User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Damned Germans!  They got it down to a fine art!  Hahah!

They are just now coming out with the HO scale R/C cars and trucks (and doing a great job), so none of that was
ever incorporated into my layout.  But I'm a one-man operation here, and can't drive trains and road vehicles at
the same time, so none of that was ever incorporated into my layout.

But amazing the things that can be done.
View Quote

Faller Car System has been around for a while.  But almost all European trucks/busses and some smaller cars.  No reason why American vehicle bodies couldn’t be put on the frames though.  So it’s more like an automated system and shouldn’t require any level of control or operation like the trains.  Could be as simple as a car or truck that just travels. A loop.  But they can also turn off and park.

The faller system in used on the Miniatur Wunderland in Germany.   I’ve watched some of the videos On youtube .  It’s a massive undertaking or a display, and I think it cover a couple floors of an old warehouse building.  It would have to be pretty much a destination unto itself for a visit to Germany It’s so huge with so many details, animations, etc.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Im envious, awesome layout.

If I may, look into "Servo slow" units for your switching servos.

It will slow them down realistically and get rid of the skeech skeech of the servo gears.

servo slow
View Quote

GREAT SUGGESTION!!!  Will order two of these soon!  

They use the same plugs/sockets as the servos I use, which are Futaba J-type (same as JR and others).  So these will plug in quickly and
easily.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That is really well done. You should dirty up the engines some more. Way too clean to be espee
View Quote

Espee locos came from the factory pre-weathered.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:19:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Very nice!

One suggestion - a lot of the buildings have great detail (aka grime/soot/etc) on the roofs and equipment bay doors, but the human doors are spotless... a little grime on those doors, with an emphasis on the handle/grab/push areas would take the realism up a notch.
View Quote

See, guys?  I do listen to your suggestions and appreciate all!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Brass tubing still sitting on my desk... need to make those trash cans.  Will only take a few minutes.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 6:48:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

See, guys?  I do listen to your suggestions and appreciate all!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/344396/Grimy_Door_1_JPG-1650602.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/344396/Grimy_Door_2_JPG-1650604.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/344396/Grimy_Door_3_JPG-1650605.JPG

Brass tubing still sitting on my desk... need to make those trash cans.  Will only take a few minutes.
View Quote
Need a thumbs up or like button.

Your posts inspired me to get to banging mine out, excellent time to with a Dark Winter coming.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 11:24:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to you all for the kind comments!

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:50:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Beautiful job.  Excellent detail and very well done.  I did notice one thing missing though:  Most places like those that I have been in always have a 50-gallon barrel sitting beside personnel doors for trash, and they are frequently full to overflowing.  Just some food for thought ;)
View Quote

Done!  From brass tubing.  Thanks for pointing out this deficiency.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#8]
So, in answer to kallnojoy and SACraig, they had pointed out two deficiencies... lack of grime around
door knobs, and that just about every industrial place has 55 gal drums with the tops cut out to make
trashs can strategically placed by those doors.

I used brass tubing that was close to the scale size of a real 55 gallon drum.  OK, it is about 1.5
scale inches too large diameter, but as close as I could get.  The next tubing size down was about
2 scale inches too small, so good enough.  I cut to the appropriate length.  Yeah, no beads, but
nobody is getting that close to see.  Painted appropriate colors, not getting any on the inside, leaving
the bare brass showing inside.

I used wads of toilet tissue stuffed in the "cans" as garbage and dabbed a little brown wash and desert
tan here and there, leaving some white showing.

The door stains, rubbed a Q-tip on some brown artist's "crayon" (chalk) and rubbed on the doors
around the doorknobs.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

Two trash cans in this first image:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:55:44 PM EDT
[#9]
That looks awesome!

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:00:07 PM EDT
[#10]
That is some really nice detail.

I think it needs more homeless camps for authenticity.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:11:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That is some really nice detail.

I think it needs more homeless camps for authenticity.
View Quote
Went to an NMRA open house in our area (hobbyist club for model trains) and we went to a place in a big pole barn, just before entering the guy I was with said you will see some stuff, ignore it.

He had hangings of some people, somewhere and SS troops driving around saluting. Cool layout, gigantic, just had a few WTF scenes.

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks, guys!  

I was recently sent some scale 5-gal buckets by a fellow model railroader.  I have a few places
for those to be placed.

It's the little stuff like that that makes the scenes come alive.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Came here because I'm starting a HO old west layout. Did not expect to see this kind of work. You know you will never really be finished right??
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks, guys!  

I was recently sent some scale 5-gal buckets by a fellow model railroader.  I have a few places
for those to be placed.

It's the little stuff like that that makes the scenes come alive.
View Quote

This is a neat thread!  Your work is pretty incredible.

When I was running today, one of my routes takes me over a semi-active rail line.  One thing that stuck out to me, especially around the overpass, was how much trash there was adjacent to the line.

Now, I know that no one wants a trashy scene, and it really upsets me to see that much litter, but that, like the trashcans, adds that much "more" to your scene.  No need to go overboard with it, but I bet a little bit here and there might make it a little more realistic, sadly...
Link Posted: 5/24/2021 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Thsnks for sharing all the terrific photos of your layout.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 7:49:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Impressive. The interior of the diesel facility needs service pits between the rails and mezzanine platforms between the tracks. Also permanent derails installed outside the garage doors and blue signal protection signs
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 10:40:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Impressive. The interior of the diesel facility needs service pits between the rails and mezzanine platforms between the tracks. Also permanent derails installed outside the garage doors and blue signal protection signs
View Quote

Yeah, I know about the service pits, but there is a 2x4 support under the deck there.  No one would see it anyway, but you are right.

Permanent derailers?  Then how would they get the locos in and out of the shop for service?

Blue protection signs... you are right!  I forgot those!  Will have to take care of that.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:29:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

This is a neat thread!  Your work is pretty incredible.

When I was running today, one of my routes takes me over a semi-active rail line.  One thing that stuck out to me, especially around the overpass, was how much trash there was adjacent to the line.

Now, I know that no one wants a trashy scene, and it really upsets me to see that much litter, but that, like the trashcans, adds that much "more" to your scene.  No need to go overboard with it, but I bet a little bit here and there might make it a little more realistic, sadly...
View Quote

Don't think I'm going to do trash, but need to cut up some old rail, paint it rusty, lay some old rail along the side along with some rotten ties.  Also a pile of ballast here and there would be good to add.

I think the trash drums turned out nicely, and thanks again to SACraig for suggesting them.

Detailing can be endless.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Permanent derailers?  Then how would they get the locos in and out of the shop for service?

View Quote

They're stuck to the tie with spikes.
You can flip them open after unlocking the padlock. They're used to keep stock from rolling into the shop. It's part of the blue signal protection used by the mechanical dpt.

Pic:

I don't know if you could make something small enough to put on the rail, but it's an idea.

Looking around outside the shop here there's lots of stuff outside on pallets (knuckles, old parts, locomotive batteries for core) things like that. There's also equipment like backhoes, loaders, those diesel air compressors on a trailer, portable construction lighting, Flat trailer with oil/water tote for locomotives, Kubota side by side, and the good ol' honeywagon

All ideas.

Oh, looking at your service trucks, they're too clean! And you should put VHF antennas on top, MoW/Mech/engineering vehicles all have radios in them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You can flip them open after unlocking the padlock. They're used to keep stock from rolling into the shop. It's part of the blue signal protection used by the mechanical dpt.

Pic:

https://rrtools.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/dehd1.jpg

I don't know if you could make something small enough to put on the rail, but it's an idea.

Looking around outside the shop here there's lots of stuff outside on pallets (knuckles, old parts, locomotive batteries for core) things like that. There's also equipment like backhoes, loaders, those diesel air compressors on a trailer, portable construction lighting, Flat trailer with oil/water tote for locomotives, Kubota side by side, and the good ol' honeywagon

All ideas.

Oh, looking at your service trucks, they're too clean! And you should put VHF antennas on top, MoW/Mech/engineering vehicles all have radios in them.
View Quote

Damn!  Making more work for me!  

Seriously, all good ideas.

I've been looking for those derailers in HO scale.  No luck so far.

Knuckles on a pallet... that I can do!

And yeah, I need to airbrush some grime on the trucks.  Air compressors and lighting, I can do that.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Outstanding layout. Would be fun to switch those industries.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Great work & a lifetime hobby for sure. May I suggest some weeds around the buildings, sidewalks, etc?
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks great!  You need to find a good miniature graffiti 'artist' to tag your rail cars.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Looks great!  You need to find a good miniature graffiti 'artist' to tag your rail cars.
View Quote
Check page 1!
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 12:28:27 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't remember if I posted this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPdk02ff2q0

Edit:  The loco's headlight flickering at the very beginning is an artifact of how the LED headlight is dimmed and
the camera's video frame rate.  You can't dim an LED by reducing voltage/current.  It's done by rapidly turning
on/off, faster than the human eye can refresh the image.  In person, the headlight is dim, then switched to bright,
as per "Rule 17" of the railroad.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 5:17:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes... thanks!
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Pic:

View Quote

I found these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144109100960

And these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293651198406
Link Posted: 9/8/2021 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pic:

https://rrtools.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/dehd1.jpg

I found these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144109100960

And these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293651198406

The top link in yellow looks correct. The blue flag would be placed directly infront of the derail. I'd place them about where your first MU cable rack is.

The ballast on the service tracks tend to get pretty dirty from oil/grease/pollution tanks leaking on the ground where the locos sit for long periods of time. Detail it the same way you did your turnouts.

Also little piles of sand from where someone leaves the sanders on or they get shutdown incorrectly and the sanders stay on.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Great suggestions!  Thanks!

Just a few minutes ago in my mailbox, little cast metal derailers.  The kind that swing over like your photo.

I have 6 dumpsters that were supposed to be delivered today, also, but didn't make it.  Maybe tomorrow.  
Mail is slow since Hurricane Ida.  Really messed it up, considering New Orleans is a major USPS sort center.

I'll put black and brown washes on the dumpsters.  The ones I ordered are blue with black lids, which is  
what they look like around here, too.  Other areas, green.  Easy enough to paint, but the color these are
coming in is just right.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 5:03:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I got the derailers in, and today have the dumpsters.  I have to assemble and weather them, but they will
make a great addition.  I have two kits of those, each kit will make three dumpsters.  And I can put the black
plastic covers either both covering, or can flip one back open, which I will do.  I may overfill one and have
one of the lids propped up with trash under it, stuff hanging out.

OK, give me a little time on the derailers and dumpsters.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Came here because I'm starting a HO old west layout. Did not expect to see this kind of work. You know you will never really be finished right??
View Quote

Check out these photos from Dave H. (scroll down below the text).  Dave is a fellow modeler, lives about an hour drive away.  
His layout is HO narrow gauge, HOn30, that is, HO scale (1/87) 30" narrow gauge track.

https://modelrailwaylayoutsplans.com/daves-ho-scale-model-railroad/

Notice the near perfect flow of scenery into the photographed backdrop.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Looking forward to it. If you have any questions I've been in Signals and the diesel house, spent plenty of time on on the main and everywhere else.
Link Posted: 9/18/2021 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#35]
You should distress your cars some, also notice how there's a bunch of nasty brown shit/grease thrown up by the wheels in a line on the cars?

Link Posted: 9/28/2021 10:26:17 PM EDT
[#36]
You should throw in a few miserable looking overweight railroad employees milling about in orange or green vests for good measure. Mr maintainer should checking his crossing and the Diesel house employee could be locking out the track. Remember there's car knockers and also contractors like Herzog that run equipment.

Add signal bungalows to your control points, crossings, and any intermediate signals.

Something like this. The big ones would be used at crossings and control points, a simple cut case is fine at an intermediate signal. They get rusty so you'll want to distress them. Because of PTC now everything has a microwave antenna array.

Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:44:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You should distress your cars some, also notice how there's a bunch of nasty brown shit/grease thrown up by the wheels in a line on the cars?

View Quote

You mean, kinda like this?

Attachment Attached File

I have crap on the ends of many of the cars, wheels and trucks rusty, grimy, dirty.  Some trucks have fresh blue
bearings.  I do need to get some more grease and road grime tossed up by the wheels like you suggested.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 9:37:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Check out these photos from Dave H. (scroll down below the text).  Dave is a fellow modeler, lives about an hour drive away.  
His layout is HO narrow gauge, HOn30, that is, HO scale (1/87) 30" narrow gauge track.

https://modelrailwaylayoutsplans.com/daves-ho-scale-model-railroad/

Notice the near perfect flow of scenery into the photographed backdrop.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/344396/Dave_H_RR_jpg-2092028.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/344396/Dave_H_RR_2_jpg-2092030.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/344396/Dave_H_RR_3_jpg-2092032.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/344396/Dave_H_RR_4_jpg-2092033.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/344396/Dave_H_RR_5_jpg-2092034.JPG
View Quote
lookinf for an old model railroad thread, I ran across this one. Any updates, OP?

I just bough a section of photo backdrop for a diorama scene I am doing.  The  owner worked with me to photoshop a backdrop that nearly matches Google Streetview of the area. I am very pleased. He only charged me $20 to do the custom work! (and $100 for the 72 x 30 in premium paper, self adhesive backdrop).
If you have the means to purchase some of this, I highly recommend you consider it for your layout. It would take it fromvery good, to magazine quality.

https://tracksidesceneryshop.com/index.php?id_category=37&controller=category

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top