Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Very cool thread makes me want to build an RC truck
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:57:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, started to move it to start painting and then expand it, it is in an old house that is a shop/storage/man cave house, so lots of cleaning to do still
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Found this D.A.T. hiding out in the Jiffy Lube

Attachment Attached File

Built it back in 93 I think

Next will be to expand it along the back wall and hopefully make a running stream , as part of it
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 8:58:07 AM EDT
[#3]
It is currently 4 ft X 10 ft
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 8:25:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#4]
Got some time to put a little paint down....and bought more foam ...going to expand...just no time for fun...crazy!

Eta...apparently my tablet doesn't have pics...will post from phone..sorry Yall
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:47:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#5]
Got to work on the course some, bought a bunch of 2x4's and moar foam, will get pics this week hopefully

Went and played a little until I snapped off a rear axle...

Attachment Attached File

I replaced it with a set of S.S. axles, also replaced the broken steering servo with a rampcrab and wow lots better response

Attachment Attached File

Spent the weekend cleaning the old kitchen, fixed sink and old dishwasher....next is to start to build the 2x4 frame work to support the course it is 48 X 156, it will run down the other wall also...you can see the kitchen disaster during video below...this became a storage/junk holding place while we went and still are going through our parents belongs after my dad and her mom passed in the last 2 years

I will try to add more pictures...this weekend.

Link Posted: 1/8/2024 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Guess I should of done both...Attachment Attached File

I need to order 2 more buckets of "mud"....it's slick. Then empty and paint it...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/1/2024 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Started painting some, went to lowes asked the kid for the cheapest satin paint that can be colored....what for Sir? An rc course, cool.....12.95 a gallon, 1 green and 1 brown
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

And some of the cheapest brushes....

I need to get some pictures with something other than a glorified flip phone

So I'm down until tomorrow....

Was doing this line.....
Attachment Attached File

When I stripped the front ring gear/pinion....it was really bouncing and bound up......it had previously popped a tooth or two...
Attachment Attached File

But truck is 3x heavier than stock, it breaks in order.....so, next will be the ? I guess plastic axle housings or plastic t-case housing....

And for folks un familiar with rc vehicles....here is front end apart to replace the gears...

Attachment Attached File

Top picture is factory plastic gears, bottom one has heat treat D2 stripped gears...
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 8:09:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hooligan223] [#8]
Nice job, OP.  Your course is looking good.  My son and I have a couple Axial 1:24 crawlers and have a blast with them.  We talked about building an indoor course but lost the motivation.  We do a fun one in the yard that we change uo when it gets too easy.  Maybe one day we'll get thst indoor course built.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dopple:
Hopefully later today I can start building my Tamiya racing fighter (dt03 chassis). Going to use an old mrc 75mhz am radio with it.  Last model rc I had was a tamiya falcon.
View Quote

We built two of those kits last year and it's a fun kit that's pretty straightforward to assemble.  I think you'll enjoy it.  My only regret is not doing mine in box colors, I did green instead. Be warned, it's addictive.  I just finished a Kyosho Turbo Optima Gold and we're working on finishing up my son's Tamiya  TT-02D Skyline. I'm shopping for my next kit now.
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 11:15:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks! It gives my mind and my friends a place to chill and decompress....

I threw more stuff away and started on additions...2 more 2x4 ft panels.
Attachment Attached File

AND NO The toy truggy is not stuck in the foam...
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#10]
So I bought this girl the other day
Attachment Attached File

Here she was yesterday....
Attachment Attached File

And this afternoon
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/9/2024 6:00:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Started on the extra track pieces
Attachment Attached File

Tomorrow will be more prepping for plaster mat
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Corks glued down, hope for some time tomorrow to do some plaster clothe
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:03:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Worked 💪 on the rover some...
Attachment Attached File

I need to find tires next, this may be rough
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:05:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Black down.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:09:06 PM EDT
[#15]
1st coat on...
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Working on this. Lazy dad day...
Attachment Attached File

The color I chose was...it's adorable more orange in person with naked eye...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#16]
2nd coat on body....started to weather exo..before install
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/12/2024 6:37:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Modified layout with bigger stumps, it was way to easy setup on counter to stove transition
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Went to work on the rover and discovered.?.oops.....roof was not supposed to be black..Attachment Attached File

It really is more orange in person....the paint is actually 2 different hughs/colors, just using 2 different spray guns and build up over the medium grey
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Poser shot.....
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Up close....
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2024 3:49:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bansil] [#22]
Disclaimer! This is my 1st paint like this, please be gentle

Started the race with a clean camel trophy paint and black exoskeleton.

After the 1st section of clay like mist coated the truck and between mud spray and muddle splashes....her she sits....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Need to satin clear tomorrow and find my old oil paints....if I have them still

Race book says next section is dusty and some creaks etc...

I'm going to try to cut out the door sticker mask now....so stickers are cutting.

If anyone is watching this.....should I use the vinyl as a mask or use it as a sticker,on,? Plan is a mask, hopefully the satin clear will hold up to vinyl glue, only have oracle 651 to mask....may just do a sticker so it looks like a magnetic sign....
Well stupid that won't work on an aluminum body.

Link Posted: 2/17/2024 7:04:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Worked on a trailer for it, its a retired racer after all.......
Attachment Attached File

1st coat on trailer, wheels are done with base, semi gloss sprayed, ready for a wash.....I have oil paint kit thing coming Tuesday...that should
interesting...
So wheels are stock ,trailer has a 6 inch lit for the tires, I 3d printed racks, simple file off thingaverse.....
Link Posted: 2/18/2024 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Ran out of paint

1 am last night ...I ordered moar....2nd week of March

Bitchees need stitches  need to hit up hobby shop next week..
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Worked another piece of the track

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Broke another stock rear driveshaft...need to install S.S. ones

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 8:32:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Started to weather the 1973 Rhodesian military trailer for the ex trophy truck.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Need to satin clear it today for next step of washes.....we will see how this goes,been watching YouTube

Here are both together

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:35:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Added more mud
Attachment Attached File

Got the wheels painted and brown washed, need to clear for weathering
Attachment Attached File

Stock v/s what I'm doing.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:12:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By bansil:
Added more mud
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/388306/20240229_202039_jpg-3146764.JPG

Got the wheels painted and brown washed, need to clear for weathering
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/388306/20240229_195347_jpg-3146765.JPG
Stock v/s what I'm doing.
View Quote

@bansil what is the "mud" made out of?

Might be getting a TRX4M soon.

I did the SCX24s hard for a while, even did a comp. The 4M seems to be more ready to go out of the box than the Axials, I would start with the crawler gears, maybe wrap a little lead in the wheels, and leave it alone.

Leaning Bronco, the High Trail trucks are gorgeous but   loose to the Bronco because of their higher CGs on sidehills and climbs/descents.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By flynbenny:

@bansil what is the "mud" made out of?

Might be getting a TRX4M soon.

I did the SCX24s hard for a while, even did a comp. The 4M seems to be more ready to go out of the box than the Axials, I would start with the crawler gears, maybe wrap a little lead in the wheels, and leave it alone.

Leaning Bronco, the High Trail trucks are gorgeous but   loose to the Bronco because of their higher CGs on sidehills and climbs/descents.
View Quote

@flynbenny
They are airsoft beebees...

Seriously you can go down a rabbit hole with these, I have 4...been working on a land rover, hope to have more pictures soon.

They are like real trucks, 31gram wheels? She'll stick but you ring off plastic drive shafts
, metal drive shafts mean...plastic axles and ring/pinion....smoked

It roughly based on an older ex-Camel trophy truck, piloted by enthusiast...his trailer broke down so he bought a 1973 Rhodesian military trailer off a farmer in Afrika.
Basically practicing different paint technics.
It will be stock for now except the wheels...
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By bansil:

@flynbenny
They are airsoft beebees...

Seriously you can go down a rabbit hole with these, I have 4...been working on a land rover, hope to have more pictures soon.

They are like real trucks, 31gram wheels? She'll stick but you ring off plastic drive shafts
, metal drive shafts mean...plastic axles and ring/pinion....smoked

It roughly based on an older ex-Camel trophy truck, piloted by enthusiast...his trailer broke down so he bought a 1973 Rhodesian military trailer off a farmer in Afrika.
Basically practicing different paint technics.
It will be stock for now except the wheels...
View Quote

That's a great idea for "clean" mud. I built a small course for the SCX24s I had at one time, I had a box on top of part of it with ramps in and out of it that had actual rocks from my yard in it.

I have been following your build of the ex Camel truck. I am struggling with my weathering techniques on aircraft so my hat is off to you.

I for sure don't want to fall into the hole like I did before, my wife was like "you can keep doing crawlers or doing rc sailplanes, pick one"... I chose the sailplanes (Pinepig can relate I think).

My daughter and I each have a Slash for tearing up the tracks locally, for whatever reason I haven't modded either ever. But I'd like to get a crawler I can run in the yard at home or on vacation, but one that I must resist the temptation to modify too much. The TRX4M out of the box seems better and more capable than the SCX24s, those the tires are so bad they remind me of the plastic dovetail protectors (aka sights) Glock ships most of their guns with. My Deadbolt at the end was probably 40% what came in the RTR.

Of course the whole crawler ecosystem is built on the parts buying break other parts buy more better parts cycle, maybe I can be a little more careful this time...

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Aircraft is amazingly different...those guys blow my mind.

Here is were I sit right now , some will say it's over mudded, but damn I've been in this weather,mud,sun,rain,mud....whiping of med...
Still have to weather stock bumpers...they look ai in the pictures
Attachment Attached File

Still have work on trailer internals
Attachment Attached File

Left hand drive windshield dirt is driving me crazy....try again next week for a mask
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:31:27 PM EDT
[#32]
...so..rabbit holes???I'm doing 1:10vthis summer/fall it's cheaper than $125K for a rock bouncer....I miss Tellico days... on lower 2 and guardrail
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 4:02:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Off road vehicles are nuts in cost. So do RC crawlers and race cars instead! (They are only sorta nuts in cost)

I got a TRX4M, the "Area 51" Bronco. Re-geared to the crawl transmission and installed a "real" spare tire over lunch hour. I gave it a little grease and the diff ring gears also too.

Much easier to work on than my SCX24s I had previously. It feels way more solid too, and my non-technical wife can figure out how to take the body on and off and do the battery much easier than the little Axials.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Biggest hurdle I have now is with the Injora low diff gears, I stripped another set out. They now come with spacers to attempt to set back lash on both ring gear and the pinion
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top