that would have 75% cpu usage when I was online with the modem!  If I did something else that was cpu-intensive, the modem would often hang up!
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Dosen't sound like your hard drive.
Wondering if after your new HD was installed
if somehow your modem was not properly configured. Meaning....you can have a 56K modem
but if it isn't configured to run 56K???

I gave my brother in-law my old PC. 56K modem installed. About a week later he told me how slow it was! I stop at his place. Seems when he installed his Juno ISP software and they were asking about his connection he had no idea what they were asking and he had it configured to run at like 9K! Yeah slow.

Eventually one of the PC guru's on the board will come to our rescue! I thought you would have had much more help than this.
Hell I drive a fork lift for a living!
Good Luck!

[
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Code39,

Forklift...??

hell, i am a former jet engine mechanic & gunsmith !!

Fizassist,

do you thynk maybe a "stand alone" modem will help ?, my second computer has a USR & it is faster than this one..., in some ways.., i was thynking bout going out & buying a US Robotics & installing it myself..., thanx for that info, as i said they use El Cheapo modems......!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#9]
CJ!!  Ya need to put this on the General Forum..   No one comes up here..  The geeks and gurus all hang out there...
Link Posted: 6/16/2002 5:19:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

if so,i just found out about an hour ago during a F.Day phone call from my son & i heard three fast tones three separate tymes, after i hung up, my SIL called & said she tried calling, "the phone rang, but no one answered, & i got worried..." soooooo.., apparently i have call waiting & i never ordered it !!

Code39,
i have a newly installed 40 gig HD, the 20G went bad, is it possible that is the problem ? that is about when my puter slowed down !! also, can, or do different mfgrs. of modems (int.) make any difference ? my puter shop uses a very cheapo modem, saying, "there's no difference", which i find hard to belive, to me it's lyke having a good scope vs a Leapers, [:D]

Energizer,
trust me ol pal, to me 26,400b is FAST !! i have called the phone service Co. & they tell me that due to my remoteness, they only gurantee adequate phone service, we are calling about a dedicated line tomrw.  

i'd slit my wrists b4 i went to AOhelL [:D]

View Quote

If you have call waiting and don't know it, and someone is constantly calling you while you are online, then yes, that may interfere with your transmissions. Dial the call-waiting block code when making outgoing calls on the computer-- check with the phone company for the code (usually its #70 or *70).
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 12:00:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Energizer,

the "phone guy" was here Monday & checked thyngs out, he replaced a "suspicious feeder line", but the speed & reaction tyme is intermitten & hard to trouble shoot, he said there is no call waiting, but told us to "log" the tymes & date when we hear that 3 beep tone.....

bigyeti,
thanx for the tip, but i have almost resolved myself to this slow connection till my satelite co. hooks me up in a "few months"......, yaa right !!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top